Lines that annoy you most

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Those answers are easy! 

• He: "Where are you from?"
  • Me: "Sagitatta"
  • He: Where is that?"
  • Me: "Heterocera Atoll" (I just give region name then I tell continent name if they ask where it is)
  • He: "How old are you?"
  • Me: "Let me check profile rez date so I can be accurate"

I’m from Luna! #OldSkool

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, Ren Toxx said:

Alas, I’ve gotten more mileage of the few who opened saying they hated my profile or what it conveys about me, than the tons who either didn’t read it or didn’t care what it says, and just went with my looks (and the hope to get, um, better ones). At least with the former you get the feeling that it’s brains interacting, and not lower body parts.

I do understand your argument, though, and always made a point not to prejudge and become evasive–or downright inaccessible–until I see clear hints that that’s what the other is angling for. Heck, half of the times the conversation goes on even after that, for as long as they won’t lose patience with my trying to steer it elsewhere. Usually it’s new players whom I assume just got the wrong impression of what SL is dedicated to, and give them an honest chance to realize it’s so much more than that.

Oh, I gave this person ample time to make a conversation after sending my profile to me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't unappreciated per se... The only judgement I had was that this person was being lazy if they really wanted to know more and maybe become friends. All you have to do is start a conversation about whatever catches your interest in the profile, not send the person their own profile and expect things to unfold from there. It's a weird approach to a conversation and just is lazy (IMO). It then became clear why they were being lazy though. They really just wanted to hookup rather than just chat. After it became clear that wasn't what I was looking for, they vanished. It's frustrating inworld when all you want to do is chill and chat, but it feels like no one else does. I know that's not true, but damn it feels like that most days 😞

• Like 1

Breaking news from just now...........

Anyone who calls me "Dear" is right on the edge...................right on the edge.................I get very peeved with being called "Dear" especially by people I don't know......

Here we go then......this came off sim, which is a huge red flag anyway. Profile showed a partner......another red flag!!!

[10:03] *****: hey

[10:03] Belinda: Hi!

[10:03] *****: how are you ?

[10:04] *****: tp me ?

[10:04] Belinda: I'm fine, how are you?

[10:04] Belinda: Where are you?

[10:04] *****: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bored dear

[10:05] Belinda: Why are you bored?

[10:05] *****: if I'm alone

[10:06] Belinda: Where's your partner *****???

[10:06] *****: Life is lived in two

[10:06] *****: where is my partner Belinda ???

[10:07] *****: to know, I have not seen her for a month

[10:08] Belinda: Maybe time to update your profile then?

[10:08] *****: maybe who knows, we will see

[10:11] *****: want see dear

[10:22] *****: 'bye

[10:23] Belinda: bye *****!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Breaking news from just now...........

Anyone who calls me "Dear" is right on the edge...................right on the edge.................I get very peeved with being called "Dear" especially by people I don't know......

Here we go then......this came off sim, which is a huge red flag anyway. Profile showed a partner......another red flag!!!

[10:03] *****: hey

[10:03] Belinda: Hi!

[10:03] *****: how are you ?

[10:04] Belinda: I'm fine, how are you?

[10:04] Belinda: Where are you?

[10:04] *****: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bored dear

[10:05] Belinda: Why are you bored?

[10:05] *****: if I'm alone

[10:06] Belinda: Where's your partner *****???

[10:06] *****: Life is lived in two

[10:06] *****: where is my partner Belinda ???

[10:07] *****: to know, I have not seen her for a month

[10:08] Belinda: Maybe time to update your profile then?

[10:08] *****: maybe who knows, we will see

[10:11] *****: want see dear

[10:22] *****: 'bye

[10:23] Belinda: bye *****!

red-flags-red-flags-everywhere.jpg

Being called "dear" or "my dear" by a complete stranger sets the obnoxiously loud alarms off. The ones you can't ignore. 

• Like 3

I confess: sometimes when talking to a customer whom I really do not know but is being sweet, I call them dear. No one has complained yet.

I get called hon a lot but I kind of like it, even though I know many are insensed by it: you might as well be callimg them a certain body part.

It’s  not too hard to tell when someone is just trying to be nice, even if in a way you might not like.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2

Just now, janetosilio said:

I can kinda live with dear; I just assume they’re older. It is kind of weird though.

Hon drives me crazy though. I always get a mental image of Big Ange from Mob Wives. It’s doubly weird when a guy does it.

19502339-79FE-49A1-892B-0C66E9F99736.gif

I am aware that calling someone dear makes a person sound like they are wearing pearls, and hon makes someone sound like a diner waitress. Sweetie sounds a bit much. 

When dealing in text it is hard to convey warmth to people being nice without making a whole conversation about it.

Suggestions?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

Or sending a tp out of the blue to...where?  

I ask them exactly what the place is, what are its specific advantages over where I am at the moment, etc., and repeat the questions obdurately until they answer—sometimes they don’t, not at first, but apparently they’re not prepared for someone who repeats the question over and over, often in excess of 10 times—. By then many, out of desperation, try cockiness: “it's better here because I’m here”, so I go on to ask them exactly what are the advantages of him over the people I’m with at the moment... and so on and so forth.

I call it the “Dumb Spock act” and, because many don’t want to sound inarticulate (or dumb themselves), it has the curious effect of making them sweat while still feeling like a bucket of ice down their...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ren Toxx said:

I ask them exactly what the place is, what are its specific advantages over where I am at the moment, etc., and repeat the questions obdurately until they answer—sometimes they don’t, not at first, but apparently they’re not prepared for someone who repeats the question over and over, often in excess of 10 times—. By then many, out of desperation, try cockiness: “it's better here because I’m here”, so I go on to ask them exactly what are the advantages of him over the people I’m with at the moment... and so on and so forth.

I call it the “Dumb Spock act” and, because many don’t want to sound inarticulate (or dumb themselves), it has the curious effect of making them sweat while still feeling like a bucket of ice down their...

These are the ones that can't talk to women.  Who in the world would want to go be bored like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donna Underall said:

These are the ones that can't talk to women.  Who in the world would want to go be bored like that?

They’re the ones who get bored—if not downright exasperated—while I give ’em the roundabout. Me, I’m usually chuckling.

1 minute ago, Ren Toxx said:

They’re the ones who get bored—if not downright exasperated—while I give ’em the roundabout. Me, I’m usually chuckling.

They are the same ones that run out of conversation and then ask me what I'm thinking, or, what's wrong you got so quiet.  :P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I am aware that calling someone dear makes a person sound like they are wearing pearls, and hon makes someone sound like a diner waitress. Sweetie sounds a bit much. 

When dealing in text it is hard to convey warmth to people being nice without making a whole conversation about it.

Suggestions?

I know lots of terms of affection, but since I come from a place where they’re all saved for a child, close family members/friends, or your SO...probably not the best person to ask.

Edited by janetosilio

6 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Suggestions?

Why use any word? I find "Hon", "Dear", "Sweetie", and all terms like that off-putting.  Having a waiter call me by first name (having obviously seen it on my credit card) is very unnerving.  Can't people just talk without adding language that sounds overly familiar?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Why use any word? I find "Hon", "Dear", "Sweetie", and all terms like that off-putting.  Having a waiter call me by first name (having obviously seen it on my credit card) is very unnerving.  Can't people just talk without adding language that sounds overly familiar?

Of course. But when someone goes out of their way to be effusively sweet / complimentary / appreciative / grateful, sending hugs, and often addressing me with some endearment*, which restaurant patrons don’t usually do, I think I am in no danger of offending. 

I just Wish I could come up with something better than Dear.

* Not that anyone often does all of this, though people are regularly pretty sweet to me. 

Edited by Pamela Galli

I've just thought of another one:

"Would you be my friend?"

As in: the friendship offer popup, but especially when it appears without anything leading up to it. No conversation, not even a "Hi".

Since I became a CSR for Catwa and I'm always in the group chat helping people out whenever I'm logged in, I frequently receive those friendship offers out of the blue, far more than I ever did before. Prior to that I received maybe one or two every few months; now it's five or six every week. It's fairly obvious why: those people just want a CSR on call whenever they need one, and they're too lazy to search for the name each time they need help, so they assume that having me on their friends list is much easier. They always get the same response:

Second Life: [Avatar Name] is offering friendship.
  Would you be my friend?
 (By default, you will be able to see each other's online status.)
Second Life: Friendship offer declined.
Skell Dagger: I'm sorry, but my profile does state that I don't accept random friendship offers. Do you have a Catwa head question that I can help with?

And the answer is always... silence. 9_9

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Why? Because you can have fun with it. Teleport to a couple hundred meters above water in some random region, send the TP invite, then immediately teleport home.

I am so definitely doing this with the next random TP request I get.

I'm so un-creative - I never think of things like this.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Why? Because you can have fun with it. Teleport to a couple hundred meters above water in some random region, send the TP invite, then immediately teleport home.

That's a good way to make someone angry. It's also why I never accept random TPs from strangers. Once was more than enough. And no I didn't find it funny at all. Interrupting someone who is working just to prank them is not a good thing. You can't get back the time someone else caused you to waste. Some of us are limited as to the amount of time they can spend in world. 

What I'm saying is, please, think about the consequences to the other person before you send that request. Be considerate. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.