Inconvenient Truths about Second Life

1 minute ago, diamond Marchant said:

Uhhh… heat?

I like this topic. Please let’s not derail it.

OMG!!! My bad!! I meant "ultraviolet"!!! /me slinks away into a corner....

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Because Gen Z's only use voice spam, not text chat, and don't know advanced letters like "L" and "S".

Could it not be that you only hear the Gen Z-ers who voice spam? You wouldn't notice the ones who don't, or who just type. 

Gen Z notoriously hates answering the phone, even. Lots of studies and surveys about their anxiety in regards to that. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

There IS a truth. An ultimate and all pervasive truth. We are simply not capable of understanding it. Just as we can't perceive infrared, like some insects and animals can. We are ultimately limited in our understanding of the "truth"  by our physical bodies.

OMG, I DID mean to say "ultraviolet"!!!

Edited by SandorWren

3 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Could it not be that you only hear the Gen Z-ers who voice spam? You wouldn't notice the ones who don't, or who just type. 

Gen Z notoriously hates answering the phone, even. Lots of studies and surveys about their anxiety in regards to that. 

I'm a "boomer", and I hate answering the phone too LOL!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My answer to thread:

Sl's never going to be as popular as it was in the mid-late 2000s. 

It'll be better graphically and feature-wise, but the cultural hype and user peak are long behind it.

I don't think that's controversial, though. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

My answer to thread:

Sl's never going to be as popular as it was in the mid-late 2000s. 

It'll be better graphically and feature-wise, but the cultural hype and user peak are long behind it.

I don't think that's controversial, though. 

Would agree that it has had it's heyday...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

SL IS important to those of use that are still here.

I'd argue it's important still in general - that its stood the test of time and whatnot. It's probably important as to why, when comparatables have not. 

I don't think, though, that it'll ever be a story on CNN or 60 Minutes or whatnot like it was around 2007, though. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hey!  I frequently am barefoot, but I'm a barefoot boho hippie girl with a foot tattoo that everybody needs to see!

I do this too, and I get some grief from it. Do people question you as well for choosing to go without shoes? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:
21 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hey!  I frequently am barefoot, but I'm a barefoot boho hippie girl with a foot tattoo that everybody needs to see!

I do this too, and I get some grief from it. Do people question you as well for choosing to go without shoes? 

So far nobody has. They might wonder at a formal event, but usually I find some sort of shoes to wear to those, reluctantly.  I have some elven-like boots I like, and what is known as shaet-stompers that I sometimes wear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Boredom is a choice.  If you're not finding anything that excites you in SL at any given time, log out.

Most do and then don't log in again. That's why the SL population is declining (another inconvenient truth).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

I don't think, though, that it'll ever be a story on CNN or 60 Minutes or whatnot like it was around 2007, though. 

There'll still be the occasional story about SL still keeping going when nearly everyone has forgotten about it. Some stories might make major news media and some might even show SL in a favourable light. 😐

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So far nobody has. They might wonder at a formal event, but usually I find some sort of shoes to wear to those, reluctantly.  I have some elven-like boots I like, and what is known as shaet-stompers that I sometimes wear.

I was recently at Tanya’s Coffeeshop and had someone tell me they wouldn’t let that floor touch their bare feet, I was also told it looked like I was careless about my appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Most do and then don't log in again. That's why the SL population is declining (another inconvenient truth).

Most?  If people don't log back in again we really have no idea WHY they didn't.  Guessing is a fun way to combat boredom, though.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any time there is an update to bodies/heads (Evo X, Belleza Gen X, Maitreya X, Reborn , etc) or to SL features (mesh,  tattoo layers, outfit folders,  bento,  BOM, PBR, windlight) some people are going to HATE the update and change HATE with the fire of a 1000 dying suns.  If it's SL then it's going to ruin/be the end of SL.   And some people will love and embrace them and think they are Best Thing Ever! 

And the reality is somewhere in between.

• Like 3

You’ll never own an oceanfront property because they’re either ridiculously priced, or the rental people will outbid you almost every time only to stick a fugly ancient build and coalesced landscape from 2012 with an equally fugly sky icon on the map. 🫡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Try setting a goal whenever SL seems boring...like...

"Today I will meet 2 new people and strike up a conversation"

"Today I will learn how such and such was created and try my hand at it'

"Today I will find another beautiful environment to appreciate"

"Today I will learn what kind of vehicle I like best in SL"

"Today I will look on the Wiki and see how to script something very simple"

"Today I will call it a day, and come back another time"

When I'm bored, SL is boring, so I log off and go do something else. Like hanging around on these forums or (worst case scenario) work on the laundry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No matter how many features and possibilities are added to Second Life, some people will still complain about it. (On topic.)

Because not every new feature or possibility is per definition an improvement.
And the way it is implemented can be a huge factor too IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

At least half of so-called business owners are just roleplaying #girlboss and have no idea how to behave in a professional manner.

Everyone is older than you think (and at least 20 years older than their avatar.)

A substantial minority are spending more than they can afford and getting themselves into RL financial trouble.

• Like 4