Mesh hair is 2012

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The mesh hair from Wasabi Pills is good. Been wearing one style another from there since December. Only problem is that my breasts might not be large enough. Two of the styles flow over the breasts, of are supposed to. Kind of a largest gap between hair and me. Still, good hair.

Need to find who all us makes Mesh hair, though. Expand my collection.

The one problem I have with mesh hair is that it has this odd graphical glitch that makes it look like there's an invisiprim around the whole thing. Not sure why or how but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I hope LL is trying to fix that problem, other than that one issue mesh hair is fantastic.

I haven't had that problem Penny - but I've only tried one or two mesh hairs that came with full avatars like a cat avatar I picked up.

Is this something I'll notice standing near a transparancy like with invisiprims?

My problem wish mesh hair is it turns with the neck, but doesn't flow with movement. All my hair is dreadlocks in one form or another, and I'm used to it flowing and twirling as I dance or run.

Penny Patton wrote:

The one problem I have with mesh hair is that it has this odd graphical glitch that makes it look like there's an invisiprim around the whole thing. Not sure why or how but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Right Penny, I have seen the same problem in two mesh hairs what I have tried. My guess is that in the mesh textures there has been used some textures with alpha channels. So against certain kind of background one sees the alpha surrounding the mesh hair. Very similar effect as with invisiprims in shoes for example.

My guess is that the only way to avoid that effect is not to use textures with alpha channels in mesh hairs at all.

Buying mesh hair is a bit tricky now. In the shop it might look ok. But then when looked against water for example, one might see what Penny described, if alpha channel textures were used in the hair.

Some of the mesh hair is really nice, but the problem is having to use a mesh viewer...over half of SL still has not moved to the newer viewers; so, most people see mesh as a big blob.  For me, the mesh products just are not wonderful enough to overcome the clunky chat/im/notice and edit appearance modes of the new viewers.  I take the Firestorm mesh viewer out regularly to make sure that I am not missing anything wonderful and keep my fingers crossed that the Firestorm team can find a way to resolve the things that are the most irritating in the new interface

Lyra Blackthorne wrote:

Some of the mesh hair is really nice, but the problem is having to use a mesh viewer...over half of SL still has not moved to the newer viewers; so, most people see mesh as a big blob.

[12:25] Mumbles (charlar.linden): Currently we see about 60% of all sessions are with a mesh-enabled viewer.

[12:25] Mumbles (charlar.linden): and about 2/3 of unique users are running a mesh viewer on a given day.

[12:25] Mumbles (charlar.linden): It's growing, the biggest bump was when Phoenix released support.

Source.

I have gotten several sets of long mesh hair and really like how it hangs down my chest and doesn't move through my body when my head turns.  Unfortunately there is always this large gap between my chest and the hair which can only be solved by making my chest larger.  Somebody asked me once when I had mesh hair on if I was suppose to be human because they could see through my head.  I almost wish there was a way to wear both regular hair and mesh hair at the same time and only have the appropriate one show on another's viewer depending on if they have a mesh enabled viewer.

I have recently bought a mesh body and some demo mesh clothes so I can experiment with and have run into a few issues with the items not showing up when worn.

Miyo Darcy wrote:

I would also say yet where Phoenix has Mesh Support.. most of SL residents can see mesh now.

ya cool viewer has it as well..infact thats where phoenix got it's mesh from was the creator of the coolviewer..same with the first version of firestorm v2 mesh release and just about any other viewer that is v1 mesh..

there are not many without it...

i mean that are up in the ranks of majority  of viewers being used..i'm sure there are some still using non mesh..but for the most part ..the most popular viewers have ability to see mesh if people were to update to those versions..all  though some may have switched back..because with v1's and mesh..it means more glitches..and some people may just not really feel the need vs the glitches..

• 5 months later...

And this is why one has to love the forum.  I came on today to post and ask for opinion's on Mesh hair.  I brought a few from a shop that I am seriously thinking of buying the affiliate... I think next to shoes, hair is my next biggest spend in SL.  This shop makes mesh at a price that is way too affordable, I have a feeling my inventory will be very full soon.  

But I was curious to know if others thought mesh hair was a good buy.  Found this thread and it has answered my questions. My worry was the viewer and being seen as bald to some, which is one of the reasons I have avoided full mesh clothing so far.  The positive for mesh in my book, was the fact that the hair did not seem to disappear into your body and that was confirmed on this thread. 

Thank you to all that posted on here :)

I so agree with this. Not for myself but I know a few friends that are looking for more options of short mesh hair for men. :catvery-happy:

I like mesh hair in general though miss the fluffyness and movement of flexi sometimes.

Just wanted to list some places to check out MESH HAIR.

Keep in mind, these places began selling hair before mesh was out, so they will have both mesh and non-mesh hair.  If you want the type of hair that moves with your body (doesn't go through your body) make sure to try styles that are RIGGED MESH.  Also, ALWAYS TRY THE DEMO before buying rigged mesh hair; it is non-modifiable.

Here's the List:

• Exile
  • Magika
  • Lelutka
  • Elikatira
  • Wasabi Pills- unique styles, some hair with 2 'boob' sizes, a few men's hairs
  • Truth- some of their mesh hairs have flexi attachments
  • Dela
  • Lamb
  • Ploom
  • Alice Project-some of their mesh hairs have flexi attachments

Further Notes:
-The first 6 are my favourites.
-I recommend checking the in-world stores, not just Marketplace.  Often, not all the styles are shown on Marketplace. 

Conifer Dada wrote:

I tried a free mesh hair and, while I'm sure it took a lot of skill to create, it still had a solid 'plastic' look about it.  Perhaps the answer will be hair that's part mesh, part flexi.

Long mesh only hair will always look unnatural.  It does not behave at all like a real hair does because mesh is not flexi. It just moves and bends with body (if it's rigged).  It has that solid feel - a bit like system hair.  Mixing flexi prims with mesh hair gives a little bit better results, not perfect though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.