BIG DAY TODAY, passenger number 200,000 riding my vehicles.

Canoro Philipp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A3123 wrote:

You're
Your
ambiance does not do much for the ambiance.

Using the opportunity to paste some grammar help here.  :matte-motes-nerdy:

Your / You're / Yours

Your - the second person possessive adjective – it refers to ownership. It will always be followed with a noun.
Your manuscript could use some editing.
Will you finish your project today?
Are you writing for your age group?

You’re - a contraction for “you” and “are”.
You’re going to miss the last deadline.
You’re going to be a published author.
You’re welcome.

Yours - the second person possessive pronoun - it replaces "your" + noun.
Is this yours or theirs?
I can't find mine, but yours is on the table.
Yours is a better idea.

[uNQUOTE]

This grammar help was provided as a free service for the whole community.  :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileytongue:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Very close to 300,000 riders now by over 100,000 different people.

You may have 300k newbs riding your crap (which we only have your word for) but you have interfered with the enjoyment of probably twice as many residents by littering vehicles all over their property, creating a general eyesore and blocking roads for people who want to ride their own vehicle to ride on the mainland. 

Seeing how this thread has popped back to the surface, I notice there's also a recent thread across the street about a relatively new development: "bus stop" rezzers on LDPW rez zones. I'm actually kind of surprised that these haven't generated more comment, sooner -- it's been several months since I started noticing them -- so maybe they're not as serious a problem as they first appeared.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

You may have 300k newbs riding your crap (which we only have your word for) but you have interfered with the enjoyment of probably twice as many residents by littering vehicles all over their property, creating a general eyesore and blocking roads for people who want to ride their
own
vehicle to ride on the mainland.  

To be fair, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be in this case, it's probable that the claimed vehicle riders were a mix of old and new users and not mostly noobs. I say that because I feel sure that a great many old users have hopped on a vehicle just for the sake of it, and hopped off again a minute or less later. They aren't exactly claimable as passengers or riders but the vehicle system will add them just the same.

I've never seen anyone riding one of her vehicles, so I guess that just about everyone who hops on one, hops off again not many seconds later because the vehicles move excruciatingly slowly and zig and zag all over the place. They don't provide anything that could be considered acceptable as a 'ride'.

It's very likely also that many of the riders are folks like me, who realize that the only way to get rid of vehicles piled up at a region border is to jump on them so they come to life and continue their aimless travel down the road, and out of sight. I'm on and off in about 7 seconds. If that counts as a loyal rider, oh well. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

What are "bus stop rezzers"?

To repeat a lot from the SLU thread, these are signs, located on Linden rez zones, that keep a bus perpetually rezzed on that site, presumably to be ridden by somebody wandering by. They use the old trick of passing a copy of the rezzable contents to the newly rezzed instance, in order to always have rezzable inventory, and because the rez zones by definition have generous auto-return intervals, the constant re-rezzing never hits the grey-goo fence.

I'd nonetheless suppose that those "bus stop sign" rezzers occasionally fail to replicate and need to be replaced, but there's a whole fleet of those autonomous vehicles passing by, so they might be programmed to drop off replacement rezzers when needed.

Phil Deakins wrote:

These (BUS STOP signs):

Bus-stop.jpg

Those are all over on Linden Roads at rez locations. Clicking the sign will rez an ugly bus. Soon after rezzing the bus will start going on. :smileyfrustrated:

[Edit]

I rezzed one. Sat in. This is what happened:

[06:56] V-Metro City Bus V#1852 whispers: Request GO when safe.

[06:56] V-Metro City Bus V#1852 whispers: GOING

[06:56] V-Metro City Bus V#1852 whispers: Off road, scanning for roads

[06:56] V-Metro City Bus V#1852 whispers: Trying to locate a road.

High up in the air! After few minutes it was able to locate the lost road.  :smileylol:

Zaphod Kotobide wrote:

It's very likely also that many of the riders are folks like me, who realize that the only way to get rid of vehicles piled up at a region border is to jump on them so they come to life and continue their aimless travel down the road, and out of sight. I'm on and off in about 7 seconds. If that counts as a loyal rider, oh well. 

Thank you! I had no idea they worked that way, never having gotten aboard one. I can not only get rid of the monstrosity perched on my hedge, but maybe I can send the five or six piled up on my never-on-line neighbor's property on their way.

Of course, all that does is move the junk down the road to where it will be someone else's problem.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

You may have 300k newbs riding your crap (which we only have your word for) but you have interfered with the enjoyment of probably twice as many residents by littering vehicles all over their property, creating a general eyesore and blocking roads for people who want to ride their
own

To be fair, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be in this case, it's probable that the claimed vehicle riders were a mix of old and new users and not mostly noobs.
I say that because I feel sure that a great many old users have hopped on a vehicle just for the sake of it, and hopped off again a minute or less later. They aren't exactly claimable as passengers or riders but the vehicle system will add them just the same.

I've never seen anyone riding one of her vehicles, so I guess that just about everyone who hops on one, hops off again not many seconds later because the vehicles move excruciatingly slowly and zig and zag all over the place. They don't provide anything that could be considered acceptable as a 'ride'.

"I say that because I feel sure that a great many old users have hopped on a vehicle just for the sake of it, and hopped off again a minute or less later. They aren't exactly claimable as passengers or riders but the vehicle system will add them just the same."

I'm one of those who have done that so she can subtract me from the total.

AnnMarrie doesn't give a flying f*ck about this and wants to put the onus for the problem on Linden Lab, wanting Linden Lab to fix what SHE perceives is a problem with the No Entry system.  Maybe Linden Lab can do something to improve No Entry that would ameliorate the problem but her expectation that the Lab should drop what they are doing to improve it is misplaced.

She has stated previously in this thread that she wants us to take responsibility for deleting HER Vehicles.

Well, I am not logged in 24/7/365 nor am I present on my property 24/7/365.  So if a vehicle gets stuck it can be hours and hours and hours that it sits like a pimple on the tip of a nose for everyone to see till it gets dealt with.

They are your damn vehicles AnnMarie, not mine.  Start taking responsibility for them.

It's kind of like having a child.  If you can't handle taking care of one, don't have one.

Zaphod Kotobide wrote:

I'd say that method of determining loyal riders is on par with the one LL uses to count SL residents. *Grins*

Qie Niangao wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

To repeat a lot from the SLU thread, these are signs, located on Linden rez zones, that keep a bus perpetually rezzed on that site, presumably to be ridden by somebody wandering by. They use the old trick of passing a copy of the rezzable contents to the newly rezzed instance, in order to always have rezzable inventory, and because the rez zones by definition have generous auto-return intervals, the constant re-rezzing never hits the grey-goo fence.

One of the first places I lived in SL was on a sim called Galveston Island, Texas.  I LOVED that place!  It was a re-creation of the RL city and one of the first sims I'd seen that was like living in a real town.  I also greatly enjoyed the amusement park that was within walking distance from my home.

It was also the first place I saw something akin to bus stop rezzers although, in this case, they were trolley rezzers.  There were x number of trolley stops on the island.  At each stop, one waited until the trolley "arrived" (which I'm pretty sure were rezzed as I didn't see them coming down the street).  Back in 2007 that was so amazing to me.

The owner of the sim, or at least one of the owners (Atom Burma) apparently sold the sim to someone else, but his amazing amusement park rides can be found elsewhere in SL...errrr, the last time I looked.  *Makes note to check on that.*

Not suprising you didn't actually read what I wrote: the 'ambience' comment was an apology for my very abrupt and squared-off hedge (actually vine-covered wall). It's there to provide a visual barrier for those inside; makes it look a bit more park-like, at least to me. The comment had nothing to do with your vehicle being on my property.

No, I won't be sending you an IM. Here's my message: stop littering Second Life with your vehicles. In the meantime, I will continue to report your abuse when things like this happen—LL's ability to respond has nothing to do with it.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

own

To be fair, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be in this case, it's probable that the claimed vehicle riders were a mix of old and new users and not mostly noobs.
I say that because I feel sure that a great many old users have hopped on a vehicle just for the sake of it, and hopped off again a minute or less later. They aren't exactly claimable as passengers or riders but the vehicle system will add them just the same.

"I say that because I feel sure that a great many old users have hopped on a vehicle just for the sake of it, and hopped off again a minute or less later. They aren't exactly claimable as passengers or riders but the vehicle system will add them just the same."

AnnMarrie doesn't give a flying f*ck about this and wants to put the onus for the problem on Linden Lab, wanting Linden Lab to fix what SHE perceives is a problem with the No Entry system.  Maybe Linden Lab can do something to improve No Entry that would ameliorate the problem but her expectation that the Lab should drop what they are doing to improve it is misplaced.

She has stated previously in this thread that she wants us to take responsibility for deleting HER Vehicles.

Well, I am not logged in 24/7/365 nor am I present on my property 24/7/365.  So if a vehicle gets stuck it can be hours and hours and hours that it sits like a pimple on the tip of a nose for everyone to see till it gets dealt with.

They are your damn vehicles AnnMarie, not mine.  Start taking responsibility for them.

It's kind of like having a child.  If you can't handle taking care of one, don't have one.

Does not allowing object entry on parcels keep those things from getting stuck on one's land?   I'm thinking there should be some way to combat this situation.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

own

Does not allowing object entry on parcels keep those things from getting stuck on one's land?   I'm thinking there should be some way to combat this situation.

I'm not sure if it's in this thread (I don't feel like re-rereading 140 posts) or one of the other car threads she tries to explain away her responsibilty but apparently it is when her vehicles hit "no object entry boundaries" that the troubles start.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

A3123 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Having your ugly limo parked on the hedge really does NOT do anything for the ambiance, you know?

You're ambiance does not do much for the ambiance.

I know, or at least I think I know from reading comments and observing behavior, that trolling is its own reward. Thus by even acknowledgeing you I suppose I am gratifying your desires. So be it.

Look more closely next time. You need to buff up your punctuation and notice spelling errors in the posts to which you respond. It wion't make you any more attractive—you'll still be a troll—but it might serve to  inspire a fan base.

Interesting, rather than acknowledge how hideous you're contibutions to the mainland are, you pick apart spelling and grmmer. Vewy Intewesting Indee,

Oh, fascinating. You're not an average troll? You're an architecture critic and that glimpse of my build disturbed you so much you couldn't help but comment? Okay, I'll accept your criticism but only on certain conditions.

Your avatar's SL life started on the 5th of this month. In spite of having started Second Life as recently as the 5th of August, 2013, and having only arrived at the Forum on the 10th of August, you've already made your presence felt in the Answers Forum. You've even acquired 3 kudos for the wit and wisdom of your answers, you clever bunny!

In short, it is quite obvious you are hiding behind an alt. If you will respond to this thread with your REAL avatar (with a full admission in public that A3123 is your alt), I'll invite you to my hideous place on the mainland and let you take pictures to your heart's content so that you may thus expose me as the pathetic excuse for a builder I am.

I was partially successful, at least, thanks to your suggestion. I clicked 'Ride' for the limo perched on my wall and sure enough, it started twitching around, came down off the wall, rolled over three or four times, finally and seemed to find the Linden Road. I'd hoped to be able to use it to push the stuff in my neighbor's plot out of the way but 'driving' does not seem to be an option.

There were two seemingly identical ice cream trucks on my neighbor's plot. When I clicked 'Ride' on the first, it did start the wheels turning but nothing else happened and after 20 minutes (during which I'd left and come back more than once) nothing else had. The second seemed more promising: it actually gave me messages about 'trying to locate Linden Road' or some such, but it had a great deal of trouble seeing that elusive two-lane blacktop about 5 meters away. It finally fell off a small landscaping cliff and landed on its side. Refused to do a damn thing after. Standing, TP-ing home and walking back, kicking it: none of those had an effect. It merely lies on its side and ignores you.

Bottom line. The limo on my property is gone. The ice cream trucks on my neighbor's property are harder to see from the road. And the useability of AnnMarie's vehicles (assuming you are willing to accept them as a part of Second Life, which I manifestly am NOT) sucks. Three different vehicles, three different results for avatar clicking 'Ride'.

ETA: I replied to myself; I meant to reply to Zaphod, as it was his post that at least enabled me to get the limo off the wall.

Way Cool, I love stirring the pot :)  Are we having fun yet? Get those hearts pumping, put life back in SL :).

Some updates, explanations, corrections in no particular order.

For the fun of it, I think I'll install a booth you can visit and it will tell you how many times you have ridden my vehicles.  The average number of rides is over 2 per person with the majority only 1 so I think it is the large number of REPEAT customers that is the interesting statistic.  Many are over 100 rides.

QUOTE Does not allowing object entry on parcels keep those things from getting stuck on one's land?   I'm thinking there should be some way to combat this situation. 

Answer, yes it "should" work but it frequently fails due to a bug.  I've finally had an official response from the Lindens. Although they acknowledge that object no-entry fails they have indicated that they do not intend to fix it.  As a consequence I'm "taking responsibility" as requested.  I have a list of parcel LMs were vehicles are getting trapped due to this bug.  One of my alts will visit those locations at least once a week and remove any stuck vehicles.  If you have a location like this, send me the LM and I will put it on the list.  If you don't want to be on the list, no problem.  Since it is a recognized SL bug they are not responding to ARs on it.

Vehicles get stuck if they enter land with scripts disabled, it even disables the self destruct script.  One effective solution is to turn scripts on, they can then get back to the road by themselves, or die in the process.

Due to a LL provision made for vehicles (driving or flying), scripts WILL run even if in a NO-SCRIPT parcel so long as the vehicle has a passenger.  If you click on a stuck vehicle and become a passenger the scripts will run so long as you remain in it until it gets back to land were scripts are enabled.  If you jump ship they will stop again.

Although I've given away over 50,000 vehicles and sold a small number, sales are too low to bother with it.  When I get time I will discontinue leasing the script or selling vehicles.  Vehicles are a very minor portion of my activities in SL.

My bus stop rezzer signs have been around for over 2 years with no problems but only in the last few months have they been added to most rez zones.  In a few places like dead ends and parking lots with tons of spare prims they maintain a live bus but 99% are rez on demand.  Busses are NOT rezzed on a timer.  Although some Lindens are aware of them they (understandably) will not discuss them.

Qui, I love your suggestion of having passing vehicles replace missing bus stop signs, that's brilliant.  Currently it takes a bot about 2 hours.  That will be a major reduction in down time, typically happening after a sim restart.

My offer stands.

You've made pretty clear in your earlier reply here that A3123 is an alt: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/BIG-DAY-TODAY-passenger-number-200-000-riding-my-vehicles/m-p/2138803/highlight/true#M121864

I'm Dillon Levenque. Have been since I got here. Will be until I leave.

Who are you?

Edited

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.