the Corn Field

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Storm I remember the original version where people who committed low level "crimes" in world were sent. Back then there were frequently Lindens in world who enjoyed interacting with residents. A friend and me caught up with one and asked if we could be sent there for a few mnutes just to see what this mysterious (and dreaded) place looked like. It honestly creeped me the hell out. Once in you were totally cut off from the rest of the grid.

It's cool to see the place revived so that newer people can get a taste of this part of SL history.

I do not recall this from last year but there are four G-rated sims linked together (The Corn Field1 -> 4) and one M-rated sim (The Corn Field).  I found these suspicious looking dudes today.  One appears drunk and the other entranced by the fire.

ETA:  Cannot access the M-rated sim.  Spoookey!

cornfield2011_001.jpg

Historical note...

The Corn Field - that is, the original one - is still around and remains closed access. It's above Bay City and the Gulf of Lauren.

The Corn Field 1, The Corn Field 2, The Corn Field 3, and The Corn Field 4 are copies of this redressed for Hallowe'en in 2009, and are open for business.

The original idea of the Corn Field, devised by Blue Linden, was a place to put griefers who weren't bad enough to be fully suspended off the service, but still needed a "time out." Named after the location Anthony sent people in the old Twilight Zone episode "It's A Good Life." It was set up as a separate "mini grid," much like the teen grid prior to this year. Unfortunately, it proved to be problematic, as (a) people who otherwise would not be trouble were *trying* to be just bad enough to be sent there, and (b) there had been issues transferring accounts back out of this mini grid.  So, essentially, it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

For a while, friendly Lindens would send folks there just for the fun of it. Which led to things like this:

I got to visit it twice before the public use. It was pretty creepy without all the extra ghosties.

300680.jpg

Liisa Runo wrote:

Thanks for this extra slice of Corn Field history. I didn't join Second Life until November 2007, so I missed the original Corn Field being opened, and to have an account of a 2006 person's first-hand experience is enlightening.  And the comments afterwards.

Sounds very naive of LL to think they could somehow teach people a lesson, rather like the UK ASBOs that the lawless wear as a badge of honour. 

Thank you everyone for the great pictures and information about the Corn Field. I was not aware that it was open for Halloween but now that I do, I will be visiting. I am a Twilight Zone fan and hearing about the Corn Field was the thing that first gave me the idea of joining SL. I came to SL in 2008 so have never seen it but will go and take pics for Halloween. Thanks again and I will fnd out how to post pics to this forum. I hope :) Still trying to figure out the cool badge thing. All in good time I suppose. Thanks again - I am off to explore the Corn Field. Sapphire

Ian Undercroft wrote:

It wasn't me, Officer Jaxxon! Honest.

If I did shoot him, it was reasonable self-defence. He came at me with a pumpkin.

Have mercy. Please don't subject me to your interrogation techniques. I've heard all about them and they make my eyes water!

Nope, no can do...thankfully for me, you're my #1 suspect :matte-motes-silly:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.