How do blocked, derendered and muted avatars see you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good morning.

I am on the latest version of Firestorm, and see gray figures of my blocked avatars. I never see red or green clouds. My question is, how do the avatars I block see me? When I derender them permanently or mute them, how do they see me?  

Thenk you

4 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Good morning.

I am on the latest version of Firestorm, and see gray figures of my blocked avatars. I never see red or green clouds. My question is, how do the avatars I block see me? When I derender them permanently or mute them, how do they see me?  

Thenk you

Your muting and derendering of them has no effect on how they see and hear you...

• Like 3

I'm not sure if it still works this way,but it used to be to where you could still see their chat in regular chat if you had someone blocked..

Like if you were in a club and they seen you,they could still say stuff to you in regular chat..

It may not work like that now..It's been years since I had to block someone,so I'm not too sure if things have changed much or not.

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not sure if it still works this way,but it used to be to where you could still see their chat in regular chat if you had someone blocked..

Like if you were in a club and they seen you,they could still say stuff to you in regular chat..

It may not work like that now..It's been years since I had to block someone,so I'm not too sure if things have changed much or not.

Voice and public chat is switched off when you block them. They are rendered as grey jelly babe or particle cloud - depending on your viewer and settings. Or not rendered at all if you additional derender them. You don't see any IM's they may send you but they can send you money and - I've heared - objects too. 

The blocked avatars will see no difference, so they don't know if they are blocked. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an FYI and an update...
On the latest version of Firestorm, the avatar of someone who blocked you is not visible. However, his/her name shows up in the radar, as a green dot.

So if you see someone on the radar and can't see the avi, you know you have been blocked by that person.

That settles it for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

On the latest version of Firestorm, the avatar of someone who blocked you is not visible. However, his/her name shows up in the radar, as a green dot.

So if you see someone on the radar and can't see the avi, you know you have been blocked by that person.

That settles it for me.

This is incorrect. The green dot on Firestorm's radar shows that the avatar is in the same region as you. Nothing more. To demonstrate this, I logged in my main account and my store's inventory and texture mule alt. All of the following screenshots were taken with the current latest version of Firestorm, which is 5.0.1.52150

Image 1: Before muting. From the point of view of the avatar on the right. The green dot on the radar denotes that the avatar on the left is in the same region (see tooltip). The green text denotes that the avatars are within 20m (chat distance) of each other.

sl_muting01.jpg.33f46a731c6652d5c46129c1d5a187f1.jpg

Image 2: After muting/blocking. From the point of view of the avatar on the right. The green dot on the radar denotes that the avatar on the left is in the same region (see tooltip in the first image). The green text denotes that the avatars are within 20m (chat distance) of each other. The italics denote that the avatar on the left is now muted.

sl_muting02.jpg.ac0563f2a5380029af2e36dfc5b41835.jpg

Image 3: After muting/blocking. From the point of view of the avatar on the left (the muted avatar). The green dot on the radar denotes that the avatar on the right is in the same region (see tooltip in the first image). The green text denotes that the avatars are within 20m (chat distance) of each other. The $$ denotes that the avatar on the right has payment info on file. There is nothing else in the radar to show the avatar on the left that he has been muted.

sl_muting03.jpg.91b0e129f749ac8842b086eb0d50ad73.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don't tell *me* what I saw.
Someone blocked me, I did not see his avatar on the screen but his name showed up on the radar. A few meters from me.
Latest version of Firestorm. Call it radar or minimap. Mine looks nothing like that. Period.

Edited by AlexandriteGem

Skell is correct.
If another avatar blocks you, it does not affect how you see their avatar at all.
There is no way to tell if another avatar has blocked you on Firestorm (or any viewer as far as I'm aware) apart from if an avatar has blocked you and they are using Firestorm and they have chosen to enable the autoresponse for blocked avatars then when you IM them you will get an autoresponse telling you that you are blocked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

That settles it for me.

Something to check using Firestorm. World Menu - Show Friends Only. If enabled, anyone not on your friends list will be derendered. To rerender, disable that setting and TP away and back again. 

It's an awesome performance tool in busy venues, but easy to forget it's been enabled. Hopefully a future release will have improvements for this feature. 

• Like 1

In my experience with the block/mute feature, the ones I selected appear as a dark grey dot on the radar and as a ghost or egg om my screen. They haven't blocked you, you show as a green dot on their screen. The Block/mute function does not affect the targeted avi viewer. Whirly and Skell are correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Don't tell *me* what I saw.
Someone blocked me, I did not see his avatar on the screen but his name showed up on the radar. A few meters from me.
Latest version of Firestorm. Call it radar or minimap. Mine looks nothing like that. Period.

And kindly don't talk down to me like that.

Your post said the following:

5 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

That settles it for me.

"Call it radar or minimap". They are two completely different things. You called it "radar" so I checked the Radar. Had you said "Minimap" I would have checked the Minimap.

I have just logged the alt in again and this time I've taken screenshots of the minimap from both points of view.

Image 1: Point of view of the muted avatar. The avatar who muted him is still on his contacts list, so the dot shows up as yellow:

minimap_blocked.jpg.4ec1e101960c98a6fba692e3f0502c27.jpg

Image 2: Point of view of the avatar who has done the blocking. (The aqua background shows that we're both standing on prims that I've created.) The muted avatar is still on his contacts list, hence the dot is yellow:

minimap_blockee.jpg.907bcd9ea37b22025cf3c2b8bda1b546.jpg

Image 3: Point of view of the muted avatar, after the other avatar has removed him from his contacts list. The dot of the avatar who has muted him is now green.

minimap_blocked_after_unfriending.jpg.8784473054727bc7e548fe28e26db4ec.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

That settles it for me.

As you've read by now, that isn't how Firestorm works. It's also a bad test for another reason: If you're in a different parcel than the other person and the parcel is set so that people outside the parcel can't see or chat with people inside the parcel, you'll see a dot on the minimap or person in radar but you won't be able to see them in the viewer. If Firestorm *did* work the way you think it does, there would be all sorts of drama from people thinking they've been blocked when all that's happened is a parcel setting.

Now you see her:

Can_see_into_parcel.thumb.jpg.a93e799b82089c1d80693610de843d46.jpg

Now you don't:

Cannot_see_into_parcel.thumb.jpg.3874162d5e2f9b76f3499ca6c695cf04.jpg

She's only 2.7 meters from me, by the way.

• Like 9

On 02/05/2017 at 3:35 PM, Nova Convair said:

Voice and public chat is switched off when you block them. They are rendered as grey jelly babe or particle cloud - depending on your viewer and settings. Or not rendered at all if you additional derender them. You don't see any IM's they may send you but they can send you money and - I've heared - objects too. 

There is an option to show blocked text. I think it's an icon in the nearby chat window itself.. looks like a chat bubble with a line through it. If that is selected you will see local chat from a muted avatar. Uncheck it to stop seeing their chat.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:07 PM, Skell Dagger said:

Image 2: After muting/blocking. From the point of view of the avatar on the right.

Image 3: After muting/blocking. From the point of view of the avatar on the left (the muted avatar).

Your poor alt. What did he ever do to you to deserve all this blocking abuse. I think you make it up to him with some party time and a SHOPPING!!! trip. :P

It would be very bad if people muted could tell you muted them. It would just make the whole thing a drama magnet.

That said... if you want that drama magnet, in Firestorm you can turn on an auto-chat response to anytime someone you blocked IMs you, you auto-send them the snarky response of your choice, so they know to keep hassling you...

Screen-Shot-2017-06-04-at-11.46.55-AM.png

On the whole option to see / not see people off of your parcel. I wish you could set a one-way option to see out, but not have seeing in. It turns it off both ways - which can be annoying some times.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

• 6 months later...
On 02/05/2017 at 12:11 PM, Klytyna said:

Your muting and derendering of them has no effect on how they see and hear you...

Correct, they will see you normally. I agree also with Ceka's post above insomuch as continuing to see their posts in NBC was a real pain, loophole and completely defeated the object of muting someone (or something ) in the first place. If there have been any improvements to Firestorm, muting Nearby would be at the top of my list. My thanks also goes to Skell in particular for his illustrations above and clearly his time and effort with this subject.

2 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Call me crazy, but I can't see those who block me in Firestorm...

Oh well...

Hello AlexandriteGem and thank you for your post. No you won't be able to tell if they have blocked you - only they can see that. Try getting a friend to IM them, if they respond straight away to your friend, then you send an IM also. If they do not respond to your IM, they are at best simply ignoring you but have probably blocked (or muted) you also. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

Thank you. But by now if I see the green dot in the minimap but not the avatar itself, it is a strong hint that I have been blocked.

That is why all the previous demo photos made no sense to me.

No, you will only "not see" their avatar itself if YOU have done something to them, i.e if YOU  block(mute) them, they will appear as a grey jelly-person with their name-tag still intact and the text "blocked" over their name on the tag. You can completely de-render them by BLACKLISTING, whereupon you will see nothing remaining, no jelly and no name tag. Your symptom however could be a parcel issue as discussed by Parhelion Palou above. Thanks:)

• Like 1

Nope... I did not block them and we are in the same parcel, a couple meters away. I have done nothing to block or defender them but they have blocked me. I have already noticed that in two different parcels. Inside the same land...

Thanks anyhow...

You're welcome, and if by the way, you have found out a way to tell if someone has blocked you, BOTTLE IT,  PATENT IT AND PUT SOME OF IT ON THE MARKETPLACE! thanks in advance!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.