Hurricane Irma

Jeny Howlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This looks absolutely devastating on the weather maps, and much of the Caribbean is in its path. Some islands are right under it now and it's currenly lined up pointed straight at Puerto Rico, followed by the Dominican Republic and Haiti, and then Cuba. It's not actually currently estimated to actually hit Orlando, where one of my closest friends from SL lives, but it'll be too damn close for my taste.

Maybe Irma will change course to the northwest and spin down a bit offshore. That would at least allow the rest of the world to get in and help what's left of the Virgin Islands who are apparently right in the middle of it.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

This looks absolutely devastating on the weather maps, and much of the Caribbean is in its path. Some islands are right under it now and it's currenly lined up pointed straight at Puerto Rico, followed by the Dominican Republic and Haiti, and then Cuba. It's not actually currently estimated to actually hit Orlando, where one of my closest friends from SL lives, but it'll be too damn close for my taste.

Maybe Irma will change course to the northwest and spin down a bit offshore. That would at least allow the rest of the world to get in and help what's left of the Virgin Islands who are apparently right in the middle of it.

I've been watching this one pretty close once I noticed it after Harvey hit..

A lot of the models were showing a more westerly track for the past few days because of the High pressure sitting over the Atlantic and also the high pressure push from the jet streams..

So a lot of the models were showing the turn point just under Miami as well as it riding under the islands and along the coast of Cuba..

Now with it looking like the jet stream may pull out earlier than expected,Most all of the projection models have shifted more easterly..They are showing Irma above the islands and cutting north earlier,to where she will be just on the edge of Florida or out side of Florida in the cooler waters..

A lot is riding on how soon the jet stream pulls out..If all that high pressure moves out early like they are showing Florida could really dodge a bullet..

Most are showing Her heading into SC and NC now..

Still this is all projections and  to be taken with a block of salt..

If I'm in Alabama ,Florida GA,SC or NC.. Hope for the best but please,please plan for the worst..

These things get in them warm waters,anything is possible.

• Like 3

Two of my cousins are making their way up with 10 of their friends..

So it's gonna be a full house for a little while here..Just so glad they didn't argue one bit about it..

Even if this does miss Florida,which is still up in the air..There is still storm surge to be concerned about. It won't take much to flood there.. There is still a lot of energy behind those waves..

Some of the models were showing it going inland and even hitting Tennessee as a cat 1.. I can't even image  what the full brunt of this storm would feel like,even seeing footage of those winds..

When they were getting 185mph winds down low,storm hunters were getting 255mph winds higher up in the storm..

An f5 tornado is 318mhp.. Somethign 500+ miles wide generating 255 mile an hour winds is just insane to even comprehend..

I can't believe their are adrenaline junkies that hunt these things to surf the waves..O.o

• Like 3

This is just insane,the winds speeds..

These people are right at the eye wall..Just look at when the gusts come..At the end it whites out the whole video to where I couldn't tell if it was wind or water ,but all hell broke loose it looked like and he went back inside.. Just insane wind speeds..

• Sad 1

This couldn't have come at a worse time for Puerto Rico.  No electricity for 4-6 months in some parts?  This is America!  We should have two or three aircraft carriers chock-full of water and food and temporary housing sitting off the coast.  How much money did we give to Haiti for relief - still giving!  We are the richest nation in the world and we are not prepared to do everything possible for our fellow Americans.  ACT NOW!  Americans are in need.  We subsidized Elon to make his battery cars and solar city - maybe he needs to get some of that solar power to the entire PR Island (and The Virgin Islands too) in 2 weeks - not 4-6 months. . . Pay back (my tax dollar) subsidy by helping ALL fellow Americans.     

4 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

This couldn't have come at a worse time for Puerto Rico.  No electricity for 4-6 months in some parts?  This is America!  We should have two or three aircraft carriers chock-full of water and food and temporary housing sitting off the coast.  How much money did we give to Haiti for relief - still giving!  We are the richest nation in the world and we are not prepared to do everything possible for our fellow Americans.  ACT NOW!  Americans are in need.  We subsidized Elon to make his battery cars and solar city - maybe he needs to get some of that solar power to the entire PR Island (and The Virgin Islands too) in 2 weeks - not 4-6 months. . . Pay back (my tax dollar) subsidy by helping ALL fellow Americans.     

Seems that after we "won" the Cold War it was decided we'd go from over 500 ships to barely 300 and we play World Cop all over the world. Add on top of that we are helping Texas recover from Harvey and getting ready to help Americans in Florida and points north. Yes, we're the richest nation in the world, but we suck at subsidizing our infrastructure and prepping for disasters.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:52 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

I've been watching this one pretty close once I noticed it after Harvey hit..

A lot of the models were showing a more westerly track for the past few days because of the High pressure sitting over the Atlantic and also the high pressure push from the jet streams..

So a lot of the models were showing the turn point just under Miami as well as it riding under the islands and along the coast of Cuba..

Now with it looking like the jet stream may pull out earlier than expected,Most all of the projection models have shifted more easterly..They are showing Irma above the islands and cutting north earlier,to where she will be just on the edge of Florida or out side of Florida in the cooler waters..

A lot is riding on how soon the jet stream pulls out..If all that high pressure moves out early like they are showing Florida could really dodge a bullet..

Most are showing Her heading into SC and NC now..

Still this is all projections and  to be taken with a block of salt..

If I'm in Alabama ,Florida GA,SC or NC.. Hope for the best but please,please plan for the worst..

These things get in them warm waters,anything is possible.

Thanks. After reading your post I looked at what I'd written and thought, "Why did I say '...to the northwest...'?" That would put Irma moving into the Caribbean and while that would probably give Florida a miss, it would for sure nail the crap out of somebody else, maybe even Houston!

Simple answer. Having lived almost all my life in, or very nearly in, coastal California (as in never more than 30 miles from the beach, often less than 5) I am wired to think of open ocean as being to the west. Drove me nuts during the two weeks I spent at a place on the Gloucester (Mass) shore. Every time I looked out at the ocean my subconscious was telling me I was looking west. Never mind that's the sunrise you're seeing. It's in the west this morning. Get over it.

So yeah. I should have said northeast. Wish to God that had happened, and I suppose something could change in the next day, but right now that looks very unlikely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Thanks. After reading your post I looked at what I'd written and thought, "Why did I say '...to the northwest...'?" That would put Irma moving into the Caribbean and while that would probably give Florida a miss, it would for sure nail the crap out of somebody else, maybe even Houston!

Simple answer. Having lived almost all my life in, or very nearly in, coastal California (as in never more than 30 miles from the beach, often less than 5) I am wired to think of open ocean as being to the west. Drove me nuts during the two weeks I spent at a place on the Gloucester (Mass) shore. Every time I looked out at the ocean my subconscious was telling me I was looking west. Never mind that's the sunrise you're seeing. It's in the west this morning. Get over it.

So yeah. I should have said northeast. Wish to God that had happened, and I suppose something could change in the next day, but right now that looks very unlikely.

Well so far that's all it's really been is northwesterly,So you're not wrong at all..It's a crap shoot on when or if it turns really..If that front stalls too long where it's at and that high pressure doesn't move out in time,Irma could get sucked right into the gulf..

All the models are banking on the jet stream and when it moves out..If it stays longer than expected..Oh boy..

I just got home from work and haven't really looked at any yet..

I'm gonna grab some links real quick of a couple of places that have a lot of really good models,if anyone is interested in checking them out..

One which is called Ventusky is really neat..You can check winds speeds and pressures and all kinds of neat stuff..

https://www.ventusky.com/

The other is MyFoxHurricane. that one has the Global model and Navy model and European model,plus more..Just about all of them..

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 3

My heart goes out to all of you people who have been, and are still threatened by what seems to be at least 4 major storms. I can only hope that aid arrives quickly for you and that the storms abate sooner than we think. Try to keep strong everyone, the rest of the world is thinking of you and sends love your way(it would be wonderful if we could send practical help, but we hope that our governments are working on that!).

I know that one of our Forumites lives in Florida - Hippie. Does anyone know if he and his family are ok.?

My thanks to anyone who may reply.........

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kimsby Kidd said:

I know that one of our Forumites lives in Florida - Hippie. Does anyone know if he and his family are ok.?

He was online this morning and so far was not evacuating as he watches the tracking.  With it turning more westward, he may be heading out.

• Like 2

Hippie is a daily contributor to the Feed (my.secondlife.com) and I just checked his Feed a few minutes ago. They got a Mandatory Evacuation notice about 10 hours ago (which he of course doesn't like much but I like a lot—we just want him somewhere safer, right?—so he's packing. They're leaving tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 3:42 AM, Chase01 said:

I was just reading an article from NBC about the insane price gouging going on for essential supplies. Disgusting! Apparently it isn't limited to just water. These companies should be ashamed of themselves.

Ahead of Irma, Outrage Toward Sky-High Amazon Water Prices

ScreenHunter_234 Sep. 08 03.38.jpg

If anyone really thinks any of that water would be delivered... Pretty sure USPS, Fed Ex and UPS are not delivering in lower  Florida right now.. 

Stay safe everyone. 

12 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If anyone really thinks any of that water would be delivered... Pretty sure USPS, Fed Ex and UPS are not delivering in lower  Florida right now.. 

Stay safe everyone. 

These were the prices leading up the storm. At that time the product could still be delivered. The Florida AG had a hotline setup for people to report price gouging.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.