Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Punk_09.png

PerriePunk.jpg

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

When I make comments about the majority of avatars I saw with skins that looked "like they had spent way too much time in a tanning booth" (my words) when I began in 2007, I am not in any way disparaging any nationality or race of people in RL.  My observations of extremely tanned skins when I began in 2007 are akin to bling being rampant in 2007, an apparent SL trend of the time, nothing more/nothing less. That is the spirit in which I read the OPs comments.

I noted in another post in this thread the difficulty I had trying to find a fair skin in 2007.  When I finally did (thanks to Gala Phoenix) I actually had people dropping tanned skins on me because they thought my skin was "too light."  THAT is insulting, especially when some of them were virtually strangers ie. not friends but people I may have said "Hello" to once in my capacity as a greeter at a dance venue.

That is horrible. I am sorry you went through that. Especially in a world when you don't even have to be human. 

Thanks.
;)
  It's funny to look back on now but, rest assured the people that I *did* know who pulled that stunt were treated to "Redhead on Rampage!" *Grins*

It's so wild because I had forgotten how often I had been told to 'get a tan' back in 2007 also.

I don'y have any really good shots.  I had lost a bunch in a HD crash.'

I was helping a friend who was doing an SL Art project that had an urban/punk theme to it.

But I was pretty 'white' then.

Oh, oh...I'd forgotten the "Get a tan" line...I was told that as well...also, "You need to get out in the sun more."   Looking back on that first beloved skin, now even I think it's a bit "too pale" but in 2007 it was the best I could find and not be "Goth white" or have an orange tint.  (Almost ashamed to post a photo now...lol.)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Charli Infinity wrote:

and there are a lot of tacky magazines. Doesn't mean if they's on a magazine they're not tacky. Tacky magazines feature tacky people and magines that are not tacky freature those who are not tacky. That's image. Second life has pretty tacky image because of this.

Did the song "
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey

A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?" pop into anyone else's head after reading the above? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Cowzy tweet and sowzy tweet and liddle sharksy doisters.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

And here I thought my post was going to be too long.  After they read yours, they won't have the energy to read mind... foiled again.

...Dres (jk *hugs*)

Lmao, I know. I can be terrible sometimes, hehe

Punk_01.png

Punk_02.png

Punk_03.png

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

When I make comments about the majority of avatars I saw with skins that looked "like they had spent way too much time in a tanning booth" (my words) when I began in 2007, I am not in any way disparaging any nationality or race of people in RL.  My observations of extremely tanned skins when I began in 2007 are akin to bling being rampant in 2007,

Oh, oh...I'd forgotten the "Get a tan" line...I was told that as well...also, "You need to get out in the sun more."   Looking back on that first beloved skin, now even I think it's a bit "too pale" but in 2007 it was the best I could find and not be "Goth white" or have an orange tint.  (Almost ashamed to post a photo now...lol.)

Maybe I should go back to this look.

I sure had no trouble getting the girls back then.

But then the OP would call that being "tacky."

Guess I'll stick with Marvin.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

L
it
tle
Bo
xes

- Malvina Reynolds

Little boxes on the hillside,

Little boxes made of ticky tacky,

Little boxes on the hillside,

Little boxes all the same.

There's a green one and a pink one 

And a blue one and a yellow one,

And they're all made out of ticky tacky

And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses

All went to the university,

Where they were put in boxes

And they came out all the same,

And there's doctors and lawyers,

And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course

And drink their martinis dry,

And they all have pretty children

And the children go to school,

And the children go to summer camp

And then to the university,

Where they are put in boxes

And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business

And marry and raise a family

In boxes made of ticky tacky 

There's a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one,

Recorded by Nina and Frederik in the 60s:)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

When I make comments about the majority of avatars I saw with skins that looked "like they had spent way too much time in a tanning booth" (my words) when I began in 2007, I am not in any way disparaging any nationality or race of people in RL.  My observations of extremely tanned skins when I began in 2007 are akin to bling being rampant in 2007, an apparent SL trend of the time, nothing more/nothing less. That is the spirit in which I read the OPs comments.

I noted in another post in this thread the difficulty I had trying to find a fair skin in 2007.  When I finally did (thanks to Gala Phoenix) I actually had people dropping tanned skins on me because they thought my skin was "too light."  THAT is insulting, especially when some of them were virtually strangers ie. not friends but people I may have said "Hello" to once in my capacity as a greeter at a dance venue.

I agree that there are skins that look "like they had spent way too much time in a tanning booth".  I also think it was terribly tacky :smileywink: for people to tell you to get a tan and drop skins on you. 

My remark was addressed to the OP who looks down her nose at anybody that doesn't agree with her or whose avatar doesn't meet her idea of what she finds acceptable, which is apparently northern european features with little to no makeup and dressed in nun approved fashion.

Here's Malvina's original, which is in my record collection...

And Pete Seeger, also in my collection...

I love Regina Spektor's version...

The song is so good that Englebert Humperdinck can't ruin it...

The Decemberists...

Elvis Costello...

Adrienne Stiefel...

Rise Against (hang on to your desk)...

Phil, I think I know the version by Nina and Frederik, but can't find it online.

:-(

Charli Infinity wrote:

again, i said the majority not everyone

this is the black and white thinking again.

unless it's not no one it's everyone to you guys.

you're just you. you don't represent the majority

Please then, show us the majority. Because the majority of who "I" see in SL do NOT dress tacky.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Here's Melvina's original, which is in my record collection...

And Pete Seeger, also in my collection...

I love Regina Spektor's version...

The song is so good that Englebert Humperdinck can't ruin it...

The Decemberists...

Elvis Costello...

Adrienne Stiefel...

Rise Against (hang on to your desk)...

Phil, I think I know the version by Nina and Frederik, but can't find it online.

:-(

That's a lot of boxes.

...Dres

Charli Infinity wrote:

I want post picture from the marketplace but I can't do that

You can post links to the pictures, but oh well....I'm done. Anyway, Your opinion is just that, your opinion. I'm bored, so I think I might go into SL and mess around, anyone wanna come and join me? *smiles*

Been a while since i looked at this thread.  I read through it all and there seems to be two possibilities here.

You are a terribly insecure person with a lot of hang ups about sexuality who looks down your nose at anyone that doesn't meet your standards of appearance.  You must come from a terribly narrow minded and judgmental family, which would explain this.  So I can understand why you feel shame that you are in SL at all and don't want to tell anyone.  What I can't understand, given the opinions you have expressed, is why you stay in SL.

Or

I'm wrong and you are just a troll.  As evidence, I find it very funny that your profile is completely void of anything personal and you have no picture of yourself.  Yet in your groups you belong to  "I <3 The Starlust - The Starlust Motel, where the entrance is almost always in the rear. The Starlust Motel: We're not what you were hoping for, this morning. The Starlust Motel: We Aim to Make you Slightly Uncomfortable "  The group logo is a picture of Elvis as the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  AND THAT'S NOT TACKY????? smiley-laughing025.gif

....enough said.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Been a while since i looked at this thread.  I read through it all and there seems to be two possibilities here.

You are a terribly insecure person with a lot of hang ups about sexuality who looks down your nose at anyone that doesn't meet your standards of appearance.  You must come from a terribly narrow minded and judgmental family, which would explain this.  So I can understand why you feel shame that you are in SL at all and don't want to tell anyone.  What I can't understand, given the opinions you have expressed, is why you stay in SL.

Or

I'm wrong and you are just a troll.  As evidence, I find it very funny that your profile is completely void of anything personal and you have no picture of yourself.  Yet in your groups you belong to  "I <3 The Starlust - The Starlust Motel, where the entrance is almost always in the rear. The Starlust Motel: We're not what you were hoping for, this morning. The Starlust Motel: We Aim to Make you Slightly Uncomfortable "  The group logo is a picture of Elvis as the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  AND THAT'S NOT TACKY????? 
smiley-laughing025.gif

....enough said.

Falls down laughing. OMGOSH!! Too funny!!! Thank you for the laugh Amethyst. I REALLY needed it!

Edited to add: How can I get my picture to appear bigger? :matte-motes-smile:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You are a terribly insecure person

This is exactly what I was trying to point out in my first post to this thread.  I suppose sometimes slapping your argument against some dense person's face works better than trying to be subtle in the face of stupidity.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.