Non-mesh avatars keep out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

No I wasn't, I was talking about the mesh first and then I talked about the skins. I said the mesh is created to be smooth and flawless. Please re-read what I siad.

What I read was, the mesh is created smoothly and unless you put on wrinkles and things..

My point was, you can adjust the mesh from the sliders to build features that show aged as well.. That there are mesh heads that have more freedom than others to do that.. A skin can help sell those features even more.. but just slapping a skin on and not building those features, it just doesn't sell it as well..

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

it just came across as really defensive, overexplaining that EvoX is popular and claiming I said I derender people with EvoX heads. I wasn’t criticizing it at all, just explaining why they render differently before mentioning the event that was a huge fail where they got stuck that way. 

It doesn't look that way to me, then again I don't think normal. A few close friends of mine think I'm H.F.A

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What I read was, the mesh is created smoothly and unless you put on wrinkles and things..

My point was, you can adjust the mesh from the sliders to build features that show aged as well.. That there are mesh heads that have more freedom than others to do that.. A skin can help sell those features even more.. but just slapping a skin on and not building those features, it just doesn't sell it as well..

Okay so I was talking about mesh and putting wrinkles on with skin, but at the same time you can add wrinkles into the mesh itself. I've worked in blender before, I was talking about the creation of the mesh from creation, inside of a program like Blender or Maya 3d or Zbrush. Even if you say about skin, people will have a youthful look to them regardless because it doesn't follow real life logic or norms. 

Edited by Starberry Passion

This was a head I never finished, I started to work on it, was a ball jointed doll head, for an elven doll. I never got to the ears and have to apply retopology to it after smoothing it out and fixing up the mouth and nose more. I'm not bringing it into second life but wanted to see if I could make it.

60bebb47497989bd80df39922e5dbf4b.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

Okay so I was talking about mesh and putting wrinkles on with skin, but at the same time you can add wrinkles into the mesh itself. If worked in blender before, I was talking about the creation of the mesh from creation, inside of a program like Blender or Maya 3d or Zbrush. Even if you say about skin, people will have a youthful look to them regardless because it doesn't follow real life logic or norms. 

I had no indication you were talking about in 3d programs until now.. I've had my share of working in those myself. Blender Maya and Max.

Maybe one day when I retire I'll go back to that, there just isn't enough time in the day anymore.. hehehe

Aaayways, I've been referring to what we have to work with in the container of this grid.. What is out there now and what we have to do to achieve it.. Also that it can be done..

We have material layers in some heads and the skins we can get..

I'm just saying we can adjust mesh heads that we have now on the grid that have the freedom to do so, to have older more aged features, just as you can to younger aged features..

You may not be able to take Prim or Kaya head from lelutke and get an 80 year old woman.. hehehe

But there are heads that we can build the features and with the right skins to pull off a pretty decent looking older avatar..

What the reality is, is more than likely many people are just creating younger looks rather than older or just buying  looks because they don't mess with the sliders..

I don't know how many times I see people asking where they can buy a shape like this or just take off and use the shape that comes with a head rather than trying to create their own look..

I remember when that's the only way we could get a different looks was with the sliders.. Because we didn't have mesh and there was only so many skin creators.. you really had to tweak to pull yourself out of the crowd..

Now it's like reversed and way less people even touch the sliders.. I think it's much easier nowadays to pull yourself out of the crowd, because so many just hit the road running with a shape they never molded..

I should start selling my shapes.. LOL

Kidding hehehe

I could never think of selling mine. I've always just given them away.

Aaaanyways, I'm going shopping.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

9 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

This is what I see most people doing with their reborn bodies (below). Tiny upper torso that explodes downwards. There's always been fad body shapes in sl, even when we had system avatars. Anyone remeber the pony rider shape circa 2010?

reborn.jpg

This is tame compared to most of this type of avatar I see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

She was complaining about clubs not wanting non-mesh avatars and then turn around and tell me she hates someone because of how they look. 

I don't  hate the person because of how they look, I hate the look itself, not the person. They are free to be whatever they want to be. However I'm also free to not interact with them.

Like at my club, I would never have a sign out front that says nasty big butted avis not allowed, they are welcome,  just like anyone else

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

The Lara X is the same body, scept with fixes.

The LaraX is not the same body. It is a completely new body, a new sculpt, and a new rig. The only area that is basically the same as the 5.3 body is the hands and feet. Everything else is different. The differences may not be readily apparent on first inspection, but the longer you use the body and the more 5.3 clothing you try to use with the X the more you realize just how different the X is from the 5.3

The above really isn't on topic though, so to get back on topic, while I don't discriminate against those who wear system bodies, I also have trouble not focusing on those areas of the system head/body that I find very awkward and misshaped no matter how well the shape and/or skin was made that the person is using with their system body. It's one of those once you see it you can't unsee it situations; however, it's the personality of the person behind the screen that makes them sexy, IMO, not the pixels on the screen. It's just nice not to have the pixels be a distraction when all I really want to do is focus on the person. So, I can understand why some land/business owners might restrict admittance based on mesh body parts, I still think it's discriminatory to do so.

I will also agree with some of the statements saying that wearing mesh body parts do not guarantee a good looking avatar. Honestly, I'd rather look at a system avatar than some of these mesh bodies that are so distorted they couldn't possibly exist in the physical world. If your feet, ankles, and knees couldn't possibly support the weight of your backside without breaking there might be a problem. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The LaraX is not the same body. It is a completely new body, a new sculpt, and a new rig. The only area that is basically the same as the 5.3 body is the hands and feet. Everything else is different. The differences may not be readily apparent on first inspection, but the longer you use the body and the more 5.3 clothing you try to use with the X the more you realize just how different the X is from the 5.3

The above really isn't on topic though, so to get back on topic, while I don't discriminate against those who wear system bodies, I also have trouble not focusing on those areas of the system head/body that I find very awkward and misshaped no matter how well the shape and/or skin was made that the person is using with their system body. It's one of those once you see it you can't unsee it situations; however, it's the personality of the person behind the screen that makes them sexy, IMO, not the pixels on the screen. It's just nice not to have the pixels be a distraction when all I really want to do is focus on the person. So, I can understand why some land/business owners might restrict admittance based on mesh body parts, I still think it's discriminatory to do so.

I will also agree with some of the statements saying that wearing mesh body parts do not guarantee a good looking avatar. Honestly, I'd rather look at a system avatar than some of these mesh bodies that are so distorted they couldn't possibly exist in the physical world. If you feet, ankles, and knees couldn't possibly support the weight of your backside without breaking there might be a problem. 

That body is the same except some places that have been fixed, no one can change my personal opinion on the matter. I own the body. I understand the rigging and topology are different, but it still looks like a maitreya lara, just more feminine. I pay attention to the base shape, how it looks, how it feels, the tummy, the hands, the neck, the shoulders, everything on the body.

When i see LaraX I can tell it's a Maitreya body. This is what I mean by being the same, it looks like a Maitreya product.

You can tell who created it based one certain markins and how it's default shape look. Every single team/company making bodies have their own unique look to those.

I can tell maitreya by the butt, the wrists, the legs and the tummy and the feet.

I can tell Legacy by its feet, it's dainty, the curve of the tummy, the breast shape and it's petiteness/slim figure.

I can tell it's a reborn by the legs, the hips/thighs, the upper body. You cannot change the inner thigh shape of a Reborn.

Kupra, you just look at the boobs and the butt and the wrists and see it's an Inithium product.

Edited by Starberry Passion
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

That body is the same except some places that have been fixed, no one can change my personal opinion on the matter. I own the body. I understand the rigging and topology are different, but it still looks like a maitreya lara, just more feminine. I pay attention to the bas shape, how it looks, how it feels, the tummy, the hands, the neck, the shoulders, everything on the body.

That's like saying the tmp, legacy, (all the other legacy bodies) are the same. They may have the same overall style of the brand, but they are different bodies. Perhaps if you were creating for the body you might be more aware of the differences and why saying they are the same body is misinformation. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

That's like saying the tmp, legacy, (all the other legacy bodies) are the same. They may have the same overall style of the brand, but they are different bodies. Perhaps if you were creating for the body you might be more aware of the differences and why saying they are the same body is misinformation. 

No it's not. You can tell TMP and Legacy apart because they don't have the same trademark shape to them, you can tell they are made by two different teams.

I still use TMP on my alt, you can't even shape it the same as you would on a legacy body. You can't wear the same clothing either.

If I can tell that it's a maitreya and it looks like a maitreya, that's a maitreya product.

• Haha 5

So anyway....

Parcel owners get to decide what is allowed on their land.  People on their own get to decide who they're going to SLex with.  We all have different ideas of the standards of beauty that we find attractive.  Everyone has their own kinks.

Great discussion. 

If a person logs in only to jack or Jill off and only visits 3 sex clubs on adult land, of course they will think all of SL is just like their experience of SL. (And they will argue it to the point of defensively attacking anyone who says there is more)

Personally,  I think excluding non-mesh avatars is excluding some really interesting, fun, and entertaining personalities. I spend my SL in a lot of very different places and enjoy the variety. There are some who never leave their tiny SL bubbles and can't imagine SL as anything different than what they personally see.  Their perceived majority is actually a minority when SL is taken as a whole.

This isn't an opinion thread on the most attractive mesh body available or even which is most popular on the grid at the moment.  It is about the requirements to wear mesh bodies in certain areas. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If it were the same body, I wouldn't be working with it again.  Editing the shape is a lot different compared to the older version.  I'll have to sort through older clothes for Maitreya to see which ones will work with LaraX.  Strappy shirts are a no go, I'm sure and those were the ones that bothered me the most on the original.   Ugly shoulders...shudders.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

TMP body

17e735ba8a988980e31e8c3e5eb5bfd8.jpg

one of my alts had the free TMP body, she looks great. I had to max out the foot size to make them look realistic. I think TMP is the worst for tiny feet.

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

one of my alts had the free TMP body, she looks great. I had to max out the foot size to make them look realistic. I think TMP is the worst for tiny feet.

TMP was one of the first, if not the first, to actually rig the feet so they changed with the sliders. You were NEVER meant to wear the feet at the size right out of the box. The user manual for body said to put them at 40, if I remember correctly, and adjust from there depending on your shape. I had the original TMP and used it quite extensively and created for it before Maitreya came out with Lara.

• Like 3

• Moles

Friendly reminder that some disputes really should be conducted in personal messages, if they must be conducted at all, rather than in a public forum.

Also general (and probably specific, too) discussions of lookism are not on topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Personally,  I think excluding non-mesh avatars is excluding some really interesting, fun, and entertaining personalities. I spend my SL in a lot of very different places and enjoy the variety. There are some who never leave their tiny SL bubbles and can't imagine SL as anything different than what they personally see.  Their perceived majority is actually a minority when SL is taken as a whole.

Agree. I'd go further and apply this to just about every style of avatar under the sun. I can't stand avatar restrictions generally. I've had conversations with squirrels and mushrooms that are just as interesting and engaging as the ones I've had with more universally accepted "attractive" avatars.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Also general (and probably specific, too) discussions of lookism are not on topic.

I think I need further clarification on this statement. My understanding is that the reason behind discriminating against system avatars is completely based on lookism. I had to look up the definition of lookism, so perhaps I'm just not understanding the use of the word. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think I need further clarification on this statement. My understanding is that the reason behind discriminating against system avatars is completely based on lookism. I had to look up the definition of lookism, so perhaps I'm just not understanding the use of the word. 

The definitions were removed and I agree, that's basically what any discrimination in SL is based on, how one looks. 

• Like 1

• Moles
11 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Obviously anything we do in SL is rooted in First Life ideas and concepts because we're all of us individuals in First Life and that's where we get all our ideas from.

However, I am trying to keep this discussion rooted in SL and not allow it to spin off into general discussions that are equally applicable to First Life, because that inevitably ends up with the thread getting locked for being hopelessly off topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I don't go to clubs much, but started seeing this in some roleplayers' personal ToS in their profiles, that they won't play with the no mesh commoners. Sounds like they became their own unrelaxed "you don't play with the dirty kids from that road down there" parents?

No idea if they really go through with it; of course, they can just walk by a non-meshie, but what in group RP? Honestly sounds silly. Or is it a code to discourage attempts at more personal roleplay by non-all-meshies? 

In any case, I can see it being a thing set by sim (or club or whatever) owners, if they want to be like that, but by single people visiting someone else's roleplay sim... 

• Like 2

As someone who used to bounce from club to club to club a lot, one of the major reasons why a growing number, but still a minority, of clubs simply refuse entry to system avatars is a simple one.

The majority of griefers...are using system avatars.

Now am i saying that the majority of people using system avatars ARE greifers?  No i'm not, but what i am saying is when i see a system avatar show up, a part of me is thinking "are they gonna greif?".

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Vic Mornington said:

The majority of griefers...are using system avatars.

Fixed that for you.
Plus: to avoid griefers, they start to grief others themselves?  Way to go, IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.