NSA - the spider in the NET

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

~shrug~ the only way to keep communication private is to encrypt it. Plenty of ways to do that. Of course - the mere use of encryption very likely gets you labelled "terrorist" these days and thrown in jail or worse.

Doesn't matter what country. They're all dictatorships in on way or another.

I'm not worried about it. They'd be bored to tears reading all our stupid crap.

Chances are, worst case scenario, a computer might scan our stuff looking for terrorist specific keywords or phrases or something, and a humans eyes will never see it.

bigbrother.jpg

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the NSA dont care much about Linden Lab, it doesnt have many users, they are interested in collecting the data that are in the servers of Google, Skype, Facebook, and other big ones, according to these NSA slides.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the NSA dont care much about Linden Lab, it doesnt have many users, they are interested in collecting the data that are in the servers of Google, Skype, Facebook, and other big ones, according to these NSA slides.

Precisely why I don't use any of them.  I'm taking steps to move away from Yahoo for email as, the last I heard, they are in league with the above, as well as the major phone company to which I currently subscribe.  I may not be able to "beat the system" but I can stay out of danger zones.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Precisely why I don't use any of them.  I'm taking steps to move away from Yahoo for email as, the last I heard, they are in league with the above, as well as the major phone company to which I currently subscribe.  I may not be able to "beat the system" but I can stay out of danger zones.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/alcatel-one-touch-fire/4505-6452_7-35619077.html

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firefox-os-simulator/

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Nothing is private or secure online

^^^^

This

And if anyone believes any differently, this guy will lie just for you. Odd, I thought perjury was a crime...

6:40

Senator Wyden: Does the NSA collect any type of data, at all, on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?

Gen Clapper: No sir… not wittingly…

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

~shrug~ the only way to keep communication private is to encrypt it. Plenty of ways to do that. Of course - the mere use of encryption very likely gets you labelled "terrorist" these days and thrown in jail or worse.

Doesn't matter what country. They're all dictatorships in on way or another.

Just heard on a radio program last night that there is now a huge business opportunity for creating encryption methods to sell.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

^^^^

This

And if anyone believes any differently, this guy will lie just for you. Odd, I thought perjury was a crime...

Senator Wyden: Does the NSA collect any type of data, at all, on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?

That's right up there with Hank Johnson being concerned Guam might sink.  How do these people get elected???  I can't believe the Admiral kept a straight face while answering.

ETA: How does information get "inadvertently" collected?

It's a systematic problem: People who crave power are the ones going into politics (among other things), and that's precisely the people who should not be in politics.

Technology evolved faster than our social structures and values did. In my opinion that's a problem with unknown consequences.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

That's right up there with Hank Johnson being concerned Guam might sink.  How do these people get elected???  I can't believe the Admiral kept a straight face while answering.

Good grief, Czari, I had no idea my very existence was in peril in 1944 or so, when my father was laundering his skivvies on Guam. The typhoon that masticated them in a wind powered washing machine could very well have capsized the island!

... kneels and kisses the firm Wisconsin ground, then stands and casts a wary eye on her Lake Michigan beachfront.

ETA: Google has also "inadvertently" collected massive amounts of data on Wi-Fi networks (Including actual traffic, such as e-mails, as I recall) as they drove past private residences. Their defense was to say that, to capture the necessary Wi-Fi information (one wonders why it was necessary to capture any), they had to capture the entire traffic flow, and they forgot to delete what they didn't want.

The problem with all this inadvertance is that it's now digital. So it lasts forever, is trivial to transport and equally trivial to mine for connections that virtually any curious, nefarious, paranoid or even incompetent mind might imagine.

;-)

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

-----------

In this correlation maybe is that an interesting thing: the 5 eyes...

---

The United Kingdom – United States of America Agreement (UKUSA, /juːkuːˈsɑː/ ew-koo-SAH)[1][2] is a multilateral agreement for cooperation in signals intelligence among the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The alliance of intelligence operations is also known as Five Eyes.

-------

Consider it like this:

USA dont collect any Data from US Citicens - only from foreigners. Canada today said the same ... so from Canada's view US citicens are foreigners and vice-versa. But in the five - eyes ring the collected Data's come together -

Now someone says seriously: We dont collect of US Citizens (But we have the DATA from the Candians LOL :PPPP)

I think it is really necessairy to initiate that big discussion what Obama wish.

What is the balance between security and liberty. I hope that the United States will find this balance.

oberon Zuta wrote:

What is the balance between security and liberty. I hope that the United States will find this balance.

It's a tough one to be sure. I'm not so worried about the collection as I am the storage of data. If they use it for an investigation, then discard it after the resolution, ok but keeping it for possible future use is IMO nefarious.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

^^^^

This

Just WOW!! 

it scares me listening to some of the people in government..

let alone how out of touch they are with today..

they remind me of sheltered children sometimes..

In RL I'm on the National Libertarian Party's Social Media & Design Team.  We spent some time last night making an icon that we're now using as our Facebook Profile picture. The design is the historic Sons of Liberty flag, with a simple snowflake in the middle. 

We're hoping it will go viral, and that enough people on FB will take this up as their profile picture, (temporarily, of course) that it will make the news and/or some blogs.  This would then allow Edward Snowden, (who now has reportedly left the Hong Kong hotel) to see that he does have support back here in the US, from the citizenry. 

If you're inclined to participate in this effort, here is the icon we're using:  

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa21/wolfgang_99/Snowden-LPIcon-withshadow_zps7589e222.jpg

Note:  For those who wish more details on this issue, here is an article and video interview, with Edward Snowden: 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

Big Brother is watching you.

Yes nothing is secure unless you bounce your connection throguh multiple vpn's/servers even then if its actually illegal and the NSA wants to find out they will although it will hide little things such as downloading your favorite movie or something although the NSA is after the big fish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.