Is it time to rethink 'Pride Month' in Second Life?

Jerriess

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

The rest aren't inventions.

I'm curious why you think air conditioning isn't an invention. I mean, I have no idea who actually invented refrigeration-cycle air conditioning, but surely that's an invention if anything is.

Here's a list of the fifty "most" important inventions since the wheel according to some batch of experts rounded-up by the Atlantic. Not surprisingly, many of those are 19th-century, when inventors were the celebrity unicorn CEOs of the age. It's not a great list, though, omitting the Roman's development of sanitary sewers, instead identifying "sanitation systems" from - you guessed it - the 19th century.

• Like 2

Eli Whitney invented interchangeable parts, which meant that if some part of your rifle broke, you did not need to make a new one from scratch to fit your gun — all the parts fit all the guns.

Otherwise, Americans are well known for their lack of imagination. 9_9

6 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Since the 4th of July is next week perhaps one of the lefties in the forum would like to start an "I'm ashamed of the USA because..." thread. 

Okay.

I'm ashamed of America because too many conservative straight while males live here like Phorumities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Somebody said... name an actual original American Invention... Try hard, there are fewer of them than you think...

The Internet?

I think that's right. It started in the U.S. as Arpanet, or something like that, didn't it? Which, I think, was an inter-college network, and grew from there.

I believe the ARPA was the first execution of the network that lead to the Internet, but it was invented by a Brit, Tim Berners Lee: http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/berners-lee.htm

Im not an expert though, I just googled :)

Anyway, America itself is just an European invention :P

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
typos
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Yes, you made an account specifically to hide behind and troll.

but i dont troll i simply express opinions. unfortunately when someone expesses a contrary or controversial opinion they are immediately called a troll 

of course dismissive name calling is always easier than an actual rebuttal

and, arent we all hiding behind our second life names?  i don't think i've seen anyone post any rl info about themselves

Edited by Phorumities
added some lines

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

but i dont troll i simply express opinions. unfortunately when someone expesses a contrary or controversial opinion they are immediately called a troll 

Call it whatever you like, the bottom line is you're a sock puppet and a coward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Sadly, Nuclear weapons

Sadly... NO.

America built and used one first, but they didn't invent it as such...

H.G. Wells wrote about the concept of atomic explosives in 1914...

Rutherford did the first "atom splitting" in Manchester, England in 1917...

And Leo Szilard patented "chain reactions" in 1934 (he also came up with the term critical mass)...

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Television

Hmmm questionable, John Logie Baird was demonstrating his system in a London department store in 1925. He even broadcast the annual horse race called the Derby, one year for the BBC.

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

fire blankets

The ancient Persians were making cloth from asbestos fibres a long time ago, they called it "Miracle Cloth" because when it got dirty, you could throw it in a fire, burn off the stains, rinse it in clear water and it was clean again.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Apartment blocks

The Romans had those, FYI...

Petroleum Collection and Extractio

Pretty sure the Babylonians were collecting and processing bitumen and naptha from crude oil outbreaks quite a long time ago. And the Byzantines had this fun stuff they called "Greek Fire"

I can go on,but someone is gonna ask about some of these..

If you'd stuck to teepees, kayaks, mocassins, totem poles, and lacrosse, you'd have been safe. ;) 

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Aspirin?

Bad luck, Europeans were drinking willow bark infusions for pain relief long before Cristobal Colon arrived in the Muricas in his borrowed boat...

Natives of South America were quite partial to chewing coco leaf for pain...

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You mean,The U.S. :D

And Canada, and Mexico, and every country on the continents they tagged "America". Was not a too serious remark of course ;) Basically "countries" were already long thought up, they just made a few more.

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Sadly... NO.

America built and used one first, but they didn't invent it as such...

H.G. Wells wrote about the concept of atomic explosives in 1914...

Rutherford did the first "atom splitting" in Manchester, England in 1917...

And Leo Szilard patented "chain reactions" in 1934 (he also came up with the term critical mass)...

Hmmm questionable, John Logie Baird was demonstrating his system in a London department store in 1925. He even broadcast the annual horse race called the Derby, one year for the BBC.

The ancient Persians were making cloth from asbestos fibres a long time ago, they called it "Miracle Cloth" because when it got dirty, you could throw it in a fire, burn off the stains, rinse it in clear water and it was clean again.

The Romans had those, FYI...

Pretty sure the Babylonians were collecting and processing bitumen and naptha from crude oil outbreaks quite a long time ago. And the Byzantines had this fun stuff they called "Greek Fire"

If you'd stuck to teepees, kayaks, mocassins, totem poles, and lacrosse, you'd have been safe. ;) 

Bad luck, Europeans were drinking willow bark infusions for pain relief long before Cristobal Colon arrived in the Muricas in his borrowed boat...

Natives of South America were quite partial to chewing coco leaf for pain...

Rome was how long ago,2000 thousand years ago? Babylonians what 3000 years ago?

A drop in the bucket to how long we've been over here.. I doubt any of them came over back then and showed how it was done..

6 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

And Canada, and Mexico, and every country on the continents they tagged "America". Was not a too serious remark of course ;) Basically "countries" were already long thought up, they just made a few more.

Ah,didn't realize you were meaning the name itself..hehehe

45 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I believe the ARPA was the first execution of the network that lead to the Internet, but it was invented by a Brit, Tim Berners Lee

You misread the article you linked to. Berners-Lee was using the Internet before he came up with his invention - the hyperlink. BT claim that they came up with it years earlier though. The hyperlink isn't the Web, in spite of the fact that Berner's-Lee is often cited as inventing the Web, as in the article you linked to. The hyperlink facilitated the emergence of Web though. And, of course, the Web is not the Internet, and the Internet is not the Web.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A drop in the bucket to how long we've been over here..

About 13,000-16,000 years give or take... Prior to that, any Siberians and Kamchatcans heading across the Bering Strait tended to end up as Kamchatka God-Bear Chow...

Imagine a Super Grizzly, on steroids, with longer legs, that can out run a horse...

Humans tended not to survive the attempted crossing because your typical late ice age extended family grouping couldn't face down these monsters.

Colonisation had to wait for Global warming to drive the beasts into extinction.

Some claim that the native Americans arrived earlier, but basically got stuck in western Alaska, waiting for the glacial ice sheet to roll back off the rest of the continent

Some how I doubt the first "Native American" settlers in western Alaska were building many apartment blocks or chewing a lot of coca leaf, or making anything out of maize...

Call me a cynic if you like.

Just  because a native culture had some particular thing 500-1000 years ago, doesn't mean that they had it 16,000 years ago when their ancestors arrived in a totally different climate in a totally different part of the continent.

16,000 years ago in western Alaska, end of an Ice Age? No Mayan calenders, no pyramids, no Amazonian herbal remedies, no petroleum industry, no apartment blocks...

24 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ah,didn't realize you were meaning the name itself..hehehe

Some claim it's from "Amerigo Vespucci"? Others point to one of John Cabot's backers being a jewish merchant in Bristol called "Americus". Not that it matters much.

I was just looking on you tube for things because there isn't much else to do right now..

Anyways,rather than type it I'll just post the video..

If they are true ,I don't know..

I couldn't make out the five. There was the telephone. I think that was a U.S. invention. And there was putting stuff in space, but that wasn't an invention. The rockets that facitlitated it was, of course, but that was a German invention if you don't count the Chinese rockets centuries earlier. I couldn't make out what the other three were.

52 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

But you don't simply express opinions that are contrary or controversial. I've seen others express controversial opinions from time to time, and while not often accepted warmly they are not called trolls.
You are called a troll because you're not serious about having a discussion....you only want to argue and berate others who are on the left side of the political spectrum.
It's obvious your mission is to put down "lefties". You are not trying to have any kind of real debate. That's why you are a troll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.