SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why do you feel the need to slam social media websites? Rather than venting your opinion of them, why not omit that and talk about the OP?

Social media websites ARE part of the 'OP', they ARE part of the problem, and as for opinions... Did you miss the whole concept of a 'general discussion thread'? I think you did...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Social media websites ARE part of the 'OP', they ARE part of the problem, and as for opinions... Did you miss the whole concept of a 'general discussion thread'? I think you did...

Your personal insulting opinions of social media websites have nothing to do with a general discussion thread on the Second Life forums. By using insulting names for them you do nothing to support your opinion of why people are leaving SL. If you think HUDs and MMO gamers  are the reason SL is dying.. I have some swampland for sale. Seeing as starter avs dont have huds, nor is it that hard to unattach them... I don't see that as  an issue. As to the gamers, they come in, realize it's NOT a mmo and leave. They weren't going to stay anyway, so they dont affect the numbers. Seeing as SL is profitable enough to create a whole new platform, i don't really see how it's dying. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Your personal insulting opinions of social media websites have nothing to do with a general discussion thread on the Second Life forums. By using insulting names for them you do nothing to support your opinion of why people are leaving SL. If you think HUDs and MMO gamers  are the reason SL is dying.. I have some swampland for sale. Seeing as starter avs dont have huds, nor is it that hard to unattach them... I don't see that as  an issue. As to the gamers, they come in, realize it's NOT a mmo and leave. They weren't going to stay anyway, so they dont affect the numbers. Seeing as SL is profitable enough to create a whole new platform, i don't really see how it's dying. 

You are walking the intolerance line Drake.

And by being dismissive of Klytyna's ideas simply because you don't approve of her idiom is hypocritical on your part.

Do you challenge people in RL to alter their personalities and manner of expressing themselves?

57 minutes ago, eighthdwarf Checchinato said:

If I remember correctly, people already said "SL is dying!" back then in Feb 2008, when I joined.

So... IF SL were really dying, it must be a real slooooooooooow death.

I wonder if there could be a way to turn it as a theme song? "SL is dying, lalalala... since 2003, lalalala..."

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If you think HUDs and MMO gamers  are the reason SL is dying.. I have some swampland for sale

I'm not one of the doomsayers claiming it's all over, try reading the thread before incorrectly assigning sides to people.

21 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Seeing as starter avs dont have huds, nor is it that hard to unattach them.

You missed the point completely, try reading posts instead of making false claims about 'angst' and 'teens'.

The POINT is increasingly, every thing in SL seems to have handy links buttons and doodads encouraging people to go and use Farcebook instead of SL, the colour hud for your hair tempts you to visit Farcebook, your favorite clothing store has a 6 ft high sign for Splatter in the foyer, thats 50% bigger than the sign for the new products, etc.

24 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

As to the gamers, they come in, realize it's NOT a mmo and leave.

You'd be surprised how many stay and complain that SL is 'old and crap' becausze it's not like their MMO's, the post yopu initially responded to was directed at one of them, but you seemed to miss that point, didn't you.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:47 AM, Arkanus Andel said:

The problem is that you continually ignored the information that was presented to you and attempted to move the goalposts several times.

Now we're done.

No, the problem is you chose to accept the dollar value of one benefit , but chose to ignore the dollar value of another benefit, simply so you could claim that i was wrong.

5 plus 5 equals 10, in any part of the universe except the space between your ears.

Done yet?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Klytyna said:

In terms of typical daily population, everything from the start of the 2nd Wave Lastnamer influx to the beginning of the 'Rise of the Resident' era, might as well have not happened.

Now, some of SL's bigger problems are Farcebook, "smartfone un-viewers", and 'leet power gamerz' who think of SL as some corporate produced MMO.. 

Every damn color hud for every hair or clothing item encourages users to close or minimise the sl window and visit Farcebook, Splatter, Fluckr, and all those other "to ignorant and impatient to use a forum" smartfone app websites, where you 'friend' people you have nothing in common with and never speak to.

And when they do log into SL, they do it on an un-viewer designed to run on a phone, that makes SL come across worse than it actually is, and who can't get their heads around the fact that phones just are not up to running things like SL properly.

Then the MMO PowerGamerz (tm) who can't understand why the install for SL is so TINY, wheres the 30 gb of content, why don't the 'devs' update the content, why does it constantly stream stuff. instead of installing to their 128 bit 16 core i11 "in-hell in-side"Berkium CPU Gaming PC with the half terabyte graphics card, and the 150 terabyte SSD! The Gamerz (tm) who can't understand that SL isn't their classic MMOFPS Deathmatch game, and that most of the 'content' is made by players, and that there is too damn much of it to download onto ANY PC ever built.

If you dislike our 'dated content' and ancient scripting system, and the whole 'made for dead people over 30' concept, feel free to depart for a smartfone interface 20 something friendly Farcebook integrated MMOFPS elsewhere.

If SL is sooooooooo 'Last  Decade' LAME, why are you still here?

You do realize that people utilize outside programs because there's nothing of the sort integrated into SL, right? What's the point of taking beautiful images if you're confined to a freaking tiny square with HORRIBLE image quality? Yeah, people gonna use better programs to share their stuff.

On 8/6/2017 at 2:37 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

SL content belongs to SL residents. Should LL remove your content from your inventory? LL has no ability to update content either. That's a job for the content creators (who are likely long gone in the case of old items). If you want new & shiny, Sansar's for you (eventually).

There's tons of scripters saying the LSL needs to be badly updated. 

8 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

You do realize that people utilize outside programs because there's nothing of the sort integrated into SL, right? What's the point of taking beautiful images if you're confined to a freaking tiny square with HORRIBLE image quality? Yeah, people gonna use better programs to share their stuff.

To this point; I play with Flickr and FB as an addendum to my SL and as a means of staying in touch while I am on breaks doing that thing that pays my bills and keeps my orange tomcat fed :-)

Strangely, I don't do either one for my RL because "I manage people for a Big Company that gets butt-hurt when managers act like people on social media (which sucks)"

I do understand the frustration with things that draw people from FB though - I much prefer SL myself....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

When the profile feed is working (currently under maintenance the last week or so due to bugs resulting from them updating stuff, as you so often demand), it certainly isn't limited to "tiny square images in horrible quality", don't claim that the inworld profile pic meant to help people remember who they are talking to is SL's answer to social media sites with image galleries, that's just a ridiculous comparison.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Klytyna said:

When the profile feed is working (currently under maintenance the last week or so due to bugs resulting from them updating stuff, as you so often demand), it certainly isn't limited to "tiny square images in horrible quality", don't claim that the inworld profile pic meant to help people remember who they are talking to is SL's answer to social media sites with image galleries, that's just a ridiculous comparison.

Ok, you really need to get off your SL high horse. You may not give a damn about quality but some people actually do. Our profile feeds are utter crap and a pure laughing stock. They are NOT suited for proper photography. Get that through your head right now. 

17 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

That's pathetically low, honestly. The only thing holding up SL are fashion events. Take those out and the grid would be pretty much dead.

Low compared to WHAT? It's about 10 times what StarTrek Online seems to manage, for example, and that's a profitable MMO that shows no signs of losing its franchise.

Low compared to Farcebook? Sure, theres a damn sight more demand for a smartphone friendly site that lets you look at pictures of lonely 20 somethings in your areea, than for something like SL, which really needs an actual computer, and more than 5 mins typing "yo babe ur hawt, frend me now voice/cam/skype/nude selfies?" with your thumbs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chrismaky said:

Ok, you really need to get off your SL high horse. You may not give a damn about quality but some people actually do. Our profile feeds are utter crap and a pure laughing stock. They are NOT suited for proper photography. Get that through your head right now.

If you assume the feeds only have 'tiny square images in horrible quality' it means one of two things, either you never figured out how to navigate to the full sized images or, your smartphone is crippling your web viewing...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

If you assume the feeds only have 'tiny square images in horrible quality' it means one of two things, either you never figured out how to navigate to the full sized images or, your smartphone is crippling your web viewing...

Nobody wants to see unedited pics in poor image formats. When you upload any image file into SL, it compresses it and it loses quality. FB does that too. Which is why BOTH SL and FB users use Flickr. I have no idea why you're so hardcore against it. I mean, if anything, you've got people PROMOTING Second Life. 

Sit down.

Edited by Chrismaky

3 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

Nobody wants to see unedited pics in poor image formats.

I'd take that more seriously if I suspected you knew anything about 'image formats', what format are you a snob about? TIF, TGA, PNG, IFF, Gif 87, GIF 89, BMP, RAW, JPG/JPEG, JPEG2000?

Format doesn't actually matter much as long as it's web capable and lossless.

The profile feeds use... 

PNG, a lossless web optimised format that delivers good quality, so in fact the quality is determined by what settings people CHOOSE to use when TAKING their snaps..

• Like 3

Just now, Klytyna said:

I'd take that more seriously if I suspected you knew anything about 'image formats', what format are you a snob about? TIF, TGA, PNG, IFF, Gif 87, GIF 89, BMP, RAW, JPG/JPEG, JPEG2000?

Format doesn't actually matter much as long as it's web capable and lossless.

The profile feeds use... 

PNG, a lossless web optimised format that delivers good quality, so in fact the quality is determined by what settings people CHOOSE to use when TAKING their snaps..

Hahahahahahahahahaha. You're funny. 

13 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

No, the problem is you chose to accept the dollar value of one benefit , but chose to ignore the dollar value of another benefit, simply so you could claim that i was wrong.

5 plus 5 equals 10, in any part of the universe except the space between your ears.

Done yet?

Thank you very much for proving my point in the clearest way possible while also showing that you react quite badly to factual information.

You assigned a monetary value to a plot of virtual land that you have not shown any intent to sell off for L$, thus meaning you are actually getting nothing whatsoever back that could be converted into real cash. In short unless you intend to sell off your plot you are getting nothing whatsoever.

$5 + $0 = $5. The value you placed on that Tier is meaningless unless you are receiving that value back, which you are not.

Now if you'd like to continue you are quite welcome to, you will be doing it alone however as I have no intention to continue refuting your erroneous information.

I think the problem with Second Life is that in many ways Linden Lab seem very stuck in their ways. A lot of things aren't fixed and consequently these things negatively affect the user retention.

I also think the whole SL is dying or SL sims are reducing are also a by product of the way Linden Lab have set up things. For instance, since the creation of Private Regions for a person to be able to buy a homestead you are required to have a full region. Now while I assume there was a valid reason for this, surely that has lapsed as they have upgraded their servers etc. and I think a lot of the regions closing would stop if this policy was removed to allow anyone to purchase the cheaper Homestead Region, especially now with the increased prim allowance. It would certainly benefit the smaller RP communities and even help the 'hangout' communities that seem to die almost every week. It would have certainly stopped the closing of a Hangout/rp sim I and another person created and had for a number of years.

If the idea above has its issues i.e. influx of server usage and stress (which I assume was the original reason for the stupid policy) then perhaps (at the risk of being hounded by the people that seem to have issue with premium members) to increase the premium account usage, allow those that own a premium account the ability to buy a homestead region without the need of purchasing a full region or something similar. Whilst I am a premium member I do believe the current benefits are lacking and only find the attempts by labs to increase the premium usage laughable... I mean seriously gifts, sandbox's (unpopulated) etc.

Oh and I do wish they would make the ui a little bit more user friendly. Like the ability to add people to the favourite bar or even side bars so we can right click tp/im people without opening the people tab etc.

• Like 1

Since you chose to defend your original piece of tech illiterate nonsense with an edit, I'll quote and reply to the edit in a separate post so it doesn't get lost...

3 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

When you upload any image file into SL, it compresses it and it loses quality. FB does that too. Which is why BOTH SL and FB users use Flickr. I have no idea why you're so hardcore against it. I mean, if anything, you've got people PROMOTING Second Life.

Sit down.

1. When you upload an image INTO the Secondlife world, on the ingame asset servers, it converts to jpeg2000, and reduces image size to max 1024x1024. This is for IN WORLD ASSETS ONLY. Repeat 

THIS IS FOR IN WORLD TEXTURE ASSETS ONLY - NOT THE WEB FEED

2. When you post an image to your web feed, it's uploaded to a completely different server system, in PNG format, at whatever image resolution you posted it in when you took the snapshot which can be LARGER than your actual SL screen resolution if you so choose..

If you are unaware of these differences and too damn lazy to check (or simply crippled by the smartphone experience), I would suggest you refrain from making comments that are technically and factually WRONG.

3. Farcebook promotes... Farcebook. "Click mah link visit mah Farcebook page, like meh!"

4. I AM sitting down, I use a computer not a phone to surf the web and log in to SL.

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

I'm not sure SL was either designed to be an all-in-one "3d-Photoshop-Illustrator-Maya-Blender-Instagram-FB" virtual platform?

So while you're correct, I still fail to see the point?

Not everyone logs in for photography either. I think you even mentioned it yourself here : "the only thing holding up SL are fashion events. Take those out and the grid would be pretty much dead."

Edited by Morgan Rosenstar
completing comment

17 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

I'm not sure SL was either designed to be an all-in-one "3d-Photoshop-Illustrator-Maya-Blender-Instagram-FB" virtual platform?

So while you're correct, I still fail to see the point?

Not everyone logs in for photography either. I think you even mentioned it yourself here : "the only thing holding up SL are fashion events. Take those out and the grid would be pretty much dead."

No, but I'd say a good chunk of sl people have a Flickr. But we all know nothing beats a fashion and shoes event lol

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Since you chose to defend your original piece of tech illiterate nonsense with an edit, I'll quote and reply to the edit in a separate post so it doesn't get lost...

1. When you upload an image INTO the Secondlife world, on the ingame asset servers, it converts to jpeg2000, and reduces image size to max 1024x1024. This is for IN WORLD ASSETS ONLY. Repeat 

THIS IS FOR IN WORLD TEXTURE ASSETS ONLY - NOT THE WEB FEED

2. When you post an image to your web feed, it's uploaded to a completely different server system, in PNG format, at whatever image resolution you posted it in when you took the snapshot which can be LARGER than your actual SL screen resolution if you so choose..

If you are unaware of these differences and too damn lazy to check (or simply crippled by the smartphone experience), I would suggest you refrain from making comments that are technically and factually WRONG.

3. Farcebook promotes... Farcebook. "Click mah link visit mah Farcebook page, like meh!"

4. I AM sitting down, I use a computer not a phone to surf the web and log in to SL.

What the hell is your freaking problem, lady? People can log into SL on mobile if they want. Who the bloody hell are you to dictate how people can log into the grid? I log in from mobile when I'm on the road or at work because it's convenient. You insisting that people stop doing that...well...good luck. 

You are correct that the images on your profile feeds are in quality PNG. The issue is that, again, it's NOT suitable for photography because it's a profile feed.

Stop being a control freak and dissing everything you refuse to understand. 

4 minutes ago, Chrismaky said:

What the hell is your freaking problem, lady? People can log into SL on mobile if they want. Who the bloody hell are you to dictate how people can log into the grid? I log in from mobile when I'm on the road or at work because it's convenient. You insisting that people stop doing that...well...good luck. 

You are correct that the images on your profile feeds are in quality PNG. The issue is that, again, it's NOT suitable for photography because it's a profile feed.

Stop being a control freak and dissing everything you refuse to understand. 

I have seen some really well done photos in the feeds.. Perhaps you need to expand you view on what people in SL can actually do. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.