BIG DAY TODAY, passenger number 200,000 riding my vehicles.

Canoro Philipp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Zaphod Kotobide wrote:

I am among those who have ridden well more than 10 times, but that has been to get them the hell on their way.

What are the ride durations? 10 seconds? 7?

Somehow I just don't buy your numbers. I have never seen anyone in those cars. Ever. 

The numbers are completely plausible. It didn't take me long before I found 1. The skill is how you interpret the numbers, if you ask me.

As I have tried the vehicles, I got to experience what the average user is going to experience. So, I'm the typical user that was curious, tried it, and probably won't ever try it again. The first time I tried, I went about 50 feet, had to go thru a construction site, and the bus went off into some1's house. I jumped off while in some1's bedroom. Thank god they weren't there. I had to try again. My total was probably 3. Basically, you can't count the first 3. Beyond 3, would be doing it cause you like them, or you have to deal with them. Maybe you could up that number to make up for those that have to move them. I'm guessing that is near 120k, which is a piss poor average. Even 5% using them over and over would be something decent, but we are only talking like 1.5%, or something like that.

Personally, I don't think it is a bad idea. I do have many concerns about how they are coded to work. Like, why are there ever vehicles with no1 in them on the road? Why would you do that? If no1 is in them, they should delete automatically. As soon as some1 stands up, they should delete. My coder and I created basically an animated vehicle that you rez from my AO. Imagine if we didn't have it delete when they stood up. If you are leaving them out because you want to show them off, then I think that is a very bad move. I fought with my coder about our animals staying out all the time, but I gave in cause they stay on the users land. This is not any1's land. This is a classic "tragedy of the commons" situation. Because no1 owns the land, people seek to use it up for their benefit, and no1 is responsible for the upkeep.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, well the only other numbers I have are the live occupancy percentages but that number is only updated once every 10 minutes to give an average over time.  When I first introduced the vehicles it ran in the 3 to 6% range but in recent times it varies from zero to about 3%.

HOWEVER, I don't need to justify their existence just as the thousands of empty shopping malls, empty dance clubs, empty renal houses, empty billboards don't need to justify their existence.  I would continue to brighten up the empty SL roads even if they didn't accept passengers.

I'm quite proud of the achievement and the notoriety I receive.  I'm a household swear word the length and breadth of SL :).  When I started, the doomsayers said the Lindens would have to ban the unoccupied vehicles when the roads became clogged with traffic jams.  LMAO, not a single competition for realistic vehicles on the roads in 5 years, where is everyone?  Lets go for RL realism.

On the other side of the equation, it does seem that those that are delighted with the vehicles send me IMs, those that are pissed vent in forums.

From the otherside :

You, madam, overestimate your chances.

If one considers SL holds millions of accounts and a far greater number of logins, please explain this benefit you bring again by ratio. I think the number of rides would be as neglectable as they should be considered throughout. It's far more telling how many people do NOT use them instead of mentioning those that do.

I remain convinced the roads are a better place without them. Not with them.

If LL wants to drop the cheap look and crappyness they don't want to be affiliated with, these cars of yours should go first.

The Numbers :

Average of 50K logins per day means 91,250,000 logins in 5 years in total. Compared to 300,000 rides.

1.  Number of rides 0.33 % of total amount of logins.
  2. The number of people actually using your vehicles compared to all those logins would be about 0.11 %.

Give or take .. :robotindifferent:

Kinda irrelevant, isn't it ?

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

95,180 have ridden from 2 to 10 times

AnnMarie, from that number (95,180) you can minus one person. That's me.  :smileyindifferent:

You know, I didn't actually had a long ride on your vehicles. One day I saw that there was a pile of six vehicles by the road side. What I did was that I hopped into one vehicle. Amazingly at once it woke up from its sleep and started search for the road. Even more amazing was that while I was on it, it finally managed to get back on the road.

Ok, I thought that now I can clear the whole mess by that same method. I sat on each vehicle in turn; every one of them woke up immediately and started to search for the road. And every single vehicle were able to get back on the road. Some were in deep ditch it looked like it would be impossible for them to get up. But they indeed managed to find the road.

Now I'm waiting for my comission for the time I spent in this good deed. :smileyhappy: :smileytongue:

As has been REPEATEDLY pointed out, there is a fundamental and critical difference between your vehicles and the thousands of empty shopping malls, dance clubs, rental houses and billboards. Those latter items live on the parcels their owners PAY for. YOUR garbage ends up piling up on parcels YOU DO NOT OWN. Your shi7 ends up on OTHER PEOPLE's land, and YOU DON'T GIVE A SHI7 about it. 

HUGE difference, Ms. Otoole. HUGE.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

HOWEVER, I don't need to justify their existence just as the thousands of empty shopping malls, empty dance clubs, empty renal houses, empty billboards don't need to justify their existence.  I would continue to brighten up the empty SL roads even if they didn't accept passengers.

Unfortunately, the dead vehicles stick in one spot like a sore thumb until removed.  However compared to the overall picture they are an insignificant statistic.  My alt visits about 50 sites that are or have been problem locations and clears about 25 dead vehicles a week.  Perhaps other dedicated souls clear another 25 for 50 a week = say 250 a month.  Out of 30 million sim crossings per month that is a darned good reliability.

It is very rare that the landowner complains, in fact I contact them about the problem and they rarely respond.  Those that do respond are typically willing to help.  The ones that complain are on forums like this who are jealous of me using public facilities that we ALL pay for although it costs us nothing.  I ran 1.5 to 2 sims for many years although I'm cutting back slowly and down below 1 sim now.  That's why roads and public land was created, TO BE USED.  LL should pay me for pioneering the addition of life to sims.

As I get time I make changes at trouble spots to correct them but they actually go away by themselves, I suspect as regions move to new servers, only to appear somewhere else, perhaps when that region ends up on a suspect server?

Why are so many people pissed off over some stuck vehicles that are not even on their land if the landowners don't care.  Perhaps SL needs to create the FWPF, the Frustrated Would-be Police Force so they can wear a badge and arrest people.  Hut hut hut, Get AnnMarie.  ROTF.  Grow up kids.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Look at the numbers, average number of rides per person is 3. 

Not counting me and my alts, 7 people have ridden over 1,000 times

43 have ridden over 100 times,

2331 have ridden more than 10 times,

95,180 have ridden from 2 to 10 times

55,154 have ridden only once.

So to answer your comment, only 19% have ridden only once and over 80% chose to ride again.

(I have names and addresses.)

I wonder how many of those are script errors in your favor?

So many ways to interpret the numbers.

We could read them as the number of mentally deficient people who have chosen to ride your vehicles more than once.

(yes, i'll confess to a few momentary lapses of sanity)

Here would be something for you to collate.  How many of those are people who actually reside on (pay for) the Mainland?  While it is true the roads are set for public access it is still those of us who Pay for Mainland who keep it (and hence the roads) going.

Perrie Juran wrote:

<SNN

Here would be something for you to collate.  How many of those are people who actually reside on (pay for) the Mainland?  While it is true the roads are set for public access it is still those of us who Pay for Mainland who keep it (and hence the roads) going.

No way.  Membership and land costs are exactly the same for regions with and regions without roads.  You pay no extra for roadside land.  The membership fees would be identical if they didn't have roads.  What about the millions of members who play free?  Should they pay a road tax?

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

<SNN

No way.  Membership and land costs are exactly the same for regions with and regions without roads.  You pay no extra for roadside land.  The membership fees would be identical if they didn't have roads.  What about the millions of members who play free?  Should they pay a road tax?

I know not every region on the Mainland has public roads. 

And I live on a Region that has public roads.  And actually, I am glad that they exist on the Mainland.

My neighbors and I have things on our properties that are open for any one passing by to enjoy.

We actually love that people get enjoyment from what we offer.

But one thing that our builds don't do is encroach on any one elses property.

And BTW, I do enjoy your choice of the word "ridden" in your statistcs.

Definition of RIDDEN

1: harassed, oppressed, or obsessed by —usually used in combination <guilt-ridden> <debt-ridden>

2: excessively full of or supplied with —usually used in combination <slum-ridden>

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

I'm quite proud of the achievement and the notoriety I receive.  I'm a household swear word the length and breadth of SL
:)
.  When I started, the doomsayers said the Lindens would have to ban the unoccupied vehicles when the roads became clogged with traffic jams.  LMAO, not a single competition for realistic vehicles on the roads in 5 years, where is everyone?  Lets go for RL realism.

Most griefers seem pretty proud of their notoriety and achievements as well. You have no "competition" because everyone on the grid, except you, realizes what a ridiculous product your cars are. I am going to venture a guess that you don't take into consideration the MANY vehicles that require someone to get in them to move them on their way. You count those as riders. In the technical sense, I suppose they are, they ride for mere seconds-or minutes if they really want your **bleep** out of their way, but it isn't to ENJOY the product. So, you're not adding any enjoyment. You add frustration.

What separates you from a griefer? The answer is nothing. You do nothing to aid the problems your products create. You create huge problems on many sims the grid over. You annoy the crap out of people. You have absolutely, and show absolutely no concern for the questions, comments and problems people bring to you. You don't care that you are as much of a nuisance as any other griefer. You're actually proud that the only reason people know your name anywhere in sl, is because you annoy the living crap out of them, and piss them off.

Yep, that makes you a griefer, in every sense of the word.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Unfortunately, the dead vehicles stick in one spot like a sore thumb until removed.  However compared to the overall picture they are an insignificant statistic.  My alt visits about 50 sites that are or have been problem locations and clears about 25 dead vehicles a week.  Perhaps other dedicated souls clear another 25 for 50 a week = say 250 a month.  Out of 30 million sim crossings per month that is a darned good reliability.

It is very rare that the landowner complains, in fact I contact them about the problem and they rarely respond.  Those that do respond are typically willing to help.  The ones that complain are on forums like this who are jealous of me using public facilities that we ALL pay for although it costs us nothing.  I ran 1.5 to 2 sims for many years although I'm cutting back slowly and down below 1 sim now.  That's why roads and public land was created, TO BE USED.  LL should pay me for pioneering the addition of life to sims.

As I get time I make changes at trouble spots to correct them but they actually go away by themselves, I suspect as regions move to new servers, only to appear somewhere else, perhaps when that region ends up on a suspect server?

Why are so many people pissed off over some stuck vehicles that are not even on their land if the landowners don't care.  Perhaps SL needs to create the FWPF, the Frustrated Would-be Police Force so they can wear a badge and arrest people.  Hut hut hut, Get AnnMarie.  ROTF.  Grow up kids.

You ma'am are a moron. There is nothing insignificant about your products causing a pileup where they don't belong. That is why you're equated with a griefer. You think everyone else needs to do your work for you and it's obnoxious at best. Maybe people care about land they don't own because they simply care. I know that's a difficult concept for you to understand, but it's true. I look after a friend's land now and again when he can't be in sl. I've had to remove your dumbass vehicles from his land too. By your logic, I shouldn't care, it's not my land. I DO care though. Do you really think people shouldn't care about the appearance of the land around them, at all? That's stupid. People in rl care as well, even in areas they don't own, don't live in and have no vested interest in. It's called respecting others, and respecting the world around you. Even if the world is imaginary, pixelated and not real, many people still care. I no more like going around mainland and finding huge fugly ass builds with ads on them or builds people put up to try and get others to move out, than I like seeing your vehicles. If I, personally, had a way to remove every single product you have ever created from the grid, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd also ban your account as deep as I possibly could.

You Are A Griefer. Plain and simple.

The facts that you don't care, don't want to fix what's wrong, want everyone else to make your vehicles work properly(or fix them when they don't) and think all of the complaints and garbage your products create are insignificant tells us this.

When even newbies know to avoid your vehicles, and get pissed off by them, there is clearly a problem. There is nothing special about being a household curse word, there really isn't. It's shameful you think otherwise. You think everyone else around you needs to grow up when it's clear to everyone around you, by your own words, that you have the immaturity of a very young teenager. It's your way, or no way. They're your products and you won't fix them. When they pileup, it's someone else's problem. When presented with a problem, you flip the feck out. That doesn't sound very grown up to me.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

You've got to admit I'm good at stirring up activity in forums

"Should we tell him he's not churning butter."

"No way. He's got his nose so far up his ass, he'll keep the manure pit from cluttering up."

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Here's what I don't get: empty shopping malls, dance clubs, I think you meant "rental houses" (I'm shuddering over what a "renal house" would be), billboards, etc. all have to be on land where someone is paying tier or LL would take the land back.  I don't understand how your vehicles have open access to Governor Linden owned land.   If I step over the boundary in my water sim from the parcel I rent to Linden ocean I can't rez a boat; one step back on my land and I can.

I'm one of the people who have been in SL for 6+ years and have never seen one of your vehicles, much less rode on one, in case you want to figure that into your stats. ;)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Here's what I don't get: empty shopping malls, dance clubs, I think you meant "rental houses" (I'm shuddering over what a "renal house" would be), billboards, etc. all have to be on land where someone is paying tier or LL would take the land back.  I don't understand how your vehicles have open access to Governor Linden owned land.   If I step over the boundary in my water sim from the parcel I rent to Linden ocean I can't rez a boat; one step back on my land and I can.

I'm one of the people who have been in SL for 6+ years and have never seen one of your vehicles, much less rode on one, in case you want to figure that into your stats.
;)

LMAO, yes I did mean rental.

EVERYONE and everyone's objects have access to public lands, its no special endowment just for me.  If you have not encountered public roads then you would not have encountered my vehicles that bring life and realism to the roads.

Most Linden oceans are accessible so if you can't sail your boat there, you are probably unfortunate to have land at the edge of the continent, or the adjacent ocean is privately owned.  Also private islands are isolated in an inaccessible sea. 

Although it appears that open space is all ocean it is not accessible unless it exists on a sim. 

If ever I start counting those who have not ridden on my vehicles, your name will be at the top of the list.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

I'm one of the people who have been in SL for 6+ years and have never seen one of your vehicles, much less rode on one, in case you want to figure that into your stats.
;)

LMAO, yes I did mean rental.

EVERYONE and everyone's objects have access to public lands, its no special endowment just for me.  If you have not encountered public roads then you would not have encountered my vehicles that bring life and realism to the roads.

Most Linden oceans are accessible so if you can't sail your boat there, you are probably unfortunate to have land at the edge of the continent, or the adjacent ocean is privately owned.  Also private islands are isolated in an inaccessible sea. 

Although it appears that open space is all ocean it is not accessible unless it exists on a sim. 

If ever I start counting those who have not ridden on my vehicles, your name will be at the top of the list.

Starting with your last comment....I feel special now; it's been a rough week so I needed that. :matte-motes-wink:

I have been on several of the public roads during my time in SL; off the top of my head (not sure I can recall the names correctly) I've been on the one that goes through a lot of the old continent, have been on the old mainland sims such as Boardman and one or two of the Novia Albion sims, I traversed a great deal of the SL version of The Wall of China on horseback (did that one over time), several of the Bay City Sims, and whatever road it is that goes by Dillon's place.  I love mainland and actually need to get out of the house more...heh.  I just never thought one could rez items anywhere on Gov. Linden land...of course I never tried either.  I do recall seeing in threads people noting where "rez zones" exist in various areas for those who wish to rez a vehicle.  Which brings something else to mind...

...the parcel of land I am on isn't at the end of a continent...there are wide open oceans on two sides of my parcel that continue a long distance when I shrink the map, but re: my mention of rez zones above...it just occurred to me that I can rez a boat on my land and then sail it out into the Linden ocean, I just can't start out rezzing it there.

*Makes note to start getting out on mainland to figure out what I can rez where*

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

my vehicles that bring life and realism to the roads.

Right, because all over RL roads we see cars, buses and trucks piled on top of buildings...

I certainly don't wish to encourage more senseless SL littering, but RL is not without evidence.

Here's something from my home state of Wisconsin, which I've marveled at several times in passing...

Truck in Tree.jpg

And here are two reasons I wish I'd been able to study engineering at MIT...

Fire Truck on MIT Dome.jpg

Squad Car on MIT Dome.gif 

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

You've got to admit I'm good at stirring up activity in forums

You're not, truth to tell, but it's interesting that you claimed that ability. That's what Forum trolls live for: the number of views and above all the number of responses to their posts. You didn't even come close to getting into serious troll competition, but then I don't think you're a troll.

You are someone who thought he/she came up with this cool idea. You've promulgated the idea throughout Linden mainland. Your clever idea is roundly despised. YOU are roundly despised. Yet you continue to impede upon the rest of Second Life's residents as if you are somehow special.

The forum population is a tiny fraction of Second Life's resident population. We know that. Even so, that small fraction is a representative sample of Second Life residents, or at least those residents who have been here long enough to learn the basics and realize the basics will lead to more learning. In other words, those residents who will STAY.

Read the responses to this thread. The percentage of favorable replies is probably very close to the percentage of knowledgable Second Life residents who enjoy the 'life' your vehicles add to Mainland. Your arrogance is beyond belief. There are only two possible reasons for your continuing this pattern of behavior.

One possibility (and I discount it) is that you are so incredibly stupid you aren't able to grasp the fact almost everyone hates your gig. Based on your replies in this thread and on your vehicles, I do NOT think that is the case. I think that  you are clearly not a stupid person.

That leaves the second possibility: you know you're irritating people all over mainland but you keep doing it just because for some reason LL lets you get away with it (most of the theories as to why that is true mirror mine) and you really enjoy pissing people off. In short:

You're a griefer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.