We log all your private messages, and we will use them against you, in real life.

khonsuu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So Linden Labs not only logs all your private correspondance in-world,  they also reserve the right to chase you down in the real world, and use those logs against your real person in your real life.  How do I know this?  Because they say it explicitly in the Privacy Policy and the Terms Of Service,  both of which can be found in the black bar at the bottom of the page you are viewing right now. 

The relevant sections you may have overlooked,

http://lindenlab.com/privacy
Section 1.

_Types of Information We Collect_ Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information.

Translation: "We log everything you type into Second Life. Even 1-to-1 private messages. We are watching all the time."

http://lindenlab.com/tos
6.3.(viii)

You understand and agree that we may report any and all such incidents -- and any and all of your corresponding personal information -- to any authorities we deem appropriate, whether or not it in and of itself violates the law of your (or any) jurisdiction.

Translation: "In addition to banning your account, we will chase you down in real life and make sure you suffer there too. Remember all those private chat logs we stored from earlier? Yeah, we will use those against you."

Is this a threat?  Why yes. I do beleive it is a threat.  I wholey respect and completley appreciate Linden's decision to remove someone permanently from their service. By all means, use whatever corporate decisions you deem necessary to ban a person grid-wide and lock out their entire account on the website. Such  actions do not bother me an iota.  That behavior wouldn't move a hair on my head.  I'd forget about it 20 minutes later.  However, to chase someone down in real life? No. I think that's different. I think that crosses a line. 

Your thoughts?

you left off part of those..

1.    Types of Information We Collect

We collect two basic types of information – personal information and anonymous information – and we may use personal and anonymous information to create a third type of information, aggregate information. Personal Information  means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s first and last name, postal address, e-mail address and/or telephone number. Anonymous Information means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual (including an individual’s computing device). Aggregate Information means information about groups or categories of individuals which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual. We may share Aggregate and Anonymous Information with other parties without restriction.

We collect the following categories of information:

• Registration information you provide when you create an account, which may include your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, e-mail address, username and password.
  • Transaction information you provide when you request information or purchase a product or service from us, whether on our sites or through our applications, including your postal address, telephone number and payment information. If you conduct transactions (for instance, on Second Life’s LindeX), we may collect and retain some or all of the information related to these transactions, including transaction amount(s), parties involved, time and manner of exchange, and other transaction circumstances. 
  • Information you provide in public forums on our Service. Please note that our sites and applications may offer chat, forums, community environments (including multiplayer gameplay) or other tools that do not have a restricted audience. If you provide Personal Information when you use any of these features, that Personal Information may be publicly posted and otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by us or by a third party. We have no obligation to keep private personally identifiable information that you have made available to other users or the public using these functions. To request removal of your Personal Information from a public forum on one of our sites or applications, please contact Customer Support.
  • Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information.
  • Information you provide to us when you use our sites and applications, our applications on third-party sites or platforms (such as social networking sites), or link your profile from a third-party site or platform to your registered account.
  • Location information when you visit our sites or use our applications, including location information either provided by a mobile device interacting with one of our sites or applications, or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information. 
  • Usage, viewing and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open e-mails that we send.

Additionally there are a few special circumstances to note:

• Intellectual Property Claim Notices: If you notify us of an intellectual property claim, the information in your claim notice may be shared with other parties to the disagreement or third parties in our discretion and as required by law.
  • Beta Service User: If you volunteer to serve as a beta participant for our pre-commercial content, we may track bug reports and individual system performance in an effort to test our technology rigorously before it is deployed. 
  • Former Customer: If you discontinue your use of our Service, we may keep your registration file in our database for use in the event that you elect to renew your use of our Service, as well as for anti-fraud and other such protective measures. 
  • Job Postings or Unsolicited Communications:  Please note that information we receive in reference to a job posting or by unsolicited communications does not fall within the terms outlined in this Privacy Policy, however information from your resume will be used solely for the purpose of evaluating your candidacy for employment.

6.3 Additional rules of conduct apply to users of Second Life:

In addition to the rules set forth in Sections 6.1 and 6.2 above, you agree that you will not:
 (i) Use robots or other automated means to increase traffic to any Virtual Land;

(ii) Operate or profit from a "game of chance". For more information please see our Gambling Policy;

(iii) Operate or profit from a virtual "bank" In Second Life. For more information please see our Banking Policy

(iv) Post, display or transmit any Content that is explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity ratings, except as set forth in those ratings.

(v) Violate our Second Life Mainland Policies, each of which is incorporated into this Agreement; 

(vi) Violate our Maturity Guidelines. A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity; 

(vii) If you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service, or stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service, or attempt to contact or meet with such minor outside the Service, including without limitation electronically or physically, if you have reason to know or Second Life concludes that you should have known you were interacting with a minor on the Service, or otherwise engage in any conduct that violates our Teen Safety Guidelines; or

(viii) Post, display or transmit any material, object or text that encourages, represents, or facilitates sexual "age play," i.e., using child-like avatars in a sexualized manner. This activity is grounds for immediate termination. You may review our full Age Play Policy here. You understand and agree that we may report any and all such incidents -- and any and all of your corresponding personal information -- to any authorities we deem appropriate, whether or not it in and of itself violates the law of your (or any) jurisdiction.

The first is nothing new, they always have had access to all that.  You don't think they just take the word of residents when investigating abuse reports do you?

As for the second, anyone engaged in RL or virtual age play should be reported to the RL authorities IMO and I hope they chase them down and put them in jail too.  If you aren't engaged in age play then you have nothing to worry about.

Why did you quote these things out of context? 

Age Play is a form of roleplaying in which an individual acts or treats another as if they were a different age. The practice can be regressive, in which the goal is to re-experience childhood, or sexual, recreating a sexual relationship with people of the pretend or true ages.

Generally this can involve someone pretending to be younger than they actually are, but can also involve assuming an older role. Age play can also involve incestual roleplay.

Youth oriented ageplay does NOT attempt to simulate pedophilia, but rather is intended to highlight emotional associations held with different ages.

Sexual ageplay itself does not involve the sexual attraction to biologically underage people. Rather, when a consenting adult takes on the roleplaying mindset of a young person, it is motivated by re-experiencing emotional states and social interactions of one's youth, which also happen to be pleasurable in a sexual context to the participants.

Pedophilia is the act of having sex with or desiring to have sex with children. Two totally different things.

If my partner in SL dresses like a school girl and calls me "daddy" is that breaking the age play policy? I hope not.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

khonsuu wrote:

So, I know the explicit black you are viewing right now. 

Is this a threat?  Why yes.

I believe I completely remove my head.

Your thoughts?

Well, I think I kinda like this sound-biting thing you do!

But sound bites are so....so .....Full of empty calories. You nom on one and you need another one in just a few minutes... :D

And your point is ...  ???????

I for one, have always taken this as a given.  Its been spelled out in plain language forever.  

Do something that atracts law enforcement on SL, and LL will provide any and all info to make you pay.  Other than that?  meh.

Don't like it?  Unplug from the internet, and go play with yourself.

khonsuu wrote:

So
Linden Labs
not only logs  ...

Psst... look at the link above. Read it carefully.

It's not Linden Labs.  Did you see their logo in the link you provided? Does it say Linden Labs?

If you look carefully you might see that it says:

Linden-Lab.jpg

See? There's no S in the company name.

Even the link is:

http://lindenlab.com/

It is not:

http://lindenlabs.com

Thank you for your kind attention to this minute detail. :matte-motes-bored:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

khonsuu wrote:

So, I know the explicit black you are viewing right now. 

Is this a threat?  Why yes.

I believe I completely remove my head.

Your thoughts?

Well, I think I kinda like this sound-biting thing you do!

But sound bites are so....so .....Full of empty calories. You nom on one and you need another one in just a few minutes...
:D

Yep. It's the same with my Chinese friends. Just an hour after talking to one on the phone, I miss them again!

khonsuu wrote:

...However, to chase someone down in real life? No. I think that's different. I think that crosses a line. 

Your thoughts?

Yes, chasing someone in RL is different.  We really, really, need more hackers, scammers, spammers, and trolls (in that order) to be sent to jail in RL.

Break the law, steal things, harrass, hurt and defame people?  The internet and SL are populated by real people in real life - and the criminals need to be chased down and lynched punished.

I think that if it bothers you that much, you should take advantage of the option I've highlighted below.

5.    Your Controls and Choices

We provide you with the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use and sharing of your information. In accordance with local law, your controls and choices may include:

• You  may correct, update and/or delete your account registration
  • You may change your choices for subscriptions, newsletters and alerts
  • You may choose whether to receive offers and promotions from us for our products and services, or products and services that we think may be of interest to you
  • You may choose whether to share your Personal Information with other companies so they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
  • You may choose whether to receive targeted advertising from many ad networks, data exchanges, marketing analytics and other service providers by following the directions set forth above in Section 2 
  • You may request access to the Personal Information we hold about you and that we amend or delete it and we request third parties with whom we have shared such information to do the same

You may exercise your controls and choices, or request access to your Personal Information, by modifying your selections at http://lindenmktg.p0.com/resubscribe.jsp, following instructions provided in communications we send to you, or sending correspondence regarding the publications or services you no longer wish to receive from us to the following address:

Linden Lab Privacy Policy
Attention: Opt-Out Administrator
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111

Please be aware that if you do not allow us to collect Personal Information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences.

Pie Serendipity wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

We really, really, need more hackers, scammers, spammers, and
trolls
(in reverse order)

The forums would be a really interesting place he he he

FIFY!

Thank you.  I'll stick with my original ordering* but may I say I'm enjoying your contributions recently :-)

[* Reasoning being that i) hackers are actively breaking-in against the law (and tend to then destroy or steal as well, ii) scammers are setting traps to steal from the unwary against the law, iii) spammers are possibly not breaking any laws but are a pain in the arse, iv) trolls - when being gratuitously mean and nasty - are just mean and nasty people but can, as recent news attests, really hurt people.]

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Age Play is a form of roleplaying in which an individual acts or treats another as if they were a different age
The practice can be regressive, in which the goal is to re-experience childhood, or sexual, recreating a sexual relationship with people of the pretend or true ages.

Generally this can involve someone pretending to be younger than they actually are, but can also involve assuming an older role
. Age play can also involve incestual roleplay.

Youth oriented ageplay does NOT attempt to simulate pedophilia, but rather is intended to highlight emotional associations held with different ages.

Sexual ageplay itself does not involve the sexual attraction to biologically underage people. Rather, when a consenting adult takes on the roleplaying mindset of a young person,
it is motivated by re-experiencing emotional states and social interactions of one's youth, which also happen to be pleasurable in a sexual context to the participants.

Pedophilia is the act of having sex with or desiring to have sex with children. Two totally different things.

If my partner in SL dresses like a school girl and calls me "daddy" is that breaking the age play policy? I hope not.

I highlighted your words that really stuck out. If you read what I bolded then read your last statement, yeah, if your partner in SL is calling you *Daddy* and dresses like a scool girl, I think it's walking a thin line. I know about D/s relationsships so please don't imply that calling you Daddy has something to do with that.

I would think that anyone calling their partner Daddy has some real issues and I am certainly surprised, just by knowing what I do of you from your posting history that you defend that.

I haven't posted in awhile but this post I felt I had to reply to.

Malanya wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Age Play is a form of roleplaying in which an individual acts or treats another as if they were a different age
The practice can be regressive, in which the goal is to re-experience childhood, or sexual, recreating a sexual relationship with people of the pretend or true ages.

Generally this can involve someone pretending to be younger than they actually are, but can also involve assuming an older role
. Age play can also involve incestual roleplay.

Sexual ageplay itself does not involve the sexual attraction to biologically underage people. Rather, when a consenting adult takes on the roleplaying mindset of a young person,
it is motivated by re-experiencing emotional states and social interactions of one's youth, which also happen to be pleasurable in a sexual context to the participants.

I highlighted your words that really stuck out. If you read what I bolded then read your last statement, yeah, if your partner in SL is calling you *Daddy* and dresses like a scool girl, I think it's walking a thin line.
I know about D/s relationsships so please don't imply that calling you Daddy has something to do with that.

I would think that anyone calling their partner Daddy has some real issues and I am certainly surprised, just by knowing what I do of you from your posting history that you defend that.

I haven't posted in awhile but this post I felt I had to reply to.

I'm not implying that .. i am stating that. So you are saying that a Daddy Dom/ Babygirl relationship isn't relevant? or that there is no such thing?

its all about the visuals in SL. If two adult avs are in a Daddy Dom/ babygirl or Mommy Domme/Babyboy relationship, where is the law breaking?

khonsuu wrote:

So Linden Labs not only logs all your private correspondance in-world,  they also reserve the right to chase you down in the real world, and use those logs against your real person in your real life.  How do I know this?  Because they say it explicitly in the Privacy Policy and the Terms Of Service,  both of which can be found in the black bar at the bottom of the page you are viewing right now. 

Your thoughts?

They are obliged to, by law, hand over all information to the authorities if a user commits a crime on SL. Whether that's financial fraud or sexual age-play or whatever. They HAVE to include a clause that allows them to have over information about you, otherwise they would not be allowed to legally continue operating.  This is not new to this particular version of the TOS.

Lewis Luminos wrote:

khonsuu wrote:

Your thoughts?

They are obliged to, by law, hand over all information to the authorities if a user commits a crime on SL. Whether that's financial fraud or sexual age-play or whatever. They HAVE to include a clause that allows them to have over information about you, otherwise they would not be allowed to legally continue operating.  This is not new to this particular version of the TOS.

I know I have seen similar statements in the TOS for other things I have or do use Online, that is, "If we observe you committing a crime we are going to report you."  It may be very common practice.

I don't know if they are obliged by Law to report it (I'd like to see chapter and verse on that), but I'd agree it is probably in their best interest to report it.

In the state where I live, a person in authority, for example a teacher, is obliged to report abuse if they become aware of it.  However, I, as a Citizen am not obliged to.  But you better damn well believe if I know a child is being abused I am going to report it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.