Jump to content
Matty Luminos

Racism in player profiles

Recommended Posts

On 03/06/2018 at 2:36 AM, Avery7xp said:

If you dont like what someone has on their profile just  dont read it

Would you like to explain to us how we could know that we wouldn't like what somebody has in their profile unless we actually read it? It's a mystery to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

I repeat myself... The song is by a band that was declared a criminal organisation in Germany, guess for what - yeah their songs...

Luckily we're not in Germany.

I can't believe this thread is still going and making such a big deal about this, honestly. But then I live in a country that absolutely takes "freedom of speech" for granted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

I repeat myself... The song is by a band that was declared a criminal organisation in Germany, guess for what - yeah their songs...

That would be because of Germanys anti-nazi laws. We believe in a little thing called Freedom of Speech in the US. Aside from a quote from a band in his profile, did he actually say anything racist? Is there really any difference between what this song says and what the Black Power Movement says? Why should he not be proud to be white? I am. None of my ancestors owned slaves, although several of them were slaves. I have Irish Gypsies in my ancestry, do you have any idea how they were treated? At one point in time every race was enslaved by another. Hell, whites were enslaved by other whites, in all but name. The things the English did to the Irish, Scots, Indians, and Chinese were atrocious. 

This, this is just words. Harmless ones at that. If you are that offended by lyrics in a profile,  you need to get off the internet. And i dont mean you specifically. The general "you."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why should he not be proud to be white? I am.

Why should anyone be "proud" of an accident of birth?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Why should anyone be "proud" of an accident of birth?

My mom always says my brother was a "happy accident", and insists that she's proud of him.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gadget Portal said:

My mom always says my brother was a "happy accident", and insists that she's proud of him.

I imagine that's because of what he's done and who he is and what he has made of himself though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Why should anyone be "proud" of an accident of birth?

Because that is who he is, its a part of him. He is proud of who he is. Are you not proud of yourself? Both of my kids were accidents... Like sent from powers beyond type accidents.. 3 types of birth control, both times.. 

To everyone saying to AR him for a few lines of text on a profile, do you fully research the companies you do business with? Do you know what charities they support? Do they support the KKK, or any anti-LGBT, racist, misogynistic, hate filled groups? Ever eat at Chick-fil-a? You just supported a company that regularly backs anti-LGBT groups. 

I would love to know what category people would AR under... None of the categories would fit. 

 

e003903b3fac5e29d30385671eff14b0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I imagine that's because of what he's done and who he is and what he has made of himself though.

nothing-goes-over-my-head-my-reflexes-ar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Because that is who he is, its a part of him. He is proud of who he is. Are you not proud of yourself? Both of my kids were accidents... Like sent from powers beyond type accidents.. 3 types of birth control, both times.. 

To everyone saying to AR him for a few lines of text on a profile, do you fully research the companies you do business with? Do you know what charities they support? Do they support the KKK, or any anti-LGBT, racist, misogynistic, hate filled groups? Ever eat at Chick-fil-a? You just supported a company that regularly backs anti-LGBT groups. 

I would love to know what category people would AR under... None of the categories would fit. 

 

e003903b3fac5e29d30385671eff14b0.png

I'm proud of myself because of what I've made of myself and not how I was born.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Hell, whites were enslaved by other whites, in all but name. The things the English did to the Irish, Scots, Indians, and Chinese were atrocious. 

You forgot the africans. Also, the chinese and indians don't consider themselves to be white.

There are major parts of England's history of which I am not proud. But also there are major parts of it of which I am proud. England led the whole world in a number of ways. We originated most of today's worldwide sports, we started the industrial revolution which swept the world, we came up with the world's first national health service, which was copied in many countries. The computer and jet engine were invented here - as well as changing the clocks to make use of the extra daylight in the summer, although the Germans were the first to use it - the British rejected it lol.

But I can't say that I'm proud to be english. I am proud of some of what england has done, and not proud of other things it has done. And I'm definitely not proud to be white. That's just chance, and chance is nothing to take pride in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Because that is who he is, its a part of him. He is proud of who he is. Are you not proud of yourself?

His colour is not who he is. His personality, nature, and what he does, are who he is. His colour is just chance.

A person can be proud of what they do, not a chance bodily feature that they played no part in creating.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait. so if I were to quote the lyrics from a Ghost song, and it offended a religious individual, would that mean I am to be AR'd because they got offended? That is beyond stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I would love to know what category people would AR under... None of the categories would fit. 

e003903b3fac5e29d30385671eff14b0.png

That would be Indecency - Broadly offensive content or conduct. Provided of course that it is actually offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You forgot the africans. Also, the chinese and indians don't consider themselves to be white.

I didn't say they did consider themselves white.. I moved on in my thought process, please keep up. 

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

His colour is not who he is. His personality, nature, and what he does, are who he is. His colour is just chance.

A person can be proud of what they do, not a chance bodily feature.

Ah, but you see, in the US is it perfectly acceptable for blacks to be proud of being black. Not Africans being proud of being Africans, just skin color. I am still confused as to why the US is the only country that has citizens adding their ancestry to their citizenry. IE, African-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, Indian-American, and so on and so forth. Perhaps, just perhaps, if we started calling ourselves simply Americans, we could start to heal the gap between us. Of course that would work for everyone if we called our selves simply, humans. 

1 minute ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Wait. so if I were to quote the lyrics from a Ghost song, and it offended a religious individual, would that mean I am to be AR'd because they got offended? That is beyond stupid.

That was kind of my point originally. I mean, if i have a few Wiccan quotes in my profile can some Right wing Christian AR me? They would find it offensive. 

 

1 minute ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

That would be Indecency - Broadly offensive content or conduct. Provided of course that it is actually offensive.

Quoting song lyrics that do not have any vulgarity in them is hardly "broadly offensive." You have to open their profile to even see it. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Hell, whites were enslaved by other whites, in all but name. The things the English did to the Irish, Scots, Indians, and Chinese were atrocious. 

You didn't move on, and I did keep up. You made mistakes, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That would be because of Germanys anti-nazi laws. We believe in a little thing called Freedom of Speech in the US. Aside from a quote from a band in his profile, did he actually say anything racist? Is there really any difference between what this song says and what the Black Power Movement says? Why should he not be proud to be white? I am. None of my ancestors owned slaves, although several of them were slaves. I have Irish Gypsies in my ancestry, do you have any idea how they were treated? At one point in time every race was enslaved by another. Hell, whites were enslaved by other whites, in all but name. The things the English did to the Irish, Scots, Indians, and Chinese were atrocious. 

This, this is just words. Harmless ones at that. If you are that offended by lyrics in a profile,  you need to get off the internet. And i dont mean you specifically. The general "you."

There's a problem with the definition of the word "pride" - it's a bit too general. It can be used to mean "I'm not ashamed", but it can also be used to mean, "I'm special." Is it appropriate to not be ashamed of being white? Yes. You shouldn't be ashamed of anything you have no control over. Does it mean you're special because you're white? No, and for exactly the same reason - it's something you have no control over.

Just in the off chance you don't realize this - the "88" part of "Landser 88"? It's not because they drive an Oldsmobile:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/the-truth-about-88-new-book-reveals-secret-meaning-of-neo-nazi-codes-a-770820.html

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I am still confused as to why the US is the only country that has citizens adding their ancestry to their citizenry. IE, African-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, Indian-American, and so on and so forth.

Over here, we are British-english, British-welsh, etc. The U.S. is not the only country like that.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I didn't say they did consider themselves white.. I moved on in my thought process, please keep up. 

Ah, but you see, in the US is it perfectly acceptable for blacks to be proud of being black. Not Africans being proud of being Africans, just skin color. I am still confused as to why the US is the only country that has citizens adding their ancestry to their citizenry. IE, African-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, Indian-American, and so on and so forth. Perhaps, just perhaps, if we started calling ourselves simply Americans, we could start to heal the gap between us. Of course that would work for everyone if we called our selves simply, humans. 

That was kind of my point originally. I mean, if i have a few Wiccan quotes in my profile can some Right wing Christian AR me? They would find it offensive. 

 

Quoting song lyrics that do not have any vulgarity in them is hardly "broadly offensive." You have to open their profile to even see it. 

Probably because it isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Probably because it isn't?

It isn't. No probably about it.

In forms, we are often asked our ethnicity

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Over here, we are British-english, British-welsh, etc. The U.S. is not the only country like that.

British isn't a country... Its an empire.. You dont see Iidris Elba saying he is African-English do you? No, you don't. 

 

9 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Probably because it isn't?

Please, show some examples.. When was the last time you heard someone say they were African-Chinese? Or Italian-Egyptian? or how about Turkish-French? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

British isn't a country... Its an empire.. You dont see Iidris Elba saying he is African-English do you? No, you don't. 

 

Please, show some examples.. When was the last time you heard someone say they were African-Chinese? Or Italian-Egyptian? or how about Turkish-French? 

Or French Canadians? Dutch and French Belgians? Arab Israelis?

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Why should anyone be "proud" of an accident of birth?

I take the stance that no one should ever made to be ashamed about a characteristic over which they have no control. That includes nationality, race, gender, ginger-status or whatever.......

I *try* to keep reminding myself that its only germane to comment about *decisions* people make regarding things that are under their control.

I’m human, I slip-up, but I am determined to keep trying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myself,I'm

oxygen,carbon,hydrogen,nitrogen,calcium,phosphorus,potassium,sulfur,sodium,chlorine, magnesium,American ! \o/

It's just that most forms don't have enough room on them,so we're not well known..

:D

hehehehe

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

British isn't a country... Its an empire.. You dont see Iidris Elba saying he is African-English do you? No, you don't. 

Sorry, but Britain is a country. Great Britain to be more precise. ('great' refers to size, and not to anything else). It's like the U.S. in that it's a conglomeration of states/countries.

I've no idea who Iidris Elba is, but I descibe myself as either just British, or British-English, or just English, depending on why I'm saying it. Heck, there are sports teams in London called London-Irish, London-Welsh, etc.

I really don't know what point you are trying to make, but to be personally proud of skin colour is nonsense. You can like being white, or black, or whatever, but it's nothing to be personally proud of as though you did something to achieve it.

Just out of interest, Cyprus is yet another country that does what you said only the U.S. does. It's main population is made up of either Greek-Cypriots or Turkish-Cypriots, and they descibe themselves as such. All are Cypriots.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to like all of you, I don’t care where you’re from ;-)  I’m fond of this little digital tribe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...