What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, on the bright side, think about how all of these new spam-posting idiot alts are boosting SL sign-up stats!

Seriously, can one take out a contract on a virtual person?

Surely, only by means of an equally virtual contract. 😛 

• Like 1

Ya know how I said I don't remove posts? I just did this one because I'm getting spacey and posted it in the wrong thread! ffs

I'm guessing the Marigold probably has me on mute now and isn't going to see my post about the possible misunderstanding/apology a few pages back in this thread. If one of you kind folks would please flag her to make sure she sees it, I'd appreciate that. Blocking is a great tool, but it can be a p.i.t.a. sometimes (that's a peeve I've run up against a few times this week). Of course she may have seen it and is choosing to ignore it. Dunno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh SURE. Incriminate ME, why don't you?

Ah, the picture threads. How could anything so completely anodyne and goofy become a source of such consternation?

The conflicts there seem to me to align around two different but overlapping axes. On the one hand, we have the "Just Pictures, Dammit!" set, vs. the "Banter and Discuss" set, and on the other the "Simple Snapshots of How I Look" vs. the "This is ART, Dahling" approach.

Really, it's an extension of a problem that's endemic to forum threads in general: no one, not even the OP, has the authority to determine what a thread is supposed to do, or where it goes. They're dynamic and flowing and changing, and sometimes people don't like those changes. I know, personally, some people who've stopped posting pics on the Avatar thread because they are put off by censoriousness of those who don't want banter (and not just Seicher: at least two other people have said this to me), but I also know people (at least two or three) who stop posting there when they feel that the photos are being overwhelmed by chattiness. And we have people like Lil who feel intimidated by the fact that so many of the photos are higly "finished," and others (like myself, tbh) who just don't do simple snapshots anymore. (That's not out of any sense of superiority or anything: I just want my pics to look as nice as I can make them, within reasonable limits.)

There's really not going to be any one way of keep everyone happy.

I myself like the banter and discussion. In fact, it's the main reason I post there: if it's just photos I want to see, especially "high quality" ones (please note the scare quotes!), I go to Flickr, where I follow some really top-notch photographers. I also think that people should be able to post any kind of pic there, from the simplest snapshot, to the more artsy, highly processed stuff. And in both cases, it's because I like the community there. I'm in that thread for the people, and that includes those who post snapshots as much as it does those who post photographic "art." You're someone whose presence I value regardless of the kind of pics you post.

I don't have an answer here: someone's going to be unhappy. Maybe one solution -- which I know Kira at one time was advocating -- was a separate thread for talky posts and pics. I'd be good with that, except that it breaks up the community we have, and will in effect mean that people aren't talking to others with a different approach.

Or, maybe, breaking up that community, if it's becoming dysfunctional and exclusionary in some way, is a good thing?

Your posts are always difficult to reply to, as anything said almost immediately looks like ''Less than, and why did you even bother?!" 😋 And because I'm always trying to be careful not to fawn all over you in the process (but I'm not a good enough writer to pull that off, LOL).

I really like the artsy, highly processed stuff -- you know, the kind you make. :) Your work is generally glorious: fancy, made by an erudite soul, and masterfully executed. I'm not sure it's Photoshop skills even; more like massive artistic vision. I'm like you, in that regard, but sans the talent, LOL. I do recognize it when I see it, though. And that's already half the thrill.

By the way, 'highly processed' doesn't mean complex per se. In fact, I often love artwork with an exceedingly simple theme, but magical because of the talent of the artist -- precisely almost because it really *is* so simple. To make something look simple is, as you know, actually very hard, of course. See The tale of the Chinese emperor and the picture of the rooster You have that gift.

There are, naturally, a great many others I like. Like Eva Knoller. Her extremely gifted sense of scenery, and soft pastel tones, makes you just want to dive into her world, and cuddle her. 🤗 Then there's Saravendi, whose lighting and post-processing skills are top-notch. And there be folks like Seicher Rae, of course, who prefer a more 'raw' looking approach. And by raw I don't mean 'less artistic.' It's al just a matter of taste, and what style best befits a particular scene.

I do not like the idea of having to break up the community. I do not like fighting either (especially not if the constant 'You must post like this here' comments work to do exactly that: pull the community apart). I'd like to think of these photo threads as a museum of modern arts, kinda. A place I can peruse, enjoy widly different styles in, and occasionally engage in a bit of harmless banter with the other patrons. But if it needs be that for banter, or raw, or whatever, I have to use another corridor of the same building, I will gladly support that too.

FAKE EDIT: Hope I didn't make any typos this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I really like the artsy, highly processed stuff -- you know, the kind you make. :) Your work is generally glorious: fancy, made by an erudite soul, and masterfully executed. I'm not sure it's Photoshop skills even; more like massive artistic vision. I'm like you, in that regard, but sans the talent, LOL. I do recognize it when I see it, though. And that's already half the thrill.

Jeebus @Scylla Rhiadra, how much did you have to pay Kira for that?  :::smiles sweetly:::

Yes, yes, I kid. And she's right, but, well, you know: me.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Tolya, remove his name from your post maybe? Otherwise you're doing the spammer's work for them.

Because nobody here has seen those posts or anybody here knows who the target is?  Kinda a stretch.

27 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I do not like the idea of having to break up the community. I do not like fighting either (especially not if the constant 'You must post like this here' comments work to do exactly that: pull the community apart). I'd like to think of these photo threads as a museum of modern arts, kinda. A place I can peruse, enjoy widly different styles in, and occasionally engage in a bit of harmless banter with the other patrons. But if it needs be that for banter, or raw, or whatever, I have to use another corridor of the same building, I will gladly support that too.

It isn't my intent with the new thread to break up the community. I assume some people who have nothing better to do will label it as such, but eff that and eff them. It just ain't true. Yes, it kind of sprung from the b1tching in this thread, but as you see it kind of morphed into "well this would be kind of fun..." and "there's a niche for that..." I'm just hoping the thread doesn't get buried by getting moved into the Forum's nether regions. 

Actually, as this thread has discussed, I'm kind of hoping it relieves some tension in the Forum. It is obvious some like some chat and some don't. I feel strangled and perpetually walking on eggshells in that thread. I mean, c'mon, getting hassled for 2 days over a freaking compliment? And then having ppl do what you wrote about ppl doing? I'm assuming IF people use the new thread (and who knows? it could be a lead balloon) that there will be some cross-over between threads. 

I hope it'll be fun, that it will be broad enough in theme for people to do wtf they want within reason (and narrow enough that as5hats can get ARd). But this is a thing that involves people. I am a founding member of Misanthropes R Us (sometimes Misanthropes Anon) so... yeah. We'll see.

Edited by Seicher Rae
clarify a pronoun or two
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Because nobody here has seen those posts or anybody here knows who the target is?  Kinda a stretch.

Yeah, Tolya, actually, there probably are people, and will be people in the future, that don't know who the target is, or what they are accused of.

Why on earth would you repeat an unfounded slander by a nutcase here? What possible purpose does it serve?

I'm sorry, but I've reported your post and asked that it be taken down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, Tolya, actually, there probably are people, and will be people in the future, that don't know who the target is, or what they are accused of.

Why on earth would you repeat an unfounded slander by a nutcase here? What possible purpose does it serve?

I'm sorry, but I've reported your post and asked that it be taken down.

Saying the first name is akin to doxxing? It's a pretty ordinary first name...

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Saying the first name is akin to doxxing? It's a pretty ordinary first name...

It's not doxxing . . . it's repeating the accusation.

If someone popped in here and accused me without proof of something that was likely to turn people off, I'd very much prefer that people not go about repeating it, and giving it more prominence and life than it already had.

And I know only one person who posts here by that name?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

It isn't my intent with the new thread to break up the community. I assume some people who have nothing better to do will label it as such, but eff that and eff them. It just ain't true. Yes, it kind of sprung from the b1tching in this thread, but as you see it kind of morphed into "well this would be kind of fun..." and "there's a niche for that..." I'm just hoping the thread doesn't get buried by getting moved into the Forum's nether regions. 

Actually, as this thread has discussed, I'm kind of hoping it relieves some tension in the Forum. It is obvious some like some chat and some don't. I feel strangled and perpetually walking on eggshells in that thread. I mean, c'mon, getting hassled for 2 days over a freaking compliment? And then having ppl do what you wrote about ppl doing? I'm assuming IF people use that thread (and who knows? it could be a lead balloon) that there will be some cross-over between threads. 

I hope it'll be fun, that it will be broad enough in theme for people to do wtf they want within reason (and narrow enough that as5hats can get ARd). But this is a thing that involves people. I am a founding member of Misanthropes R Us (sometimes Misanthropes Anon) so... yeah. We'll see.

And it wasn't my intent to say it was your ntent with the new thread to break up the community. :) But I did indeed tell Scylla once, that if splitting up was what's needed, I would not be against it. I fully do support your thread. And now you get to pull the 'My thread, my rules' mantra, 😁 No, seriously, that's a good thing.

• Like 2

Just now, kiramanell said:

And it wasn't my intent to say it was your ntent with the new thread to break up the community. :) But I did indeed tell Scylla once, that if splitting up was what's needed, I would not be against it. I fully do support your thread. And now you get to pull the 'My thread, my rules' mantra, 😁 No, seriously, that's a good thing.

And it wasn't my intent to say you said it was my intent...

This could get really confusing.

We're good! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Tolya, remove his name from your post maybe? Otherwise you're doing the spammer's work for them.

This is sound advice. I never quote anything of such trolls. I choose not to enable them in any way whatsoever.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

By the way, 'highly processed' doesn't mean complex per se. In fact, I often love artwork with an exceedingly simple theme, but magical because of the talent of the artist -- precisely almost because it really *is* so simple. To make something look simple is, as you know, actually very hard, of course. See The tale of the Chinese emperor and the picture of the rooster

Yep, I totally agree. Some of the nicest SL photos I've seen are really very simple -- almost shadows or outlines, primarily. The complexity resides in the emotional or intellectual impact, rather than in the composition. Of course, shots like that often are the result of complicated processing -- but ars est celare artem: the best art conceals its own artfulness, right? The best photo often looks accidental, artless, and "natural."

30 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

There are, naturally, a great many others I like. Like Eva Knoller. Her extremely gifted sense of scenery, and soft pastel tones, makes you just want to dive into her world, and cuddle her. 🤗 Then there's Saravendi, whose lighting and post-processing skills are top-notch. And there be folks like Seicher Rae, of course, who prefer a more 'raw' looking approach. And by raw I don't mean 'less artistic.' It's al just a matter of taste, and what style best befits a particular scene.

These, and others. Seicher's pics may be "raw," but they are very far from "snapshots": her pics make it clear that it is possible to be artful using in-world tools.

Which raises an interesting point: in a sense, the division between "processed' and "unprocessed" pic is a very incomplete one. There's an enormous difference between the kind of pic Seicher takes, and a simple point-and-click snapshot. If someone is uncomfortable posting a snapshot next to a highly processed photo, are they likely to be any more comfortable posting in the context of "raw" pic that is, nonetheless, "artful," well-composed, beautiful, well-lit, etc.? The issue may not be processed vs. unprocessed, so much as . . . I don't know . . . intentionally "artistic" vs. a simple archival snap of a moment in-world?

Seicher and you have both addressed the issue of "community." I'd love it if we could all just post everything together -- pics and banter -- on the same thread, but if the results is a toxic community, then some division of threads is perhaps best. Like when parents who are constantly in conflict break up, paradoxically it might seem, for the good of their children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Seicher's pics may be "raw," but they are very far from "snapshots": her pics make it clear that it is possible to be artful using in-world tools.

Which raises an interesting point: in a sense, the division between "processed' and "unprocessed" pic is a very incomplete one. There's an enormous difference between the kind of pic Seicher takes, and a simple point-and-click snapshot. If someone is uncomfortable posting a snapshot next to a highly processed photo, are they likely to be any more comfortable posting in the context of "raw" pic that is, nonetheless, "artful," well-composed, beautiful, well-lit, etc.? The issue may not be processed vs. unprocessed, so much as . . . I don't know . . . intentionally "artistic" vs. a simple archival snap of a moment in-world?

Jeebus @Seicher Rae, how much did you have to pay Scylla for that?  :::smiles sweetly:::

No, honestly, Seicher's work is fantastic too! Definitely one of the first ppl I noticed when I returned. Youi almost immediately sense when someone has the 'Above and beyond' quality. Seicher has it. You have it (and a great many others, of course, so I probably shouldn't have named names, but it talks so difficult without).

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If someone is uncomfortable posting a snapshot next to a highly processed photo, are they likely to be any more comfortable posting in the context of "raw" pic that is, nonetheless, "artful," well-composed, beautiful, well-lit, etc.? 

Yeah, my thoughts, too. My photos, for the most part, are not quick snaps, as you've mentioned. :::pulls out the wallet for the L$ for all the nice things you just said::: And I hope we get some more "days of SL" chronicling - type photos soon, so as not to give the impression that only artsty-fartsy shots are posted, or that snapshots are unwanted, etc. And while I love, love love the idea of before and after, I don't want it to be all that. Sigh. Things are haaaaaaaaaaaard. Difficult even. And as has been said, an OP only has so much control over a thread, and lord knows I do NOT want to play referee or hall monitor. Nope nope nope. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Jeebus @Seicher Rae, how much did you have to pay Scylla for that?  :::smiles sweetly:::

No, honestly, Seicher's work is fantastic too! Definitely one of the first ppl I noticed when I returned. Youi almost immediately sense when someone has the 'Above and beyond' quality. Seicher has it. You have it (and a great many others, of course, so I probably shouldn't have named names, but it talks so difficult without).

See above. Oh, how I paid...

And thank you. We need dual reaction buttons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did NOT have poisonous peanut bugs, wrong medications or even coffee (had my caffeine via diet Coke today), and frankly I'm tired. I'm headed out. Banter and b1tch without me. Besides the idjit spammer is back again, and I wasted very good empathy moments on him today, and now I see that was useless, and he's just being a d1ck. 

Again, if someone could shoot Marigold a PM about the post I made regarding the possible misunderstanding n stuff, I'd appreciate it. It's a worrisome thing if I publicly effed up like that. I've been known to be a jerk, but I prefer it be intentionally than not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Hey guys! I've got the new thread up! Please make suggestions over there. Comments. This is a new format for a SL selfie thread. I need help. I want structure so that we can quip, and so that it is clear what is and is not on topic, thus hopefully avoiding the "who elected her god?" (The answer would be ME, cuz I'm the OP!) :)

How about that. Maybe the peeve thread created something! Let's have fun!

I started to do the same thing months ago and decided it wasn't worth it. But IMO the How Does Your Avi Look Today is policed/run by a clique who have certain rules for others (which are not stated) and that they themselves flaunt completely. I never knew what I could do or not do, because a couple of us got called out for doing what the forum clique seemed to do all time, including immediately after clucking at others for doing that exact thing. In the end I didn't want to start some kind of conflict, and not long after that gave up on SL photography anyhow. I still skim the forum every couple of days to see the pic a few people post, but swore long ago I would never post there, and I haven't.

Good luck with you new thread, I think it is needed, but I kind of doubt you are going to get a lot of traffic. I hope I am wrong, though. And PLEASE, first post, set up explicit thread rules that new people can read, and make *everyone* follow them so people can actually make sense of what is allowed and what isn't.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I did NOT have poisonous peanut bugs, wrong medications or even coffee (had my caffeine via diet Coke today), and frankly I'm tired. I'm headed out. Banter and b1tch without me. Besides the idjit spammer is back again, and I wasted very good empathy moments on him today, and now I see that was useless, and he's just being a d1ck. 

You may be too harsh on yourself here. You reached out to the troll, from a good place, and it looks wasted. Sucks. And you already know this, of course, but it wasn't because of you. Bit of a dumb example maybe, but, for instance, at one day I resolved not to buy/wach any Woody Allen movie any more -- because he's a sick person, and let me just stop there. Many of my friend often ask me whether I'm insane, or so delusional as to think me not buying his movies will make any difference. To which I invariably respond, "Of course it won't make a dent in his life. But at least, when I die, I can say, with a clear conscience, I did no longer support anything that men did when I found out." So, I hope you will look on this the same way: he will likely continue to be a d1ck, but at least you tried.

P.S. The b1tching, no doubt, will continue just fine without you, but the banter is assuredly better *with* you. 😛

Edited by kiramanell
And if only I could type properly
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.