Got My Sansar Invite Just Now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't really matter I uninstalled the software because I kept crashing during avatar creation, LL can remove me from their creator beta thank you!,

I did read the tos and stating I had an invite is outside of that!

Edited by Phoebe Avro

NDAs are very standard in the game world.

One of the reasons for NDA during beta periods is that the software is ...beta quality and usually has a lot of unfinished features. If they have a few grumpy people canning the quality of the software in public, with screenshots and all that, then this can have a big impact on marketing, especially for the hype curve.

Keeping the warts, crashes and sheer ugliness secret makes it easier for the marketing team not to have to fight the established "truths" when it comes time to release.

Other arguments for NDA are things like letting competitors know - but usually they already have a plant into the beta group, so it's a bit of a silly reason.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Keeping the warts, crashes and sheer ugliness secret makes it easier for the marketing team not to have to fight the established "truths" when it comes time to release.

Let me fix that for you...

"Keeping the warts, crashes and sheer ugliness secret makes it easier for the Marketing Sith not to have to tell the  "truth" when it comes time to release."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"Keeping the warts, crashes and sheer ugliness secret makes it easier for the Marketing Sith not to have to tell the  "truth" when it comes time to release."

Not agree with this, i understand why the use NDA. And that is not to hide the truth. It's just to finish the software and remove all problems and add functionality before the open it for the public.

Also in beta lot's of things can change and public would get nuts from always changing things.

Besides, many crashes in software depend on the system people use. And beta software have bugs. Yes, secondlife is still crashing for people to.

18 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

Got My Sansar Invite Just Now. just downloaded the 'viewer' not logged in yet.

Nice, shame you crashed.

Now am only curious what hardware you used. If your allowed to say. I expect myself that the graphics card is possible below the GF970 advise for VR.

3 hours ago, *****cat Catnap said:

I think I got one of those ages ago, give or take. Never bothered with it. I don't own any face-mounted-octopi and I like typing on a keyboard rather than voicing... so VR is a bust for me.

You have the wrong idea of sansar, and if all people think like you it's really going to be a VR only platform. Sansar will work with keyboard and mouse to the have told in blogs.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:49 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Other arguments for NDA are things like letting competitors know - but usually they already have a plant into the beta group, so it's a bit of a silly reason.

Except that the competitors in this case are other game engines and accompanying tools. Sansar is nothing more than a game engine with specific limitations, with currency and a marketplace built in. In that regard, their competition is already miles (and years) ahead of Sansar. I'm doubting they have any interest in putting a plant inside the Sansar beta group.

Edited by DartAgain

50 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

May I ask who this competition is?  I would like to check it out.

That will do what Sansar is aiming for specifically, the closest is probably the Hero Engine. It handles a market, currency, the tooling, etc.

Other game engines geared toward independent to pro development that are popular are Unity and Unreal engine. A newcomer to the field is Amazon's Lumberyard, although it's still a bit clunky. There are other toolsets that aren't bad for developing 2D or mobile games.

The differences here are basically that existing game engines assume you're going to control many aspects of your game/architectural visualization/VR/etc. (or experiences as LL likes to call them. As well as what platform you're porting it to, handling your own users and so on. Your end product is your own to implement however you decide.

Sansar's lingo is that they're "democratizing" game development. What this means is that they're basically putting their own game engine into a walled garden by controlling the userbase, the market, the currency and the hosting.

Not that this is a bad thing, if you don't want to deal with your own hosting, distribution, currency, etc. Or if you're not interested in porting to mobile and console.

While Second Life is a virtual world and not a game toolkit, it provides all of these things out of the box, which is great to just build an experience with some prims/mesh, some scripting and you're good to go.

You'll still have to use the same types of tools in Sansar that you'll use in game engine toolkits such as some sort of pre-compiling your "game" and baking lighting and shadows into a final product. You then make it live and so forth. Placement of objects and lights and utilities will be done in some sort of editor just like game engine toolkits. Heavy changes will require rebuilding your project.

Personally I think LL needs to get out of beta no matter how rough it is. It provides less control of your end product than a game engine, but it does give you some things built in that you may not want to deal with at all out of the box

But the people that are going to be drawn to it are going to be familiar with game engines as well, so they need to just spit out what features are done and what features are planned. No need to get all cloak and dagger about it. Bring it into the light and brag about it. We understand works in progress, it's what we all do after all whether you're building a game engine or building an experience, you build, you improve and repeat.

They best not invite me..I couldn't keep my mouth shut about stuff like that..

Secrets with friends I can keep very good..Something like Sansar? Gonna be,blab blab blab blab, like I was a news reporter at a scene of the crime..

Just remember this LL. Don't do it,ever.

The name is Ceka Cianci..don't trust her to keep Sansar secrets..

hehehehe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Yeah.  OK.  So ....nothing in common with SL (or Sansar) other than it runs on a computer..

xD B|

Times like this is when we need LOL buttons instead of just Like.  Otherwise, I have to take the time to quote and then post an LOL

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Yeah.  OK.  So ....nothing in common with SL (or Sansar) other than it runs on a computer..

With SL, nope. With Sansar's goals? I give it 85% commonality. Both are just game engines with the same extra services that yield the same end result to the user.

The only other new platform that's close to what sansar is doing is high fidelity. But the sure both still different. and it's unknown what can be done in sansar. As long the price is good it can be perfect. secondlife is dead expensive useless duck for me. It's more a flat graphical platform where you can do sometimes fun things. Not start the talk about the big list of other secondlife problems, like no HMD support.

and am sure it can be used with blender to. it works in high fidelity. people keep hammering on the picture maya only. wrong.

People that respond negative about the new plstform not get the picture right.

Edited by Richardus Raymaker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.