Observations after 13 years in this environment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not my oldest avatar but the only one as a paying account The many things I have observed here in the long past is the failure of this most perfect 3D game ,adventure to support the perfection that has been created. I  observe the suppose replacements from time to time and find them lacking in any forward development. SL 2 hifi wake up guys you have already created the perfect interactive format. It is time to put efforts in improving this platform. Quit spinning your brain dead creative wheels and realize this is the platform to develop. All the new tech is sorry CRAP no  vision. The perfect platform was created in 1999 come back to it and input your creativity in something that works

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Iloie Perse said:

I am not my oldest avatar but the only one as a paying account The many things I have observed here in the long past is the failure of this most perfect 3D game ,adventure to support the perfection that has been created. I  observe the suppose replacements from time to time and find them lacking in any forward development. SL 2 hifi wake up guys you have already created the perfect interactive format. It is time to put efforts in improving this platform. Quit spinning your brain dead creative wheels and realize this is the platform to develop. All the new tech is sorry CRAP no  vision. The perfect platform was created in 1999 come back to it and input your creativity in something that works

Hmm... you need to change your username when that is possible later this year.
You know, "Perse" in my native language means :ph34r: "Arse". :/:P
Yes really, not joking. (Just to let you know...)

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Iloie Perse said:

Your threshold of perfection is remarkably low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Believe it or not, you actually don't HAVE to have a paying account.. If LL is upsetting you that much, perhaps constructive criticism instead of throwing your breakfast all over the forums and trotting from the dinner table. Not that they read this area of the forums, but it's a thought! 

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Shhhhh!  Why did you have to go and tell everyone!?

(being a surname choice meant it was at our hands.... ooops!)

• Haha 8

I know it's scary but sometimes...

Time moves this way ------>

And stuff changes.

Also... why are these kinds of rants always incoherent? They always read not like an ESL writer, but like a native English speaker that dropped out of school somewhere between 3rd and 4th grade...

(With an ESL writer, there's usually just grammar issues I have to unlock / find a pattern to, but the intelligent and organized point of an educated person lies within.)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 7:01 PM, Coby Foden said:

Hmm... you need to change your username when that is possible later this year.

Did you say we can change our usernames this year??? :o Where did you hear about that!!

4 minutes ago, zhephs said:

Did you say we can change our usernames this year??? :o Where did you hear about that!!

From here: Happy 15th Birthday Second Life - Fifteen Reasons to Celebrate , item 7. There's a little information out -- you'll be able to change your name as often as you wish. You choose your first name yourself, but your last name must chosen from a  list of surnames. The new name will replace your current username. You can't choose a name that's already been used.

ETA: The timeframe is "later this year", with LL saying that doesn't necessarily mean the end of the year. They've got internal things to change before name changes are possible.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Additional information

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

From here: Happy 15th Birthday Second Life - Fifteen Reasons to Celebrate , item 7. There's a little information out -- you'll be able to change your name as often as you wish. You choose your first name yourself, but your last name must chosen from a  list of surnames. The new name will replace your current username. You can't choose a name that's already been used.

Oh so if I just wanted to change my username, but I don't want a last name I can't? Hmm I hope the last name choices are nice :D

4 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

There's a little information out -- you'll be able to change your name as often as you wish.

Where did that info come from. I haven't seen it and, if it's true, I find it a bit disconcerting, not to mention a really bad idea.

Edited by Phil Deakins

31 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Where did that info come from. I haven't seen it and, if it's true, I find it a bit disconcerting, not to mention a really bad idea.

Here: https://modemworld.me/2018/03/23/the-return-of-second-life-last-names-update-with-audio/

There are audio clips from meeting with Lindens where you can hear Linden saying that you can change your name as often as you want.
But there will be a fee to discourage people changing their name too often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Coby.

The fee will help a bit, and I hope it's big enough to discourage frivolous changes; i.e. turning up in disguise - looking different and with a different name. I don't like it at all. I appreciate that LL wants to earn from it, but the ability to change names as often as we like is a mistake, imo. A once-only no-cost change is plenty. It would allow all the 'Resident' users to get a proper last name, and allow those who don't like their names to get better ones. More than that is completely unnecessary, and can be harmful, imo.

Unless there's be a quick 'n' easy way to identify an avatar's history of names, I can see a market for a system to do just that.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Thank you, Coby.

The fee will help a bit, and I hope it's big enough to discourage frivolous changes; i.e. turning up in disguise - looking different and with a different name. I don't like it at all. I appreciate that LL wants to earn from it, but the ability to change names as often as we like is a mistake, imo. A once-only no-cost change is plenty. It would allow all the 'Resident' users to get a proper last name, and allow those who don't like their names to get better ones. More than that is completely unnecessary, and can be harmful, imo.

Unless there's be a quick 'n' easy way to identify an avatar's history of names, I can see a market for a system to do just that.

Assuming that the allow/ban lists are automatically updated when names change (otherwise it'll be a really big pain), it will still make it difficult to keep track of banned people. I've got a record of why I've banned each person, but it's recorded by user name (they don't change :S). If enough names change it will be difficult to tie the current name to the previous behavior. Being able to see the name history would help a lot.

• Like 2

Is your ban list the parcel's ban list? If it is, it'll be stored by keys, and only displayed by names, so it won't be affected. But if your list is text that you've created yourself, then it'll likely be screwed. Even if your list is self- written text to remind you why those on the parcel's list are there, you'll likely be in the dark.

At this very moment, I'm busy converting my security device to work primarily with keys, just in case. I really dislike the idea of changing names as often as we like.

43 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I really dislike the idea of changing names as often as we like.

As long as the person is traceable via UUID and as long as you can search on any previous name and get the current one, I don't see any issues with changing names often - if the person is willing to pay the money.

• Like 2

It's a fair enough was of looking at it, Lil. But I think it will scupper stuff. Parhelion's stuff, for instance. Security devices that work with names is another, or anything that works with names. And I dislike the idea of being able to turn up as a completely different person/avatar. It's not usual to be able to change so completely in these systems, and that's because of what I consider to be good thinking.

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't see any issues with changing names often - if the person is willing to pay the money.

I agree.
I didn't really get why people were so enthused about the ability to change names at first. I mean it was easy to understand why someone would want to avoid the minimization of identity that comes with having to name themselves Blopsop75939357 and so want the proper identity of having a first and last name, but since I have no desire to change names, at first I couldn't understand why having the ability to change from one first and last name to another was so appealing.
But...I think it's similar to how we like to change avatars -- a sense of freedom, not being tied to any one thing, a spirit of experimentation. It's just fun to play around with identity, and names are so crucial to identity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's a fair enough was of looking at it, Lil. But I think it will scupper stuff. Parhelion's stuff, for instance. Security devices that work with names is another, or anything that works with names. And I dislike the idea of being able to turn up as a completely different person/avatar. It's not usual to be able to change so completely in these systems, and that's because of what I consider to be good thinking.

I go back and forth on this.  As to it breaking things that are coded on names, LL is already advising developers to update their scripts to use UUID.  If the original scripter isn't around anymore, then as someone else mentioned somewhere, their scripts are possibly using some of the older more costly functions anyway.

As to the person hiding who they were, that isn't really any different than someone creating a whole new account or bringing in an older alt. In this 'rename' case, there is a possibility that you can not only search an old name forward, but maybe search a new name backwards.

As I said, I go back and forth on it. I have mixed feelings.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

24 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Where are they advising that? I never look in the Creators forums.

They probably should make a blog post or something. 

The comment was in that inworld meeting that someone posted the link to - in this thread of one of the others talking about the name change stuff.

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Where are they advising that? I never look in the Creators forums.

https://modemworld.me/2018/03/23/the-return-of-second-life-last-names-update-with-audio/
Content Creation User Group (CCUG) meeting on Thursday, March 22nd.

"Advice from the Lab to scripters:
Given this change is coming, scripters who have a need to same avatar details should start to consider doing so by Agent ID, not first name / last name.
The Lab will most likely provide an API for resolving first name / last name into a valid."

(Psstt... not all information are told in the forums.) -_-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.