Is it time to rethink 'Pride Month' in Second Life?

Jerriess

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

But by 1905 the Wright Brothers could do controlled flights of 24 1/2 miles.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1905/index.cfm

Traian Vuia: 24 meter flight, 1906 - I probably could fling my reading glasses upon reading flapdoodle farther than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traian_Vuia

Jacob Ellehammer: 42 meters, tethered, 1906. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellehammer_semi-biplane

What about Richard Pearse (New Zealand) March 1902 flight? 350 yards or so

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

And what about Wan Hu's flight in the 16th century?

Wan_Hu_large.png

Well, he was into BDSM. Wikipedia says

"But the rocket under the chair exploded, burning the mandarin and so angered the Emperor that he ordered a severe paddling for Wang."

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

But by 1905 the Wright Brothers could do controlled flights of 24 1/2 miles.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1905/index.cfm

Traian Vuia: 24 meter flight, 1906 - I probably could fling my reading glasses upon reading flapdoodle farther than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traian_Vuia

Jacob Ellehammer: 42 meters, tethered, 1906. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellehammer_semi-biplane

Ever the skeptic, I just went outside (as you would too, unless you live in an auditorium) to fling my reading glasses across the lawn. I wouldn't call the maneuver I used a "fling". It was more like a "throw" or a "hurl" and it took me several attempts to work down the sharp pain in my right arm/shoulder. I have (had?) a pretty good throwing arm, but was unable to throw my glasses farther than about 15 meters until I folded them up. I probably got to about 20 meters that way, and I think I could reach 24 after a bit more warmup.

As I stand all of 5'2" dripping wet, I suspect you could throw farther than me, so I'll accept your claim (and you did say "probably").

I'm having a little difficulty reading what I'm typing, so excuse me while I go wash my reading glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Klytyna said:

You mean apart from a vast amount of money, and the origin of most if the technology it's used over the last 200 odd years?

Try and name an actual original American Invention... Try hard, there are fewer of them than you think...

Sadly, Nuclear weapons, the electric chair, and lots of ways to kill each other. 

Happily, Air conditioning, Basketball, Candy apples, calculators, dental floss, Coca-cola, Pepsi, Drive-ins, Asphalt shingles, the cotton gin, Crayons, *coughs* fidget spinners, fire blankets, flashlights, *smirks* fleshlights, Jelly Beans, marshmallow fluff, graham crackers, lobster traps, space shuttles, Glucose meter, Television, WD-40 and lastly for a lot of those on the forums... Preparation-H.  

• Haha 1

American Native inventions.

Lacrosse
Chewing Gum
Pharmaceuticals
Bunk Beds
Petroleum Collection and Extraction
Pest Control
Oral Contraception
Baby Bottles and Formula
Syringes, or Hypodermic Needles
Toboggan
Kayak
Beef Jerky
Cornbread
just about anything corn based
Apartment blocks

I can go on,but someone is gonna ask about some of these..So the less explanations I have to give or look up, the better..

hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Lacrosse
Chewing Gum
Pharmaceuticals
Bunk Beds
Pest Control
Oral Contraception
Baby Bottles and Formula
Toboggan
Kayak
Beef Jerky
Cornbread
Apartment blocks

I can go on,but someone is gonna ask about some of these..So the less explanations I have to give or look up, the better..

hehehehe

I believe Russell Means in his book Where White Men Fear To Tread claimed the Aztecs invented open heart surgery, but he was only half right. They were able to remove the hearts but couldn't put them back.

• Haha 2

Just now, Phorumities said:

I believe Russell Means in his book Where White Men Fear To Tread claimed the Aztecs invented open heart surgery, but he was only half right. They were able to remove the hearts but couldn't put them back.

I was so close to drinking something when I read that..Luckily I paused first..

hehehehe

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Lacrosse
Chewing Gum
Pharmaceuticals
Bunk Beds
Pest Control
Oral Contraception
Baby Bottles and Formula
Toboggan
Kayak
Beef Jerky
Cornbread
Apartment blocks

hehehehe

Aspirin?

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Aspirin?

I don't know all what they did,but there was a lot..A lot of medicines came out of America..they know of like 2500 or so plants that natives used for medicine,But those are only the ones they know about..

There's tons more than that though, that they don't know about..

Medicine is all over the  land.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Sadly, Nuclear weapons, the electric chair, and lots of ways to kill each other. 

Happily, Air conditioning, Basketball, Candy apples, calculators, dental floss, Coca-cola, Pepsi, Drive-ins, Asphalt shingles, the cotton gin, Crayons, *coughs* fidget spinners, fire blankets, flashlights, *smirks* fleshlights, Jelly Beans, marshmallow fluff, graham crackers, lobster traps, space shuttles, Glucose meter, Television, WD-40 and lastly for a lot of those on the forums... Preparation-H.  

Not quite :)

The space shuttle is a rocket - invented in Germany, and continued by a German in the U.S.

Candy apples? Maybe, but who knows? We call them toffee apples.

Soft drinks (represented in your list by coca-cola and pepsi)? Again, who knows?

Drive-ins aren't an invention. They are merely a way of marketing an invention.

What's a "cotton gin"? A cotton Jenny? Probably invented in the U.S.

Television? That was John Logie Baird (Scotland) and Marconi - where was he? He doesn't sound american, but he might have been.

Lobster traps? Who knows where they originated?

The rest aren't inventions.

:D

Edited by Phil Deakins

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Not quite :)

The space shuttle is a rocket - invented in Germany, and continued by a German in the U.S.

Candy apples? Maybe, but who knows? We call them toffee apples.

Soft drinks (represented in your list by coca-cola and pepsi)? Again, who knows?

Drive-ins aren't an invention. They are merely a way of marketing an invention.

What's a "cotton gin"? A cotton Jenny? Probably invented in the U.S.

Television? That was John Logie Baird (Scotland) and Marconi - where was he? He doesn't sound american, but he might have been.

Lobster traps? Who knows where they originated?

The rest aren't inventions.

:D

Second life:P

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Marconi - where was he? He doesn't sound american, but he might have been.

Italian. But I like to think Tesla was ahead of Marconi. 

TV, like the airplane was the sum work of many people, each standing on the shoulders of those before.

Just now, Callum Meriman said:

Italian. But I like to think Tesla was ahead of Marconi. 

TV, like the airplane was the sum work of many people, each standing on the shoulders of those before.

I'd forgotten about him. He didn't get the credit he deserved. They were three independant inventors, who all came up a method for TV. So I'll give Tesla a tick, even though it was Marconi's invention that won the day. Baird's was actually broadcast but it was a really silly method and, in practise, quite useless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ah, but Second Life isn't an invention ;)

You mean, they were unable to file successful patents for any part of the Second Life software? That would be surprising. Here in the U.S., if there’s a patent then we can also consider it an invention- even if it is one component.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.