Dear Linden Labs...what are you doing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I agree that when Phil gave up on SL....(and puhlease......that is exactly what he did!)...the writing was on the wall.

Humble is a disaster.......I reckon even he and his accountant are struggling to reckon why he has not been sacked! lol

The whole LL management and mindset is what is wrong with SL at present.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Hey, guess what? it is called being a 'customer'. That is c  u s t o m e r....look it up. It just might help you some with the way the world, let alone SL, is run.

i did look it up just for kicks and almost spit out my drink  i laughed so hard..the definition just worded the way it is i thought was just funny..hehehe

it came of sounding like deal with it!! lol

cus·tom·er

a person or thing of a specified kind that one has to deal with

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Yes, I agree that when Phil gave up on SL....(and puhlease......that is exactly what he did!)...the writing was on the wall.

Humble is a disaster.......I reckon even he and his accountant are struggling to reckon why he has not been sacked! lol

The whole LL management and mindset is what is wrong with SL at present.

i have a thread around here somewhere of what he is working on now..it's pretty awesome ithink..and i hope he gets it working =)

it's soo cool =)

let me see if i can find this link hehehe

Found it =)

After Second Life, Can Virtual Worlds Get a Reboot?

corporate sellout i feel gets over used..

i never really thought about it too hard until i seen this documentary on punk bands..

the lead singer for Penny wise was going on about how being in the middle of the road is a hard place to be for a band..

you have to make a living ..but at the same time you have to watch out for fans in a pair of nikes eating at Mcdnalds  in ambercrombies talking about what a sell out we are if we take a dime..

hehehe

After reading all, and i mean all, of the posts in this train wreck of a thread i get to be the first person to inform you...

SECONDLIFE IS NOT A GAME!

I mean jeez.... If you can't see the difference between SL ad Wow, Assassins Creed, CoD or any other actual game... you need serious help.

Don't want to pay $300 USD for a sim... Don't.

Sick of the Lag? Get a better system. or turn down your graphics a bit. Im running a gtx 650 at high with almost zero lag in most sims.

Can i get some of that popcorn Dres? i have pepsi and jack...

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

LL is in it for the money. Nothing else.

Congrats. You've figured out why corporations exist! You win a cookie!

Yes, I was wondering if that was supposed to be a BAD THING, a company that exists to make money.  (I think that companies whose primary purpose is not to generate profit, cease to exist.)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

After reading all, and i mean all, of the posts in this train wreck of a thread i get to be the first person to inform you...

I
mean jeez.... If you can't see the difference between SL ad Wow, Assassins Creed,
CoD or any other actual game... you need serious help.

Sick of the Lag? Get a better system. or turn down your graphics a bit. Im running a gtx 650 at high with almost zero lag in most sims.

Jack?  Jack Daniels?

Either drink it straight up or on the rocks. 

But mixing it with Pepsi is a bannable offense!

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I
mean jeez.... If you can't see the difference between SL ad Wow, Assassins Creed,

It's a little late, but sure... 

popcorn1.jpg

...Dres

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I

Jack?  Jack Daniels?

Either drink it straight up or on the rocks. 

But mixing it with Pepsi is a bannable offense!

I didn't say i was mixing it, just that i had both..

I was going to reply but after reading all the responses I decided not to reply at all. So this isn't happening.

Because the OP said a couple of times that he/she would no longer respond (yet did so) I believe that means the thread rules allow me to post and deny I'm posting at the same time.

Just a bit of a snippet from some of  your comments, Jandid. "As i said, im done. Not a single person has aknowledged the fact that linden labs makes more money than most modern day mmos. They are making more money than games with millions of people playing. I still cant believe I was told the reasons regions are $300 is for salaries and benefits lol they make more than enough money for that lol."

You know this how? Linden Lab (actually Linden Research is I believe the name of the parent company) is privately held. Is there someplace I can go online to see exactly how much they make/spend? How much they make from this or that and how much they spend on this or that? Are you a stockholder? On the board? How exactly did you learn about LL's income?

Oh, and I'd gotten through a lot of pages wondering why nobody had thrown in a 'game' correction so my initial idea for a non-reply was to make that comment. Drake took care of that.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I was going to reply but after reading all the responses I decided not to reply at all. So this isn't happening.

Because the OP said a couple of times that he/she would no longer respond (yet did so) I believe that means the thread rules allow me to post and deny I'm posting at the same time.

Just a bit of a snippet from some of  your comments, Jandid. "As i said, im done.
Not a single person has aknowledged the fact that linden labs makes more money than most modern day mmos
. They are making more money than games with millions of people playing. I still cant believe I was told the reasons regions are $300 is for salaries and benefits lol they make more than enough money for that lol."

You know this how? Linden Lab (actually Linden Research is I believe the name of the parent company) is privately held. Is there someplace I can go online to see exactly how much they make/spend? How much they make from this or that and how much they spend on this or that? Are you a stockholder? On the board? How exactly did you learn about LL's income?

Oh, and I'd gotten through a lot of pages wondering why nobody had thrown in a 'game' correction so my initial idea for a non-reply was to make that comment. Drake took care of that.

Since I didn't quote at all the post you didn't make at all, I'll not reply at all.

I've read that around 2010/11, LL's revenues were estimated to be about $75 million/yr. Some time ago I did a napkin calculation that put it around $60 million now (20K sims @ $250/mo), and I expect it's still declining. Activision, purveyors of World of Warcraft and Call of Duty, anticipates $4.31 billion in revenue for FY 2013.

The free-to-play MMOs coming out of asia caught all the big western companies napping. Money was made through micro-transactions and not subscriptions. The free to play aspect brought in the much needed player base that makes an MMO feel like an MMO and not just you and a bunch of bots.

When you think about it, SL is free to play because you can start playing just by downloading the client. We totally have the micro-transactions too. You can buy things on the marketplace or rent some land without having to pay a subscription. But, if you want to subscribe that's also available... and you can get...uhm... land. Honestly, LL needs to work on making it super easy to toss money into SL. Like buying game tokens at an arcade you put some quarters in and get some lindens. It should be that easy.

LL should toss out subscribing for land and put out their own rental boxes on parcels. It should be really cheap too. Cheap = grows userbase. They'll make more money off the micro-transactions. But they need to make it easy to buy linden dollars!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I've read that around 2010/11, LL's revenues were estimated to be about $75 million/yr. Some time ago I did a napkin calculation that put it around $60 million now (20K sims @ $250/mo), and I expect it's still declining. Activision, purveyors of World of Warcraft and Call of Duty, anticipates $4.31 billion in revenue for FY 2013.

Good estimate. According to Tyche Shepherd:

• Monthly Tier Estimates - Private Estates c.US$3.975 Million, Mainland c.US$0.871 Million

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

This game is incredible, the only place I truely can get away from the real world and just relax.

And that is why SL is just about the best entertainment bargain around. IMO. Compare the cost of dinner and a movie, and for me and many others, the bigger bang per buck is Second Life. 

It's 2013 A.D. if I'm correctly informed. Do we really have to discuss a silly n00bish complaint over 8 pages? The OP showed his ignorance very clearly right away.

Linden Labs? No man it's Linden Research, aka Linden Lab. There are no labs.

Game? No, it's a virtual world! A platform, a user-generated creative space. Not even the newest n00bs of the facetwit generation get away with the definition of SL as a game.

1000 sims? Sure. And LL's headquarter is 3 nerds fiddling with a handful of hand-me-down servers in daddy's garage, and they're making a killing from it.

Other "games" are so much better? Sure. That's why they all fold after a year or so. Anyone remembers Blue Mars? Ya, that was really great in parts but a stillborn baby already from the initial idea. And it was the only VW considered a serious competition for SL. Where is it now?

4 years in SL? And you haven't noticed any updates in all that time? You never noticed the many grey sims in worldmap on tuesdays and wednesdays, never noticed the introduction of shadows, SSA, pathfinding, materials, mesh, voice, windlight???

Shills? Yes yes, we all love the Lindens to pieces! Mhm, honest; Rod take me now, I wanna be the mother of your children. :smileytongue:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

But was LL ever supposed to BE a corporate sell out? Hmmm?

No cookies for you, sunshine.

This is without doubt the silliest thing I've seen posted here.  You can only be a corporate sellout if you are a person or group (not a corporation) that sells something such as music or art created for its own sake for commercial use to a corporation or compromises their principles in working for a corporation only to make money  Corporations can't be corporate sellouts.

LL is a corporation NOT a non profit charity, despite what you think they are or should be.  They exist to make money on the commercial market.  When they cease to make the amount of return they want on SL, they will shut down SL.  You can sing kumbaya all you want too but it doesn't change this fact.

No cookies for you either!

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

...the forums are infested with LL shills and apologists....

No one that has posted a reply here is a shill or apologist.  I suggest you read some of their past posts because you will find that they do complain when the complaint is valid and no one is apologizing for LL. However when people come along like the OP and you and post things that have no basis in reality or are based on incorrect assumptions you will get called on it.  People like you say this kind of thing when you are proven wrong or don't like someone's opinion because they disagree with you. 

Be that as it may, I'd rather be called a shill or apologist if that means knowing the difference between reality and a fairytale.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.