BIG DAY TODAY, passenger number 200,000 riding my vehicles.

Canoro Philipp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If her vehicles were a realistic size she might get a little less flack because of them. The last picture of one that was posted in this thread shows how incredibly oversized they are - taking up most of the width of the road - which means they almost always get in people's way because there's no telling which way they'll go when you're trying to manoeuvre past them.

Shortening trip lengths isn't an issue because nobody uses them for trips and rides. I've seen loads of her vehicles but I've never seen anyone on one. The only reason she keeps them going is because it's her baby and she loves her baby. It's not because anyone actually uses them for rides and trips.

The idea is excellent but she hasn't succeeded with it and, because of the SL system, it isn't possible to create a successful system. Or, if it is, AnnMarie certainly isn't capable of doing it. All she's managed to do is get in people's way and litter the mainland.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one major difference between my "safety net" and the one suggested that I'm testing.

My system detects the hazard and attempts to prevent the vehicle entering.

The "new" approach lets it enter but destroys it.

I'm going to marry the two systems so it tries to save the vehicle but if it fails THEN it times out with TOR.

Re the comment that the vehicles are too big, their size is primarily governed by the passengers.  Its only with special "sit" poses that avatars can ride in many of them without their feet dragging on the ground.  It is a fact that avatars are too big causing everything else to compensate.

Its only with special "sit" poses that avatars can ride in many of them without their feet dragging on the ground. 

Yes, and that may come as a surprise to folks who've never built their own physical vehicle: such a vehicle's physics is augmented with that of the seated avatar(s). This certainly surprised me the first time I encountered it.  Indeed, it is to enable use in physical vehicles that many poses offset the avatar so radically from the agent location, especially vertically.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Re the comment that the vehicles are too big, their size is primarily governed by the passengers.  Its only with special "sit" poses that avatars can ride in many of them without their feet dragging on the ground.  It is a fact that avatars are too big causing everything else to compensate.

Then remove them from the roads. If you can't make vehicles to suit the size of the roads, don't make them at all. It's you who is at fault for making them so big that they cover the majority of the road, and not the size of avatars. Avatar sizes aren't a problem though, because nobody rides in the vehicles. Apparently, many people hop on briefly but nobody actually rides in them.

It's rather good, isn't it? A brand new forum user just happens to find this thread, read it to get the gist of it, and post a positive comment about the trash vehicles - and then post no more. Heck, I hope nobody notices or we'll be getting that sort of thing cropping up quite often .... oh. We do get that sort of thing cropping up quite often :matte-motes-confused:

Phil Deakins wrote:

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Then remove them from the roads. If you can't make vehicles to suit the size of the roads, don't make them at all. It's you who is at fault for making them so big that they cover the majority of the road, and not the size of avatars. Avatar sizes aren't a problem though, because nobody rides in the vehicles. Apparently, many people hop on briefly but nobody actually rides in them.

That was my point earlier. The vehicles are huge and the size alone makes them harder to navigate. As I said earlier in this thread, I would have started with little 2 person scooters or gocarts

Phil Deakins wrote:

because nobody rides in the vehicles. Apparently, many people hop on briefly but nobody actually rides in them

Yep I agree. Every one of her vehicles that I see driving on the roads and waterways "never" have a rider. I would say 98% of the rides are suckered rides because someone just happened to click/touch it.. It's like Haha! Sucker! You clicked me!

snow bus_001.jpg

OK, this one was kind of cute to watch. 

It must have slipped on some ice, run off the road, floated across the water and now it's stuck spinning its wheels trying to make it up the snow bank.

I guess the passengers didn't want to risk hypothermia pushing it up the snow bank and just left it there.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oberstdorf/141/149/85

oh, it's on Linden/Maintenance protected land

and those coordinates sure don't look like anything near a SIM crossing.

eta, the road way, not in the picture, runs parallel with the waterway, across from where the bus is.

Perrie Juran wrote:

dinner_003.jpg

TDD123 wrote:

All that beauty and no roadkill in sight.

The sheer travesty ... :robotindifferent:

Where do you think I find all my Troobles?

You don't think I'd actually kill one myself do you? 
;)

Well, then it appears that AnnMarie's vehicles do serve some purpose...

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

dinner_003.jpg

TDD123 wrote:

All that beauty and no roadkill in sight.

The sheer travesty ... :robotindifferent:

Where do you think I find all my Troobles?

You don't think I'd actually kill one myself do you? 
;)

Well, then it appears that AnnMarie's vehicles do serve some purpose...

I'll give up roast Troobles in exchange for not seeing another pile up.

You know that number is meaningless. How many rode for more than just a few seconds? It's one thing to jump on out of curiosity. It's another thing entirely to become engaged with the experience. Your boasting is deceptive and self serving.

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

Number 300,000 coming up in a few days.

Look at the numbers, average number of rides per person is 3. 

Not counting me and my alts, 7 people have ridden over 1,000 times

43 have ridden over 100 times,

2331 have ridden more than 10 times,

95,180 have ridden from 2 to 10 times

55,154 have ridden only once.

So to answer your comment, only 19% have ridden only once and over 80% chose to ride again.

(I have names and addresses.)

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

So to answer your comment, only 19% have ridden only once and over 80% chose to ride again.

Your math's a little off.

7 + 43 + 2,331 + 95,180 + 55,154 = 152,715.

55,154, the number of people who have ridden once, is 36.11564024490063% of 152,715.

ETA: 80% would be 122,172.

I am among those who have ridden well more than 10 times, but that has been to get them the hell on their way.

What are the ride durations? 10 seconds? 7?

Somehow I just don't buy your numbers. I have never seen anyone in those cars. Ever. 

AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.