Viewer-Managed Marketplace Released: Migration Begins July 23, 2015

[ Edited ]

We've put up a new blog post with definitive dates for migration from Direct Delivery to VMM.

[Update August 3, 2015] All Direct Delivery listings have now been migrated to Viewer-Managed Marketplace(VMM), and the VMM-enabled viewer is now the default Release download.

Thank you everyone for your patience during the migration.

Topics: 86

Re: Viewer-Managed Marketplace Released: Migration Begins July 23, 2015

Reply to CommerceTeam Linden - view message

The assumption then is that VMM RC will be promoted to the defacto release prior to the 23rd?

I am the mother flippin, snuggly wuggly Pwincess Buttacwup..what else do you need to know?
Highlighted
Linden

Reply to seanabrady - view message

seanabrady wrote:

The assumption then is that VMM RC will be promoted to the defacto release prior to the 23rd?

Probably not because we've just done a promotion and we don't feel we need to push a new update on everyone immediately just to get it to Merchants, but it's available now and we don't know of any problems with it.

It is first in line for the next promotion though assuming that nothing really bad happens.

Honored Resident

Reply to CommerceTeam Linden - view message

A quick question on the migration - I have about 800 items in my MP and another 200 or so currently my the VMM folder which I started using with the first beta. When the migration takes place, will it create 800 new folders with all of the contents in my VMM folder in my inventory? This will make my inventory huge, but I understand as long as an individual folder isn't too large, then everything is ok.

Reply to Tamarsk - view message

I am praying we will be able to use Singularity, or at least Firestorm, ASAP. I dread having to even log in to the LL viewer (which changes most of my prefs in addition to lacking tools and generally being a PITA to use).

Reply to Oz Linden - view message

Oz Linden wrote:
Probably not because we've just done a promotion and we don't feel we need to push a new update on everyone immediately just to get it to Merchants, but it's available now and we don't know of any problems with it.

Oz, just a tip, stick with development, don't consider a career change to Public Relations.

Honored Resident

[ Edited ]

Reply to Oz Linden - view message

Gee, thanks, LL. Way to tell TPV developers and their users to see figure 1. For that matter, telling merchants that their only option to manage their Marketplaces - for some, their RL livelihoods - is to use a pre-release viewer is...uhm...trying to find polite words here...

I blogged about this. The Firestorm team is deciding what to do about this right now. We'll give our users something. It's too important not to. None of the options are good. 

Topics: 30
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0

Reply to Pamela Galli - view message

I'm with you on that. I downloaded and logged in with the required SL viewer yesterday. Was the first time I've used their viewer in nearly 2 years. It was an abomination then and it still is today.

Reply to Tonya Souther - view message

Tonya Souther wrote:

Gee, thanks, LL. Way to tell TPV developers and their users to see figure 1. For that matter, telling merchants that their only option to manage their Marketplaces - for some, their RL livelihoods - is to use a pre-release viewer is...uhm...trying to find polite words here...

I blogged about this. The Firestorm team is deciding what to do about this right now. We'll give our users something. It's too important not to. None of the options are good. 

Thanks for the explanation Tonya (and for providing a functional viewer!).

What I don't understand and LL is too busy to explain:

WHY THE 23RD AS A DEADLINE?  Is it someone's birthday or something? 

Why not just wait until the TPV teams can be ready with a roll out.  Having to log into the LL crap viewer every time I upload to MP (usually several times a day) is going to be more proof of my growing suspicion that LL has a special hatred of merchants.

Reply to Tonya Souther - view message

Tonya Souther wrote:

... telling merchants that their only option to manage their Marketplaces - for some, their RL livelihoods - is to use a pre-release viewer is...uhm...trying to find polite words here...

No polite words needed.  Imagine this:-

"Dear Oz, thank you for buying your new car from us, we're pleased to tell you that you will take delivery of it by the 23rd because it's our end of month sales deadline and we need the numbers.  Oh by the way, the braking system is new and a bit pre-release, we don't anticipate any problems with them but we'll upgrade them when it comes in for service.  Thank you for buying from Dodgy Motors, have a nice day!"

Dramatic?  Once again LL fail to understand that some merchants RL income is derived from the platform.  To use the words "just for merchants" came across as dismissive and offhand.

Maybe it wasn't meant that way, some developers should never be put in front of humans as they're renowned for choosing their words poorly when dealing with the wetware interface.