LL Policy for Gacha Games is a need

sailor36

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The gambling ban and subsequent changes were forced on LL.

If that was forced:

- how comes that from 2007 to 2014 customers were allowed to buy "skill games" that have been  desactivated later .

The result is simple: the customer bought skill games massivly from 2007 to 2014 then, in 2014, they cannot use them in their inventory anymore.. nice.. really good job, probably they shouldnt have been allowed to buy them in the first place that would had saved them money.

dont you think?

- There has been one other TOS change concerning skill games, in 2011, (a silent one) that you might not know, that concerned auto-on mode.

LL stated (and they were right, but people, and myself had to report like 100000 times this scammy concept) that auto-on mode was against skill game concept (omg after one year of auto on modes they finally realize that), and there were also problems such as the auto-on skipped numbers. a bug that made you lose in automatic mode(anyway: playing a machine automaticly: more loss for the player, easy profit) , so they  tried to watch all games, already in 2011

once again they changed their mind and the "skill games" went back with the no-devil.

And then the no devil is  a skill game , according to the new definition of a skill game.. well...

So, yeah, when you realize that a no devil IS a skill game while a poker game  isnt,  you ask yourself many questions about the life.

Concerning gatchas it is same. There has been a hype on the net around the belgium commission's decision that was claiming that they wouldnt allow csgo, pubg , ea games, to continue to scam indirectly, or to trick kids (because there were, indeed scams, due to gambling websites permitting people to gamble skins... and gertting scammed.. all of this under VALVE/steam api blessing since gambling websites were using steam api.. aehm...) people with lootboxes. Very well. They said they would send warnings to publishers , threatening them to sue them when the Belgium law would change. But then nothing much happened EA games changed his behavior, csgo/valve shared odds,.. etc..

This debate about loot boxes is actually in every country.

People that try to ridiculize the OP have rather interests in gatchas or dont know everything about what is currently happening. Other game publishers already acted. Here again in SL evertything is foggy and slow, then LL will take a decision one day, and people will get real surprises as it already happened for the skill games in 2014, in 2011, in 2007.. etc..etc... and so on ....

Edited by Majestic Kohime
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Majestic Kohime said:

Thats simply totally WRONG!!!

A sploder always paid you back, you win or lose less thats ALL

I even scripted a sploder that was a skill game. a REAL SKILL GAME, not random and LL flagged me after the 2014 TOS. And arent allowing ME TO SELL A REAL SKILL GAME????

Explanations? there are NONE

Greetings!

Information regarding Skill Gaming is provided in the SL Terms of Use and the Skill Gaming Policy

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Skill_Gaming_Policy

Since skill games are regulated, any Skill Games must be approved and can only be sold to Skill Gaming operators.  If you offer anything that qualifies as a Skill Game to the general public, then yes, the object will be removed and you will not be permitted to sell the object. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, iam very well aware.. of all ... including the "terms of service" thank you. Thats doesnt change the fact that it changed and will change again with all the consequences linked to such changes...

At some point, as creator we follow the customers needs and they want us to make the stuff that is allowed in SL and at this time those games were allowed, the problem is allowed/not allowed change ;)

Do i also have the right to consider that i also wasted my time and money:  buying, scripting and playing(cause i was  a player, also and a big one) those games?

Do i have the right to "think" and that is just MY opinion  that now, in 2018 i would have prefered that the "skill" games would have been forbidden totally since 2007 in all SL!!! wasnt that the right thing to do? Look i bought skill games between 2010-2014, and now they are desactivated cause rules changed. Money wasted.

it can also happen to gatchas machines one day, right? that was my point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, OxfordLennox said:

Gachas are for reselling or trading purpose. This is why they are gachas and in transfer versions. And I don't think creators are against resellers. It is a win win.

It doesn't work like this for resellers. As someone said here, market is a wild west. (=

I am leaving this thread, lol.

Right, I've known some creators even give recommendations to some reliable resellers.

• Like 1

We all miss the simpler days when SL was immune from external legislation. Playing group pot games was the social core of my SL for a long time and what engaged me enough to stick around. But those days are gone mainly because SL turned out to be a success.

Gatcha might be questionable in some ways at the moment, but as with gambling, till there is external legal pressure on LL to change policy, expect the fun to continue.

Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

• Like 3

https://www.thelines.com/skin-gambling-sites-persist-despite-valve-order/

Just read this article to judge how far it goes concerning steam.  As always its not "opening a random box" the problem, this is rather all the  abuses around the concept..

Some people are really greedy around... I guess thats same kind of people that forced LL to change their tos so drasticly with skill games... thats why i think the op post is a clue about what should be done mainly about odds or monitoring gatcha scipts

Sl has more event potential than simply gatchas event anyway... and maybe sharting odds will be a marketing argument

• Haha 1

Good to see there is a discussion goes on at last. Only the skills you use when playing gachas are the linden dollars in your balance. I don't think gacha is gambling, but when it comes to some machines I hate to see I have one or more crap items that don't have single usage that's being harsh.

On 03.07.2018 at 8:09 PM, sailor36 said:

11. Each gacha item must have their own usage. People do not have to complete those sets to use useless HUDs. HUDs which work with different items in the same machine cannot be sold as seperate common or rare. This looks so greedy.

I'll give an example. Imagine you play a machine which has got a cat avatar as a rare item. And there are boots, dresses, hats etc can be used only on that cat as common items. You want that cat avatar but please question what will you do the spares. You put them on MP? Who will buy those 5 spare boots you have? Probably everyone who has played the machine to have the rare cat have spare boots, too. I don't play the machines which has more than 1 add-ons for rare items. No need to put crap into machines. In this example I can truly say those creators see the players as gamblers. Yes I get something when I pay for it, but it's a useless crap to delete.

Or what will I do with a bra has not rez script inside or women skins turned into no transfer? (=

On 03.07.2018 at 8:09 PM, sailor36 said:

8. Building items like fences, walls, wall lamps, roads, pavements etc. mustn't be in gacha games. To tell the truth if I need a double of same item in a gacha machine to make the complete set to look real complete is no fun.

Same kind of thing applies on this too. You need to put 2 wall lamps near your build door. You have a pavement piece but there must be 6 more to build a road. You have a fence piece but you need 10 more to create a mini garden? I'd better buy a 250L fence even in full perms and retexture it instead of collecting them. Some points addressed like this will help people not to count gacha as gambling in my opinion.

Edited by OxfordLennox

20 hours ago, Durian1 said:

Right, I've known some creators even give recommendations to some reliable resellers.

people who make a business off somebody else's hard work make me sick. It's just leeches, plain and simple. I cannot imagine why on earth any creator would want to promote people who leech off their work. Sure people can sell extra gacha items they have no need of to get their money back, that's only fair, but to build entire business on other people's work is just wrong. If i were to consider buying an ultra rare set for many thousands lindens from a reseller, i would first message the original creator and offer them the same amount for this set directly. At least they worked hard for it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Elvina Ewing said:

people who make a business off somebody else's hard work make me sick. It's just leeches, plain and simple. I cannot imagine why on earth any creator would want to promote people who leech off their work. Sure people can sell extra gacha items they have no need of to get their money back, that's only fair, but to build entire business on other people's work is just wrong. If i were to consider buying an ultra rare set for many thousands lindens from a reseller, i would first message the original creator and offer them the same amount for this set directly. At least they worked hard for it.

Indeed.

Classic tactic that a creator uses an alt to resell his own ultrarares and make some extra profit. Another ptotential abuse. This has been common fact in breedables: creators who were raising the market by controlling sales of the super rares breedables with their own alts/or own friends.

This, while settingg *****ty odds for the normal customers, ofc. I was about to forget to mention this detail. Best combo! Great and easy profit!

As you can see, this is just one more example of potential abuse. All classic scam tactics already used on both "skill games" and "breedables" markets.

I think another big thing, is set a regulation in place. Where they can only set their chance of getting rares, to a certain percentage. So you don't get idiots who make it so hard to get a rare. Like what I saw on a post, that a friend shared. Where 106 commons, and no rares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elvina Ewing said:

To be fair some gachas offer "buy the whole set no trans" options. Somthing I really like and use (and resellers of course frown upon).

Why are gacha machines any different than the gumball machines  in rl that dispense a toy with each quarter? They show a couple of cool "rare" prizes in the display panel, but most of the capsules contain less desirable items.

You paid your quarter, you got your prize. What's the problem with that?

Don't like it, don't put the quarter in.

I think I would love to see, every Gacha creator give you the option to buy the full set. Since you can see it on Facebook, that not many people like to gamble their money away. For an Item they like, or have to get it from a reselller. Who markups the item, at a very ridiculous price.

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

Why are gacha machines any different than the gumball machines  in rl that dispense a toy with each quarter? They show a couple of cool "rare" prizes in the display panel, but most of the capsules contain less desirable items.

You paid your quarter, you got your prize. What's the problem with that?

Don't like it, don't put the quarter in.

But with gumball machines, it was always a quarter and they weren't selling clothes, and other big items. This is more akin to the Japanese Gacha game, which lawyers are having a heyday to try and put it as a gaming machine. But these Gacha people, are just two steps ahead.

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

But with gumball machines, it was always a quarter and they weren't selling clothes, and other big items. This is more akin to the Japanese Gacha game, which lawyers are having a heyday to try and put it as a gaming machine. But these Gacha people, are just two steps ahead.

Gatcha machines are usually only a quarter. Define "big items." Clothes and houses that are selling for 50L a pull are still only 50L a pull.. It doesnt matter what is in the machine.

• Like 1

I think my point is, at one point in time. Gacha's in SL, were only small collectors items. Now they are houses, cars, full outfits, and the list goes on. The fact of the matter is, that A i would rather pay for the full set, at an event. Instead of paying the ridiculous mark up price of a seller. That and Gacha machines are totally different from Gumball Machines. Here is an article, that a lawyer wrote. Delving deeper into that.

http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/some-thoughts-about-gacha/

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

I think my point is, at one point in time. Gacha's in SL, were only small collectors items. Now they are houses, cars, full outfits, and the list goes on. The fact of the matter is, that A i would rather pay for the full set, at an event. Instead of paying the ridiculous mark up price of a seller. That and Gacha machines are totally different from Gumball Machines. Here is an article, that a lawyer wrote. Delving deeper into that.

http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/some-thoughts-about-gacha/

I am going to quote the main issue that is flawed in that "lawyers" blog about Gatchas. 
"In a nutshell, gacha is a game mechanic by which you pay real money..."

In a nutshell, and to quote the Cheeto in charge...

WRONG!
You do not EVER have to put a single penny into SL and STILL be able to buy Gatchas. You can work in SL and earn L$, rent a plot of land, have a small house, Furniture and buy gatchas all with out ever buying L$ with "real money." THAT is why gatchaas in SL are not the same as gambling. No RL money ever HAS to be bought buy the person using the machines. 

Someones actual money, has been put into the system for you to be paid. That and you can cash out, to actual money. I don't think you entirely understand that concept. So in a way, I am not wrong, I think you really need to look at your statement. As actual money, has been put in, to pay the person, or the person actually uploaded it. You can't just generate Linden out of thin air. From your ideal, if I were to get paid IRL through a job, it is not gambling? Like the only way that its gambling, is if you spend "YOUR" own money? Like Gambling is gambling, anyway you look at it. If you get paid, or if you upload them yourself. Someone is uploading the Linden.

Edited by halebore Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I am going to quote the main issue that is flawed in that "lawyers" blog about Gatchas. 
"In a nutshell, gacha is a game mechanic by which you pay real money..."

In a nutshell, and to quote the Cheeto in charge...

WRONG!
You do not EVER have to put a single penny into SL and STILL be able to buy Gatchas. You can work in SL and earn L$, rent a plot of land, have a small house, Furniture and buy gatchas all with out ever buying L$ with "real money." THAT is why gatchaas in SL are not the same as gambling. No RL money ever HAS to be bought buy the person using the machines. 

Your bias is showing. 

You're trying so hard to defend gatchas that you're saying stuff without even thinking about it.

L$ are worth money. As long as we can buy it and cash it out, there's real money involved. 

If/when the laws come to the US and affect SL, saying "But I won't cash out, I promise." isn't going to cut it.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Your bias is showing. 

You're trying so hard to defend gatchas that you're saying stuff without even thinking about it.

L$ are worth money. As long as we can buy it and cash it out, there's real money involved. 

If/when the laws come to the US and affect SL, saying "But I won't cash out, I promise." isn't going to cut it.

4.4 Linden Lab has no obligation to accept returns or provide refunds of any amounts paid for products or services purchased from Linden Lab.

Except as set forth above or in any Additional Terms, purchases of Linden Content (including but not limited to Usage Subscriptions, Virtual Tender, and/or other Virtual Goods and Services) are final, non-refundable, have no monetary value (i.e. are not a cash account or equivalent) and are purchases of only a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable, personal, and non-transferable license to use content Inworld, even if they come with a durational term (e.g. a monthly subscription). 

9.2 Linden Lab provides the Service on an "as is" basis, without express or implied warranties, and all Content, including Virtual Tender and other Virtual Goods and Services, have no guarantee or warranty of any compensable value.

LINDEN LAB PROVIDES THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE SOFTWARE, THE WEBSITES, THE SERVERS, THE CONTENT (INCLUDING THE VIRTUAL GOODS AND SERVICES), AND YOUR ACCOUNT, STRICTLY ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WRITTEN OR ORAL, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

NO VALUE, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS GUARANTEED OR WARRANTED WITH RESPECT TO ANY CONTENT, INCLUDING VIRTUAL TENDER OR ANY OTHER VIRTUAL GOODS AND SERVICES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE IN YOUR CONTENT OR ANY EXPENDITURE ON YOUR PART, LINDEN LAB AND YOU EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY COMPENSABLE VALUE RELATING TO OR ATTRIBUTABLE TO ANY DATA RELATING TO YOUR ACCOUNT RESIDING ON LINDEN LAB'S SERVERS. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK OF LOSS FROM USING THE SERVICE ON THIS BASIS.

Well, those are two examples of LL stating L$ have no actual value. If they want they can set its "value" to be 1 USD to 1000 L$ or higher. 

I give less than a tinkers dam about gatchas. I am merely pointing out where your assumptions are wrong in the eyes of the law.

49 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Someones actual money, has been put into the system for you to be paid. That and you can cash out, to actual money. I don't think you entirely understand that concept. So in a way, I am not wrong, I think you really need to look at your statement. As actual money, has been put in, to pay the person, or the person actually uploaded it. You can't just generate Linden out of thin air. From your ideal, if I were to get paid IRL through a job, it is not gambling? Like the only way that its gambling, is if you spend "YOUR" own money? Like Gambling is gambling, anyway you look at it. If you get paid, or if you upload them yourself. Someone is uploading the Linden.

Read what he wrote then read what i did.. He stated "gacha is a game mechanic by which you pay real money" I responded with the FACT that you do not ever have to pay into SL and still enjoy things. You can work in SL and earn L$. Those earned L$ can be used for whatever you want. The person who bought them initially could be 6 transactions back. 
A, buys 10,000L$ and shops at 
B, Store , who then goes to 

Club C, where they tip the
DJ who gives some money to
E, his RL wife who buys clothing at 
F, who then goes to another club and tips
G-String, who buys a gatcha. 
So tell me, Who exactly bought L$ to buy gatchas? 

And  THAT is why it isnt gambling nor should it be classified as such. You can see exactly what you can get and the percentage of drops. Nothing in SL has monetary value, and it all belongs to LL anyway. 

Dude you are not getting it, real money was used. As A had to use real money to buy the 10000. Just cause it passed hands, does not mean that real money wasn't used. That being said, you have a CHANCE to get an object from a Gacha machine. By that definition, its called Gaming.  Again, I don't know why you don't see this, yes ***** has monetary value in SL. Have you tried purchasing something on MP, and you are short on Linden. It asks if you want to use your credit card, to buy said item. I did it once.  You are basically stating that by your logic, that once it passes hands, that its not considered actual currency. So how is it, that I can exchange said currency for RL currency? Dude, you need to really calm down. Japan and China, have actually been trying to get Gacha into gaming laws. As it does constitute gambling. At a slot machine, or even a lottery ticket, you know what the grand prize is, and what other cash prizes you are winning. So by your definition, would that also be not gambling. I am sorry, but at the end of the day. You are taking the chance, to slowly chip away at your money. To get the JACKPOT, and there is a chance that you will win the smaller prizes. That in my eyes, is gambling.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

4.4 Linden Lab has no obligation to accept returns or provide refunds of any amounts paid for products or services purchased from Linden Lab.

Except as set forth above or in any Additional Terms, purchases of Linden Content (including but not limited to Usage Subscriptions, Virtual Tender, and/or other Virtual Goods and Services) are final, non-refundable, have no monetary value (i.e. are not a cash account or equivalent) and are purchases of only a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable, personal, and non-transferable license to use content Inworld, even if they come with a durational term (e.g. a monthly subscription). 

9.2 Linden Lab provides the Service on an "as is" basis, without express or implied warranties, and all Content, including Virtual Tender and other Virtual Goods and Services, have no guarantee or warranty of any compensable value.

LINDEN LAB PROVIDES THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE SOFTWARE, THE WEBSITES, THE SERVERS, THE CONTENT (INCLUDING THE VIRTUAL GOODS AND SERVICES), AND YOUR ACCOUNT, STRICTLY ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WRITTEN OR ORAL, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

NO VALUE, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS GUARANTEED OR WARRANTED WITH RESPECT TO ANY CONTENT, INCLUDING VIRTUAL TENDER OR ANY OTHER VIRTUAL GOODS AND SERVICES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE IN YOUR CONTENT OR ANY EXPENDITURE ON YOUR PART, LINDEN LAB AND YOU EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY COMPENSABLE VALUE RELATING TO OR ATTRIBUTABLE TO ANY DATA RELATING TO YOUR ACCOUNT RESIDING ON LINDEN LAB'S SERVERS. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK OF LOSS FROM USING THE SERVICE ON THIS BASIS.

Well, those are two examples of LL stating L$ have no actual value. If they want they can set its "value" to be 1 USD to 1000 L$ or higher. 

I give less than a tinkers dam about gatchas. I am merely pointing out where your assumptions are wrong in the eyes of the law.

Read what he wrote then read what i did.. He stated "gacha is a game mechanic by which you pay real money" I responded with the FACT that you do not ever have to pay into SL and still enjoy things. You can work in SL and earn L$. Those earned L$ can be used for whatever you want. The person who bought them initially could be 6 transactions back. 

And  THAT is why it isnt gambling nor should it be classified as such. You can see exactly what you can get and the percentage of drops. Nothing in SL has monetary value, and it all belongs to LL anyway. 

Linden Lab could state that the sky is pink in there, doesn't make it true.

Just like Sony's arbitration clause in their TOS, these things are always getting wrecked in court.

Like it or not, there's real money involved in SL, and should loot box laws come to the US, SL will have to abide by them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The law?

Then change the last lines :

by this:

G-String, who played a "skill game"
So tell me, Who exactly bought L$ to play the "skill game"? 

And yet the skill games finally ended by beeing regulated, after 11 years of SL existence. So we are allowed to create or own skill games in 2018 and this after buying a license to LL, yet all of this because we "gamble" with some virtual currency that has absolutly no value. What a mess!

isnt it in total contradiction with your "arguments"? anyway gadget PORTAL explained everything

A work?? then if we work and get paid in virtual currencies where is everything else that is normally linked to a real job work ? x))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.