Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

@Xerxes Kingstop Brit here. It's both, but mainly placement. The Beetle is an anomaly, which I'll get to in a minute, but any Brit who - with a handful of stuff they need to stow - is told to "stick it in the boot" will head unerringly to the back of the car. In the case of the Beetle, if they've never owned one before (or are unfamiliar that it's a rear-engined vehicle) they would still head to the back, while the amused driver popped the boot open and watched their face ;) (If the driver were of the kindly persuasion and took pity on their passenger, they would say something like "Stick it in the boot... which is at the front in this bloody car. I know, I know, don't ask me why. Bloody Germans." etc.)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Xerxes Kingstop said:

Do we have any Brits among us? I believe we do, but I won't call names for fear of looking (even more) foolish.  I have a terminology question for any Brit or well-versed Anglophile who would care to answer.  This is not humor, the question is sincere.

Category: Automotive. I understand that in an ordinary front-engine car the hinged panel covering the engine is called the 'bonnet'.  A Yank such as myself would call this bit the 'hood'.  The hinged panel in back for the storage compartment, referred to as the 'trunk' in the USA, is known as the 'boot' in GB.  My question is: are the terms 'bonnet' and 'boot' indicative of the panel's function or their placement? 

To put it another way, in a rear-engined automobile such as the classic VW Beetle is the front lid called the 'bonnet' because it is in front or the 'boot' because it covers the storage space?

I'm not a Brit, but I was a VW Beetle owner. The front lid is called the "bonnet", the rear lid is called the "boot" and a Beetle Bonnet is something entirely else.

ETA: A VW convertible has two boots, one for the engine (trunk on new models), one for the stowed top.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

On 5/2/2017 at 3:55 PM, Asadora Summers said:

I saw a motorcycle parked in a handicap parking space the other day. I just stood there looking at it for five minutes. 

While visiting the relatives in Virginia, I stopped in with them in one of my favorite Greek family restaurants (sadly it's been 'updated' so it's just a Family Restaurant now).  While eating a pizza I happened to glance outside and spot - a motorcycle parking in the handicap zone . . . taking up four spots.  Handicap spots - he had parked in that . . . um, whatever you call that area with stripes on it - the place where handicap people enter and exit vehicles. In effect the jerk blocked four parking places.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, Maureen Boccaccio said:

So you folks who listen to "live" music in SL (not DJs):  any suggestions?  I've been following a few performers whom I enjoy, but I'm trying to broaden my SL musical horizons.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, Clover Jinx said:

Lexxi usually posts on her profile feed the live music events she goes to. I've been meaning to check out several myself. Maybe a Cartel flash mob is in order.

One of my current favorites is Samm Qendra.  Then there's Grif Bamaisin, and Wolfie Moonshadow and Nance Brody and . . . many many more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xerxes Kingstop said:

Guys remember when the KMADD store was busy 24/7? 

Absolutely. And when they released a new hairstyle it was like a sale at Truth is now; couldn't get in!

@Lexxi Gynoid You might know it now as MADesigns. It mainly sold male shapes, then diversified out into hair, poses, and clothing. IIRC, the guys behind it were also the ones who started Menswear Fashion Week back in, I think, 2012?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Absolutely. And when they released a new hairstyle it was like a sale at Truth is now; couldn't get in!

@Lexxi Gynoid You might know it now as MADesigns. It mainly sold male shapes, then diversified out into hair, poses, and clothing. IIRC, the guys behind it were also the ones who started Menswear Fashion Week back in, I think, 2012?

Thanks - no, do not know them by either name.

It is stuff for the men. Men's hair, man's skins, men's shapes. A little jewelry, a few threads IIRC. That is why I started with "guys".  

I consider myself adaptable linguistically but I'm still kinda subconsciously hung up on the old ways with that particular term in practice.

Moreso the term "Dude". It makes my teeth shiver when I hear two women speaking and one starts a sentence with " Dude, ...."

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop

Oh.  I've seen and heard 'guys' used too often as a 'everyone here regardless of gender' type of word that I forgot it might not always be used that way.  

Let's see what randomly looking at Google tells me.  ... um, hmm, now how to create a blockquote in this forum. hmm.  

"Guys" can be used in English as gender neutral to refer to a group of mixed gender. You will even hear women refer to other women as "guys." The closest linguistic equivalent with a feminine tilt would be "gals". "Guys and gals" is a rather informal variant of "ladies and gentlemen".

That annoys me.  The last line should be 'Guys and gals' is a rather informal variant of 'gentlemen and ladies'.  Unless Guys is supposed to correspond to ladies and gals with gentlemen. 

Edited by Lexxi Gynoid
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lexxi Gynoid said:

The last line should be 'Guys and gals' is a rather informal variant of 'gentlemen and ladies'.  Unless Guys is supposed to correspond to ladies and gals with gentlemen. 

Agreed, but they're just quoting the vernacular in each case and considering the three words together to be a single term connoting 'everyone'.

and yeah with a little thought I can easily see how the term is commonly used as a gender-neutral way to address a group, but at the time I was thinking of a Mens' store and ... well y'all can read my mind, right? :)

Rhetorical question. 

• Like 1

I am concerned about your math....

There are 52 Mondays each year (ish)

times three years (52x3)

156 Mondays

plus 30 for the partial year

186 Mondays

minus four per year for holidays (12)

174 Mondays....

Edited by Maureen Boccaccio