Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Any updates on this?
It has been two days already since I can not use my new alternate account because all I see is a red cloud!
How much longer do we wait for that solution?

Go to your "avatar" menu and select "Choose an avatar." Pick any of the options. That should reset all your "required elements" and allow you to rez. Then you can rebuild your avatar the way you want.

Like I said... I tried it all...
I know you dont have the problem, so I did not inquire about you. I am very upset that nothing is helping. Other accounts can see the avatar but I can not see it. All I see is a red cloud.
I even tried to log in from another viewer, Singularity. Nothing helps, it is all the same. I can not even detach my huds.

How much longer is this going to last, for crying out loud!?

33 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Like I said... I tried it all...
I know you dont have the problem, so I did not inquire about you. I am very upset that nothing is helping. Other accounts can see the avatar but I can not see it. All I see is a red cloud.
I even tried to log in from another viewer, Singularity. Nothing helps, it is all the same. I can not even detach my huds.

How much longer is this going to last, for crying out loud!?

You need to take out a support ticket - it sounds like the problem is specific to that account and Linden Lab can't "fix" it by doing anything to anything other than that account itself. "Waiting" is going to do absolutely no good.

Reading of baking on mesh it leaves in my mind some excitement about possbilities but also  many many doubts.

If i understand well from all the examples the mesh should be mod to use this feature . I also saw the "workaround" in mp that already allows somethin similar to bake on mesh even on no mod meshes.

I have a proposal but surely (even if  from my point of view it seems more efficient) I doubt it would happen to be made.

I think that to avoid onion built meshes we just need a new featture that allows us something that any 3d software already does: adding more layers (with different blending) to the diffuse channel of a material applied to my mesh.

Then allow us via LSL to have new feature to apply textres via uuid also to those channels.

The chance to have just 3 or 4 extra layers with  overlay blending to apply to my texture( diffuse channel) could be enough to solve all the fussiness with laggy onion built meshes and can also grant many easy low lag applications for other mesh items,not just body parts, as  previous pages keep focusing on.

1 hour ago, Astrid Kaufmat said:

If i understand well from all the examples the mesh should be mod to use this feature . I also saw the "workaround" in mp that already allows somethin similar to bake on mesh even on no mod meshes.

No. Most of the mainstream mesh bodies are no-mod but have some kind of applier system built-in. The new Bakes On Mesh textures will have some kind of static UUIDs that can be given to appliers like Omega.

LSL functionality for BoM has been suggested early in this thread already. We can only hope.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

<<< kinda slow - Please someone explains to me. When BOM be out will it be available for all bodies or will the bodies need have to have some script or be made especially for BOM? If not, will it be working on the free bodies and heads that are out as group gifts or freebies? I tried BOM some time ago, with that free omega hud, but I thought that once its out, any mesh body, and head that uses the same uv maps as sl would work, without the need of anything else. 

40 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

<<< kinda slow - Please someone explains to me. When BOM be out will it be available for all bodies or will the bodies need have to have some script or be made especially for BOM? If not, will it be working on the free bodies and heads that are out as group gifts or freebies? I tried BOM some time ago, with that free omega hud, but I thought that once its out, any mesh body, and head that uses the same uv maps as sl would work, without the need of anything else. 

BOM is enabled with special textures, as demonstrated by the Omega applier. I think you will be able to enable BOM with the edit window as well if I recall. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

So my old skin textures won't work?

The "special textures" are replaced with the textures that normally are applied to the default avatar. It's a case of having the viewer say, "If that avatar has something with texture 123XYZ, replace that texture with that avatar's baked head texture."

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Funny, I missed that. A lot easier than having to use an applier with the BOM UUID’s.

If you have a mod body, Love - most bodies are not - they miss telling you the important details - Lobbyists at their best again - LOL

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

If you have a mod mody, Love - most bodies are not - they miss telling you the important details - Lobbyists at their best again - LOL

If you're referring to me as the lobbyist, I said very clearly that modify permissions are required in my previous post. (Two posts ago.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

If you have a mod body, Love - most bodies are not - they miss telling you the important details - Lobbyists at their best again - LOL

And those who kvetch while knowing almost nothing about the technical aspects of the project are at their worst. And so, onward flows the Don...

• 5 weeks later...

I've got some questions that keep running through my head, so I hope those here who know BOM will be able to answer them.

> What happens to long sleeve shirts? Right now, the classic body can handle shirts that extend all the way down to where the wrist and hand meet. Appliers are able to use the glove layer for the very end of the sleeve. But as I understand it, the glove layer will not be BOM compatible. So will all long sleeve shirts end mid-forearm where mesh hands attach to the mesh body? Does the wearer then have to use an applier to extend the end of the sleeve onto the hand?

> Are alphas going to work? If onion skin layers are removed from mesh avatars, what method will people use to hide little areas that poke through? Even with body specific fitted mesh, sometimes the use of the alpha cuts on mesh bodies is necessary. And certainly there's a tremendous volume of standard rigged mesh and the first iteration of fitmesh which is absolutely wearable, but does require the alpha cuts from the mesh body.

1 hour ago, Arwen Serpente said:

I've got some questions that keep running through my head, so I hope those here who know BOM will be able to answer them.

> What happens to long sleeve shirts? Right now, the classic body can handle shirts that extend all the way down to where the wrist and hand meet. Appliers are able to use the glove layer for the very end of the sleeve. But as I understand it, the glove layer will not be BOM compatible. So will all long sleeve shirts end mid-forearm where mesh hands attach to the mesh body? Does the wearer then have to use an applier to extend the end of the sleeve onto the hand?

> Are alphas going to work? If onion skin layers are removed from mesh avatars, what method will people use to hide little areas that poke through? Even with body specific fitted mesh, sometimes the use of the alpha cuts on mesh bodies is necessary. And certainly there's a tremendous volume of standard rigged mesh and the first iteration of fitmesh which is absolutely wearable, but does require the alpha cuts from the mesh body.

1) There will be no "border" between the hand and a mesh body the way there is with a hand and a system body. A skin-tight shirt baked onto the skin layer will show up just like a tattoo, etc. would.

2) Worn alphas will work on mesh bodies with BOM as long as the body is set to alpha masking with a non-0 cutoff. They won't work with current bodies on the market because of how they're made, but then current bodies will still have the alpha cut system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

1) There will be no "border" between the hand and a mesh body the way there is with a hand and a system body. A skin-tight shirt baked onto the skin layer will show up just like a tattoo, etc. would.

2) Worn alphas will work on mesh bodies with BOM as long as the body is set to alpha masking with a non-0 cutoff. They won't work with current bodies on the market because of how they're made, but then current bodies will still have the alpha cut system.

Great! This is very helpful, thank you.

One more question about a long sleeve shirt - right now if it is applied to a classic body, it cuts off, even if the actual texture goes onto the hand. Then a glove would be made from that same texture.  If I understand correctly the texture that is on the UV will go on the mesh body in its entirety. On a classic body it would cut off at the wrist/hand border, but for a mesh body it will go all the way down? So, no need to make a glove clothing layer?

2 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Great! This is very helpful, thank you.

One more question about a long sleeve shirt - right now if it is applied to a classic body, it cuts off, even if the actual texture goes onto the hand. Then a glove would be made from that same texture.  If I understand correctly the texture that is on the UV will go on the mesh body in its entirety. On a classic body it would cut off at the wrist/hand border, but for a mesh body it will go all the way down? So, no need to make a glove clothing layer?

The old "clothing" wearables have built-in alpha sections so there are parts of the avatar they'll never cover. That's why you needed to make a "glove" wearable for extremely long sleeves.The best solution if you want to make a sleeve that long is to use a tattoo wearable or the new "universal tattoo" wearables, which will layer on top of the original tattoo wearables. They have no adjustable alpha sections, unlike "shirts", "undershirts" or "jackets."

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So, I'm just a "regular user" I don't build or create things at this time.  I very much want to use a skin that works with my classic avatar on a new mesh body, probably Maitreya. I do not have the UUID for the skin, and the crafter has retired from SL.  So I find out about baked on mesh, and find this discussion. 25 pages later and I am very confused. I have 2 questions:  Is there a simple forum with a "how to" guide without all the bickering? If not can someone who understands how all of this great stuff works make one in simple (and I mean like explaining it to a 5 yr old simple) terms? Or email the directions to me?  I did see that i need a new viewer so I went ahead and downloaded it. So I guess thats step 1? I also went and picked up the baked on mesh applier (experimental) from Omega, I'm guessing that is one of the steps as well?  but the rest of it is very confusing for me. 

#2  Will it be possible to use this new technology if I do not have the UUID? some of the posts said you need it, others say you don't need it.  

It is not even out yet, @zoyiab I doubt it will change much until it's final release but there always is the small chance that LL will redo huge chunks of it or abbandon it on the last meters (They would never do so? See Occulus viewer...)

So until it's done there won't be many tutorials on how to do it. @Natascha Randt discovered this free BoM to Maitreya HUD which might be useful to you at Cute or Die - but until the code gets implemented in your viewer it won't be of much help to you.

Edited by Fionalein

11 hours ago, zoyiab said:

So, I'm just a "regular user" I don't build or create things at this time.  I very much want to use a skin that works with my classic avatar on a new mesh body, probably Maitreya. I do not have the UUID for the skin, and the crafter has retired from SL.  So I find out about baked on mesh, and find this discussion. 25 pages later and I am very confused. I have 2 questions:  Is there a simple forum with a "how to" guide without all the bickering? If not can someone who understands how all of this great stuff works make one in simple (and I mean like explaining it to a 5 yr old simple) terms? Or email the directions to me?  I did see that i need a new viewer so I went ahead and downloaded it. So I guess thats step 1? I also went and picked up the baked on mesh applier (experimental) from Omega, I'm guessing that is one of the steps as well?  but the rest of it is very confusing for me. 

#2  Will it be possible to use this new technology if I do not have the UUID? some of the posts said you need it, others say you don't need it.  

1) Log into the project viewer.

2) Make a copy of your body, hands and feet and wear them. Any body currently on the market that supports Omega skins will work; I'll be using Maitreya in the rest of the instructions.

3) DO NOT wear the full-body alpha that comes with the body. Take it off if you're already wearing it.

4) Wear the experimental Omega applier and your Maitreya Omega relay.

5) Click the experimental Omega applier and install the bakes-on-mesh textures. If you're using the default head be sure to select "Body only."

The body you're wearing will now take system skins and clothing exactly the same way the default body does, using the same interface. You won't be able to use worn alphas with a Maitreya body because of arcane settings that you can't change as an end-user, but the alpha cut system will work the same as any other Maitreya body.

Depending on your skin, it will almost certainly have issues with the toes and fingertips on your mesh feet and hands. These can be fixed by wearing a tattoo that covers those areas similar to how a cleavage tattoo works. There may or may not be issues with nipple and navel position, breast shading, etc. because those locations weren't standardized with old skins.

This will only work on the project viewer. Anyone else not on the Bakes-on-Mesh project viewer, including you if you log in with another viewer, will see your avatar covered with bright colors and text, and with parts of your default mesh body poking through the mesh body.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading the post on this last page and wanted to clear up some things.

1. Bakes on mesh require no scripts to work.
         You only need the Omega Applier script if a custom mesh body wasn't setup to use Bakes On Mesh and is no mod.
         Almost all the current mesh bodies were sold with no mod permissions so the customer can not edit the settings to use Bakes On Mesh.  Hence why they need the Omega applier.
         The Omega Bakes On Mesh applier is to get around the no mod problem.  It is a bit limited and does not have the full functionality that a custom mesh avatar has that is setup to use Bakes On Mesh by the mesh body designer.
          I am sure most, if not all, custom mesh body designers will setup the bodies to work with Bakes On Mesh or will release updates of their current mesh bodies so they work with Bakes on Mesh and there will not be a need to use the Omega Bakes On Mesh applier even if the bodies are no mod.

2. Will my old skin made by a creator who has left SL work with Bakes On Mesh?  YES!!! :D

3. Does the old skin need to have mod permissions for it to work with Bakes On Mesh?  NO!!! :D 
         If you can wear it on your LL default avatar it will automatically be applied to your custom mesh avatar that is setup to use Bakes On Mesh.
         You are limited to 60 system clothing layers if memory serves me correct.  So you could wear 1 skin and 59 tattoo layers or any other combinations of skin, tattoos, underwear, shirts, pants, skirts, jackets and so on.  Most custom mesh onion skinned avatars are about 4 layers.  You are really wearing 4 avatars.  Each one is just a bit bigger than the next to simulate the 4 layers.  This is called an onion skinned avatar.  Bakes on mesh we get 60 layers on a custom avatar that is just 1 layer or one avatar not 4 avatars.

4. System avatar skins are limited to 512 by 512 textures.  Won't that make my custom avatar mesh look bad?  System avatars are no longer limited to 512 by 512 textures and can now use 1024 by 1024 textures.  So while yes older skins that were uploaded with 512 by 512 textures will still be at 512 by 512.  New skin textures can be at 1024 by 1024 textures. 
         I have seen some great old skin textures that were and are 512 by 512.  Smaller textures don't necessarily mean bad looking or less attractive textures.  

5. Alphas and hiding the custom mesh avatar body parts that poke through my mesh clothing?
       Right now the custom avatar body designers have to cut up their avatars into a hundred or more individual pieces and create a hud so the customer can hide different parts of the body and hopefully they will be able to hide just the part of the body they want.
       With Bakes On Mesh the mesh clothing designer will provide an Alpha for the customer to wear just like they do for mesh clothing made for the LL default avatar.  Making an alpha only takes about 10 or 15 minutes for the clothing designer.  With Bakes On Mesh you could make your own alpha as long as you know the UV layout.  Since all the custom mesh avatars I am aware of use the LL default avatar UV layout this will not be a problem.

Basically Bakes On Mesh makes changing outfits and skins for custom mesh avatars as easy as it is for the LL default avatar.   Just go into your inventory and right mouse click on a folder and select wear or wear the mesh clothing and wear the alpha made for it.

6. What about Normal Maps and Spec Maps?  Bakes On Mesh does not apply them.  They will either have to be applied manually or with an applier.  LL is looking into adding them to Bakes On Mesh but no promises that they will. 

Here is my video I made 9 months ago.  I believe almost all the information is still accurate though things have been added since I made the video.

Hope that helps! :)
Cathy

• Thanks 4

On 2/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, Fionalein said:

So you volunteer to paint the alphas for all the clothes? How noble!

I'm more thinking about them just releasing a free update, "body X, BOM/light version, use the one you prefer!" with no mesh slices or onion skins.

So much more efficient in the draw call department.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.