TOS and passing logs

Maelthras

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question about the tos and the ability for others to pass and capture logs. It is against TOS for someone to transfer private IM logs without consent, say if they go into the logs folder and pass the logs through a secondary chat such as skype or email?

Maelthras wrote:

But the private logs are LL content and created by the viewer and so should falling under the application tos, so you are saying as long as they don't pass them in LL they can do whatever they want with my logs?

It may technically be a violation of the TOS.

I've never heard anyone try to say that the Logs are LL Content.  That would be an interesting take on it.

The problem still would be PROOVING who did the violating.

Once the logs are on your computer, they are no longer on "ll property" as it were.

In fact the files created when one saves chatlogs aren't saved in the viewer, they are saved on your pc. This is why you can access them without even being logged into sl at all. They are not content of the viewer, they are created by your pc.

You cannot share logs within sl, or on "ll property" as that is a direct TOS violation. Outside of that, ll has(and desires) absolutely no control. So passing them via email, skype, whatever else have you, is not a TOS violation. Whether or not it's "ethical" or "right" is always up for debate and personal interpretation, of course, but there is nothing ll can or even will do about it.

It's always wise to watch what you say and who you decide to say it to, if you're not willing to let the whole world know.  That is not to say everyone, or even most, will share your conversations or thoughts you might believe to be private....but the possibility always exists. Once your thoughts have left your head, you have little(ok, no) control over what others will do with them. That goes for far more places than just sl though :)

eta:fixed a typo :P

when I used to run my AI chatbot, I would log his chats to my blog.  because people can be islly with ai's at times.   so once it's outside LL's Domain (aka their property) then you can do what you want with it and not much can be said.   moral and ethical though. thats anothe dilima

Maelthras wrote:

But the private logs are LL content and created by the viewer and so should falling under the application tos, so you are saying as long as they don't pass them in LL they can do whatever they want with my logs?

Exactly.   LL say this, in terms, at Linden Lab Official:Residents' privacy rights:

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE:
This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Maelthras wrote:

Exactly.   LL say this, in terms, at 
:

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE:
This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or
printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world"
-- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

Yep, it's perfectly legit...

Dillon insults Maddy.jpg

;-)

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Maelthras wrote:

:

NOTE:
This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or
-- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

Dillon insults Maddy.jpg

;-)

This has clearly been faked.

Dillon would have said "HUGE," not "BIG."

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Maelthras wrote:

:

NOTE:

Dillon insults Maddy.jpg

;-)

OMG Maddy!  So funny!

Peace!

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Maelthras wrote:

:

NOTE:

Dillon insults Maddy.jpg

;-)

That remark was taken out of context.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who might have been offended.*

[seems like there are two or three more that usually get dropped in these cases but those are the only two I can remember right now]

*That's one of my favorites. "I'd like to." I WON'T, but I'd like to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.