Annoying phrases?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I don't know a person, and they call me something like "love" or "hun" and I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, or them being condescending, that can get to me. If I understand it to just be something they say, then I'm fine with it.

The whole "boi" thing on male subs confused me at the start in SL.. Where I'm from, that's just the phonetic spelling of how we greet guys where I'm from. It's an every so slightly different pronounciation from "boy". If it's being elongated, the spelling (for those that bother writing in their accent, which admittedly I will sometimes do) changes to "bai". Again, this is a cultural thing. I'm unusual because I *don't* generally call males "boi" (or females "girl" or "gurl"). It's not considered condescending or belittling, it's just part of our culture and accent to address people that way.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many to recall, but off the top of my head:

Cya

TC

LMFAOOOOOOOO

U / UR (way to sound moronic)

"Hi" (as a stand-alone it doesn't make me want to talk to you)

"How are you?"  (from a complete stranger.  Ok, i know i'm a curmudgeon but even when written correctly i don't like it; I never know how to respond.  Should i lie and say, "fine, thank you"?  That's just not me.  Or should i answer truthfully?  You don't know me, you don't need to know, so don't ask me!)

It makes me cringe when someone uses the word "myself" incorrectly.. like " John, Mary and myself went to the shop". Does anyone ever watch 'Ghost Hunters' or 'Ghost Hunters International'? The next time you watch one of those goofy programs.. keep your ears open.. they don't know how to use relective pronouns correctly. Ok.. sounds nitpicky I know..

Phrases:

"Ok, love you, bye bye."

"giggles"

"She's been working really hard for you so show her some linden lovin'.." (working hard? doing what? Avatar dancing on stage while she does the dishes in rl? (too much? sorry to the hostesses, but, "it is what it is" <- that's another one)

"hit up my naughty box"... hitting up a naughty box sounds sort of .. perverted..and a little painful

brb

I asked a friend what it means...took her ages to reply............

Seriously, what does it mean? A couple of minutes? an hour? next tuesday?  So I will just stop everything and wait..........

Your World, Your Imagination.

No, maybe all alone on a private sim.

As soon as two or more people are involved, it has become Our Shared Imagination. Our World.

And unless you have created your own skin, shape, eyes, ao, sky, wind, ground, clothing, sounds, etc, it is very much not your world, your imagination.

Plus it gets said too often and has lost whatever charm it may have had, if any. 

yes is quite hard when people do that. like try turn a conversation about a topic into a chat about you or them by making assertions that appeal to some higher something something

is ok if people want to chat about themselves or even other people if they want. is just that i kinda think wut??? wut??? when it happens in a convo about a thing

like when someone says there is rainbows on the moon

and someone else says blah blah idiot blah blah common sense tells you blah blah blah as a matter of fact blah blah blah idiot blah blah i know what i am talking about blah blah blah idiot blah is obvious blah blah blah idiot blah blah trust me on this blah de blah de blah blah blah. oh! aaaaaaand blah blah blah blah blah so there

when i see this i think wut??? wut??? wtf??? wut??? . i just dont say it. well not most times. the blah blah blah blah parts actual make more sense to me. like i just think of the homeric thing. like simpson. and i start laughing   (: 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Common sense.

What is common in one locale may not be so common or even true in another.

And why do people say "common" when the intended meaning is "good?"

Just because it is "common" that does make it "good?"

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

text speak... anytime . I can't stand seeing HRU, cul8tr, ne1, and the thousands of others used in the forums and in SL itself. I don't care how smart you actually are, no one wants to decipher text in a conversation.

i can't stand text speak either when proper words that most people can understand would be better 

i also get annoyed when people Type With A Capital Letter At The Begining Of Every Word While It's Not As Bad As Text Speak It Still Takes Effort To Figure Out What Someones Typed

Perrie Juran wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Common sense.

What is common in one locale may not be so common or even true in another.

And why do people say "common" when the intended meaning is "good?"

Just because it is "common" that does make it "good?"

It just don't make no sense at tall.

I never realized so many are annoyed by hun. : o I need to limit myself on those then. : )

Adding some more sl-related-

That 'I LOVE THIS SONG' gesture that is old as dirt. I heard it on my frist sl day and it never dies out. Along with that annoying baby laugh gesture.

Most 'meme' sayings are also addable. 'u mad', 'cool story bro', etc. Really its not that hard to come up with something new.

Also wow this thread exploded.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.