How do blocked, derendered and muted avatars see you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, Phorumities said:

Why do you tip a host just because they said hello?

Yeah, I know this thread is old but still...

In my experience there are two kinds of hosts.  There are those who monitor their host script and send out the canned responses.  They generally get ignored by me.  I'm not tipping a bot.  But some hosts are active and engaged.  They don't used canned lines.  They greet me differently depending on if I'm returning or not or maybe if I'm wearing something interesting.  These are actual humans actually adding to the festive party atmosphere in the club I'm in.  I value that service so I tip it.

Generally I tip hosts in small blocks.  They probably will get 25L from me for a hello.  They might well end up with 500 or 1000L from me by the end of the set.  It all depends on how much I think they have contributed to whatever I wanted at the moment.

54 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

Yeah, I know this thread is old but still...

In my experience there are two kinds of hosts.  There are those who monitor their host script and send out the canned responses.  They generally get ignored by me.  I'm not tipping a bot.  But some hosts are active and engaged.  They don't used canned lines.  They greet me differently depending on if I'm returning or not or maybe if I'm wearing something interesting.  These are actual humans actually adding to the festive party atmosphere in the club I'm in.  I value that service so I tip it.

Generally I tip hosts in small blocks.  They probably will get 25L from me for a hello.  They might well end up with 500 or 1000L from me by the end of the set.  It all depends on how much I think they have contributed to whatever I wanted at the moment.

Wow, I actually had to go back and re-read some posts because I could not for the life of me figure out how those comments could possibly apply to the thread title:
   "How do blocked, derendered and muted avatars see you?"

Sorry if someone has already answered this question already... I have read all the posts here but I may not have understood it correctly so here goes. Is there a way to block someone such that they never see any trace of you, i.e. they don't see you as a dot on any map (mini or radar), they don't see you come up in the public Nearby Chat, and they don't see your av physically should they happen to be at the same place as your are, at the same time?

I ask this because I have thought of blocking someone before, but didn't want them to know I have blocked them, and also didn't want to have to keep my eye out for them and have to avoid certain venues in case they saw me... ?

18 hours ago, Hollie Leavitt said:

Sorry if someone has already answered this question already... I have read all the posts here but I may not have understood it correctly so here goes. Is there a way to block someone such that they never see any trace of you, i.e. they don't see you as a dot on any map (mini or radar), they don't see you come up in the public Nearby Chat, and they don't see your av physically should they happen to be at the same place as your are, at the same time?

I ask this because I have thought of blocking someone before, but didn't want them to know I have blocked them, and also didn't want to have to keep my eye out for them and have to avoid certain venues in case they saw me... ?

Bolded part - NO.  When you block someone, if they are within sight of you then they will see you.  Everyone always sees all dots on the mini-map and full-map - and a radar type detector would show you there. Scripting allows anyone to know if any other person is online or not.

As to the second paragraph - the only way they would know is if they talked to you or offered you inventory or tried to pay you L$ - and expected a reply.  You would not see their chat or IM and they will not know that.  You would not receive any inventory, but you do get any L$ -  however they will not know the status of any of those actions.

IMO, the whole block thing is totally one-sided and should be two-sided.  If I block Joe Blow, then he should not ever see me or be able to even know I exist.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Bolded part - NO.  When you block someone, if they are within sight of you then they will see you.  Everyone always sees all dots on the mini-map and full-map - and a radar type detector would show you there. Scripting allows anyone to know if any other person is online or not.

As to the second paragraph - the only way they would know is if they talked to you or offered you inventory or tried to pay you L$ - and expected a reply.  You would not see their chat or IM and they will not know that.  You would not receive any inventory or any L$ offer but they will also not know that you did not receive it.  

IMO, the whole block thing is totally one-sided and should be two-sided.  If I block Joe Blow, then he should not ever see me or be able to even know I exist.

Totally agree that it should be two-sided... 'cause otherwise, it can get quite awkward!

Thanks for your reply ?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 8:35 PM, AlexandriteGem said:

Good morning.

I am on the latest version of Firestorm, and see gray figures of my blocked avatars. I never see red or green clouds. My question is, how do the avatars I block see me? When I derender them permanently or mute them, how do they see me?  

Thenk you

Is this a trick question? (Sorry...not being facetious, just couldn't resist.)

As others have said, we can de-render, mute, throw imaginary darts at, burn on a stake and otherwise banish someone from our sight, but that's only for our own benefit - they're in no way affected by it and can still see us just fine.

The other thing to consider is that others have the right to not like us for any reason whatsoever (or heck, for no reason at all - they don't need to explain themselves), which means they also have the right to do the same to us.

Ahh, the harsh realities of virtual worlds. I can hear my mother saying, "Play nicely, children".

Edited by AnyaJurelle

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

a technical issue which bleeds into social issues is sharding the view when selectively blocking ourselves from the view of others when in a public space. Example:

3 people who can see each other, who have blocked Joe. A 4th person who is blocked by 1 of the 3 but not the other 2 and who is not blocked by Joe

so Joe can see Four. Four can see Joe, Two and Three. Two and Three can see One, Three and Four. One can see Two and Three

ae social issue is when we are in a public space when this happens.  On our own parcel then we have parcel controls to deal with the private view which is ok as is our land unlike the public space or when on another person's land

on  being on another person's land, say in a club

if we were to block the owner then is it right that the parcel owner can no longer see us ? If this is not right then I suppose that would mean we would be auto-ejected from their parcel, auto self-banning in a sense

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ellestones said:

on  being on another person's land, say in a club

if we were to block the owner then is it right that the parcel owner can no longer see us ? If this is not right then I suppose that would mean we would be auto-ejected from their parcel, auto self-banning in a sense

Hm.. I think if blocking was two-way, then if you have blocked the owner, you would also not be allowed on their parcel... Sort of like on facebook, how if you have blocked someone from seeing your profile, then you wouldn't be able to see their profile as well or be able to search them.

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

a technical issue which bleeds into social issues is sharding the view when selectively blocking ourselves from the view of others when in a public space. Example:

3 people who can see each other, who have blocked Joe. A 4th person who is blocked by 1 of the 3 but not the other 2 and who is not blocked by Joe

so Joe can see Four. Four can see Joe, Two and Three. Two and Three can see One, Three and Four. One can see Two and Three

oh.. and my brain must not be working... I had to draw myself a little diagram to grasp your Joe example... quite embarrassed about that... ?

Edited by Hollie Leavitt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollie Leavitt said:

oh.. and my brain must not be working... I had to draw myself a little diagram to grasp your Joe example... quite embarrassed about that... ?

is the kinda diagram that designers and developers of shared online 3D public spaces draw as well. All the combinatorics involved can do their heads in also. And then the staff responsible for community development get involved and everybody's head gets done it

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bad idea because..griefers could use it?

More like bad idea because it encourages laziness, thin skins and other negative thought processes/attributes.

The current system was put in with the thought that the users were all mature in mind set. A mistake? Perhaps ... 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

...or tried to pay you L$ - You would not receive...any L$ offer...

This part is not correct, Lil.  A blocked avatar can still pay you $L, and you will receive the payment.  If you get money from any undesirable person on your Block list...just smile and go revenge shopping.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This part is not correct, Lil.  A blocked avatar can still pay you $L, and you will receive the payment.  If you get money from any undesirable person on your Block list...just smile and go revenge shopping.

You are correct - I had forgotten that.  I actually tested, a while back, various types of contact from block people using an alt, but had forgotten that you do get the money.  If they put in a message to go with the payment, you won't get the message.

I'll fix my answer above.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 12:59 PM, Solar Legion said:

More like bad idea because it encourages laziness, thin skins and other negative thought processes/attributes.

The current system was put in with the thought that the users were all mature in mind set. A mistake? Perhaps ... 

With that assumption, you wouldn´t need a one-way derendering at all.
The way it is at the moment is neither fish nor fowl.

• Like 1

I find the block function extremely inadequate.

If I don't like someone I can remove them from my world, but I still remain in their world. Not good enough!

I have an outfit I use for MMM which is basically just a 100% alpha. There have been occasions when I've worn it for some reason, often because someone is continually staring at me or I simply don't want them to look at me for extended periods as I find that creepy. But doing that does spoil my SL experience if it goes on too long, in which case I just leave and go somewhere else.

We should be able to hide from others. Perhaps only those we have blocked as it could be misused, I suppose.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:45 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Having you disappear in someone's viewer if you block them is a terrible idea.

Here's just one reason:  If you block someone, and YOU disappear on their screen, they will immediately know that you blocked them.  This invites retaliation.

I could not disagree with your blinkered knee-jerk reaction more.

Just because you fail to see any positives or understand what might be in certain situations doesn't mean none exist.

Think outside of your box a bit more.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.