How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

43 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Do you have a favorite tattoo store?

Not as such, I very seldom change tattoos as they feel like a large factor in the avi's individual identity, hehe.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:44 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Thank you Emma and Seren!  Free app. let me just add the rain that was undetectable in the viewer.  I did notice the rain system used plus EEP setting made a difference but the app just made it easy peasy!

And.... that app would be????   You can PM it to me if you want.

ETA: Okay, skip that.  Further posts took care of it.  I actually already have PhotoscapeX installed, but haven't taken much time to figure it out yet.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Orwar said:

Creating an overlay like that by hand is very easy (just make a grainy layer and make a directional blur, set it to any of the layer types where only light is added - there's a lot of variants). If you want the rain to have more depth you can have several layers with slightly different directions and intensities, and mask areas based on depth (there should be fewer rain drops in front of the subject 5 metres from the camera than the tree 30 metres away).

You can then use brushes (plenty of brush packs for that sort of thing around out there) to create deflections and impacts of rain drops to make the rain interact with the stuff in the picture, or even add puddles to the ground.

My favourite video on the subject.

Ugh - all of that just sounds like way too much work.  Even when I do take pictures, I want the entire process to be fast.  I'm not really looking to be great at any of it or have it really look like more than it is -- just a casual snapshot.  But if there is supposed to be rain, it is nice to at least be able to get that to show in the picture, with as little extra work as possible.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Orwar said:

Creating an overlay like that by hand is very easy (just make a grainy layer and make a directional blur, set it to any of the layer types where only light is added - there's a lot of variants). If you want the rain to have more depth you can have several layers with slightly different directions and intensities, and mask areas based on depth (there should be fewer rain drops in front of the subject 5 metres from the camera than the tree 30 metres away).

You can then use brushes (plenty of brush packs for that sort of thing around out there) to create deflections and impacts of rain drops to make the rain interact with the stuff in the picture, or even add puddles to the ground.

My favourite video on the subject.

While.i.appreciate your explanation, I've yet to have an ounce of patience to even bother trying GIMP again.  The photoscapeX took one button, one second, done.

I keep telling myself one of.these days I'll make my own alpha.layers but haven't bothered with.that either and.that's really one thing I should take.the time.to learn. 😕

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even when I do take pictures, I want the entire process to be fast.

When I take 'candid' style fashion shots where there's next to no scene setup (just a good sky setting, and maybe a point light or two, snap caught with AO running), I usually go for a very quick suite of editing steps, such as:

• Adjusting contrast, saturation, and exposure (quick slider work)
  • Brushwork to fix minor clipping issues or broken/missing shadows (heal/clone/smudge/blur tools)
  • Running an unsharp mask (sharpening the image)
  • Adjusting temperature (either via slider or by overlaying a toned layer, depending on what effect I want)
  • Quick focus blur (blur with a quick hand-drawn mask with just a handful of gradients)
  • Noise ('film grain', it both helps blend brushwork and break up straight and jagged lines a bit the same way anti-aliasing does)

The whole process can often be ran through in around 5-10 minutes, buuut then I've done it a few times by now. This edit I did just now to try it clocked in at 6 minutes and 4 seconds (in which time I had to boot Gimp and includes exporting time).

Original:
Snapshot-002.png

Edit:
Quickedit.png

I mean I totally could spend an hour or two to create some more visual striking hand-shading, or put some carefully hand-drawn rain in there, but if I just want to quickly answer 'how does your avatar look today?' but still want a little bit of stylistic expression (or a lot - I enjoy the etherical-looking contrast between the dark shadows and sky and the skin glowing as if she's moon-bathing, I know a lot of people don't, but my pic, my taste!), running through Gimp doesn't have to take a lot of time (if I could be bothered to use BDW I could achieve most of the work right in the viewer instead, but that'd take me at least half an hour to set up).

Ooor I can do an equally quick and dirty rain effect via making a few simplex noise layers with directional blurs (with some equally quick and dirty alpha masks to keep the subject from being totally flooded). And make the eyes glow for all the drama!

Quickrain.png

Not art gallery material, perhaps, but a whole lot more visually interesting than the original pic (nothing I'd want to do on all of my pics, though, especially when it's a fashion shot).

Using AI to do this stuff for you is akin to eating frozen, industrially produced lasagna. Keeps you from starving (arguably), but you miss out on the amazing journey that is the cooking process. And you wouldn't serve dinner guests lasagna out of a carton, would you? 

• Like 8