Non-mesh avatars keep out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to start out by saying, yes the owner has an absolute right to decide who can enter their premises. 

Now that we have that out of the way…

For the longest time Adult entertainment establishments have insisted that their staff must be 100% mesh, and I can understand that. They only want “Top Shelf” avatars in order to attract tipping customers. 

But I’m starting to notice a new trend, where club owners insist the customers be 100% mesh as well. I took a tp from a male aquaintance, and before anyone was fully rezzed I got an im from a staff member saying all guests must be 100% mesh. My response was LOLOL, I’m out of here, but before I could decide where to go, I got bounced. It was one of thise mysogyny clubs, where the “gentlemen” could have their way with the damaged goods. 

The funniest part was the $1000L joining fee. I guess for that price they expect only 100% mesh sl*ts.

I was randomly checking groups in someones profile, and there it was again, only mesh avis allowed.

Is this a new trend? Considering that one can derender any avatars that don’t meet someones high standards, it seems conterproductive to ban that segment of the grid that isn’t 100% mesh.

Just my thoughts.  I’ve been away for a week, and the desire to constantly post and reply has been broken. Hopefully I won’t fall back into that rut.

😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Is this a new trend?

Nope. Been a thing since I returned in 2020.

The very second I messaged my long-time friend the day I returned, she told me all about mesh and said I need to go out immediately and give my entire inventory and avatar a makeover. Since then, I've run across a few "mesh only" venues and seen some notes in profiles. Definitely not new.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I don't agree with the policy, but it is definitely their prerogative. I suppose the thinking is they don't want to have a bunch of newbie looking avatars in their place in order to project a certain image. I have to admit, I am always surprised when I encounter a very long time user that is still not mesh in certain adult places, yet somehow, they manage lol. To each their own, including deciding what kind of crowd you want I suppose. Still, it does seem rather discriminatory, but is it all that different than no furries, no child avs, no female avs, no male avs, all of which are common?

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I don't agree with the policy, but it is definitely their prerogative. I suppose the thinking is they don't want to have a bunch of newbie looking avatars in their place in order to project a certain image. I have to admit, I am always surprised when I encounter a very long time user that is still all mesh in certain adult places, yet somehow, they manage lol. To each their own, including deciding what kind of crowd you want I suppose. Still, it does seem rather discriminatory, but is it all that different than no furries, no child avs, no female avs, no male avs, all of which are common?

Never under estimate a non mesh avatar. I have three of them visiting my sets on a regular base and they are heavy tippers.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Just my thoughts.  I’ve been away for a week, and the desire to constantly post and reply has been broken. Hopefully I won’t fall back into that rut.

😁

Well, you know what they say, one post is too many and a  thousand not enough! 😂 

As far as mesh patrons is concerned, I can understand that they want to cater to an upscale client base so no system riff raff allowed. The chances are not very good that someone who is still dressed in system mesh is going to have the available funds to afford adult entertainment.

For the one or two exceptions, it's worth insisting that everyone dresses with mesh as then you're fairly sure to be attracting those who have both style and the funds to support it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I don't agree with the policy, but it is definitely their prerogative. I suppose the thinking is they don't want to have a bunch of newbie looking avatars in their place in order to project a certain image. I have to admit, I am always surprised when I encounter a very long time user that is still all mesh in certain adult places, yet somehow, they manage lol. To each their own, including deciding what kind of crowd you want I suppose. Still, it does seem rather discriminatory, but is it all that different than no furries, no child avs, no female avs, no male avs, all of which are common?

It's no different at all. As others have said, it is entirely the perogative of the land owner who they let on their sim. I suppose the real life equilvalant would be exclusive clubs with very strict dress codes requiring expensive designer clothing etc. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Nothing new indeed. Some go further than just non-mesh, too. It's more difficult to put in a short manner, so it's less common to see, but it's there.

But yeah, 2015 era non bento mesh head and angular slink physique body is also technically a "full mesh" avatar, but by today standards it's not really much, if any, better than a non mesh ones look wise. Same goes for that free genus head and one of common free mesh bodies for women. Mesh it is, but pretty it is not.

Edited by steeljane42

If money is the reason they are doing it, then they shouldn't be turning away the ones that haven't spent the 20k or so it takes and then some yet, just to get an avatar off the ground in mesh..

Sometimes I wonder where people get their business sense from. You tube?

When I used to manage in a really big club. I made sure the new users felt welcomed, because a first impression really went a long way and many of them kept coming back..

Maybe stop treating users like cattle and more like people and  some of these clubs might actually make a buck to pay their rent and not need those silly donation signs..

I know the club I worked at, was profitable.

Silly wabbits.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

I've not run into that. It's kind of stupid. My head is mesh, my body is system though most of the time its hidden by alpha layers so I can wear clothing designed for Legacy bodies. I don't show skin so it's really not an issue. Probably being non-human would be just as big an issue in those sorts of clubs though.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

To use a quote like this in this way is pretty gross.

Not as gross as linden labs making money from literal nazi content and defending their inclusion of such content as free market capitalism and freedom of speech (it took 3 months to boot a nazi neighbor in 2023)

Sorry if the comment was insensitive. The point was that sim owners have discretion to do with their land whatever they please, and as long as LL makes some money off of it, they don’t care. The sim owner probably isn’t making anything, they just want pretty realdolls to look at. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Ocean Starchild said:

Not as gross as linden labs making money from literal nazi content and defending their inclusion of such content as free market capitalism and freedom of speech (it took 3 months to boot a nazi neighbor in 2023)

I "liked" this in recognition of your comment about LL's tolerance of some really awful stuff -- although it's also not just, or maybe even mostly, about money: LL was founded on the principles of what now seems increasingly like a rather quaint and old-fashioned brand of techno-libertarianism, and there are vestiges of that still in the company. They've moved slowly and reluctantly over the years against content in some measure because there is an honest belief that communities like SL should be self-regulating rather than governed by a top-down model.

On the other hand, your rather clumsy shift from comparing the banning of mesh avatars to the oppression brought upon RL societies by authoritarian governments, to a critique of LL's tolerance of extreme right wing viewpoints is . . . less convincing, maybe?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

This is why I tend to hang out in Lesbian clubs. No creepy guys, considerably less hitting on, judgmental is practically nonexistent and I'm pretty much good to go appearance-wise. There's no demand that I be 100% mesh etc...(even though I am, that's not the point). I can have a conversation without genitals becoming the main topic.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I "liked" this in recognition of your comment about LL's tolerance of some really awful stuff -- although it's also not just, or maybe even mostly, about money: LL was founded on the principles of what now seems increasingly like a rather quaint and old-fashioned brand of techno-libertarianism, and there are vestiges of that still in the company. They've moved slowly and reluctantly over the years against content in some measure because there is an honest belief that communities like SL should be self-regulating rather than governed by a top-down model.

On the other hand, your rather clumsy shift from comparing the banning of mesh avatars to the oppression brought upon RL societies by authoritarian governments, to a critique of LL's tolerance of extreme right wing viewpoints is . . . less convincing, maybe?

Well, I would have deleted my comment but that was made impossible when somebody quoted it. Sorry the apology isn't convincing. Don't know what else to tell ya.

my "if" was also supposed to be a "that"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Starchild said:

Well, I would have deleted my comment but that was made impossible when somebody quoted it. Sorry the apology isn't convincing. Don't know what else to tell ya.

my "if" was also supposed to be a "that"

Fair enough, I'm convinced. The bulk of my comment, however, was about your critique of LL's tolerance of Nazis and other icky people, which I think is only half true and was, in any case, a non sequitur.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Starchild said:

Sorry if the comment was insensitive. The point was that sim owners have discretion to do with their land whatever they please, and as long as LL makes some money off of it, they don’t care. The sim owner probably isn’t making anything, they just want pretty realdolls to look at. 

Sim and land owners have the discretion to do what they want with their land period, as long as it does not violate the TOS or the law. We aren't guaranteed access to anything here really when someone else is paying for it. If someone wants to be discriminatory with the business, it may be bad business, but it is their right to do so.

Comparing that in some way to RL oppression (and the quote you referenced refers specifically to the Nazis) is not only insensitive, it is patently false. You can change your avatar on the fly, you can't change your RL self to not be oppressed (or killed). It was a flippant comment that had nothing to do with the issue at hand, even if you moved the goal posts talking about LL allowing Nazi content.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If I see a non-mesh, "System" HUMAN avatar (Furries don't count), I assume either:

1) They are new

2) They don't care what other people think

3) They are counter-culture, won't be told what to do / how to look, etc.

4) They refuse to follow some "fad" that has gone on more than a decade, and besides, we're not all here for "looks"

5) They do not want to spend L$, and really don't like the new, free Senra mesh avatars too much (or don't know about them)

• Like 6

My sister was one of the last people I know to switch to mesh.  Before then her system avatar was so good at a casual glance you would think it was mesh.  Come to think of it, it would pass close inspection too.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I see a non-mesh, "System" HUMAN avatar (Furries don't count), I assume either:

1) They are new

2) They don't care what other people think

3) They are counter-culture, won't be told what to do / how to look, etc.

4) They refuse to follow some "fad" that has gone on more than a decade, and besides, we're not all here for "looks"

5) They do not want to spend L$, and really don't like the new, free Senra mesh avatars too much (or don't know about them)

There is another reason I have heard from some people. They feel that non-mesh avatars could be more distinctive than the sea of mesh heads that do kind of look samey after awhile. They are attached to their look, and haven't been able to replicate it in mesh, so they stay as they are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If money is the reason they are doing it, then they shouldn't be turning away the ones that haven't spent the 20k or so it takes and then some yet, just to get an avatar off the ground in mesh..

Sometimes I wonder where people get their business sense from. You tube?

Sounds like you and I have read the same book. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:
8 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Never under estimate a non mesh avatar. I have three of them visiting my sets on a regular base and they are heavy tippers.

This. In the past few years, I have come across a few fantastic, highly skilled roleplayers that are classic avatars. And yeah, some might also choose to give high tips when they visit a venue and feel welcome. People can easily miss out on so much when they judge others right off the bat without giving them a chance. Seems silly to ban someone from a place just because they are not mesh. But to each their own.

Edited by Clem Marques
Added 2 sentences. Done editing now.
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.