Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

56 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

What’s your worst example of procrastination?

What is the most destructive emotion?   

Here is a handy list of emotions if you need help weighing your choices.  However it leaves out my personal choice: Apathy.  But then that may be more corrosive than destructive.

Bonus points awarded for most constructive emotion, too.

If you're incompetent, apathy might be protective, not corrosive.

Stupid isn't an emotion, it's what emotions can make us.

I think the most constructive "emotion" isn't in that list. It's gratitude. And so maybe the most destructive is satisfaction?

I'd go on, but I've got to get back to some remodeling that my grandfather started in 1939 and passed to Dad in 1951. Dad passed it to me in 2003. Procrastination is tradition in the McMaster family, and I'm grateful for that. It's nice to always have something to do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

For me this means telling my RL friends and family I want SL virtual goods for my birthday. :ph34r:

How about asking for virtual things but not telling them you mean virtual. "Oh I would like diamond earrings"

then "Oh you got me real diamonds, you shouldn't have, but now that they are here I might as well use them."

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 9:57 PM, Xerxes Kingstop said:

I don't mind if a driver accelerates gently from a traffic light, but what tees me off is drivers who go camping in the fast lane at something less than the legal limit and feel no social duty to merge right when they can.  

Worse: when they're slow in the left lane (like they're enjoying that slow truck so much they wanna cuddle with it) then when they eventually merge right they speed up.  Grrrrrrr. 

I guess that second example goes under the heading of what I call 'baby duck drivers': drivers so incapable of independent thought that they can't choose how fast to go so they just match the speed of whatever they're staring at.  

I call drivers who do - at most - the speed limit in the left lane 'policy setters".  grrrrr

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 0:20 AM, sweetgem Clemenceau said:

Note to myself: Never visit Heidelberg again on a weekend.

Yesterday, I was there with my Mom - and to say the Altstadt ("Old Town") was crowded is an understatement. No matter where we went, there was a crowd of tourists from all countries of the world. o.O

The Hauptstrasse is CRAZY on the weekends!!!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 7:39 AM, Xerxes Kingstop said:

Which brings me to a thought - and I'd like to be the one to pose the (semi) random question of the day: 

How many of us are CPR trained/certified?  

For me it is a professional requirement. 

I am CPR trained/certified  Also trained to use an AED. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

I am CPR trained/certified  Also trained to use an AED. :)

Were you trained to cook with the AED? Lunch meats are about as conductive as people and read as flat-line, so the AED safety algorithms will allow you to pull the trigger. Somewhere in the world, there are probably still a few defibrillators containing a line of code somewhat like...

if(rhythm  == ASYSTOLE && button == PUSHED) state = FIRE; // we've detected either a stopped heart or a slice of pastrami and the operator says go, so GO!

We actually did defibrillate slices of lunch meat during prototype testing.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

So ... while looking on Google for thinking up the next Random Asked Question I found this:

What’s your worst example of procrastination?

The obvious answer would be to wait 7 years and pull this up the day before the NEXT forum software update and I just don't have that much patience ....
I think I'll pass on that and ask
(drum-roll)

What is the most destructive emotion?   

Here is a handy list of emotions if you need help weighing your choices.  However it leaves out my personal choice: Apathy.  But then that may be more corrosive than destructive.

Bonus points awarded for most constructive emotion, too.

While I freely admit I did not carefully peruse your handy list of emotions, for me (and being massively selfish I tend to be way more involved in stuff if I relate it to me personally) 'Worthless' would be the most destructive, by far. I'll get more 'other-people-involved' with my Most Constructive: 'Loving". I actually would have preferred 'love' but it wasn't on offer. Much as I've always cringed at the  Burt Bacharach song done by Jackie Deshannon, the message in the title will never be wrong. All we can get.

I've never learned (although I've read up on) the real techniques of CPR. I learned the lifesaving skills way back in the dawn age. Before I learned to French kiss. Don't EVEN ask me why I mentioned that; mighta had something to do with mouth-to-mouth. Ya think?

/me settles down.

And a Happy Birthday to You, Rhonda. :-)

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Somewhere in the world, there are probably still a few defibrillators containing a line of code somewhat like...

if(rhythm  == ASYSTOLE && button == PUSHED) state = FIRE; // we've detected either a stopped heart or a slice of pastrami and the operator says go, so GO!

We actually did defibrillate slices of lunch meat during prototype testing.

I live in sight of the Mexican border now but I grew up near Utica New York where the Italian food is so fresh that a pastrami would have returned "No shock advised". 

It is a nostalgic joy for me when I occasionally encounter an old fashioned Italian Mama or Papa as a patient.  If I am dealing with a good Italian Mama and she seems downhearted it usually turns out to be great therapy to get her talking about food.  Recently I asked a patient "Mrs _____, since I came to Arizona I can't find good Italian food. Some of it is OK, but it's not like home, yano?  I'd about die for a real gnocchi. Do you know anyplace around here I can get a good gnocchi?" 

I could have mouthed the words of her reply right along with her. "You want gnocchi? YOU come to MY house!" :D

I have no doubt the invitation was sincere. 

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Xerxes Kingstop said:

"You want gnocchi? YOU come to MY house!"

Or mine.

I love your beside manner, Xerxes.

I also love gnocchi. I'm usually too lazy to make it from scratch, but sometimes I do, from potato dumpling mix. Mom used Aunt Julia's...

590805603c942_DumplingMix.thumb.jpg.24e2bb0ba8ab86a747b30433ac79f659.jpg

The image on that box drove me nuts. Why was the doofus in the lower right looking into the camera?

It took a few years, but I eventually learned I was the doofus (a daily lesson for me, it seems).

Here's Norman Rockwell's famous "Freedom from Want"...

Norman-Rockwell-Freedom-from-Want-1943.jpg

One of these days I'll work out the proper proportion of mashed potato flakes and flour to make dumpling mix from scratch. Ain't no way I'm taking the time to cook and mash real spuds, even if I am half Irish.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

590805603c942_DumplingMix.thumb.jpg.24e2bb0ba8ab86a747b30433ac79f659.jpg

The image on that box drove me nuts. Why was the doofus in the lower right looking into the camera?

We, the other doofi of the world, salute you. 

Doofus there looks pasted in as an afterthought - like the marketing dept. presented the first draft and Aunt Julia said "Somebody's missing. Go check Rockwell again." so they trimmed doofus out of another photo with scissors and Scotch Taped him on. 

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Here is a different "list" of emotions.  With related emotions (the petals) stronger feelings are towards the center.

Capture.JPG.9cf155a214904389a067f07d0ec15864.JPG

I wonder where jealousy would fit in.

Maybe it's not very complete either.

The thing with emotions is that any of these can be positive or negative depending on the context.  Love, awe, and ecstasy  can be destructive in some circumstances.   Rage, fear, and disgust can keep you alive. 

I don't have a favorite color or food either.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Asadora Summers said:

I saw a motorcycle parked in a handicap parking space the other day. I just stood there looking at it for five minutes. 

In the last season or so of "House, MD" Dr. Gregory House rode a motorcycle with a cane..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Here is a different "list" of emotions.  With related emotions (the petals) stronger feelings are towards the center.

Capture.JPG.9cf155a214904389a067f07d0ec15864.JPG

I can't wait to try "rage s*x"! I hope it is better than "terror s*x".

Edited by Love Zhaoying