Curiosity: Do you opt to show or hide other's Display Name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Zazaaji wrote:

Just curious what the majority generally tend to do.

Personally I have them set to show like this: Display Name (Username)

That's how I have it set as well.  I believe that's the default, at least in the viewer I use (Firestorm).  I have both enabled simply because both impart useful information.  I want to know what an avatar's user name is because that is what makes them truly unique within the SL system.

Because anyone can set their display name to anything, we've not the ability to perceive their unique identity by acknowledging display names alone.  Nevertheless, they are a useful indication of how an individual wishes their avatar to be addressed.  I believe addressing others as they choose to be addressed is the very minimum amount of respect which they deserve.

One thing I do though, which is probably different than most, is set my viewer so that the hovering names don't show at all inworld.  I started doing that years ago because my old video card had a horrible time rendering them in places with lots of avatars and would cause my viewer to lag, sometimes to the point of crashing.

After I updated my card, I saw no point in turning them back on... because I liked not knowing who everyone was at first glance.  It just seemed more realistic to me.  And besides, I also had it set so that I could get the same information on a one-avatar-at-a-time basis by hovering my cursor over them.

...Dres

Like Ren my viewer is set to show display names only, and the nametags are also set to hide themselves after a few seconds. This is mostly because I recognise people by sight, and I wear something that highlights familiar and friendly faces. Seeing the nametag is only useful for seeing group titles.

I find the names would otherwise clutter my screen with relatively useless information that bounces around as people move. If I'm paying someone and unsure, I'll often check the profile of the person I'm paying, but other than this I don't consider there to be any additional risks.

Dresden wrote:

One thing I do though, which is probably different than most, is set my viewer so that the hovering names don't show at all inworld.  I started doing that years ago because my old video card had a horrible time rendering them in places with lots of avatars and would cause my viewer to lag, sometimes to the point of crashing.

...Dres

/me runs off to see how much difference this makes...

(I don't disbelieve you, but different set-ups give different results, enquiring minds etc.)

I went to the busiest spot I could find, but it didn't seem to make any difference to me. 24 avatars in view and I got around 20fps regardless once the scene settled down. Different set-up, different result.

It did make me think about how I look at SL, and how I take all that hovering text as normal. Most of the time there really is no need for it, so for a while I'm going to try having it only show briefly. Sometimes my SL needs a little shake-up. If I want see who someone really* is, I can always use the hover-tip which gives me display name and user name.

As a side note the the thread in general, the people I hang out with occasionally change their avatars so completely that recognising them by sight isn't always an option. A couple of regulars at our club change appearance, names and roles so often that I forget who is who on a regular basis.

*for sufficiently small values of real.

Kelli May wrote:

It did make me think about how I look at SL, and how I take all that hovering text as normal.

I made the change to "show temporarily" a couple of years ago and it's been great. I read so much less useless text - my eyes are prone to jumping toward anything that 'pops up'.

Would highly recommend it if you live/play SL in an information-rich environment. If you need group titles though, it can mean swinging your camera about a bit to get the text to re-show.

I think you might be surprised how recognisable people are - even though looks and avatars change, most people keep a couple of pieces of commonality (e.g., a friend of mine always has blue/green heterochromia iridum) - and failing everything else, you can always hover the mouse over them to identify. :)

Syo Emerald wrote:

I have both showing.

However, I refuse to use someones displayname when its either ridiculous, offensive or written in stupid fonts.

Pretty much this.  I still have it on the default and like it because I can't always tell what the weird symbols are supposed to be.

I show both.

I've found there's something even more annoying than display names crafted from indecipherable curlicue fonts:

Display names that are error messages.

My Friends list includes several who currently use "(Loading...)" as their display names, and one with another error message. I'm sure they think it's terribly clever and attention-getting -- and it is, I guess, but it certainly precludes my using Display Names as actual identifiers.

Kelli May wrote:

/me runs off to see how much difference this makes...

(I don't disbelieve you, but different set-ups give different results, enquiring minds etc.)

I went to the busiest spot I could find, but it didn't seem to make any difference to me. 24 avatars in view and I got around 20fps regardless once the scene settled down. Different set-up, different result.

You probably have a much better graphics card than I did at the time.  I'm sure the one I've got now can easily handle rendering them, but I'd gotten used to not seeing them so I just left it that way.

...Dres

I believe I have everything on now because I changed my viewer recently and didn't really play much since then. But I like changes so as soon as I get used to one option I change it just so I can look at something new ;)

few times I walked around vith RLV on wearing a blindfold and a gag, well thats an experience!

seanabrady wrote:

Display names only. It's time for user names to become the way that LL refers to its customers accounts and Display Names become the way residents refer to each other. I would be happy tobaee the option to see user names be gone for good

Have fun in a world full of impersonating, griefing and total confusion.

I show Display name (username).  When I DJ'ed, I greeted everyone who entered the club by their display name unless it was indecipherable (use of cute circles around each character, backwards/upside down characters, etc).  In those times, I would read their username. 

I agree that each should look at names (or not) as they see fit.

I have display name then user name set. I'll call people by their display name unless I just can't read the font or they have weird characters. As an admin in an RP sim, for our reports we have to use the user name to keep track of them since display can be changed but user can't. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.