Second Life on Steam?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Who gets locked up in the basement with Soft Linden? XD

All of them?

Hmm, basements, I know I have a 1x1 microlot with a multi-level basement someplace in the uninstalled content zips folder...

And I could dig out that "failed art gallery" lot, and make a custom recolour of a shop signboard with a Project Stupid logo to put outside, and set Papa Linden as the OFB business owner...

No! Must resist!

• Thanks 1

What happened, read some posts from 2012 where LL said they would expand SL to Steam.... why have it not happened? Second life seriously needs some advertisements out there to bring in more people, last i checked SL had 50k active users and it keeps flactuating around that number, in the past SL had over a million active users... what happened?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

a million active users...

i think you mix up some numbers. The ONLINE at one time is currently 25/50.000 .. thats never been a million but also isn't the active userbase.

so when were that figures you refer to?

This moment there are a Total  Residents: 57,282,835 , not online, but registered.

if you read the very recent other topic about Steam and Sansar, there's also posts about SL

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 3

Second Life needs to seriously expand, putting it on steam would give it some attention. No, Steam is not just for gamers, there are creative platforms on steam too.

Alot of people complain about the graphics in SL or that it is filled with trolls and griefers.

Well, the only way SL is getting any attention right now is from Trolling and griefing videos on youtube which only makes more want to try it. Britbong, Estaban Winsmore, Oliver Sargent, Cleptar,  The Bad Guys, Derrick, Lavender Storydel are some of the channels i found making videos like those with quite a lot of viewers.

As for graphics, SL needs to update it mainland areas or any public LL owned ones to actual mesh instead of sculpties or prims from the old days. The mainland is filled with those places, they lag horribly and are mostly deserted.

SL also needs some serious cleanup and do something about the traffic meters. Right now the most traffic goes to places with AFK adult sims, where people sit around on furniture and get tipped from sexual activities or places with bots everywere. Traffic needs to be redone to monitor how active people are instead, by moving around, chatting, or voicing.

Also the marketplace is filled with junk from 2008 - 2010, still sold at full price, old scultpies, laggy scripts and so on. 

Edited by Dqhp8507
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Well, the only way SL is getting any attention right now is from Trolling and griefing videos on youtube which only makes more want to try it. {names removed} are some of the people i found making videos like those with quite a lot of viewers.

You need to remove the names from your post.

SL also needs some serious cleanup and do something about the traffic meters. Right now the most traffic goes to places with AFK adult sims, where people sit around on furniture and get tipped from sexual activities or places with bots everywere. Traffic needs to be redone to monitor how active people are instead, by moving around, chatting, or voicing.

Why does this matter?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

What happened, read some posts from 2012 where LL said they would expand SL to Steam....

LL have said a lot of things over the years, that never happened... Or happened and were quickly reversed soon afterwards...

15 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

why have it not happened?

One of the reasons is expectations...

Back then somebody at LL ACTUALLY thought that being in mouselook while a lurching sculpty statue of a badly decomposed Philip Linden bumped it's way towards you through the Pathfinding induced lag, would be SO attractive to First Person Shooter fans, that MILLIONS would flock in from Steam, and pay $72 each for the right to use Premium Zombie Hunt sims, in preference to playing the RE series, or GTA, or other modern titles.

They were wrong...

19 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

last i checked SL had 50k active users and it keeps flactuating around that number

That's the concurrency figure, its 25-50k ONLINE NOW... It's not the total number of active users, remember, people log into SL from all around the world, so at any given time, many will be offline, at work, or asleep, or out in RL with family and friends, or shopping for soda and junkfood to eat while logged in, or whatever.

22 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

in the past SL had over a million active users...

When I arrived nearly 7 years ago, there were about 32,000,000 registered accounts, today its more than 57,000,000.

A million active users does not mean a million people all logged in at once, current semi-official claims on active users seem to vary between 600,000 and 900,000 depending on who you ask.

24 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

what happened?

You didn't do your research very well ? I'll award you 1/10 as a rating on your SL Homework, because I'm feeling generous...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

You need to remove the names from your post.

Why does this matter?

Why should i remove the names? Its better to let people know who they are so they can deal with them properly if they apear, the trolls seek attention or to trigger people to make their videos more entertaining, people should not allow them such and instead simply ban them.

And why it matters, it matters because people want to be around places were people are actually active, to find people to talk to or hang around. Not deserted places where people refuse to talk or just stand around for days doing nothing. It is what makes them leave quickly again. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Also the marketplace is filled with junk from 2008 - 2010, still sold at full price, old scultpies, laggy scripts and so on. 

But I like to buy that old "junk". Who gave you the right to decide what I can buy and what I cannot?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I guess you didn't read the forum guidelines then before posting. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

Well those are not their actual names, they are channel names on youtube that deal with griefing and trolling. Not accounts on SL. I know what name shaming is, but those are not their real names nor are they accounts on SL. 

Edited by Dqhp8507

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

But I like to buy that old "junk". Who gave you the right to decide what I can buy and what I cannot?

Because those old items is what new people buy, they have no idea what they are buying, they don't know what sculpties, mesh, or scripts are. Part of the reason why SL is so laggy is due to old items still being sold and used on sims. 

• Haha 1

Well those are not their actual names, they are channel names on youtube that deal with griefing and trolling. Not accounts on SL. I know what name shaming is, but those are not their real names nor are they accounts on SL. 

If they are SL names it still counts.  You are not necessarily doing a good thing naming them,  you just pointed people where they can go if griefing is their thing.

2 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Because those old items is what new people buy, they have no idea what they are buying, they don't know what sculpties, mesh, or scripts are. Part of the reason why SL is so laggy is due to old items still being sold and used on sims. 

LL are currently removing MP items from merchants who have not logged in for 5 years initially.  This will remove some contents but buyer beware works in SL as much as RL.  People should do their homework before buying anything.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

If they are SL names it still counts.  You are not necessarily doing a good thing naming them,  you just pointed people where they can go if griefing is their thing.

LL are currently removing MP items from merchants who have not logged in for 5 years initially.  This will remove some contents but buyer beware works in SL as much as RL.  People should do their homework before buying anything.

Good to hear LL is doing something about those merchants. I noticed alot of ripped material too from other games, movies or brands being sold.

And im doing a good thing to put them out there, part of the reason why they are able to troll is because people are ignorant and do not know who these people are or what they are trying to do. Alot of people do not know how security works on sl or wait too long before removing them, instead getting triggered and providing them with material for their videos.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Good to hear LL is doing something about those merchants. I noticed alot of ripped material too from other games, movies or brands being sold.

And im doing a good thing to put them out there, part of the reason why they are able to troll is because people are ignorant and do not know who these people are or what they are trying to do. Alot of people do not know how security works on sl or wait too long before removing them, instead getting triggered and providing them with material for their videos.

The mods will decide that for you I guess once they look at the thread

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

And im doing a good thing

first perhaps go learn what SL really is.

Trolling and Griefing are not at all that huge as you try to show.
Most people who encounter it are on the famous sandboxes, and in spite of many advices keep going there.

Most people here on the forums didn't see a griefer attack in many years. ( also partly because during the experience people learn how to use their landsettings so it's no open invite to crap)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.