What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The wide-eyed, innocent "what happened?" was a terrible move, but honestly it's been painfully obvious since long before that.

I'm trying to determine whether that 'what happened' was funny or sad. I'm going with funny for the moment, because of the hopeless transparency. 😜

• Like 3

Mother's Day is the 4th Sunday in Lent. It's been that way for over 500 years. That's longer than the colonials have had a country. Just as with both world wars, the Americans turn up ridiculously late and start making everything about themselves, and it annoys me every year. It's one thing to get the date wrong, but at least have the courtesy to do so quietly in the corner!

Now get off my lawn :P

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can never delete and you only get 24 hours to edit a post.

And probably people have already seen posts, possibly copied them, so why bother? If they are so horrendous that they shouldn't be up then a moderator will take them down, otherwise, :::shrug::: live with your own stuff, own your own stuff, even if it makes you look like an as5hole. And I'm saying this in general, but if the shoe fits... Posting in various threads about simply needing to remove posts is just a little...odd, btw.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4

I'm glad posts cannot be deleted by the user. With the possible exception of a 2-3 minute window to delete duplicate posts, it would do more harm than good. It would just make things more confusing as the subsequent conversation could become nonsensical, as people respond to a since-deleted post. I know a few people go back and edit out their words, but at least then it's clear that the poster tried to erase their words.

Besides, if just one person has quoted your post in a reply, it's on show anyway. Don't press submit if you're not willing for your words to be permanent.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I know a few people go back and edit out their words, but at least then it's clear that the poster tried to erase their words.

Besides, if just one person has quoted your post in a reply, it's on show anyway. Don't press submit if you're not willing for your words to be permanent.

Yeah, another pet peeve of mine, possibly already mentioned ages ago, is what is often done by trolls. They will post something stupid, and unless you copy their stupidity in a response, when they edit it to look innocent and "who me?" the following comments look out of place (the troll's intent). I get snagged by that a lot because I forget about it, don't quote, etc. Effing trolls. 

I'm no saint, but I don't think I've ever requested a comment of mine be pulled by a moderator. As Sylvia says, "I said what I said." I have rarely just deleted a post and replaced it with a period or x, since you can't have a purely blank screen. I did it a few days ago in the "buy shapes?" thread because after a few hours I thought better of it, and no one had reacted or copied me, so no harm, no foul.

My thoughts are, and I don't rule the Internet (rats!) so ymmv: Think before you post (something I don't always follow), as you say "Don't press submit if you're not willing for your words or images to be permanent"; if your posting style makes a post unclear and it gets misunderstood then own up to it and clarify without bashing other people for your lack of clarity; if you truly posted something wrong then admit it and move along; if you posted something really troll-y and hurt other people and you care that you did so, then apologize with a REAL apology that doesn't use the words "but" or "actually" and doesn't negate itself by explaining how you really feel bad but the other person is an idiot.  It is surprising and disappointing how many people just cannot do a simple apology, without the explanations and disclaimers or the one's who don't even try because they are too proud or something to admit "yep, I was a jerk."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hey troll dude. No one cares. Literally NOT ONE PERSON gives a flying fvck about whatever damage you think you're doing. If you think you are being clever, or hurtful, or... gawd knows what... you aren't.

And yes, formumites, I know not to "feed" trolls, I know the spam will be ARed by me and everyone, but gah... sometimes a girl just has to vent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How weirdly disturbed and obsessive does one need to be to undertake so much effort, and spend so much time doxxing someone because of a supposed grievance about their behaviour in a virtual world?

Maybe the use of SL should require background checks, as (one hopes) are necessary for gun ownership.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe the use of SL should require background checks, as (one hopes) are necessary for gun ownership.

I know I quip fairly often about Canada with you. You probably roll your eyes in annoyance that "there she goes again, enough s'ready" but I can't help it... that's such an adorably Canadian sentence. Live free or die, baby! We don't need no stinking background checks. Now git me a beer and some poutine, woman.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually it's a little scary what I see some people write before they go back and edit their posts   :(

And that's why I'm glad when they don't. As much as one could have argued with Pep in days long past, one thing he said has stuck with me as true. And that was he liked it when the idiots left up their posts to show how idiotic they are. Yep. As awful as some people can be, I'd rather know it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:
10 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

How come you aren't banned already, doxxing douche?!

I assume a constantly roaming IP address that prevents a perma ban from sticking.

I had heard, years ago, that LL could do a mac address ban and that requires a new computer to get around.  I don't enough about that level of computer & network details to know for sure though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had heard, years ago, that LL could do a mac address ban and that requires a new computer to get around.  I don't enough about that level of computer & network details to know for sure though.

At the very least, they could just delete the account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fupoitre said:

i stop when zoo philes banned second life forever gone good

You are wasting your life with this. Let it go. 

NO ONE cares about your deal here. NO ONE. 

It may be very important to you, for good reason. But what you are doing won't work. It won't. 

As annoying as you are being, I say this with all sincerity: It won't work. You are wasting valuable time on earth with this. No one will remember. No one cares.

For your own sake, walk away. Get help, because your behavior screams that you need to talk to someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Actually it's a little scary what I see some people write before they go back and edit their posts   :(

And that's why I'm glad when they don't. As much as one could have argued with Pep in days long past, one thing he said has stuck with me as true. And that was he liked it when the idiots left up their posts to show how idiotic they are. Yep. As awful as some people can be, I'd rather know it.

I totally agree...once you've posted it should remain.

I was referring though to people I've seen post super hateful, abusive comments but then, I guess, decide it was over the top and edit it within a minute or two of the initial post.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

How weirdly disturbed and obsessive does one need to be to undertake so much effort, and spend so much time doxxing someone because of a supposed grievance about their behaviour in a virtual world?

It's more the gurning stupidity that gets me. Nobody else cares about that person's RL information, nobody else has a grievance against them, nobody else is going to stalk or harass that person and cause them any RL trouble. This paramecium can't grasp that and that's annoying.

• Like 3

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

It's more the gurning stupidity that gets me. Nobody else cares about that person's RL information, nobody else has a grievance against them, nobody else is going to stalk or harass that person and cause them any RL trouble. This paramecium can't grasp that and that's annoying.

I am assuming a person who is quite mentally disturbed and possibly cannot stop his/her obsessive behavior. The level this has had, over what, months? shows someone with clear problems. Not that I want it here. Not that it isn't annoying. Not that I'm some perfect person living on a higher plane. It just makes me sad that someone is obviously not right and keeps hurting themselves and others... and can't grasp that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

At the very least, they could just delete the account.

I don't pay enough attention to the avatar name, but is it always the same? If it is, then yeah, I don't understand the inability to just shut the account. But I always just assumed it was the case of an avatar posting, doxxing, getting banned and then s/he just repeats the process with a different avatar and new IP address.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.