Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But that’s awkward too. Conversation is an art!

Using pickup lines just shows me the other person has no confidence in themselves. If someone doesn't have confidence in themselves, how can I? Pickup lines can make an uncomfortable situation that could have been handled better even more uncomfortable. What do you think will happen if the person you are using "lines" on isn't comfortable with what is being said? It's guaranteed you'll get shot down every time.

Conversation doesn't have to be an "art". It does, after all, begin with a simple greeting. You don't need to be suave and debonair. That comes off as fake. Just. Be. Yourself.

Unless, of course, you like being shot down. Then, by all means, proceed. O.o

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Conversation doesn't have to be an "art". It does, after all, begin with a simple greeting

You have to show genuine interest about a person to get them genuinely conversing. Not everyone has those skills. I, on the other hand, have mad skills!

06CC5272-A34E-469B-A619-C482B74F1C9F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You have to show genuine interest about a person to get them genuinely conversing. Not everyone has those skills. I, on the other hand, have mad skills!

06CC5272-A34E-469B-A619-C482B74F1C9F.jpeg

So you are saying that one should do this:

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?"

instead of this:

"Hi. I'm Love. I hope your day has been going well."

That first one just got the door slammed in your face. The second one, however, just opened the door enough to get your foot in.

It's too freaking early in the morning.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So you are saying that one should do this:

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?"

instead of this:

"Hi. I'm Love. I hope your day has been going well."

That first one just got the door slammed in your face. The second one, however, just opened the door enough to get your foot in.

It's too freaking early in the morning.

No ma’am. The earlier quote was an old joke, an example of a classic “Groucho Marx” style line. I was not seriously suggesting that is a good conversation opener, if you don’t already know the person and their sense of humor.

What I was trying to convey is, “pickup lines” aside (I don’t generally use them and an turned off by them), I have genuine confidence in my conversational skills.

Heck, real life me has turned down direct pickup lines because I was terrified by being put on the spot. Example: “You’re hot, want to play?” My response: “Err, I just got here sorry.”

48 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No ma’am. The earlier quote was an old joke, an example of a classic “Groucho Marx” style line. I was not seriously suggesting that is a good conversation opener, if you don’t already know the person and their sense of humor.

What I was trying to convey is, “pickup lines” aside (I don’t generally use them and an turned off by them), I have genuine confidence in my conversational skills.

Heck, real life me has turned down direct pickup lines because I was terrified by being put on the spot. Example: “You’re hot, want to play?” My response: “Err, I just got here sorry.”

It was also a line in a country song.

Sorry. From now on I won't attempt to reinforce what you are trying to convey in plainer terms. :$

Edited by Selene Gregoire

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That’s why I said Ewwww. 

It's a good song. If you don't know the lyrics, here they are:

Lyrics
If I said you had a beautiful body
Would you hold it against me
If I swore you were an angel,
Would you treat me like the devil tonight
If I were dying of thirst
Would your flowing love come quench me

Now we can talk all night about the weather
Tell you 'bout my friends out on the coast
I could ask a lot of crazy questions
Or I could ask what I really want to know

The rain can fall so soft against the window
The sun can shine so bright up in the sky
But daddy always told me, "Don't make small talk"
He said, "Come on out and say what's on your mind"

So if I said you had a beautiful body

Songwriters: David Bellamy
If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body (Would You Hold It Against Me) lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

• Like 1

These aren't exactly lines, but moments that have happened that just irk me. First off. Unpopular opinion, probably because I'm a guy.. But I don't mind if someone says "hi, how are you?" or any other variant. If that's the only way someone knows how to start a convo, then so be it. I open with that if there's nothing to start a conversation with (aka profile is not very descriptive), so I won't be a hypocrite and demand them talk about quantum physics to start a convo (that would be funny though).
If it goes in a weird direction, I'll say something or block (if it gets real weird and they won't stop). However, I don't shut down anyone right away if they're not doing anything to deserve it. It's that kind of attitude that made me leave IMVU. Where no one wanted to make new friends and just sat in silence if a new person in the room tried to get a conversation going. ? Like I said, I can see it's the unpopular opinion, but I also can see I'm in the minority when it comes to guys posting here.. Maybe if I was hit on as much, even a hello or a basic conversation opener would bother me. 

When someone copies and pastes something from my profile and goes "this has me interested"... and it's basically my whole profile. Obviously the profile is there for other people to read (not for me to read again), and start conversations with, but it shows me you're lazy if you can't even pick out a few things here and there to start a conversation with. Either that, or shows me you have no idea how because you know nothing about the subjects I'm interested in. At least try, or even go: "hey I see you're into ____. I don't know much about it, but it's similar to ____. Have you heard about it?"

My other issue is when someone assumes I'm checking them out, calls me some name, and then I have the explain to them that I'm gay as hell and have no interest in them. It's just where I happened to stop (usually because I have to do something AFK). OR in the most usual context: me asking you to change into something that covers you for a dress code if I'm hosting. I'm not that guy, so don't assume I am. 

I don't have many irked moments, since I keep to myself and am pretty chill about most things.. but those are mine. 

Edited by SirParadox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SirParadox said:

First off. Unpopular opinion, probably because I'm a guy.. But I don't mind if someone says "hi, how are you?" or any other variant. If that's the only way someone knows how to start a convo, then so be it. I open with that if there's nothing to start a conversation with (aka profile is not very descriptive), so I won't be a hypocrite and demand them talk about quantum physics to start a convo (that would be funny though).

I agree; BUT this is not okay:

1: hi, how are you?

2: not too bad thanks, how are you?

1: I'm good thanks

*crickets*

*tumbleweed*

1: did I do something wrong?

You get the picture.

As the one being IM'd, it's not my job to effectively start a conversation from nothing if those three lines of small talk don't kick things off. Strangers can't just throw me the conch and expect me to entertain them like a court jester. I'm all up for a conversation, but that's a team effort.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I agree; BUT this is not okay:

You get the picture.

As the one being IM'd, it's not my job to effectively start a conversation from nothing if those three lines of small talk don't kick things off. Strangers can't just throw me the conch and expect me to entertain them like a court jester. I'm all up for a conversation, but that's a team effort.

Oh of course, I get that. If someone can't carry a conversation, it IS annoying as hell. What I guess I wasn't getting was how it was annoying if someone does reach out, and they open with "how are you?" and get shut down with attitude like they're a plebe that only is going to do small talk. That's the vibe I was getting from some (not all) of the posts in here. ? I don't mean to offend or anything, I just thought that attitude was a bit ridiculous for an open sim site based around being social. That was the point I was making. How is it annoying if someone is trying to start a convo and actually does have things to talk about.. but some people won't even let them get to that?  
I get it. No one is owed anything, but jeez. It's hard enough to meet decent people and make friends. No wonder people don't stay online for long anymore. My example of "quantum physics" being an expected opener for conversation is exactly what it feels like some people expect, and is confirmed by some people's posts in this thread in their reaction to someone just asking how they are? Sadly, it's usually the people that seem the most interesting that are like this ? 

Edited by SirParadox
  • Like 1

I had a strange hit tonight off sim. 

Asking whether my profile picture which only shows my left eye,  was to convey my enlightenment.........huh?

When I go back in world I might just post the transcript. The chat went on but led nowhere. I just didn't get what he was getting at........

But another "seen your profile" opener. You dont just see someones profile. That's step 2 at least. Honesty guys, just honesty......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I had a strange hit tonight off sim. 

Asking whether my profile picture which only shows my left eye,  was to convey my enlightenment.........huh?

When I go back in world I might just post the transcript. The chat went on but led nowhere. I just didn't get what he was getting at........

But another "seen your profile" opener. You dont just see someones profile. That's step 2 at least. Honesty guys, just honesty......

I don't think its that bad if they have actually gone to the effort of reading your profile.  Or in your case, can look at the pictures :D 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.