Male Freebies

BothamFidor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A simple question. Now the Marketplace is a waste of time for freebies (if they removed the demos claiming to be freebies there would be almost nothing left) Yadni's is five years in the past and it seems that the bigger self-proclamed freebie places are full of scams to sucker you into handing over L$ when you don't notice that the items are not in fact free, where does a guy go to equip a new alt for nothing, since I'm not handing over my hard earned McD bucks to pretentious amateur designers who don't know what to charge.

Can you suggest three places I should go, apart from Free Dove, which is still OK but doesn't seem to check on the stuff it displays nowadays?

Thanks in advance.

ETA Don't bother suggesting NCI either; the stuff there is so stale if it was bread you could play frisbee with it.

Lilah Munster wrote:

There's currently a grid-wide For Men Only hunt going on.  That would be a start.

CBA jumping around wannabe designers who hide their minimised hunt tokens in satellites and mines, even changing the published name of the gift so you can't find it using the Phoenix area search facility.

Although maybe I'll send the gf out to look and she can tp me when she has found the stuff, so thanks for the idea.

Carrie's Lingerie has an instore hunt going on right now - 12 items hidden around the store, many of which are for women but some of which are for men. I know there's at least a pair of boxers and a cute T-shirt for guys, and I found the hunt to be interesting and fun.

It seems the problem is that you want quality items and have high standards, which is great except you don't actually want to pay anything for those quality items. Meaning your best bet is probably group gifts from groups that are free to join and offer either only male gifts, or both male and female gifts.

The Rock (I believe that was the name) used to have a wide selection of free items, many for men. True, not all items were completely free (some cost up to perhaps $15L), but most were free, and it wasn't too hard to check the price before hitting the buy button. I haven't been in quite some time, though, so I have no idea if they still exist or not.

Lilah Munster wrote:

There's currently a grid-wide For Men Only hunt going on.  That would be a start.

CBA jumping around wannabe designers who hide their minimised hunt tokens in satellites and mines, even changing the published name of the gift so you can't find it using the Phoenix area search facility.

Although maybe I'll send the gf out to look and she can tp me when she has found the stuff, so thanks for the idea.

Me:

So you're lazy and a misogynist?  Very little in life is truly free. If you want to get SL clothing the easy way, you can buy it with your hard-earned money, wear crappy-looking freebies, or get other people to do the the work of finding the good freebies for you. Most of us who know where to get good looking freebies (including the girlfriend you want to go hunting for you) have put in some work to figure out where the good freebies are located.

I don't really think you're a bad guy, but your response to this advice above really irked me.

Yes, I was irked too. I am usually full of advice when someone asks for help to find good freebies, but I was put off by this guy. I often do male hunts, because i have 5 avatars and I am always looking for a good freebie. You can get a nice looking avatar for next to nothing, but it will cost you in time. It is also so many blogs who is dedicated to hunts and freebies only, like the one mentioned here already. But oh, maybe you have to scroll down a few pages before you find a male outfit you like... You can't be bothered? 

Matty Luminos wrote:

KMADD has a quality freebie selection.

Menstuff lounge

Mascienenwerk

SF Designs (one new freebie item each month)

INDI (one new freebie each week)

Thanks Matty. Just the facts, with no hyperemotional schtick. That's the sort of response I appreciate.

Those others sound like my wife, who doesn't even like getting off her backside to hand me the TV remote.

BothamFidor wrote:

Matty Luminos wrote:

KMADD has a quality freebie selection.

Menstuff lounge

Mascienenwerk

SF Designs (one new freebie item each month)

INDI (one new freebie each week)

Thanks Matty. Just the facts, with no hyperemotional schtick. That's the sort of response I appreciate.

Those others sound like my wife,
who doesn't even like getting off her backside to hand me the TV remote.

Do you get off yours to hand it to her?

Botham, do you understand what freebies are really even there for? Alot of those 'Old' freebies are still there for a reason, and the same reason new freebies are out there.

Freebies are meant as a mainstay on style, but a generally used as a tool to give you ideas on how you might make some of those items yourself. You have to understand that long ago, SL was made up of many people in SL who primarily came into SL to design and learn from that.

My wings are from the 2004 era and even back then I wouldn't claim they were 'The Best', but they were 'Of My Making' and I was (and still am) very proud of them. I offered them free for  folks such as  yourself to get ideas on how to build your own things and if that idea called for wings, mine could be on hand to give an example, and nothing more.

I hold alot of respect for any creator out there who has taken the time to make something and then offer it up so that other's might learn and grow from it. I think many forget this fact and history of the freebie.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.