I have no clue how shoes work annymore

Telhma Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After buying several shoes, and several shapes, i gave up, i just have no clue anymore how shoes work. I played second like for like 7 years ago. then the shoes where sitting nice, but right now, i can't get them fit anymore, whatever shoe i try, even with the base on that goes with the shoe, they all look like this

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

feet.jpg

Are you using your old shoes from 7 years ago?  I believe the old masking system using invisiprims is broken.  The new masking system uses alphas to make areas of the body invisible.  There might be a way to update your old shoes,  but it might be fun to just go shopping and find new stuffs.

@Rhonda Huntress you're our resident shoe hound.  Can she update old shoes?

Those are a few steps back in time of what shoes are now. I am guessing that they have old invisaprims? (been a LONG while for those). They were replaced by alpha layers and then later by shoes with mesh feet built in (those would still work for legacy avatars without mesh bodies). 

Many folks now have mesh bodies with mesh feet included and those have different shoes for the different bodies. So a Maitreya body would need shoes made for Maitreya, a Belleza body shoes designed for Belleza etc.

If you plan on keeping your older style body and not investing in mesh feet (Slink is the brand for those and still supported well) then you can look for shoes that have the feet built in OR go for boots which still work (if they are NOT rigged) for everyone. 

Look around in stores that sell older style shoes and you will likely find some gifts to try OR check the marketplace for free shoes. No doubt there are some there still that will work for you.   

You might also look at items in the default avatar folders that come wtih second life now. There are at least some black heels that should work for you, maybe other styles too!

Good luck.

• Like 2

Well that sure explains something.  I discovered this same issue when I recently started logging in more frequently and decided to check out my inventory items' complexity vlaues.  I just figured that over the years, something had 'happened' to those various pairs that made them look like the above picture.  I have others that look fine and I hadn't really paid attention to the different types that they all are.  Luckily, I still have a couple of good solid pumps that use alpha layers - and of course my boots. 

• Like 1

I would highly recommend getting mesh feet somehow, either just the feet or a slink or Maitreya mesh body that of course comes with them. I resisted the switch to mesh, thinking my avi is great, people compliment me all the time, why do I need that? Then I tried it, and then I discovered the shoes that go with mesh feet, and I was like why did I wait so long to do this?

I can't help but feel that selling such old shoes should be a crime....¬¬

But on a more serious note, it really is not many new shoes for system feet. It is just the old ones. I  link to a free set of alpha layers. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avatar-Alpha-Overlays-101311-update/2312783

So, you add these to your avatar. Just click them and "add". Test out and see what works. It should be some layer there that can make only the sole of the foot invisible.

Why add and not wear? Well, the add option is one thing LL did that I like. You can wear multiple layers by using "add". You will have fun with makeup layers now. Add lipstick, eyeliner, eyebrows, freckles.... :D So get used to "add".

Edited by Marianne Little

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Almost never from what I have seen.  There was a set of alphas going around for free and I have tried them with old shoes I wanted to keep.  I was never happy with the results.

I think it is that pack I linked too. It is also other alpha layer packs, free or for a few L.

Can at least start with the free layers. But why want to keep such shoes. *shudder*

I would think that pumps are easier to work with. I would also think that sandals with attached feet is better. Sandals with a strap around the ankle is easier to match to the leg skin, and they hide the worst cankles issue.

Time to go out and treat yourself to new shoes it's a real pain when you have shoes with invisi prims which it looks like you do as it's a broken feature i have lots of shoes myself with invisi's which i think are basically now consigned to gathering dust in my inventory as they are no mod and while they might look ok to me with/without alphas i don't know how bad they'll look to others

If you want to stick with the standard feet there are still stores that will sell you shoes. just look out that they say "Classic Avatar" or don't mention only specific brands of mesh feet or bodies good options to go for are closed toe shoes, trainers (sneakers) and boots that include alphas there is still footwear with sculpted feet but they can be hard to get a perfect skin match with

If you do stick with the classic avi, it is easier if you stick with shoes that have some sort of strap around the ankle, typically that strap is the top of the shoe, and you will match the skin color below it to your actual skin, since you skin and the shoe skin do not touch, slight differences in color are hard to see. There are still a lot of great choices out there.

@Telhma Diesel

If you like shoes then really the best thing to do is to invest in a pair of mesh feet.
Almost nobody thinks the system feet look better in anyway unless you like almost-formless blocks for feet.  Almost all shoes now are made for mesh feet which actually look like feet.

Going down this route will mean you will no longer be able to use your old shoes or your old feet socks for the nails.  However the nails and the appliers to can get for feet are far superior as well.

The most inexpensive option which gives most bang for your buck is to buy the Maitreya Lara High Feet @ L$500.  The next most cost effective way is to buy basically the same thing but from Slink.  These are L$650 per set.

At the cost of just a single pair of shoes, you will find that all modern shoes have a version for Maitreya and Slink feet at the very least.

Most shoes you find are for the High feet but if you encounter shoes that are for Mid or Flat feet, you can buy the feet for those too as separates.

For Slink you can also buy a fat pack of feet for L$2475 but to be honest you can buy the whole Maitreya Lara mesh body that comes with all feet, hands and a mesh body for just a little more L$2750.  This is the most cost effective option if in the end you want to go mesh for the body, hands and feet.

The flip side with that is that any feet you purchase from Slink will not be wasted if you decide to go deeper into mesh later and buy the hands and mesh body from them as they are all sold as separates.

Once you start going mesh you have many options but the the two most prominent vendors are the two I mention here.

Buying just the feet is how I first got on the mesh ladder and was the only mesh I had for a long time.
It cannot be understated how much easier and more fun shoe shopping is with mesh feet.

There is a gotcha though and that is that you will have to find out if your skin comes with appliers for your mesh feet.
If they don't, they may be available to purchase from the place you bought your skin, if they are not then you will have to buy a skin that comes with appliers.  This is necessary because the feet need to be textured to match the skin of your avatar or they will look odd.  You can attempt to colour match with the HUD from either vendor but you will not be as happy with the results.

The worst case scenario is that you have to go shopping for a new skin that comes with appliers for one of the above body systems.
All the major skin vendors are producing these now.

Going to mesh feet will take you from this:

58fc393daa6df_KCShoes_002.thumb.png.d2d305e881d6d26d7c3095449e27aba0.png

To this:

58fc395994ead_KCShoes_001.thumb.png.387eaa9ace2e60181d93365e30a54175.png

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Trying to fix name in @tag
  • Like 4

I second everyone’s suggestion to get mesh feet. You will have to stop using all your old shoes but it is worth it. I have tried making alpha masks for system feet and it is impossible to make a clean invisible line across the bottom of the feet. The system feet have very little pixels assigned and setting just a single pixel invisible can cause a large hole in the foot. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

@Telhma Diesel

The most inexpensive option which gives most bang for your buck is to buy the Maitreya Lara High Feet @ L$500.  The next most cost effective way is to buy basically the same thing but from Slink.  These are L$650 per set.

At the cost of just a single pair of shoes, you will find that all modern shoes have a version for Maitreya and Slink feet at the very least.

Most shoes you find are for the High feet but if you encounter shoes that are for Mid or Flat feet, you can buy the feet for those too as separates.

For Slink you can also buy a fat pack of feet for L$2475 but to be honest you can buy the whole Maitreya Lara mesh body that comes with all feet, hands and a mesh body for just a little more L$2750.  This is the most cost effective option if in the end you want to go mesh for the body, hands and feet.

If your money wont quite stretch to L$500 i was browsing mesh feet on the marketplace with a view to finally getting round to buying some and Similar sell a set of flat, mid & high slink compatible feet https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Similar-Multi-pose-Feet-Slink-compatible/6667756 reviews say they are good for older skins which normally aren't so detailed if you don't want the extra expense of a new skin

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If your money wont quite stretch to L$500 i was browsing mesh feet on the marketplace with a view to finally getting round to buying some and Similar sell a set of flat, mid & high slink compatible feet https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Similar-Multi-pose-Feet-Slink-compatible/6667756 reviews say they are good for older skins which normally aren't so detailed if you don't want the extra expense of a new skin

I agree, I tested them once and they will serve. (I had forgot all about them) :S The skin tinting feels like a step back, but it is better than the default feet.The Similar feet come with the three commonly used Slink feet. It is also Pointe and Kitten, but they are so rarely used. If you really need those two options, you better just get the Slink multipack.

Edited by Marianne Little

Another option is the Tonic; either fine or curvy. For 2100L you get the body, static and bento rigged hands and feet that can be adjusted to flat, med and high and are Slink compatible. There are plenty of clothes for the Tonic with more coming. It's Omega applier compatible out of the box so no extra installers to buy. 

On April 23, 2017 at 1:19 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

58fc395994ead_KCShoes_001.thumb.png.387eaa9ace2e60181d93365e30a54175.png

Seeing these shoes makes me smile, I wore these for my wedding, No one could see them under the dress but I knew they were there.

• Like 3

On 24/04/2017 at 3:27 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

These look really good and I am sure they are a great product but one thing needs to be taken into account when buying feet from other vendors is that whilst their skin colour matching system may be very good, they will never match like skin appliers do.  This means that there will be a visible line between the body and the feet where they match.  This is because colour matching uses a single solid colour to match instead of a texture.  Your skin is usually not one solid colour.

Even though these are Slink compatible, that only means that the shape will fit into the same shoes but it does not mean that they can use the Slink skin appliers.
In fact that it is highly doubtful that Slink would allow another feet vendor to use the Slink appliers.

Unless you buy feet from one of the main supported vendors, you be unlikely to get specific appliers for those feet from any skin makers.
As a mesh product vendor you have to be pretty popular and prominent to get support from skin vendors.
However, the one caveat to that is Omega appliers, if the feet support Omega appliers (sometimes by buying an add-on) then you can  sometimes buy skins that come with Omega appliers to use with them.  Omega mainly make appliers, they don't make mesh body parts (AFAIK) and so their purpose is to work with the mesh body parts of other vendors.
Omega appliers can be used wherever a mesh product advertises they have Omega compatibility.

Removed duplicate word

On 4/23/2017 at 1:19 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

58fc393daa6df_KCShoes_002.thumb.png.d2d305e881d6d26d7c3095449e27aba0.png

omg!! Its been a few years since I looked at system feet. I don't miss those AT ALL! They actually look worse then I remember lmao

Non open toe shoes and boots was my workaround back then until SLINK came along to save us all. Praise all that is holy :x

• Like 3

@Gabriele Graves I ended up trying the Similar's as i use an old skin from a brand no longer in business so no possibility of appliers i did manage to get an as perfect as possible skin match since my skin brand isn't included in the list of bands for which there are preset tailored matches i used the closest matching shade with some finer colour picker adjustments with very close camming and the right size the blend is very good i almost cannot tell when my leg ends and the foot attachment starts

i tried out some dollarbie Slink shoes the actual texturing of the flat feet isn't perfect they look quite good front on even if they are rather bright compared to the ankle upwards which isn't uncommon even with sculpted feet shoes and my leg, side on it does go grey, dark and patchy unless i really wanted to wear the sandals and open toe flat's i'd find myself sticking to flat shoes i already own and ditching the Simi's. On the mid and high feet the colour blend and texture fared much better looked like part of the body than an attachment so for heels i would use the feet

58ff6cf7e6d15_similartest_001.thumb.png.a7cad469b62c31c334f2f03710cf2221.png58ff6d044cc64_similartest_003.thumb.png.b890233cffeee9d1b61de65ae14e19fe.png58ff6cfe42d97_similartest_002.thumb.png.a52a459defc2e87af49be43a73e3b7cc.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

@Gabriele Graves I ended up trying the Similar's as i use an old skin from a brand no longer in business so no possibility of appliers i did manage to get an as perfect as possible skin match since my skin brand isn't included in the list of bands for which there are preset tailored matches i used the closest matching shade with some finer colour picker adjustments with very close camming and the right size the blend is very good i almost cannot tell when my leg ends and the foot attachment starts

i tried out some dollarbie Slink shoes the actual texturing of the flat feet isn't perfect they look quite good front on even if they are rather bright compared to the ankle upwards which isn't uncommon even with sculpted feet shoes and my leg, side on it does go grey, dark and patchy unless i really wanted to wear the sandals and open toe flat's i'd find myself sticking to flat shoes i already own and ditching the Simi's. On the mid and high feet the colour blend and texture fared much better looked like part of the body than an attachment so for heels i would use the feet

58ff6cf7e6d15_similartest_001.thumb.png.a7cad469b62c31c334f2f03710cf2221.png58ff6d044cc64_similartest_003.thumb.png.b890233cffeee9d1b61de65ae14e19fe.png58ff6cfe42d97_similartest_002.thumb.png.a52a459defc2e87af49be43a73e3b7cc.png

That is very good colour matching and I think it probably it comes down to each individual's tolerance for these things.  When I had to use colour matching for my popular brand original skin with the Slink feet at the beginning, even though I used the recommend setting for colour matching, I was not happy with the visible join so it can be very variable.

Paragraph change

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.