Why I gave up my home

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is currently a problem with how the server decides the spot to rez stuff that is dragged from inventory (raycast)

linden are aware of it. and are workingonit. they tried to fix something else and end up breaking the raycast for rezzing 

the fix at the moment is to move your camera view: hold down ALT key and left mouse then zoom to change the view angle away from your parcel boundary. i have linden home and is what i have to do

eta: away meaning: the camera is looking into the parcel from the boundary

Yeah, I've been having a hell of a time the past few days on my estate parcel. I'll try to rezz stuff and it will leave inventory and not show up, so I've had to log off, clear cache, log on and try again.

16 wrote:

they tried to fix something else and end up breaking the raycast for rezzing

Gee, what a surprise.:matte-motes-mad:

16 wrote:

is currently a problem with how the server decides the spot to rez stuff that is dragged from inventory (raycast)

linden are aware of it. and are workingonit. they tried to fix something else and end up breaking the raycast for rezzing 

the fix at the moment is to move your camera view: hold down ALT key and left mouse then zoom to change the view angle away from your parcel boundary. i have linden home and is what i have to do

eta: away meaning: the camera is looking into the parcel from the boundary

And the problem has been going on for at least of couple of weeks now.  I can imagine it is extremely frustrating to the home owners trying to work around the issue.

Rasputtin Szczepanski wrote:

Ok - my Linden granted home lasted about ten minutes.

As soon as I was prevented from putting down furniture...IN MY HOME...I abandoned it.

Just venting...but really.  Come on.

I heard someone say "wear" the object, right click on and pick "drop" if you really need to get the object down. The problem stop for me before I could try it. :)

Brenda Connolly wrote:

Yeah, I've been having a hell of a time the past few days on my estate parcel. I'll try to rezz stuff and it will leave inventory and not show up, so I've had to log off, clear cache, log on and try again.

That sounds like something different to what 16 meant. The problem she meant is trying to drag something from your inventory, it not rezzing, and you getting the message that the land owner doesn't allow it. It's because the end point of where you tried to rez it is on the next parcel and the process doesn't recognise objects in between where it should rez, such as a floor or wall.

I live on a mainland parcel and have not had this issue (yet).  I've been building tonight and rezzing all kinds of things both at land level and 2000m high, plus in my home at 4000m.

Glad I read this in case it does start happening to me.  And I agree - when I began in 2007 all the regular "quirks" such as shoe up the rear were not only expected, but made for great comedy.

I've had this problem once myself on my mainland parcel. A simple relog fixed it for me. Let's hope LL manages to fix it so it doesn't happen for everybody who can not make it go away that easily.

ETA: I meant to reply to the OP, but the forum software screwed it up...

- Luc -

Phil Deakins wrote:

It's the green Reply button on the bottom-left of the page that's screwed up. It should reply to the OP but it doesn't unless you're on the first page.

Yes, that button is screwed up!  I was once surprised as I pressed that button and the reply was not directed to the OP as it should have been.

I hope that they "un-screw" the screwed up button soon.  :smileyfrustrated:  :smileytongue:

yes

is 2 different problems

the 2nd one that brenda is describing as well, also happens on my linden homes sim some days. is a pita as well that one

you try to rez and it just doesnt. so you do again. and again. and again. sometimes nothing happens and have to relog. other times is like a big delay then you get upto one for each time you tried. but sometimes less

dont know why. it just goes like that sometimes

when is happening combined with the 1st problem then can make you a bit crazy 

16 wrote:

yes

is 2 different problems

the 2nd one that brenda is describing as well, also happens on my linden homes sim some days. is a pita as well that one

you try to rez and it just doesnt. so you do again. and again. and again. sometimes nothing happens and have to relog. other times is like a big delay then you get upto one for each time you tried. but sometimes less

when is happening combined with the 1st problem then can make you a bit crazy 

Maybe it accounts for many of the people who use SL ;)

LittleMe Jewell wrote:

I can imagine it is extremely frustrating to the home owners trying to work around the issue.

can be. i really only get mad when i spent my stipend on something i been waiting to get for ages. and when i get home it wont rez. am not good to be next to then. i start throw things. boxes, laptops, sofas, chocolate cakes, peanut brownies, people, the whole house even. and thats just in reals 

jejejejejeejejeje (:

16 wrote:

... am not good to be next to then. i start throw things. boxes, laptops, sofas, chocolate cakes, peanut brownies, people, the whole house even. and thats just in reals  ...

/me takes note not to ever piss 16 off  :smileysurprised:

sLo_BigBearHug.gif

Phil Deakins wrote:

Brenda Connolly wrote:

That sounds like something different to what 16 meant. The problem she meant is trying to drag something from your inventory, it not rezzing, and you getting the message that the land owner doesn't allow it. It's because the end point of where you tried to rez it is on the next parcel and the process doesn't recognise objects in between where it should rez, such as a floor or wall.

I've been getting that as well, as well as logging back in to find multiple copies of the previously non rezzed items.

It's like 2007 all over again. Now we just need to bring back Manitenance Wednesdays.

Yeah, there are at least a couple of distinct problems triggered by this raycasting error that misinterprets the location of a rezzing attempt.

One is the failed rezzing itself, but then there's the peculiar handling of the thing that failed to rez.  If it's no-copy, instead of remaining in Inventory, it goes on some strange walkabout, disappearing altogether, perhaps to reappear upon relog--or perhaps not.

That latter misbehavior is consistent with another content-destroying oddity introduced a few months ago when they tightened up parcel object permissions: push an object across a sim border into a no-object-entry parcel and it just vanishes--no return to Lost & Found, no getting stuck at the border, no error message, just abracadabra: now you see it, now you don't.

There's also another problem mentioned here  that has gotten progressively more common in the past few months: delayed rezzing. That's not causally related to the raycast error, but it's another way that rezzing can either fail or appear to fail.

16 wrote:

yes

is 2 different problems

The issue of an item taking many tries to get it rezzed (and if it is 'copy' you end up with many of them eventually) is something I experience any time my sim is lagging bad or my own SL connection seems to be slow.  If it is my connection, sometimes a relog will fix it, but if it is sim or overall SL performance, then nothing fixes it until the underlying performance issue is cleared.

16 wrote:

LittleMe Jewell wrote:

I can imagine it is extremely frustrating to the home owners trying to work around the issue.

i start throw things. <stuff> chocolate cakes, peanut brownies, <more stuff>

OMG, not the sweets........ the poor sweets......... not sure being the victim of random throwing is what they meant when they said chocolate is a comfort food.

:womanlol:

Qie Niangao wrote:

There's also another problem mentioned here  that has gotten progressively more common in the past few months:
delayed
rezzing. That's not causally related to the raycast error, but it's another way that rezzing can either fail or appear to fail.

Something that can also appear as if it's that is a client issue with v3. Things will rez, but the textures are invisible. So it seems like it's failed to rez, but the item is actually there. A workaround is to select the area with the edit tool. It'll highlight the hidden object and the textures will become visible again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.