What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I never ignore, I evade; or, if I feel like it, I confront. And I'm confident enough I can do both equally well.

Sure. But I never found the "How are you looking today ?"-thread one of the places to do just that.

Ignore is still preferred by me.

My 2 cents.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

I never ignore, I evade; or, if I feel like it, I confront. And I'm confident enough I can do both equally well.

I do, or can ignore, but I won't always. It depends on the situation.  That choice is mine, not somebody else's who has All The Answers to the Universe. Sometimes my best option is to flounce, quietly or officially. Sometimes it is to tell an as5hole when they are being an as5hole and why. And sometimes it is to research beaver dwellings.

I used to have in my sig line my favorite quote of all time. It has been on my profile, here, as a texture on my SL home wall, in RL in a frame...Vaclav Havel's  'Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it' I have yet to meet anyone on this Forum who has found the truth, but plenty who think they have.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I *wish* that particular ppl knows who they are. I'm pretty sure they don't. And this ppl is one big reason why I flounced out. Months and months of this tsk-tsking crapola. Who died and left her in charge? "No words!" she types...in word posts over and over. Also I've noticed said Thread Ruler and Arbitor of All Things Allowable, does herself sometimes make remarks that would violate her own pronouncements. And the thread "personality" (as in group think) just looks on. And yeah, complain here in this thread because if you complain over there, even in the most polite way possible, the entire thread will jump on you for being mean to a darling... it is that weird of a thread personality.

I don't know if said ppl are complaining about the occasional quote with picture, but I know there are several folks who do pages and pages and pages of the things and yeah, that can be very annoying, but as you said... use your effing scroll button and exercise your hand muscles (and some common sense restraint). That might not be a direct quote of your words... When I type about feeling stabby, that ppl is one I tend to feel stabby about. Effing special snowflake (and not meant in the political sense, but in the sense prior to that but after the positive meaning of the word... continuing the inter-thread crossover vibe here).

Je suis calme!

It should not surprise you that I fully agreed with your very well put words here. But the "Je suis calme!" meme I just adored. :) I saw you post the gif of it yesterday (I can't seem to google the gif, sans seeing inside a wegsite container of some sort, which is another new trend, looks like, and a good pet peeve right there, all of its ownl but I digress). So, kudos for the "Je suis calme!👍❤️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Sure. But I never found the "How are you looking today ?"-thread one of the places to do just that.

Ignore is still preferred by me.

My 2 cents.

No, you've found that thread to be one in which you poke and poke and obviously upset people and then claim it is all a joke and then keep it up for over 24 hours when others have moved on. And so... exactly HOW is that ignoring? It is LAUGHABLE what you type here. But then, you have shown yourself to be a hypocrite many times over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I do, or can ignore, but I won't always. It depends on the situation.  That choice is mine, not somebody else's who has All The Answers to the Universe. Sometimes my best option is to flounce, quietly or officially. Sometimes it is to tell an as5hole when they are being an as5hole and why. And sometimes it is to research beaver dwellings.

I used to have in my sig line my favorite quote of all time. It has been on my profile, here, as a texture on my SL home wall, in RL in a frame...Vaclav Havel's  'Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it' I have yet to meet anyone on this Forum who has found the truth, but plenty who think they have.

I love that saying. :) And it's sage advice to boot.

Just to clarify, I do ignore ppl, but not in the sense of putting them offcially on ignore. I love seeing how trolls sometimes are trying to taunt me, which often elicits a internal chuckle, but I rarely, if ever, respond.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Just to clarify, I do ignore ppl, but not in the sense of putting them offcially on ignore.

Ah, thanks for the clarification because that is how I read it (the wrong way). And since you have mentioned that you often aren't really cognizant of the subtexts going on here, and hopefully not mansplaining here (another cross thread reference!), Marigold and TDD are tag teaming because they are besties, and the beaver yell video, while hugely humorous, is a troll dig at me for stuff that I might have done under the influence of poisonous peanut bugs last night over in the feelings thread. And yes, there's the subtext about tsking grown-assed adults. fwiw

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification because that is how I read it (the wrong way). And since you have mentioned that you often aren't really cognizant of the subtexts going on here, and hopefully not mansplaining here (another cross thread reference!), Marigold and TDD are tag teaming because they are besties, and the beaver yell video, while hugely humorous, is a troll dig at me for stuff that I might have done under the influence of poisonous peanut bugs last night over in the feelings thread. And yes, there's the subtext about tsking grown-assed adults. fwiw

Sorry to hear this happened to you. :( And sorry I missed it, once again (like with the sheep photo). And not just missed it, I was utterly oblivious to it, even. Thx for the heads-up. 

12 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The beever yell video is because that is what I felt like putting here. Take it how you like it. There are a few too over sensitive people about, winding each other up.  

But I hold my hands up - TDD123 and I are actually friends. I didn't think we were "tag-teaming" - I am pretty much on my own. No one pulls my strings, not TDD123 or anyone else. 

I did think Seicher was one of my forum friends, until that remark actually! Blimey, I do learn something new every day.

/me pulls the knife out from my back. 

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Sad 1

Back in the olden days, we all posted our selfies in The VaNiTy ThReAd, and it was a lot of fun and no drama that I recall. I don't know what's going on with that photo thread you all are in, but I took a look in there earlier today and am not at all inclined to ever post in it. Way too much drama (from all sides) for what is supposed to be a fun photo thread.

*goes to look for The VaNiTy ThReAd*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Sorry to hear this happened to you. :( And sorry I missed it, once again (like with the sheep photo). And not just missed it, I was utterly oblivious to it, even. Thx for the heads-up. 

I missed the sheep photo also. I managed to see the horse sex photo and the dog ***** burning thing though, which I could have done without really. It hasn't been a great week for some animals. 

@kiramanell  lol. I've learned a few things from my 6-7 years (or more, if it is still ongoing, I dunno, I don't get Twitter) of being heavily trolled in and out of SL by a SL crazy person. One thing I've learned is that unless you are smack dab in the middle of it personally, you probably don't know most of the subtext. Those of us on the receiving end, and probably the giving end too, tend to think "the stuff" is well-known by EVERYONE. That's rarely the case. Only a few people generally know what is going on. Back in the olden days, what went on with me and *that person* in the forums (which was truly the Wild West in what could be said and done) was pretty well known. It was hard to get away from if you were in the general discussion portion. Even still, 99.9% of the people didn't really know the particulars. And why should they? At the time I didn't know that. But I do now. So I get it. I also know that I'm no different, and am generally not privy to the subtext other people have going on. And I'm not unhappy about that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

The beever yell video is because that is what I felt like putting here. Take it how you like it. There are a few too over sensitive people about, winding each other up.  

But I hold my hands up - TDD123 and I are actually friends. I didn't think we were "tag-teaming" - I am pretty much on my own. No one pulls my strings, not TDD123 or anyone else. 

I did think Seicher was one of my forum friends, until that remark actually! Blimey, I do learn something new every day.

/me pulls the knife out from my back. 

Thanks a bunch.

Well then, here's a chance for me to prove that I mean what I write. (And I mean what I write about what I write.) Several comments above I said that if you find out you were wrong, correct it and move on.  I said if you owe an apology, make it and don't use the words "actually" or "but." So here goes (and not the first time I've done this because I haven't found The Truth either.)

Marigold, I *have* been taking several of your posts personally, including the humorous video, but also the one about the head in toilet emoji because of mean girls. In several threads, and even IM, I feel like you've been doing the tsk-tsk thing to me (though lord knows, not the only one). IF that is how you meant it, then I take nothing back.

IF that is not how you meant it, then I apologize for my remarks. I will admit to be overly-sensitive then, for pretty good reasons, but being wrong nonetheless.

IF that is not how you meant things then I feel pretty crappy about my remarks, and I'm truly sorry.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Back in the olden days, we all posted our selfies in The VaNiTy ThReAd, and it was a lot of fun and no drama that I recall. I don't know what's going on with that photo thread you all are in, but I took a look in there earlier today and am not at all inclined to ever post in it. Way too much drama (from all sides) for what is supposed to be a fun photo thread.

Like a year or so ago, when I was posting there myself, The VaNiTy ThReAd was quite active. Not sure why it got unpopular, but when I returned, it had as good as no new pictures in it. Maybe that's about to change now. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Like a year or so ago, when I was posting there myself, The VaNiTy ThReAd was quite active. Not sure why it got unpopular, but when I returned, it had as good as no new pictures in it. Maybe that's about to change now. :)

I hope so. It's a great "scrapbook" of the forums, including some who are sadly no longer with us due to passing away in RL. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

...the beaver yell video, while hugely humorous, is a troll dig at me for stuff that I might have done under the influence of poisonous peanut bugs last night over in the feelings thread.

I didn't take it that way.  And you should not feel ashamed of anything you said or did, or might have, or are alleged to have, while under the influence.

It was epic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I hope so. It's a great "scrapbook" of the forums, including some who are sadly no longer with us due to passing away in RL. 

I don't know how to get the nested quotes, because I wanted to show the comment kiramanell said that you commented upon.

OH! The VaNiTy thread. Ya know, I realized there was another selfie thread down there but really haven't looked at it. I remember that thread! And because of what you said I just went back and started at page one. Oh. My. That brought up memories... and triggered me a bit. :/ But one thing I'm noticing is that there's just as much banter in it (so far, through pg 15) as photos. That got me to thinking... That's the kind of forum *I'm* used to. So maybe not so much the ppl with the sticks-up-their-collective-butts? I much prefer the kind I'm reading in that old thread, and guess what? I'm using my scroll button a lot doing so. It. Works.

I can speculate why it fell out of favor, but I won't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I didn't take it that way.  And you should not feel ashamed of anything you said or did, or might have, or are alleged to have, while under the influence.

It was epic.

Thanks. It is that subtext stuff I was talking with kira about. Or maybe not... as I said in my recent post to Marigold, I may have made a mistake, if so, then I was in error. Pure and simple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I don't know how to get the nested quotes, because I wanted to show the comment kiramanell said that you commented upon.

OH! The VaNiTy thread. Ya know, I realized there was another selfie thread down there but really haven't looked at it. I remember that thread! And because of what you said I just went back and started at page one. Oh. My. That brought up memories... and triggered me a bit. :/ But one thing I'm noticing is that there's just as much banter in it (so far, through pg 15) as photos. That got me to thinking... That's the kind of forum *I'm* used to.

Like a year ago, I think it was pretty much a toss-up which of the 2 threads to post in: they were about equally popular. And if there was a difference between the kind of banter, I sure as heck didn't notice (but, then again, we already established I miss a lot. To paraphrase the poet "Unwissend bin ich nicht; doch viel ist mir unbewußt.").

And I love banter. Banter is good. Banter is the opposite of social distancing: it brings ppl together, in a light-hearted, friendly manner. These aren't art projects to be handed in (although some would certainly qualify), there is no official jury; just ppl enjoying each other's good company and their beautiful creations. At least that's the way I choose to see it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

OH! The VaNiTy thread. Ya know, I realized there was another selfie thread down there but really haven't looked at it. I remember that thread! And because of what you said I just went back and started at page one. Oh. My. That brought up memories... and triggered me a bit. :/ But one thing I'm noticing is that there's just as much banter in it (so far, through pg 15) as photos. That got me to thinking... That's the kind of forum *I'm* used to. So maybe not so much the ppl with the sticks-up-their-collective-butts? I much prefer the kind I'm reading in that old thread, and guess what? I'm using my scroll button a lot doing so. It. Works.

I can speculate why it fell out of favor, but I won't.

Yeah, I get it, and there is definitely at least one person in there I scroll past very quickly, but despite that, I thought the everyday flow of that thread was fun. And for the most part, people were supportive of others' photos. I give Valerie Inshan (who is no longer with us) a huge amount of credit for the tone she set in the thread. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

And I love banter. Banter is good. Banter is the opposite of social distancing: it brings ppl together, in a light-hearted, friendly manner.

I could prove you VERY wrong on that score!  😆😐

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Years back The Vanity Thread was often for more polished photos, usually listed with credits, and seemed to be for both showing off your avatar and your photography skills.  The 'How Does Your Avatar Look Today' thread was created to be more of a casual look-of-the-day (LOTD) thread.  In the beginning, very few of the photos were super professional looking - more like snapshots - and seldom any credits given unless someone asked.  There was minimal post-processing done and few 'set up scenes', but more snapshots taken at home or out exploring / having fun.  1.5 - 2 years ago, the Vanity Thread started falling off the first page and the LOTD thread started getting more action.  Shortly there-after it started morphing into more of what the Vanity Thread originally was, with lots more photos focusing on photography itself (setting up the scene using backdrops, getting the lighting just right, using projectors, DOF, etc..)  rather than just LOTD - though there is still a handful or two of folks that still post in more of a LOTD  type.  

There have been 'discussions' about side chit-chat, too much emphasis on photography skills, too much post-processing, too much quoting of the pictures, etc....  I stopped posting on any sort of a regular basis quite a while ago, partly because of the drama around those topics I just mentioned and partly because for a while it really did seem to morph in to a thread focused almost solely on quality of the photos.  My candid shots felt totally out of place, so I now mostly browse, give Likes here & there, and sometimes make a comment.  I have probably posted less than a half dozen pictures in the last 12-18 months.

I didn't drop back to the Vanity Thread one though because that one has always seemed like more professional shots - though without the drama - and thus was always somewhat intimidating to me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I missed the sheep photo also. I managed to see the horse sex photo and the dog ***** burning thing though, which I could have done without really. It hasn't been a great week for some animals. 

I saw a bunch of the posts from the dipsh*t today, but luckily have missed all of their previous insanity sessions -- so luckily have not seen any of the photos or video folks have mentioned.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.