LL advertising private businesses in their blog?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm not 100% successful though, as yesterday's 'dense' shows, but I do try and I'm mostly successful. Even that 'dense' was incredibly mild, of course

Now you can insult me all you want, as I’ve committed to not commenting on your debate style. Cheers!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Blueberryxx said:

Hey guys, 

I wish one of you had given me an IM! I would have clarified it. Anyone and I mean anyone can gift premium memberships, all you have to do is have balance in your account and open a support ticket for it. I paid fully for all the premium memberships I gifted. There was (sadly) no special treatments. I hope this information leads to some best friends getting premium account gifts for Christmas. It's coming up you guys.

I am sorry it didn't seem clear, it honest to god never crossed my mind that anyone would think Linden Lab is paying for a very random give away I did.

Although not going to lie, would be sweet of them to do their own regular give aways just to acknowledge the support of this community. 

Now I will go check out the look of the day page and possibly frame it because, contrary to what is discussed here, I am main page cursed and only ever made it 4 times in 5 years. 

If a confusion like this arises again I am literally 1 IM away and love to chat too, don't feel shy to reach out ❤️ 

Thank you so much for this information. It is good to know LL allows people to gift membership like that and I may take advantage of this in the future. 

13 hours ago, anniepany said:

How convenient that no one even responded when Blue explained about the giveaway, could be that some people are just too ashamed to admit that they were totally and completely wrong about her? If you respond, I will not answer I refuse to get dragged into this grab your tinfold hat conspiracy thread. Just wanted to put this out there. 

Peace and out.... 

It had been 2 hours, do you really think everyone that has posted in this thread spends every second refreshing for replies? It has been 15 hours since Blueberry posted and this is the first I am reading about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

But the word 'many' hasn't changed, the word 'perhaps' hasn't changed, and the word 'most' hasn't changed.

You're being autistically pedantic with me, which is being argumentative, don't you think?  We both know that words modify meanings when used together, which is why a "cat house" and a "house cat" are two VERY different things.

If you want argumentative, you need to do better than that. But, better still, it's best not to be argumentative just for the sake of it at all.

I wasn't being argumentative, I was calling you out on more on your overreacting and ignorance. 

Nope. It looks like an advertisement, and that's a fact, not an opinion.

It looks like an advertisement...to YOU.  Don't you understand that it might not look like one to others?  After all your experience isn't others experience.  Which definitely makes it a difference of opinion, right?

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post, because it became clear that you are just being argumentative for sake of it, instead of discussing the issue reasonably.

You should read it because otherwise, you're basically going "I don't want to hear what you have to say or admit that I might not be particularly knowledgeable about the modern SL fashion economy and culture so I'm just going to cover my ears and go LA LA LA LA"

49 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

we only get things like someone throwing in the fact that language evolves, as a way of being confrontational, but, ridiculously, picking the wrong words for it. It's kind of like handbags at 10 paces these days lol. What they've never seemed to grasp is that, when they resort to getting personal, they've lost.

Don't you think that might be just a little bit "Getting personal" on your part there?

I'm going to say this again:  You overreacted and are making a mountain out of a molehill.  You go on about  favoritism, not understanding how the modern SL economy makes such things practically impossible.  Xiola's picture and post is not the end of the world, the sky is not falling.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, anniepany said:

How convenient that no one even responded when Blue explained about the giveaway, could be that some people are just too ashamed to admit that they were totally and completely wrong about her?

When I read her post last night, there were a lot of responses to it - in the forum of thanks and likes.

I don't know anyone in this thread who was totally, or even slightly, wrong about her. Nobody made any judgements, assumptions, or jumped to any conclusions about Blueberry doing anything wrong, so there was nothing for anyone to be wrong about. Reading what's actually written is your friend ;) 

And everything that's been written here that was about Blueberry was about the possibility of LL doing something wrong, not Blueberry. Getting hold of the wrong end of the stick is your enemy :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

@Xiola Linden

Thank you for your post, Xiola. We now know what the blog post was about, and I thank you for that, but I'm still concerned.

Imo, and in the expressed opinions of some others in the thread, LL should not be promoting the goods of paying customers, in an official blog, unless the promotion is available to all paying customers, because it is detrimental to those competitors who don't get the promotion. I don't think that a Linden going round places, liking things, and promoting them in the official blog, qualifies as the promotion being available to all paying customers - because it's not. There would be no favouritism, but that's not the point.

If you do the new 'Look Of The Day' regularly, and if it's users who submit 'looks' for it (like Pic Of The Day), then, imo, it would be an excellent addition, but not if it's just Lindens finding and promoting stuff in the official LL blog. For me, it's all about being fair to ALL paying customers.

Of course it's available to every paying customer, if they create something noteworthy. What do you think the Destination Guide is? Perhaps some Linden will decide to blog about the charms of enormous no-copy low prim furniture someday...

24 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Of course it's available to every paying customer, if they create something noteworthy. What do you think the Destination Guide is?

The Destination Guide is places, not products for sale.

If Xiola actually makes posts like that, that show what she thinks of as a good 'look' (Look at what I found and put together. Isn't it nice? Here are the places you can buy this outfit from.), and if users can't submit 'looks' for it, then it would be Xiola's own personal picture blog but in the guise of being officially LL. There are great places for personal picture blogs, including one's own profile feed, but, imo, the official LL blog isn't one of them.

Edited by Phil Deakins

39 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

The Destination Guide is places, not products for sale.

If Xiola actually makes posts like that, that show what she thinks of as a good 'look' (Look at what I found and put together. Isn't it nice? Here are the places you can buy this outfit from.), and if users can't submit 'looks' for it, then it would be Xiola's own personal picture blog but in the guise of being officially LL. There are great places for personal picture blogs, including one's own profile feed, but, imo, the official LL blog isn't one of them.

I wonder if she will be willing to wear men’s clothing?

• Haha 1

I hope this thread gets pinned, not locked.

As one of those nonfashionista who has to be forced at knifepoint to shop (admit I had heard of the event and gasp Blue) it has been great to see the passion. This old secondwavelastnamer (or whatever it is) is happy to see.

And - not being one who normally bothers looking, I liked the Xiola post. Looking at the rest before, I thought - there is someone who understands that standing in mid air because we can is the point. Plus, I ordered the trousers.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.