I encountered a REALLY weird bug this morning..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't really know where to put this or what to even say about it.. I was going through my inventory rezzing stuff to see what they were when I found this old arcade cabinet nyan cat game... and for some reason the texture was rotating on its own! There were scripts in the object, but this was... unlike anything I've ever seen in SL. The texture only moves when something onscreen changes. So I cam around, texture moves, stop camming, texture stops. I grab in edit mode, texture is still, move around/rotate/resize, texture moves! It wasn't local to me, either, since my friend was present with me when it happened and we wound up confused and scratching our heads the whole time. I took a bit of a video showcasing its whole weirdness.
Weird texture video

• Like 1

That's pretty neat, Yuriko!

I'm only guessing, but I could imagine there's a glitch in the object's parameters that's overflowing the math when the object geometry is computed and/or the texture is mapped. Copying the object might cause the erroneous parameter to be cleaned up. Scaling the actual object doesn't seem to fix the glitch, what happens if you scale, offset or rotate the texture?

• Confused 1

I know that game! Jasdac Stockholm made it.

I believe what happened is you unlinked a prim or linked something to it and it changed the link set IDs. If not, send him(or me) a copy of the broke version and either jasdac or I will take a look at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

1 object, 2 LI, no scripts in its contents.  The same as the copy.  Yet the copy had no problem.  That's the truly weird part.

Is it possible to test what happens if the copy is made in Inventory instead of an in-world shift-drag copy?

Not that I have any idea what's going on here, but I'm guessing it's somehow related to a persistent prim property (such as texture animation or particles) that isn't preserved with shift-drag.

Grasping at another straw: That Land Impact of 2 for a sculpt, apparently the only element in the object's linkset, suggests something is triggering Mesh accounting because otherwise the LI should be 1. So... anything special going on with the specularmap or normalmap?

35 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not that I have any idea what's going on here, but I'm guessing it's somehow related to a persistent prim property (such as texture animation or particles) that isn't preserved with shift-drag.

Grasping at another straw: That Land Impact of 2 for a sculpt, apparently the only element in the object's linkset, suggests something is triggering Mesh accounting because otherwise the LI should be 1. So... anything special going on with the specularmap or normalmap?

Yes, it must be some persistent prim property and yes, it is a sculpt with modern LI accounting so there is something else going on there, a normal map, a specular map and/or convex hull physics.

Is this a multifaced sculpt btw?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

send him(or me) a copy of the broke version and either jasdac or I will take a look at it.

As shown in the video, copying fixes the issue, so you can only examine the original broken one for clues.

This still feels like a borked parameter that's confusing the rendering engine. If SL objects are copied "blindly", by just duplicating the objects internal data without parsing it, the problem would persist across copies. If, however, objects are copied by parsing their structure and copying parameters with bounds checking, any copy would likely have the borked parameter brought back within bounds. I've no idea how SL object copying works internally, so I'm only guessing... as I do.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

copying fixes the issue

There's copying and then there's copying. A bunch of parameters are preserved when copied from Inventory that don't persist when shift-drag copied.

The fact that the object can be shift-drag copied in-world tells us it's copiable, and barring some permissions trick, there's still an original in Inventory from which this copy was rezzed. It would be fun to see how the next-rezzed copy of that original behaves. (I'm guessing it's exactly like the demonic one in the video, and not like the angelic shift-drag copy.)

The "borked parameter that's confusing the rendering engine" seems plausible enough, but it would be more satisfying if it were more falsifiable.

I notice it has (what appears to be) hovertext: that white "0" that shows over the object and its copy. That's a prim property that's preserved for shift-drag copies. I guess that's not a very interesting observation, now that I've made it.

• Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Jasdac Stockholm said:

I'm the creator. There was a version a long time ago where the texture glitched out. It's been fixed a couple of years ago. Shoot me an IM in world and I'll give you a fixed one.

Ah! But we're still curious. What on earth caused such a weird glitch???

Edit:

And is it something that can be controlled and used creatively?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oops! I got busy and forgot about this thread. I do have a newer one already since it was only 25L to get it as a fix. But I mostly just wanted to share this weirdness!

I did find that I could take a copy into my inventory and when that copy is rezzed it shares the messed up properties. It does feel like the way animation scripts stick to objects after the script is removed, but that still doesn't explain how it only animates when the screen moves or is visually updated in some way. My friend has reported that when he navigates his inventory and UI the texture moves as well, but I haven't personally experienced that yet.

When it first occurred I thought it could be like, cache related, but I've since relogged a few times, as have my friends, and the prim is still all messed up.

It has no normal or specular maps or any kind of materials added to it. It was set to convex hull for a time, but I've changed the properties to prim and back to convex hull again and it's gone back down to 1 LI.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I notice it has (what appears to be) hovertext: that white "0" that shows over the object and its copy. That's a prim property that's preserved for shift-drag copies. I guess that's not a very interesting observation, now that I've made it.

Also! That hovertext was from a script I popped into it when messing around with it, and I didn't bother removing the hovertext after deleting the script. The script just would detect if someone was standing on it and squish the prim, and the hovertext would updated how many people stood on it. I played around with that a lot since the texture moves whenever there is movement, so I thought it'd be silly to have it squishable and watch the texture go crazy.

• Thanks 2

It's kind of academic at this point, but there's an infinite supply of these to be had by merely rezzing out more from inventory, and they're modifiable, so there's nothing to prevent doing "destructive testing" on them. I'd be curious whether the weird behavior survives if the sculptmap is replaced with something else -- the library banana, for example. Or maybe changing the sculpt attributes like "mirror" and "stitching" options. Or maybe a new texture being applied.

Not that I have any actual use for the results of such tests. Just curious, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 8:56 PM, ChinRey said:

Ah! But we're still curious. What on earth caused such a weird glitch???

Edit:

And is it something that can be controlled and used creatively?

The entire cabinet is a single sculpt, which means the UV map is extremely stretched. The effect was caused by the texture animation being set on the cabinet itself instead of the game board. I've attached the sculpt map under Creative Commons 0 if someone wants to mess with it. I'd recommend against using it in any products though since sculpts are bad and mesh should be preferred.

Edit: Looking at the video I have no idea why it's behaving like that. Maybe a bug in llSetTextureAnimation or using planar mapping.

arcademachine.png

Edited by Jasdac Stockholm
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.