How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

12 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

This makes me wonder how close you could get to an impressionist vibe.

Well, a little over a year ago, I did a series based on Degas' ballerinas. It was sort of accidental: I did one shot that I wanted to incorporate into another, and posted it . . . and it sort of took off. Eventually New World Notes did a couple of stories on the series, including a run-through from me about how to do it (which is very different from how I'm playing with watercolours now).

I'm honestly not really interested in doing "fake" oils or watercolours per se, other than occasionally as a fun diversion: my interest in the Degas was in his use of lighting, and the way he captured mood and expression. What I'm really looking to do right now, with the watercolours anyway, is find an approach that I can apply to digital photos, not as faux paintings but as something new in its own right. But we'll see how that progresses. I have an "idea": it remains to be seen how well I can realize it.

Anyway, here's one of the Degas series, which I think I've probably posted here before.

The Dancer VII: Les coulisses

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You appear to have spilt chocolate sauce all over your bosom. Messy eater!

Actually, I threw the entire picture into a vat of brown gravy and let it simmer for an hour before taking it out and wiping it off with a dirty sponge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, I threw the entire picture into a vat of brown gravy and let it simmer for an hour before taking it out and wiping it off with a dirty sponge.

I'm reminded of a burger commercial in the US where a model lets the burger drip it's juice all down her front, while moaning.

• Like 1

Actually . . . *cough* . . . I'm looking for a volunteer, either man or woman, who would be willing to model for one of these experimental grungy portraits for me. I could just use an alt, but it's more interesting using another person!

Warning: I really am experimenting here. It might not be any good! But it will be somewhat along the lines of portrait above.

• Like 8