Merry Christmas!

40 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Used to be halloween, now we're starting this before labour day?

Gawd I hope not this early, I still have holiday lag from last year.. It felt like the holidays were 6 months long as early as they started them last year..

Then it's gonna be nothing but themed outfits and everything until after Easter.. lol

I'm just not ready yet..

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What does it feel like to have Christmas in the winter? 

Im in the southern hemisphere and we have it in the summer so snowmen, snow decorations never made sense to me. 

Sunburn, bbqs and beer makes sense to me.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Im in the southern hemisphere and we have it in the summer so snowmen, snow decorations never made sense to me. 

It's exactly the opposite in the north hemisphere. Snow is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Christmas.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

It's exactly the opposite in the north hemisphere. Snow is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Christmas.

The first word associated with Christmas for me is STRESS. All the other holidays can be mostly ignored, but Christmas is imposed on everyone, in the UK at least, and takes more energy to avoid than tolerate.
I really resent it when that attitude creeps into SL as well, especially those virtual neighbours who decorate their homes festively and then are never seen again and leave their awful snow belching monstosities for the 'benefit' of the surrounding citizens.

• Like 4

Just now, Raspberry Crystal said:

The first word associated with Christmas for me is STRESS. All the other holidays can be mostly ignored, but Christmas is imposed on everyone, in the UK at least, and takes more energy to avoid than tolerate.
I really resent it when that attitude creeps into SL as well, especially those virtual neighbours who decorate their homes festively and then are never seen again and leave their awful snow belching monstosities for the 'benefit' of the surrounding citizens.

The Santa part is fun. But the aggressive consumerism part is pretty awful.

• Like 3

I always decorate my SL for Christmas and change the landscaping to snowy. Don't know what I'll do this year because I'm in an LL home for the first time ever.

Wish we still got snow where we live in the U.K. Twenty years ago we would often be snowed in for days at a time the snow was so deep here. For the last ten though we just get rain (climate change is obvious, whatever the cause). We both love snow and one of our most memorable days was a snow-locked day that turned sunny, and we walked to the local park and picnicked in a snow field!

We love Christmas here; my wife and I celebrate it (or rather, Wintertime / Yule / Solstice, being non-religious) for probably two full months. It's party time! And cuddling up on the sofa under a blanket, binge-watching something. (My favourites are winter classics like The Thing and Die Hard, and we're due a True Blood rewatch this year.)

Agreed re. the consumerism though. Hate that, and the way all the shops force it down our throats long in advance even if we are enjoying the season at home. We do gifts of course; it wouldn't be the same without a bunch of presents under the tree. My wife has a naughty habit of checking out her gifts to see if she can guess what they are; she will weigh them, shake them, sniff them... it was the first thing she would do when getting home from work if I had secreted a new one under the tree. One year, that new one was special. I sneaked it under just as we left for work. We got home, I went upstairs to change, and listened... within a minute there was a loud hooting noise almost drowned out by the scream from my wife. I made a gift with a movement alarm inside it!

513.jpg.83d0188d2c9d2d6786c9617d2db79307.jpg

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Christmas for me represents the birth of Jesus, so until we've arrived at Advent it's just not that season for me. :) 

He knows how to throw a Birthday party every year. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ananoelle said:

Its very hit or miss now whether we have snow.at Xmas in canada. I remember a friend in Australia celebrated with fruity cocktails on her deck with family in the sun which I though was so cool. It was overcast and miserable here

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Its very hit or miss now whether we have snow.at Xmas in canada. I remember a friend in Australia celebrated with fruity cocktails on her deck with family in the sun which I though was so cool. It was overcast and miserable here

We just had our first snowfall where I live in NZ last week, there wasn't much but it was a nice change and the first we've had in years.  In years past when we had more snow, it usually came down end of June or early July.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

I always decorate my SL for Christmas and change the landscaping to snowy. Don't know what I'll do this year because I'm in an LL home for the first time .

Put one of those huge Christmas inflatables on the roof

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

We just had our first snowfall where I live in NZ last week, there wasn't much but it was a nice change and the first we've had in years.  In years past when we had more snow, it usually came down end of June or early July.

Oh wow!