How do blocked, derendered and muted avatars see you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Nope... I did not block them and we are in the same parcel, a couple meters away. I have done nothing to block or defender them but they have blocked me. I have already noticed that in two different parcels. Inside the same land...

Thanks anyhow...

This probably isnt a block but something else. I had the same thing with an avi standing in front of me the other day. Couldnt see it. I know I wasnt blocked however for the simple reason we were chatting in ims at the time. In my case relogging fixed it and they were then visible

You don't find it odd that your viewer behaves differently for you than it does every other single person that uses it? I can see it not being odd if at least a few more people had/have the same experience...but everyone? (that's not meant to sound condescending)

If I had such a singular problem/issue that *no one* else on the grid had with a viewer I would assume it's one of two things, either;

A-something was hinky with my viewer and I need to do a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall(if a relog doesn't fix it), which doesn't seem too likely, but could theoretically happen

or

B-I am completely wrong and perhaps don't understand what it is I am looking at

I don't see there being any other option, well, not in regards to this particular issue anyway. I'm certain there are plenty of issues(in fact I know there are) that only affect a small number of residents, but I've never run into, found, or even heard of one that ONLY affects one singular resident without it being one of the two options above.

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Sarcasm and nastiness aside, I merely shared an observation. Sorry if it disagrees with everyone else's, or they are wrong.

Be well

Let me therefore put it another way in the nicest possible sense so as not to been seen to offend or seem "sarcastic". Alexandrite, if you have found out a way to tell if someone has blocked you, would you please kindly let the rest of the group know and share it. Failing this, we will otherwise we assume that you are a TROLL, here to promote unnecessary arguments and end any constructive or positive discourse with you. thank you

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if someone has blocked and derendered you. It could be a billion things but it is impossible to tell who has you blocked unless they have either, A.) Told you that you have been blocked or, B.) have the "blocked resident" auto-response on. 

Question, was the avatar you saw on the radar standing in a different parcel? If so, its possible that the parcel they were on has a setting on where you cannot see the avatars on it.  

• Like 1

On 18/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Annika Velde said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if someone has blocked and derendered you. It could be a billion things but it is impossible to tell who has you blocked unless they have either, A.) Told you that you have been blocked or, B.) have the "blocked resident" auto-response on. 

Question, was the avatar you saw on the radar standing in a different parcel? If so, its possible that the parcel they were on has a setting on where you cannot see the avatars on it.  

Yes i agree Anika, i've also found at social events, you could try sending your suspect a "greeting" in nearby chat remembering to use their name. If they appear to be acknowledging everyone else except you, high chances are they have muted you and your local chat along with it. At best they are simply ignoring you which is pretty much the same thing IMHO.

I am assuming also that you are responding to AlexandriteGem's question when you mention the parcel issue, but he/she seemed to think this was not the case here:-

AlexandriteGem:- Quote "Nope... I did not block them and we are in the same parcel, a couple meters away. I have done nothing to block or defender them but they have blocked me. I have already noticed that in two different parcels. Inside the same land...

Thanks anyhow..." Unquote

• 2 months later...

On 6/4/2017 at 1:49 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

It would be very bad if people muted could tell you muted them. It would just make the whole thing a drama magnet.

Not always. There could be situations where you wish the blocked person not see your avatar at all. But I think the solution is to give the person doing the blocking the ability to make that choice, just as some social networks differentiate between muting and actually blocking. While there are people who don't have the IQ points to comprehend such a thing I'm sure (not you, I just mean generally), that can be said for every feature in SL. When people are being creepers and you are in a situation where you must remain on a parcel with them be it for work or residence (or a public dressing room when restart Tuesday boots you off of your home parcel for a spell), that choice can be a nice one to have.

• 4 months later...

I have decided to block all the chat spamming objects and "hosts" with tip jars that I encounter in SL.  It's not only a distraction, it's SL's attempt at behavior modification..for profit.

Welcome Mats, Visitor Counters, Tip Jars, you name it. If it chat spams, I block it.

I also block host people at clubs. They are superfluous. And another dang tip jar to feed. They say hello, I tip them, and they never speak to me after.

They're busy watching their "host apps" and sending canned greetings to new arrivals! why? to get that TIP.  What a racket.  

Trouble is, sometimes there is no "venue tip jar". I'm tired of constantly asking WHERE these things are located, since they aren't similar or even obvious.

I've decided that if they can't put it in a conspicuous spot, readily identifiable as a Venue Tip Jar, I will simply not tip.  My attempt at behavior modification. 

And then there's all that Applause Spam.  Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each other with length and complexity of "their" applause. So I block most people

at clubs too.  IF anyone said something interesting, it scrolls by too fast to read. :(

I've found that if you tip a blocked host/hostess, they become UNblocked.  Another reason to not feed the pig.

Also I tip performers in SL directly, NOT using the tip jar.   

My block list currently 4900+ entries long. I'm gonna see if I can mute 90% of SL.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Just to see what  can happen, I've used debug settings to increase my block list limit

from the default 1.000  to 7.000 , then to 10,000 and now 12,000

Currently I have 10,000+ objects and agents blocked.  

I find that it makes my SL much less like a maze full of treat dispensers and random distractions.

Looking for some hard upper limit, I read a comment in the SL Wiki about a ceiling of "around 10,000" for the maximum number of entries in the block list.

The  individual block lists of all users are stored on the server, not in the client app.

It would be cool to download a copy of my own block list. Maybe there's a local temp file of it. 

There is a noticeable delay in accessing said large block list

On login, in the People>Blocked window I see  (at first)  "0 Blocked".  About a minute later,  my complete list appears.

Teleporting to crowded places takes a bit longer as my browser decides how many of them are to be grayed out (muted / blocked).  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bichin Doobie said:

It would be cool to download a copy of my own block list. Maybe there's a local temp file of it. 

Presuming you are on Windows, C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\[VIEWER NAME]
The file is called [YOUR UUID].cached_mute
Open it with a text editor

25 minutes ago, Bichin Doobie said:

Just to see what  can happen, I've used debug settings to increase my block list limit

from the default 1.000  to 7.000 , then to 10,000 and now 12,000

You're going to break your block list - eventually it will never load at all & LL will have to wipe it out at the server end.

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Wait, isn't that frowned upon?

By whom? The venues?  Do they get a cut of what's in the tip jar's?  I have paid performers and DJs directly before rather than via their tip jar - it never dawned on me that I shouldn't.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

By whom? The venues?  Do they get a cut of what's in the tip jar's?  I have paid performers and DJs directly before rather than via their tip jar - it never dawned on me that I shouldn't.

Years ago when SL performers would charge a huge fee to venue owners to appear at their venue, sometimes the venue owner would make a deal to cut the cost of the fee by agreeing with the performer that they would take a tip percentage. Obviously it was based on the honesty of the performer to give back a share of any direct tips.  Not sure that happens any more but its been years since I had any part in that part of SL. 

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Years ago when SL performers would charge a huge fee to venue owners to appear at their venue, sometimes the venue owner would make a deal to cut the cost of the fee by agreeing with the performer that they would take a tip percentage. Obviously it was based on the honesty of the performer to give back a share of any direct tips.  Not sure that happens any more but its been years since I had any part in that part of SL. 

I suppose it IS frowned upon, because I'm not cooperating with this psychological  money extraction  method.

I do understand that SL runs on money.  I characterize it as "stealing my fun and selling it back to me".

Before, I'd show up at a venue, and IMMEDIATELY get singled out of the crowd--- heaven forbid I should just arrive and blend in .     

ALL I want to do is a) tip the venue

b) tip the artist

c) get the stream url into my media player.  

I observe that once the "host" says hello and I do that knee-jerk tip,  I am never spoken to again until NEXT TIME I arrive.

Before,  after I'd gotten the stream going, I'd leave and come back several times in a row. 

It's pretty obvious when these "hosts" are watching some "host app" or just reading the chat spam of the visitor counter

and responding automatically, often with some canned greeting, a carriage return and my avatar's first name in CAPs . 

And now we are seeing "greeters", avatars who do the "greeting" for the "host"??

I even saw a "performer host"  expecting a tip just for  hanging around near the performer.   

And avatars not working for the venue, arriving with a Host tag above their names.

Too many piggy banks to feed. 

None of the other patrons say anything interesting in local. They try to outdo each other with  applause gestures.

Therefore it seems to me that playing along with the whole business is agreeing to be manipulated for profit.

I do respect the artists, and tip them IF I listen to their stream.   I look for Venue Tip Jars (none look the same or are in a predictable locations!).   

Would we have SL artists performing without venues?  We'll probably never know. It's locked in now. 

Proposal --  Do Away with tip jars.  Let the avatars arrive at a venue, give them 5 minutes to decide if they want to stay and listen.

Then they can pay a "cover charge",  good for a fixed period of time,  or they can't continue listening, and  get returned to their Home location. 

All that can  be automated via LSL script. No need to have "hosts" at all.  

Let the performers  pay some venue worker for getting their stream set up at the venue.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bichin Doobie said:

Proposal --  Do Away with tip jars.  Let the avatars arrive at a venue, give them 5 minutes to decide if they want to stay and listen.

How about no. People goto venues for a lot of reasons and not always to see the performers. If I dont like the performer I don't tip. Example some friends want to go along to a club. The dj plays stuff I don't like. I merely turn them off and listen to my own sounds while hanging with the friends I am there to be with. The venue gains by having a higher pop making it seem popular, I gain from hanging with friends. The performer loses nothing as I wouldn't have stayed under your proposal. All it would do is stop me hanging with friends and mean any venue that implemented it would not be visited and we would instead go to ones who did not implement it of which there would be many unless you are suggesting it should be mandatory for all sims to charge people in which case the answer is doubly no as I would then have to charge my friends for visiting me in my home

9 hours ago, Bichin Doobie said:

I suppose it IS frowned upon, because I'm not cooperating with this psychological  money extraction  method.

I do understand that SL runs on money.  I characterize it as "stealing my fun and selling it back to me".

Before, I'd show up at a venue, and IMMEDIATELY get singled out of the crowd--- heaven forbid I should just arrive and blend in .     

ALL I want to do is a) tip the venue

b) tip the artist

c) get the stream url into my media player.  

I observe that once the "host" says hello and I do that knee-jerk tip,  I am never spoken to again until NEXT TIME I arrive.

Before,  after I'd gotten the stream going, I'd leave and come back several times in a row. 

It's pretty obvious when these "hosts" are watching some "host app" or just reading the chat spam of the visitor counter

and responding automatically, often with some canned greeting, a carriage return and my avatar's first name in CAPs . 

And now we are seeing "greeters", avatars who do the "greeting" for the "host"??

I even saw a "performer host"  expecting a tip just for  hanging around near the performer.   

And avatars not working for the venue, arriving with a Host tag above their names.

Too many piggy banks to feed. 

None of the other patrons say anything interesting in local. They try to outdo each other with  applause gestures.

Therefore it seems to me that playing along with the whole business is agreeing to be manipulated for profit.

I do respect the artists, and tip them IF I listen to their stream.   I look for Venue Tip Jars (none look the same or are in a predictable locations!).   

Would we have SL artists performing without venues?  We'll probably never know. It's locked in now. 

Then they can pay a "cover charge",  good for a fixed period of time,  or they can't continue listening, and  get returned to their Home location. 

All that can  be automated via LSL script. No need to have "hosts" at all.  

Let the performers  pay some venue worker for getting their stream set up at the venue.  

Why do you tip a host just because they said hello?

As for the venue taking a share of tips, thats a common practice in strip clubs.  The clubs provide a place for the stripper to work, and takes a share of the tip to keep the club running.

I tip the DJ if I like the stream and they seem to be interacting with the guests, but that's about all.

16 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Why do you tip a host just because they said hello?

As for the venue taking a share of tips, thats a common practice in strip clubs.  The clubs provide a place for the stripper to work, and takes a share of the tip to keep the club running.

I tip the DJ if I like the stream and they seem to be interacting with the guests, but that's about all.

All right, that covers DJs and their "hosts".  And strip clubs, which I don't visit much any more.  At least you could pay for a decent conversation. xD

I'm more interested in crowded live music venues. Often the performer interacts with the crowd more than the host. 

Yet the performers remind us to  "tip the venue, tip your host".  Meanwhile the "host" is saying "tip your artist".  All roads do a U-turn and head straight back

to the "feed all our piggybanks" M.O. 

Others have told me the same. Don't tip simply because they say hello. 

I suppose in some cases, these "hosts" have agreed the house gets a percentage of their tips.  Which drags me unwillingly into their money extraction process. 

Or they are "working" for tips only.   I keep trying to find the name of the club owner or the land owner so I can tip them directly. Often a futile search. 

Maybe that explains the scarcity of venue tip jars in such venues.  Who would one ask? And could one believe the answer?  It will likely be an answer that supports the

status quo.   

It's none of your business if venue takes a cut or not, host and artists agreed on whatever the situation is (cuts, no cuts, they pay to be allowed to play, they get payed to play - can be all kind of sceanrios - I don't know and I don't care) I cannot see why you are so obsessed with this detail.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.