What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I don't pay enough attention to the avatar name, but is it always the same? If it is, then yeah, I don't understand the inability to just shut the account. But I always just assumed it was the case of an avatar posting, doxxing, getting banned and then s/he just repeats the process with a different avatar and new IP address.

Yeah, it's always the same account. Sure, he or she could 'easily' create a new account, but I reckon doing so takes at least a minute or two -- long enough, you'd hope, for her/him to realize, like you said, that their remaining life span could be filled with better things to do.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's a new name, but with similar letters at the end.

This is a mild form of sadism...this kind of of griefing. 

Thanks, for the info on the name. I thought it might be something like that.

Honestly, yes... this is sadistic to the forum and the person doxxed but... equally masochistic. I see real self harm here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

FFS. I have reported every post by this douche, and have carpal tunnel now. I think it's time to go find some lunch and hope for clean up in here soon. I am so not in the mood for this today.

I know how you feel.  I have been doing that same thing.  I was going to try to tag one of the Linden's but it has been ages since I did and forgot how to do it.  Also, I'm not sure which Linden to tag on those posts.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Sigh, I thought it was the same name. Shows how much I know. :(

Anytime anyone spams the forums like that, the account gets a perma-ban, but the person at the keyboard just creates a new account.  They are likely using a vpn or someone else's wifi -- coffee shop or such -- to get around any IP ban.  True hackers can fully obscure themselves, but these posts show that we are not dealing with anyone with that much ability, but getting around the IP ban is often enough.

ETA:  I thought that LL could do more than an IP ban - like a mac address or such that is computer specific and doesn't change.  I don't know enough there to know for sure.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Anytime anyone spams the forums like that, the account gets a perma-ban, but the person at the keyboard just creates a new account.  They are likely using a vpn or someone else's wifi -- coffee shop or such -- to get around any IP ban.  True hackers can fully obscure themselves, but these posts show that we are not dealing with anyone with that much ability.

I think it would be safe to guess that this person is a bit unhinged, to be this fixated.  How many accounts do you think they have gone through?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I am assuming a person who is quite mentally disturbed and possibly cannot stop his/her obsessive behavior. The level this has had, over what, months? shows someone with clear problems. Not that I want it here. Not that it isn't annoying. Not that I'm some perfect person living on a higher plane. It just makes me sad that someone is obviously not right and keeps hurting themselves and others... and can't grasp that.

Assuming it's the same person who posted the animal abuse video...clearly they understand enough to know what causes distress and to recognise cruelty, and still wish to spread it.

I'm not qualified to state how much such a person can truly be held responsible for such actions, and I suppose we could argue forever about whether an act of evil, that literally has no purpose except to cause and perpetuate indiscriminate harm, necessarily means an evil person. In my own mind, however, it's not our responsibility to fix such a person and I'm content to dismiss them as filth. 

• Like 1

Joining with Sylvia to go eat something...she and I not actually noshing together although I'm sure that would be lovely. You know what I mean...

Anyway, I haven't eaten a poisonous bug peanut today, my meds are all correctly applied, and I haven't OD'd on coffee so my manic level at the Forums is much diminished today. I'm going to go pretend I have a life for a while. (Remember, though, I'm an unreliable narrator.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

In my own mind, however, it's not our responsibility to fix such a person and I'm content to dismiss them as filth. 

Agree. And I'm not arguing with anyone about their disgust, etc. Just today, for me, with my particular mood, it makes me feel sad to see someone do that much damage to themselves because (assuming because) they are ill. It doesn't excuse them, etc etc. I've not been quiet about my own mental illness, which thankfully is quite different from what this person is exhibiting. There's garden variety crazy like I have and then there is CRAZY crazy. I still can empathize and for whatever reason I am today. Not saying anyone else has to, especially since this stuff is effing annoying and yeah, I did see at least the dog thing and really wish I hadn't. That was traumatic for me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm no saint, but I don't think I've ever requested a comment of mine be pulled by a moderator. As Sylvia says, "I said what I said." I have rarely just deleted a post and replaced it with a period or x, since you can't have a purely blank screen. I did it a few days ago in the "buy shapes?" thread because after a few hours I thought better of it, and no one had reacted or copied me, so no harm, no foul.

Sylvia is a wise woman. :) And it's simply honorable. 'Quod scripsi, scripsi', most famously used by Pontius Pilate, in response to the Jewish priests who objected to his wording written on the sign above Jesus' cross. I never edit out unsavory comments of mine, either (although, at times, I regret having made a pile-on posts or so). I *do* edit a lot, actually, but those are all just typos, that don't impact the text materially. But, for the rest, I stand by what I said. "What I have written, I have written."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Agree. And I'm not arguing with anyone about their disgust, etc. Just today, for me, with my particular mood, it makes me feel sad to see someone do that much damage to themselves because (assuming because) they are ill. It doesn't excuse them, etc etc. I've not been quiet about my own mental illness, which thankfully is quite different from what this person is exhibiting. There's garden variety crazy like I have and then there is CRAZY crazy. I still can empathize and for whatever reason I am today. Not saying anyone else has to, especially since this stuff is effing annoying and yeah, I did see at least the dog thing and really wish I hadn't. That was traumatic for me.

This person reminds me so much of someone I knew on an old forum that I wonder if it's the same guy. The exact same level of obsession, sharing distressing content, doxxing over and over, threats, DOS attacks, and it went on for literally years. Eventually the site owner revealed the lunatic's own identity (he was harassing the owner in RL) and it transpired that the guy had a job and passed for relatively normal in RL. It would appear that he could in fact control it when it suited him. 

What was his grievance against the site and its owner? After the site closed and a new one reopened, someone else nicked the account name he had been using before he could register it and the owner refused to intervene. He had to use a different name. I'm not kidding. That was literally the reason.

It would honestly not surprise me if this is the same person.

• Like 6

A particular pet peeve of mine is when certain ppl (you know who you are), are ever-so often instructing others not to repost images in the 'How does your avatar look today?' thread. To which I say, Reposting (aka, responding with a comment to the picture), is the most natural thing to do. I am not going to post something silly like, "You know, that picture you posted 3 pages ago? I really like that." That's just stupid. When I comment, I do so WITH the picture in question. That is not going to change. Peeps don't like that, 'Scroll' is your friend.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TDD123 said:

ETA : It's not about text.

Yeah yeah, its about being an as5hole in photos. The comments I made above about the topic of deleting posts stand.  Damage done and all that. For the rest of the peeps sorry about the bit of personal overlay here but since the M.O. (above) is to block people, as Beth and I have learned, public is the only way. Nice, huh?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

A particular pet peeve of mine is when certain ppl (you know who you are), are ever-so often instructing others not to repost images in the 'How does your avatar look today?' thread. To which I say, Reposting (aka, responding with a comment to the picture), is the most natural thing to do. I am not going to post something silly like, "You know, that picture you posted 3 pages ago? I really like that." That's just stupid. When I comment, I do so WITH the picture in question. That is not going to change. Peeps don't like that, 'Scroll' is your friend.

I *wish* that particular ppl knows who they are. I'm pretty sure they don't. And this ppl is one big reason why I flounced out. Months and months of this tsk-tsking crapola. Who died and left her in charge? "No words!" she types...in word posts over and over. Also I've noticed said Thread Ruler and Arbitor of All Things Allowable, does herself sometimes make remarks that would violate her own pronouncements. And the thread "personality" (as in group think) just looks on. And yeah, complain here in this thread because if you complain over there, even in the most polite way possible, the entire thread will jump on you for being mean to a darling... it is that weird of a thread personality.

I don't know if said ppl are complaining about the occasional quote with picture, but I know there are several folks who do pages and pages and pages of the things and yeah, that can be very annoying, but as you said... use your effing scroll button and exercise your hand muscles (and some common sense restraint). That might not be a direct quote of your words... When I type about feeling stabby, that ppl is one I tend to feel stabby about. Effing special snowflake (and not meant in the political sense, but in the sense prior to that but after the positive meaning of the word... continuing the inter-thread crossover vibe here).

Je suis calme!

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

My peeve, just had to listen to a clown address the UK and now the spam back.  I think I'll open the wine

The only thing the Tories are testing 100,000 times a day is my patience.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Is there an animation for flushing someon'e head down the toilet, because from all the schoolgirl bullying type sh1te posts I've seen lately, I sure as hell feel the need. 

Still y'all are having fun, so why make it a pet peeve of mine.

/me continues to wander aimlessly around in Second Life, finding houses that look like sticks of rock - rock, there's a pet peeve, especially when there are no dentists available !!!

• Like 1

I thought about starting another photo thread, but there is already another one. Mine would have started out with an explanation about how discussions are ok, that it is a primarily photo thread, but the occasional good natured banter is fine, that talks about how to take photos is fine, that talks about where to find... are fine. In other words, stick-up-the-butt prancing around is discouraged. But as I said, there's another selfie thread already there. And I would have to care much more than I do. And there is Flickr and other places where I can get IMed because it isn't FAIR that I don't ♥ so-and-so's average photos because I don't like the person.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.