SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, Anaimfinity said:

//However, now, with Sansar opened, I make another prediction, that Second Life will survive 5 years from now. Many people will move to Sansar. People who love mainland (sailors, pilots, train engineers, drivers, horse riders or people who love walking long distances) will prefer the environment of Second Life. But, the vast majority are here enjoying their virtual lives on an isolated private sim roleplaying, living on a tropical beach or whatsoever. For them, Sansar is a better option.//

I think you have a point here. I still love the old mainland with its long roads. railways and tons to explore. For me and for some of my friends this is still  "the real SL" as we call it...
I still own a 1024 sqm parcel at Heterocera continent. But we are minority. Most residents prefer a tropical beach or a role play sim.

Edited by Ina Fairport

As Sansar is set up now, you have 3 experiences for free to play with. Each experience is about 300x300 in size, so that is somewhat bigger than the SL sims of 256x256. So everyone can have a home for free at this time, and I hope they don't change that. Some will charge a fee to view their experience in the future, but I doubt all will.

If you visit the Yosemite experience there, you will see that it's far bigger than the 300x300 typical experience (it takes forever to walk to the edge of the land) -- so they have joined several experiences together in Yosemite.
I think this is one of the goals -- to have huge continents where all the fun things on the Mainland in SL can be there too -- who knows how many chunks of land or experiences can be joined at this point, or what they have planned.

Anyway, I don't think it's contiguous land-lovers that will keep people in SL, as it appears this will be in Sansar. I can think of a number of  other factors that might keep people in SL though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you visit the Yosemite experience there, you will see that it's far bigger than the 300x300 typical experience (it takes forever to walk to the edge of the land) -- so they have joined several experiences together in Yosemite.

Not exactly. There is no fixed size for a Sansar experience. You can make it as small as a single room in a house or you can expand it up to...

Umm, I don't think LL has published the max size actually. It's at least 2x2 km (the equivalent of 64 SL sims) and most likely 4x4 km (256 sims) since that seems to be the limit other similar engines are struggling to break through. WhiteCore has managed it though, a sim there can be up to 8x8 km, so it's not impossible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anaimfinity said:

Based on this and other data from Gridsurvey, I estimated in 2016 that in 10 years, Second Life will shrink to about 20% of what it is now.

I would guess about 50% of today's size, perhaps a little bit less. There will always be a hard core of users who'll stay loyal until they die and once you get down to that core, the decline will slow down. LL's tier income will drop faster than the number of sims though since it will always be the customers who have to pay the highest prices who are most likely to leave.

15 minutes ago, Ina Fairport said:

Ina, this is true, we both (and majority of us posting here) belong to that minority. Depopulation of mainland started when renting land became cheaper then owning a small parcel. Many people prefer to own instead of rent something. Later, creators started to move to Opensim, which was cheaper. And when Lindens stopped to set abandoned land for sale, less people looked for mainland.

When I heard about Third Life (as some friends called the project that now is Sansar), I first said that it will be a monumental failure or if it will be a success, it will bring a slow death to SL.

But how long will SL survive? I think the Lindens will not want to pull the switch off as long as there are residents paying some tier. I know someone who died, but his tier was paid in advance for two years... Also, there are many people like me and you that will not want to move away, as long as this world is not dead. So, for a few years, SL will survive.

And how will SL look like in its last days? I think the Lindens, at some point, will turn off sims of abandoned land or sims that had no visitor for a few months. Our virtual world will probably look like this part of Sharp Continent (the former TSL grid), with much abandoned land and unconnected roads.

Snapshot a_001.png

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It's at least 2x2 km (the equivalent of 64 SL sims) and most likely 4x4 km (256 sims) since that seems to be the limit other similar engines are struggling to break through.

I wonder how long the max size at this point would take to download today, with lots of content on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

As Sansar is set up now, you have 3 experiences for free to play with. .... So everyone can have a home for free at this time, and I hope they don't change that.

Not completely free.  I don't know what upload charges are, if any, but if you cannot create then you will have to buy whatever is needed to set up your home.

Better to say that everyone can have some land for free at this time.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not completely free.  I don't know what upload charges are, if any, but if you cannot create then you will have to buy whatever is needed to set up your home.

No charge to upload that I can see.
Choose from a number of pre-made scenes (I like the highlands all nature one, but there are ones with structures too). You can manipulate elements around in these or delete, and combine with free MP items or your own creations.
Lots of free stuff on the MP to grab.

• Like 1

SL has bugs but NOTHING like when I first started 10 years ago. Then, when you TPd, anything above your neck or ankles down ended up in the middle. This includes hair, jewelry, and shoes. You'd regularly fold over in half like you'd been cut in half.

Every Wednesday, the grid went down at 8 AM SLT for maintenance, supposedly for 4 hours...which often became 8 or more. Let's not forget the great blackout that went for 4 days. 

Then you had the days you couldn't TP. Where you rezzed in is where you were stuck. I spent 2 days at the Gov. Linden mansion.

If you were dancing with a dance ball, if you forgot to disconnect, you'd still be dancing when you TPd and got to your destination.

Then textures didn't always load on avis and they'd be wearing a default white texture with Missing Texture in black letters on it. I can remember some enterprising people that made actual clothes with that texture on it to freak others out.

Like today's mesh bodies, you had one item per layer though there was no tat layer then. So, when mesh bods came out, it was easy to revert to what I did when we first started.

I can remember the grid crashing for a few hours the first time 35K people were logged in. 

I can remember when you tried to rez out a box and you ended up wearing it as a hat.

SL has come a very long way in 10 years. A lot of bugs have been fixed. Some that crop up now are because of hidden bombs in the code. The original coders are long gone and there was no documentation left for what they did. When the current coders change something, sometimes it reacts with something they didn't know was buried in the code. It wasn't that long ago when you suddenly couldn't upload anything. The coders found that the code set up to assign UUID's was maxed out on the number it could assign. The original coders had put, what they thought was, an astronomical number that they never thought would be reached...it was. That had to be fixed, which they did quickly.

I personally think that the coders for SL are doing a phenomenal job updating since they are having to work with a base code that is so old that they can't get rid of without breaking a LOT of SL content.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

Every Wednesday, the grid went down at 8 AM SLT for maintenance, supposedly for 4 hours...which often became 8 or more. Let's not forget the great blackout that went for 4 days. 

Oh that blackout! People had terrible withdrawal. :/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Oh that blackout! People had terrible withdrawal. :/

Or the month in 2009 that was nothing but rollouts, rollbacks, rollouts, rollbacks, over and over again, a month's worth of things messing up, repeatedly, and as soon as something was fixed, something else went wrong, lol.  I actually felt really bad for LL that time, because it was honestly one massive headache after another, and there was very little they could do about it other than say "sorry, we're trying to fix it". There were days after days in that month when some couldn't login at all, or logout, or tp, or rez stuff, products were breaking, for literally days, lol. I spent a lot of time laughing at idiotic things that would go wrong, both as a creator, and as a resident...because, what else can ya do? Better to laugh and be in good company amidst the misery than break down and go postal, right? ;) 

Ahh, the magic of sl past...I almost..almost...miss those days, sometimes. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Home? In sansar? Theres no such thing as a home in sansar. Theres zero object interaction so you can't even sit on a chair.

8 hours ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

SL has come a very long way in 10 years. A lot of bugs have been fixed. Some that crop up now are because of hidden bombs in the code. The original coders are long gone and there was no documentation left for what they did. When the current coders change something, sometimes it reacts with something they didn't know was buried in the code. It wasn't that long ago when you suddenly couldn't upload anything. The coders found that the code set up to assign UUID's was maxed out on the number it could assign. The original coders had put, what they thought was, an astronomical number that they never thought would be reached...it was. That had to be fixed, which they did quickly.

I personally think that the coders for SL are doing a phenomenal job updating since they are having to work with a base code that is so old that they can't get rid of without breaking a LOT of SL content.

Much of that SL content needs to be either taken out or dramatically updated. Like the LSL...older than dirt that is.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:28 AM, Klytyna said:

Ever been in a busy department store in Oxford St, in London during the Boxing Day Sale?

Then go back in oh, early March...

"Oh Noe! Harridges Department Store, Establisehed 1910, is DYING! Woe! Woe! Wait... HOW much profit did they report last financial year? OMFG! Where can I buy shares!"

Most of the "SL is dying" claims are based almost exclusivly on the fact that during the 2nd Wave Lastnamer influx, 20 odd million people all rushed in, mostly for the wrong reasons, ran around like mad things for a couple of years, then disappointed, rushed out again...

So youre saying that there was zero growth lol

Edited by Chrismaky

1 hour ago, Chrismaky said:

Much of that SL content needs to be either taken out or dramatically updated. Like the LSL...older than dirt that is.

SL content belongs to SL residents. Should LL remove your content from your inventory? LL has no ability to update content either. That's a job for the content creators (who are likely long gone in the case of old items). If you want new & shiny, Sansar's for you (eventually).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

So youre saying that there was zero growth lol

In terms of typical daily population, everything from the start of the 2nd Wave Lastnamer influx to the beginning of the 'Rise of the Resident' era, might as well have not happened.

Now, some of SL's bigger problems are Farcebook, "smartfone un-viewers", and 'leet power gamerz' who think of SL as some corporate produced MMO.. 

Every damn color hud for every hair or clothing item encourages users to close or minimise the sl window and visit Farcebook, Splatter, Fluckr, and all those other "to ignorant and impatient to use a forum" smartfone app websites, where you 'friend' people you have nothing in common with and never speak to.

And when they do log into SL, they do it on an un-viewer designed to run on a phone, that makes SL come across worse than it actually is, and who can't get their heads around the fact that phones just are not up to running things like SL properly.

Then the MMO PowerGamerz (tm) who can't understand why the install for SL is so TINY, wheres the 30 gb of content, why don't the 'devs' update the content, why does it constantly stream stuff. instead of installing to their 128 bit 16 core i11 "in-hell in-side"Berkium CPU Gaming PC with the half terabyte graphics card, and the 150 terabyte SSD! The Gamerz (tm) who can't understand that SL isn't their classic MMOFPS Deathmatch game, and that most of the 'content' is made by players, and that there is too damn much of it to download onto ANY PC ever built.

If you dislike our 'dated content' and ancient scripting system, and the whole 'made for dead people over 30' concept, feel free to depart for a smartfone interface 20 something friendly Farcebook integrated MMOFPS elsewhere.

If SL is sooooooooo 'Last  Decade' LAME, why are you still here?

Edited by Klytyna

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

In terms of typical daily population, everything from the start of the 2nd Wave Lastnamer influx to the beginning of the 'Rise of the Resident' era, might as well have not happened.

Now, some of SL's bigger problems are Farcebook, "smartfone un-viewers", and 'leet power gamerz' who think of SL as some corporate produced MMO.. 

Every damn color hud for every hair or clothing item encourages users to close or minimise the sl window and visit Farcebook, Splatter, Fluckr, and all those other "to ignorant and impatient to use a forum" smartfone app websites, where you 'friend' people you have nothing in common with and never speak to.

And when they do log into SL, they do it on an un-viewer designed to run on a phone, that makes SL come across worse than it actually is, and who can't get their heads around the fact that phones just are not up to running things like SL properly.

Then the MMO PowerGamerz (tm) who can't understand why the install for SL is so TINY, wheres the 30 gb of content, why don't the 'devs' update the content, why does it constantly stream stuff. instead of installing to their 128 bit 16 core i11 "in-hell in-side"Berkium CPU Gaming PC with the half terabyte graphics card, and the 150 terabyte SSD! The Gamerz (tm) who can't understand that SL isn't their classic MMOFPS Deathmatch game, and that most of the 'content' is made by players, and that there is too damn much of it to download onto ANY PC ever built.

If you dislike our 'dated content' and ancient scripting system, and the whole 'made for dead people over 30' concept, feel free to depart for a smartfone interface 20 something friendly Farcebook integrated MMOFPS elsewhere.

If SL is sooooooooo 'Last  Decade' LAME, why are you still here?

People might take you more seriously if you didn't rage and use goofy made up names for various popular sites... You come off as an angsty teenager. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

People might take you more seriously if you didn't rage and use goofy made up names for various popular sites... You come off as an angsty teenager.

If you use real names... there's the danger that some over zealous mod will slam you for 'negative comments about a product'.

And I don't care if some people make false assumptions about me instead of reading the actual message...

14 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

If you use real names... there's the danger that some over zealous mod will slam you for 'negative comments about a product'.

And I don't care if some people make false assumptions about me instead of reading the actual message...

Why do you feel the need to slam social media websites? Rather than venting your opinion of them, why not omit that and talk about the OP? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.