Second Life on Steam?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Cindy, that bit of marketing crap hasn't been attached to Second Life for many years now.

It was nothing more than meaningless marketing jargon when it was still attached to Second Life and even more meaningless now that they (wisely) removed it.

I thought that too until I logged out of my dashboard and saw it there just now :) 

f208a4a69721e5300181d9d27439353c.jpg

Edited by Cindy Evanier
forgot the image
  • Like 8

Just now, Ethan Paslong said:

there are no dead private sims, but they are what the name says : private, there's always somebody paying for it and he does with it what he wants. If that is no public function doesn't mean it's dead.
I had a sim for most of the time i been here, but indeed private, for my own use, not for horny chasing shadows noobs.

Sure there are dead sims, if they are private and aimed towards the public, like for example clubs, sandboxes, hangout spots and so on. Seen alot of them around SL. Not sure why they are still standing or why people pay for them. They have close to zero traffic and some are really well made. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I thought that too until I logged out of my dashboard and saw it there just now :) 

I just opened a whole new browser (one which is shared between the different users of this computer and thus which is never logged into the Second Life site on an account) - it wasn't there.

If it is, kindly point it out.

Either way however, it's nothing more than a marketing slogan.

Heh, and you edited in the image as I was posting - the above does still stand though: it's a meaningless marketing slogan.

Edited by Solar Legion
Minor spelling correction and prior user edit acknowledgement
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

I don't have to read them again, they were rubbish the first time and that hasn't changed.

Why am I replying to your rubbish? Because it's rubbish that needs correcting.

You claim only people who move and voice are active, you are wrong.

You claim that you have some entitlement to be spoken to by people you encounter, you are wrong.

You claim that listing griefer-trash SpewTube channels is a "public service and a force for good", you are wrong.

You claim that LL should take responsibility for editing privately owned land and it's contents because YOU don't think the contents are attractive enough or modern enough, you are wrong.

Private regions are not "dead", because unlike the Madlands, when a private region becomes "dead", that is nobody uses it or PAYS FOR IT anymore, LL SWITCH IT OFF and its GONE.

Any private region that currently exists, is being payed for, with real money by a real person. Not DEAD, just because there wasn't a crowd of ignorant spewtubers voicespamming each other there when you happened to wander past.

Again, you were wrong.

Well done! You found some old 2005-2008 era fossils by the sound of it, one of those who lament the so called "golden age" when you could get RL rich just by logging into a "game" and "noobs knew their place", and there wasn't any of "this mesh-stuff, which is of the DEVIL", and everyone had "proper last names".

Just because they told you a load of idealised mis-remembered crap, from long ago, doesn't make any of it actually true.

Feel free to say what you want, i will simply ignore your future posts too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dqhp8507 said:

Sure there are dead sims, if they are private and aimed towards the public, like for example clubs, sandboxes, hangout spots and so on. Seen alot of them around SL. Not sure why they are still standing or why people pay for them. They have close to zero traffic and some are really well made. 

even clubs, sandboxes and hangout spots on private sims have their empty times, most clubs have only weekend sets or few times a week, sansboxes are often for group use only, and hang outs are mostly clubs with a non club design. I keep to my statement: you don't know what SL is, can and can be

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Feel free to say what you want, i will simply ignore your future posts too.

Ahhh, so you know I'm right, and your ego-bubble's been popped, and now you are going to hide from the "bad lady who doesn't recognize your RIGHT to be talked to in-world in voice-spam while she moves about all over the place"...

Good to know something positive has occurred then... :D

• Like 2

Just now, Ethan Paslong said:

even clubs, sandboxes and hangout spots on private sims have their empty times, most clubs have only weekend sets or few times a week, sansboxes are often for group use only, and hang outs are mostly clubs with a non club design. I keep to my statement: you don't know what SL is, can and can be

It can most certainly be something great, if LL does something about it, right now what it needs is proper advertisement, to let people know SL is out there, offering a creative platform for developers and others who enjoy creating and updating older things thats been left around. 

Lag, Security is something they need to work with if they want creators back. 

and the average person needs those creators to buy cool things.

and well finally the traffic needs to be redone or even removed, alot of people follow where traffic is and in most cases it lands them in AFK sex sims or sims with bots everywere even though LL made a rule to only have a maximum of 2 bots on a sim. 

• Haha 1

There's that assumption that a user not responding to you in some way is a bot ...

For the places I visit, I tend to sit back and watch others, following the conversations as they go and only rarely making a comment.

For at least one of these places, I hang out on the beach to say hi to the occasional user that drops in - when I note them drop in anyway.

Other times I am busy in an IM with one or more of my friends.

The general user base does not exist to entertain you - deal with it.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

see i said i still learn new things often... now also guide me to the place where that's in the guidelines

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Bot_policy

Using bots to "game" traffic is not allowed
You may not attempt to gain an unfair advantage in search results through the use of bots to inflate the traffic for a parcel. This policy applies to both mainland and private estates since both are represented in search.

However, it used to say only 2 bots where allowed, i guess they changed this. But if a sim sits with about 10 bots just standing around then it most certainly gains an unfair advantage to other sims. AFK sex sims are no different from botting since most of them are made to generate money anyway, just randomly seated on a furniture and then left online for days without any activity. 
Edited by Dqhp8507

1 hour ago, Dqhp8507 said:

As for graphics, SL needs to update it mainland areas or any public LL owned ones to actual mesh instead of sculpties or prims from the old days. The mainland is filled with those places, they lag horribly and are mostly deserted.

What makes you think mesh is less laggy than sculpts and prims? Optimized mesh is usually less gpu heavy than sculpts and may well beat prims too but optimization is the exception, not the rule among SL mesh makers and regular un-optimized mesh can be very heavy on the gpu.

And gpu load/frame rate is only one aspect of lag, there's load time too. Meshes will always need much more data to be transferred than sculpts and prims and that of course means they are likely to take much longer to load in the first place.

Here are some typical examples of frame rate of different builds. All these snapshots were taken with the same graphics settings.

Fairly low lag full mesh sim 22.2 fps:

526217987_Skjermbilde(1974).png.50cd4d4b852801d04aca174905857c47.png

Not quite as low lag but still not a particularly heavy mesh sim 17.8 fps:

699135992_Skjermbilde(1973).png.02150c7a78509015bc97c50e608f39dc.png

Mostly sculpts with some prims but no mesh 23.9 fps:

64301690_Skjermbilde(1975).png.ffbb0a05b2498eeeaa44cf14bee71375.png

Mostly prims with a few sculpts and meshes 24.4 fps:

1337250570_Skjermbilde(1976).png.18fbec8e6e338c3f3c13d7ab6f5a1f65.png

All prims (plus some system trees) 25.6 fps:

820628637_Skjermbilde(1977).png.607881fa9513f37cacf65aea88b42ba7.png

Balanced sim, combining optimized meshes, prims and sculpts 27.2 fps:

329310961_Skjermbilde(1972).png.4defbaa950a03abb26b1b15d23fdfe78.png

Another balanced build, mainly optimized meshes but also some prims and maybe a sculpt or two too 30 fps:

577125425_Skjermbilde(1980).jpg.3571fb05da61c849dea9110dc99f1546.jpg

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

see i said i still learn new things often... now also guide me to the place where that's in the guidelines

Didn't you get the memo? New additions to the ToS will henceforth be published in micro-dot format, on the side of a used condom in an ally behind a furry-yiff club at the less fashionable end of Zindra...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dqhp8507 said:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Bot_policy

Using bots to "game" traffic is not allowed
You may not attempt to gain an unfair advantage in search results through the use of bots to inflate the traffic for a parcel. This policy applies to both mainland and private estates since both are represented in search.

Here's a tip - if you use a reference to prove a point, it usually works better if it actually contains proof of your point (i.e. 2 bot limit.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Here's a tip - if you use a reference to prove a point, it usually works better if it actually contains proof of your point (i.e. 2 bot limit.)

As i said, it used to say 2 bots where the maximum in a sim but they changed it. Now traffic doesn't really mean anything anymore, yet people keep following it, they want the most popular places, but get thrown into areas with avatars just standing around, generating money and traffic doing nothing. 

Edited by Dqhp8507
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Keep saying it, you will still be the first person I have heard say it. And I don’t remember anything in the TOS.

Well anyhow, traffic is completely useless if they can't make proper rules for bots. They should just remove traffic or rework it, it only confuses those who go to high traffic sims looking for people to hang with. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.