Is it just me or is second life slow today?

aliasingishard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, aliasingishard said:

Nobody is rezzing at all, not even me. My connection on every other device I have is fine, even on my PC it's fine. So it's something with SL. Is it slow for anyone else?

i'm not that bad but rezzing has been slow for a couple of days which is unusual.  Historically I blame Christmas and all the decorations and scripts around the grid.  No idea if this is true but its what I blame.

Try going to a quiet empty sim and wait to load

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

i'm not that bad but rezzing has been slow for a couple of days which is unusual.  Historically I blame Christmas and all the decorations and scripts around the grid.  No idea if this is true but its what I blame.

Try going to a quiet empty sim and wait to load

Yeah it has been bad for 2 weeks now, even X-Mas free sims like LR are affected.

I have been observing something like this over the past few weeks; when I first log in, rezzing is quite slow, well over 30 seconds and sometimes over 60 seconds, even though everything such as textures is in my cache. I think the time taken for the texture details to arrive from the server might be the delay. (I am on the opposite side of the big pond to where the servers are).

I get the idea that each texture to be loaded is first queried with the LL server(s) to see if the cached version is now outdated? What I do not know is if the server sends a checksum or date which can be compared against the texture stored in my cache. I would hope that this is so, because other wise the whole texture is being sent and then compared against the cache, in which case I can't see the point of actually having the cache, (unless this checking is an essential startup condition).

I suppose the test here is to time the login to full textures, then clear cache, login and time again. I will try this later and report back.

So, the results of experimenting, unsurprisingly, is that the cache does significantly reduce rezz time when first logging in, and also that I can't honestly say SL seemed annoyingly slow.

Tested with a TPV with draw-distance 128m, speed-rezzing via distance stepping enabled, ping sim shown as 180 mSec

Login with cache full, wait until everything in my vicinity is sharp - less than 60 seconds

Login with cache empty, wait for everything including myself to become clear - 240 seconds

Although I had mesh clothing on, I still use a system avatar, and I have noticed that it takes a longer time for people with full mesh bodies to become visible to me when they visit, maybe this has a bearing on the time?

My guess here is that this is a subjective thing, when you login you might be distracted by something and not be tapping your fingers waiting for everything to go sharp, or you might be impatiently waiting to get on with what you had last been doing, the subjective results will be vastly different.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
Test results

Since one of the above posters is in the same situation as myself with a sim ping of c.180ms (determined by direct measurement not in viewer value), it is abundantly clear that texture rezzing is performing well below recent norms.

So far as I know this may be due to issues of communication between the SL servers and the content delivery network or it may be due to the movement of server functions to cloud-based servers.  I cannot help thinking that adding a further communication step in the process cannot help but increase overall performance, possibly resulting in slower texture delivery times.  Recent updates to the server software to facilitate Animesh and Bakes on Mesh "may" have reduced server texture delivery performance.

7 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I get the idea that each texture to be loaded is first queried with the LL server(s) to see if the cached version is now outdated? What I do not know is if the server sends a checksum or date which can be compared against the texture stored in my cache. I would hope that this is so, because other wise the whole texture is being sent and then compared against the cache, in which case I can't see the point of actually having the cache, (unless this checking is an essential startup condition).

Now if that IS true, I cannot see that  recent changes can do otherwise than reduce performance.  I should point out that I have take great pains to ensure that neither my system performance nor my ISP performance is the limiting factor in this matter.

What I do note is that no-one has yet suggested why or how this phenomenon has come about.  I would not expect a Linden response but there are many regular contributors to this forum that are, shall we say, well connected with the operators of Second Life.

Edited by Aishagain

56 minutes ago, TechDave said:

Several of my systems have done Windoze updates this week. I have them set to auto-download. When they do that my SL will nearly grind to a halt! 

Guess I should set a Preference for SL Only! In my OS somewhere! 

I never was happy with autoupdates, but sadly folk's general stuopidity seem sto make enforcing them a wise idea- last windows I had was XP and towards the end disableing automatic updates became a real PITA.

4 hours ago, Chromeice9 said:

I dont understand why my textures are not uploading and why its taking so long to load and rezz in at places. Over the past week its just getting worse. Any Ideas ?

open the viewer.  You don't have to log in.  Go to HELP - ABOUT and paste the information here.  Though keep in mind things are often a bit slower around christmas time,

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.