Lights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I keep attached lights disabled.

But I run my graphics at ultra+, complete with lighting and shadows, the works. So I can see every single light in an environment, for hundreds of meters.

Today, out of curiosity, I picked under the Develop menu, Render Metadata, and Lights. Just to see.

Thousands of lights... Sometimes just in a single build. I saw one person, their hair... Every. Single. Prim. Maxed out light source. They were wearing, as far as I could tell, over 50 lights.

I see builds where walls and curtains and floors and windows are light sources...

The real question is... Why? Is it griefing? Is it bad taste, people think it actually looks good? Or is it my favorite, out of date junk computers and people unable to even see what they're doing?

Worse, these same people are probably the first ones to complain about rendering lag every time LL adds a feature to the viewer...

I'm with Gadget on this one.

You don't need to go to ultra to find the lights a problem. Even normal settings will give you a nightmare around some people.

They don't improve much of anything for all but the worst possible graphics settings - such as the setting where you turn them off... and that is the improvement. :P

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'm with Gadget on this one.

You don't need to go to ultra to find the lights a problem. Even normal settings will give you a nightmare around some people.

They don't improve much of anything for all but the worst possible graphics settings - such as the setting where you turn them off... and that is the improvement.
:P

I have a question then.. I have a very good graphics card and I always keep my setting on high. I have also have lighting and shadows, etc enabled. Yesterday I tired ultra and everything was lit up as gadget said. I do not wear any attached lights that I know of and I remove all scripts and such from clothes, hair anything that allows. So wouldn't you say it's the people creating the objects that do this? I know one brand of hair I can't stand because I can't take out the lighting. I don't see how this pertains to people that have lower end computers and them being the first to complain though, how does that fit in?

I agree that lights, should be used very judiciously.  In fact the only place I think they are appropriate is using them in light fixtures. 

I suppose some people may light a ceiling or wall if they need light but don't have the prims for a lamp or light fixture.  Still it should be very limited.

Actually running in ultra high with all the bells and whistles makes everything very bright and lights set up before advanced lighting, or without it enabled, to be glaring.  When it was introduced I had to go around everyplace I own and redo the light settings so they weren't glaring and lit what they were supposed to in a pleasing way.

Without Advanced ("per pixel") Lighting Model, viewers see only the nearest 6 point light sources.

Used to be that nobody used "per-pixel" lighting, so everybody saw only those nearest 6 lights.

Back then, many builders realized that one could therefore use a whole bunch of "black" light sources to defeat lights that were further away. Indeed, without shadows, distant lights would pass right through walls, so the only way to make a wall appear to block light was to stack six of these "anti-lights" inside the wall.  Hence, many builds will still have these "anti-light" sources discoverable with Render Metadata / Lights.

That trick is very prim-intensive, obviously, and isn't entirely satisfying anyway (partly because "nearest" is to the avatar location, not the cam), so I used it only very rarely myself.

Yeah having attached lights are good for users who have crappy video cards. But it ruins it for those who have a good card. I disabled attached lights several years ago because I got tired of my view/sceen being bleached out from face and body lights. It is pretty overwhelming when you actually turn it back on after having them disabled for a long time lol

Thats the griefing of the poor blind avatar.

They only see 6 local lights with their lo graphics settings and a few of this 6 lights are already used up by their facelights.  So they plaster everything with lights hoping to make it better but in the end its useless.

So only thing you can do is pray for their souls and avoid their places. :D

Oh .. and keep attached lights switched off!

Old practices turned bad.

This reminded me of my first encounter with Facelights.  The girl I was ice skating with told me I needed a Facelight and gave me one.   I wore it and she said "much, much better."  I could see no difference and never bothered with it again at the time.

Then I upgraded my computer and could see the difference but to me it was no big deal.

But at the time you never heard people screaming "you're blinding me." 

But as SL changed and improved and as hardware improved they became a problem.

At one time they had a valid use.  Now there use is very questionable.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Hi, hi!

ETA: Notice Shania is a redhead? :matte-motes-wink:

And yes we sure do remember her first number 1:

"Any man of mine better walk the line............"

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Hi, hi!

And yes we sure do remember her first number 1:

"Any man of mine better walk the line............"

Damn straight! 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Hi, hi!

*Looks at date*  Yep, you're right on schedule with another post so you can once again
brag
talk about your ultra+ graphics capability.

My response:

H5! Guess my question about people that do NOT add lights but gets blinded by whatever is built into objects wasn't interesting enough LOL.

edit spelling can't spell being blinded by my monitor

You're always so hung up on my computer's specs. You really should stop to enjoy the social platform and people from time to time, not everything is about having an awesome computer. Someday when you're not on a brand new computer anymore, you'll realize that.

As for my question of why some builders use so many light sources; Luckily some other, HELPFUL people contributed to this thread and offered some compelling and interesting answers...

:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

It seemed as though most of the lights blame was on people that thought it made their experience better, though you did mention builders too. I asked what about those of us (meaning myself) that don't use any attached lights and I am still blinded on ultra setting.

Malanya wrote:

It seemed as though most of the lights blame was on people that thought it made their experience better, though you did mention builders too. I asked what about those of us (meaning myself) that don't use any attached lights and I am still blinded on ultra setting.

Try turning on the metadata like I did, you'll probably find some random thing set as a maxed light source nearby, and that's what's blinding you.

That was my comment, that so many odd things are maxed out lights, instead of just things like... lights, torches, fires, etc.

Gadget Portal wrote:

You're always so hung up on my computer's specs. You really should stop to enjoy the social platform and people from time to time, not everything is about having an awesome computer. Someday when you're not on a brand new computer anymore, you'll realize that.

As for my question of why some builders use so many light sources; Luckily some other, HELPFUL people contributed to this thread and offered some compelling and interesting answers...

:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

HUH?  Reread your first sentence.  That describes YOU, Gadget, not me.  10 year old PC/new PC - I still enjoy my SL.  I'm not the one going around complaining that everyone is building things wrong.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Hey,
you're
the one that got caught up on PC specs, not me...

Getting a new PC changed you, I just don't know you anymore.

Okay, mostly I think of you as possibly more than half troll (although I did not see anything troll-like in this OP/thread) but I have to admit that was a pretty funny line.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Hey,
you're
the one that got caught up on PC specs, not me...

Getting a new PC changed you, I just don't know you anymore.

Okay, mostly I think of you as possibly more than half troll (although I did not see anything troll-like in this OP/thread) but I have to admit that was a pretty funny line.

May I ask what was so funny about it? I see no humor in this at all. Maybe you should read the first post and this:

Gadget Portal wrote:

"

The real question is... Why? Is it griefing? Is it bad taste, people think it actually looks good? Or is it my favorite, out of date junk computers and people unable to even see what they're doing?

Worse, these same people are probably the first ones to complain about rendering lag every time LL adds a feature to the viewer..."

Do you find that to also be funny as well? The way I have been reading for a long time, seems the OP is the one doing most of the complaining about what type of computers people have. A little obsessed to me.

The only time I got really sad about lights (after I disabled all the facelights) was when I visited Phat Cat's Jazz Club. Ohhh...they have so good music, a friendly set of rules and really a nice buildingconcept....if there wasn't this irritation bright light that looks at least on my settings like it belonged to a stadium. :matte-motes-bashful:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I misunderstood the post I commented on, apparently. I took it as a humorous way of surrendering the position. Had I know it was nothing more than a continuation of your trolling of Czari I'd not have written it. Consider it retracted.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding going on in here.

...Dres

Syo Emerald wrote:

...if there wasn't this irritation bright light that looks at least on my settings like it belonged to a stadium. :matte-motes-bashful:

Yeah, I have noticed that many venues have extremely bright lights when Advanced Lighting Model is on in the viewer. :smileyfrustrated:

Well, a quick fix is to temporarily turn off Advanced Lighting Model while staying at the venue. It has an effect like wearing sunglasses in a bright sunlit snowy scene.

:matte-motes-sunglasses-1:  :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.