3/14 (US) 14/3 (Everywhere Else)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, RisingGrace said:

I do not see anything wrong with clarifying the difference in terms a yank is not someone from the South US that is a term specific for the North 

Even the folks in the north don't refer to themselves or use the term anymore.  It is leftover from many, many years ago.

• Like 1

Sadly, I guess, for Pi day 2018, we can all fondly remember the passing of Prof. Stephen Hawking 76, (who I am actually sure is one of the few humans in history who doesn't need to be googled).

Valē, Professor Hawking.

DYOQqqxXUAAPtpW.thumb.jpg.7a1be5a08881d14485d5d5a83433da64.jpg

Edited by Callum Meriman
Crediting https://twitter.com/tpagon for the amazing drawing
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

Me neither.

Comprehensive map of all countries in the world that use the MMDDYYYY format:

mmddyyy.png.6c6377fd7c18e08d7ec7bb4a21441783.png

It's not as widespread that. The military forces use the international YYYYMMDD format and they are big in the USA.

• Like 2

how famous is the Schnitzel and BJ Day? It´s a ...well... mid-thing? Over here...Kinda the Guys´Valentines Day ... not as big as it is in Japan under a different name.... but....yeah ;) 

I wished D both but as we´re occupying both our flats during the week ....things won´t happen till Friday

11 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

Me neither.

Comprehensive map of all countries in the world that use the MMDDYYYY format:

mmddyyy.png.6c6377fd7c18e08d7ec7bb4a21441783.png

Yes, the Europeans are far more sensible about numbers...

A Frenchman will say the number 75 is "sixty-fifteen."

A German will say the number 75 is "five-and-seventy." 175 is "one-hundred five and seventy."

Makes sense to me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RisingGrace said:

I do not see anything wrong with clarifying the difference in terms a yank is not someone from the South US that is a term specific for the North 

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with your post, but rather that there were things wrong with the North.

17 hours ago, RisingGrace said:

oh for the record not all Americans are yanks only the Noth Americans are us Southerners don't like being called a yank so just be sure you know what part of the US they are from before calling them a yank

It's more complicated than that.  In more traditional usage, people in the North in the US have reserved the word "Yankee" for those who live in the six New England states.  When I was growing up in New England eons ago, we really only thought of people in the northern three states (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) as "Yankees".  [Yankee Magazine -- one of the ancient and iconic hallmarks of yankeedom, also the publisher of the Old Farmer's Almanac -- is published in southern New Hampshire.]  I have been told that in Vermont the true "Yankees" are people who eat pie for breakfast.  (No, I don't know what sort of pie, but I have always assumed that it's apple pie, with a slice of cheddar cheese.)  BTW, I have never heard anyone in New England use the term "Yank", which -- when I was a youngster -- people told me was a pejorative term used by outsiders.  All of these traditional bits of lore are rapidly fading as people move around, but are still well understood in small towns in northern New England.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

When I was growing up in New England eons ago, we really only thought of people in the northern three states (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) as "Yankees".

But Yankee Doodle is the state anthem of Connecticut. That's as far south as you can get in New England.

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

But Yankee Doodle is the state anthem of Connecticut. That's as far south as you can get in New England.

True enough.  That puts them in the right clubhouse. My own Vermont ancestors, two centuries back, regarded people from Connecticut as suspiciously elitist and possibly Loyalists -- I suspect with a a big dash of anti-intellectual snobbishness thrown in. Back-country farmers tend to do that sort of thing, in this case claiming the role of Yankee purists to themselves. They would recoil today at the flood of New Yorkers who have moved up country.

35 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

True enough.  That puts them in the right clubhouse. My own Vermont ancestors, two centuries back, regarded people from Connecticut as suspiciously elitist and possibly Loyalists -- I suspect with a a big dash of anti-intellectual snobbishness thrown in. Back-country farmers tend to do that sort of thing, in this case claiming the role of Yankee purists to themselves. They would recoil today at the flood of New Yorkers who have moved up country.

According to wikipedia, the most reliable source of information mankind has ever seen, most linguists believe "yankee" is really a word for an American of Dutch origin which means Connecticut really is the northernmost of the four true yankee states, the other three being New York, New Jersey and Delaware.

That would explain why there can be ponies in New York too of course. They must be survivors form the New Amsterdam times, hiding in the sewers, feeding on pet alligators careless people flush down their toilets.

(Edit: yes I know New York today stretches far north of Connecticut but the Dutch part of it didn't.)

Edited by ChinRey

Bite your tongue, Wikipedia.  :P

According to yet another impeccable online source: "1683, a name applied disparagingly by Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut. ... Originally it seems to have been applied insultingly to the Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English. ....  In English a term of contempt (1750s) before its use as a general term for "native of New England" (1765); during the American Revolution it became a disparaging British word for all American natives or inhabitants. "

There's also this lovely quote from an article published not quite 200 years ago: "The rule observed in this country is, that the man who receives that name [Yankee] must come from some part north of him who gives it. To compensate us for giving each other nicknames, John Bull "lumps us all together," and calls us all Yankees. ["Who is a Yankee?" Massachusetts Spy, June 6, 1827] "  Which verifies what we were always told, that real Yankees were in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Edited by Rolig Loon

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Bite your tongue, Wikipedia.  :P

According to yet another impeccable online source:...

Which goes on saying (or writing):

"Originally it seems to have been applied insultingly to the Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English "

Edit: I have to state that I have nothing against the Dutch, some of my best friends are Dutch and apart from the way the treat chocolate, they are all splendid people. They are not Dutch though, they are Netherlandish or something like that. "Dutch" means "German" and that is something they certainly aren't - at least not much.

I have nothing against the English either, neither New nor Old. I'm just qouting reliable information from impeccably reliable sources on the internet and I can not claim to have any personal knowledge on the topic.

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.